Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2024, 19:24   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata & Mahindra will need hybrid-petrols that are more fuel-efficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This reduction is just a proposal and would most likely be tabled in the tenure of the next government.
Whatever be it a proposal or policy, people choose Toyota for price increase and not for price cuts .
We are having another thread of reselling with premium for the same HYCROSS.

They have already sold around 80K hybrid cars and still selling around 6-9K units per month, how many months customers should wait for a new government, new minister, new policy and clarity.

It's better that Toyota show their confidence on their own tech and propose, convince current customers with a redeemable compensation if the policy goes live in August/September.
TorqueIndia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 22:47   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathkamath04 View Post
I guess EVs will still be a big shareholder and TM and MnM must still go ahead with EV-only policy.

Hybrids have an inherent flaw, double the maintenance with fewer benefits in terms of FE. The price per km for an EV can be ~1rs/km and for petrol ~8rs/km. Hybrid can get it down to maybe 5rs/km (identical to diesel).

And Hybrids also cost pretty much close to BEVs.
I agree. In a hybrid car, you have BOTH, an engine AND a battery pack to maintain. I settled for Nexon EV after driving Maruti /Toyota hybrids. I don't quite understand what all the fuss is about. Acceleration is poor and all that back and forth switching between electric and petrol was quite irritating to me. FE is more than petrol but not phenomenal like EVs.

Did you notice this? No one asks for justification on extra lakhs invested on hybrids. But go to an EV thread and you will see folks asking you to justify extra investment on EVs. You will see MS excel sheets on break-even points and what not.
pgsagar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 01:31   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post

Did you notice this? No one asks for justification on extra lakhs invested on hybrids. But go to an EV thread and you will see folks asking you to justify extra investment on EVs. You will see MS excel sheets on break-even points and what not.
Before EVs, they used to get a spreadsheet for solar. It's either that or they will say electricity is still produced by coal plants. It's mainly said by people who stay in apartments or people who park their vehicles on streets.
Old 23rd March 2024, 07:55   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
Before EVs, they used to get a spreadsheet for solar. It's either that or they will say electricity is still produced by coal plants. It's mainly said by people who stay in apartments or people who park their vehicles on streets.
People living without a dedicated car parking cannot buy an EV (even if you have a DC charger nearby, it's not good to DC charge every time).

Hybrids will have a market share (maybe 30%) with EV capturing another 30% and ICE capturing the rest. But for Tata and MnM taking a step back and investing in Hybrids does not make any sense. They must continue with the current momentum on EVs, and let the MS and Toyota take the Hybrid share.

By 2050 I am sure EVs will be >50% with the rest shared by Hybrids and ICEs.
sharathkamath04 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 15:00   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
It's mainly said by people who stay in apartments or people who park their vehicles on streets.
So, if I am a teetotaler, should I push for prohibition? Sure, I agree they can't buy EVs owing to their residential status but that doesn't mean they must declare war on EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathkamath04 View Post
People living without a dedicated car parking cannot buy an EV (even if you have a DC charger nearby, it's not good to DC charge every time).

Hybrids will have a market share (maybe 30%) with EV capturing another 30% and ICE capturing the rest. But for Tata and MnM taking a step back and investing in Hybrids does not make any sense. They must continue with the current momentum on EVs, and let the MS and Toyota take the Hybrid share.
Right off the top of my head, I can think of three classes of people, EVs may not work for. 1. People parking on streets. 2. People logging under 500 KMs a month and 3. People driving daily on highways and exceeding 250 KMs a day.

People having to park on streets seldom buy cars (I'm excluding metros where street parking is common). And when they buy, they normally buy a used, beat-up car so that they can leave it out on street with nary a care nor worry about it. I doubt such people will buy a pricier hybrid either.

People driving less than 500 KMs can stick to petrol, unless they just have this desire to buy an EV. I'm one such desire guy with 4 to 500 monthly driving who just bought an EV. But that's just me.

Frankly, I haven't come across anyone who drives more than 250 KMs daily. Other than cab drivers.

And, I agree that Tata Mahindra should stay focussed on EVs. Let Maruti/Toyota make all the hybrids they want. Eventually, everyone has to jump on the EV bandwagon.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 17:22   #81
BHPian

I came to know that according to a new rule in Telangana, Apartment complexes cannot give a provision of personal chargers. Old apartments, i.e., 5 years ago, were permitted. But as per the latest, i.e., 2-3 years old apartments are not permitted to provide personal, but have to install community commercial chargers. This is a bummer for EV owners and will be discourage EV buyers as they will be expensive to charge their cars.
Old 23rd March 2024, 21:14   #82
BHPian

Welcome move for the proposal of tax cut on hybrids, it should have been done long back. Our government thought people will jump from ICE to BEV, like jumping from BS4 to BS6, but the market always shows the reality & truth. Hybrid is an intermediary which shall be honoured atleast till the infrastructure and other niggles are sorted out.

Tata - Oh God No ! A Hybrid rolling out of tata's manufacturing unit will be a ghastly sight ! Can't forget the brand new safari disassembled picture till date.

As for me - Is there an option for diesel hybrid . Diesel has gotten a bad reputation lately because of the Diesel emision scandal. Just consider a small constant speed diesel generator maintaining the charge on a battery pack to run an electric vehicle - that will be simply awesome !
Old 25th March 2024, 00:29   #83
BHPian

If Mahindra rolled out a petrol hybrid XUV 700, it would be a game changer for the segment as it’s petrol engine is already tried and tested and adding an electric motor to it which would make it more fuel efficient, would kill the competition. And some more reliability is needed by Indian makers. Then I don’t think there’s any stopping for them.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 08:17   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
If Mahindra rolled out a petrol hybrid XUV 700, it would be a game changer for the segment as it’s petrol engine is already tried and tested and adding an electric motor to it which would make it more fuel efficient, would kill the competition. And some more reliability is needed by Indian makers. Then I don’t think there’s any stopping for them.
And if they plonked this combo in the MX variant along with AWD drivetrain full safety kit and AT gearbox they would create an entire segment for badroad entusiasts like me!
Old 25th March 2024, 09:13   #85
BHPian

My question is, if the government does go through with this tax-cut or subsidy or whatever it is, what are the chances that it will be passed onto the customer? I am guessing nil. Companies like Toyota will continue to try and convince people that this complex technology is worth much more than just petrol/diesel car. In the end, for a customer, it does not make sense to pay more just to get a 2 or 3 kmpl improvement. So, just like the old petrol vs diesel comparison, most average joes will simply buy the cheapest car available if the additional investment doesn't favor them.
Old 14th April 2024, 20:06   #86
BHPian

So this we deal a huge bodily blow to all the domestic manufacturers Force motors, TATA motors and Mahindra for sure. Now these companies have to scramble to develop hybrids at lightning fast or will soon perish to the bottom as price difference will hit their sales hard. Don't know how will these companies react

Nitin Gadkari proposal to drop prices of Hybrids
Old 14th April 2024, 20:35   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
So this we deal a huge bodily blow to all the domestic manufacturers Force motors, TATA motors and Mahindra for sure. Now these companies have to scramble to develop hybrids at lightning fast or will soon perish to the bottom as price difference will hit their sales hard. Don't know how will these companies react

Nitin Gadkari proposal to drop prices of Hybrids
Tax structures aren't decided by Transport minister. It is decided by GST council and finance ministry.
Old 14th April 2024, 20:48   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdas808 View Post
Tax structures aren't decided by Transport minister. It is decided by GST council and finance ministry.
Agreed, But if Gadkari proposes it and forwards to the GST council, why will they refuse? Anyways he will not make a blind statement without a nod for there. Right?
Old 1st May 2024, 21:00   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai and Kia plans hybrid cars for India.

Link: (Hyundai India to launch hybrid cars, SUVs by 2027)
Old 1st May 2024, 21:33   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Hyundai and Kia plans hybrid cars for India.

Link: (Hyundai India to launch hybrid cars, SUVs by 2027)

This is a typical strategy of all manufacturers in the retail space to keep releasing pointless news pieces to keep themselves in the news somehow or the other.

They do not have a choice on whether they want to bring in Hybrid vehicles or not. BS7, which will probably come into force latest by April 2027, will force everybody to come up with technologies such as hybrids at the very least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks