Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2024, 19:32   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India for the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Strangely, yes - but they're the folks looking to stand out / buy something that pulls their heart strings. ---
No. This product was supposed to take on the mid SUV segment rivalling Hyundai's Creta.
But with the current information, it is no way close to rival any player in that segment, but likely to take on Nexon.

Maybe it could rival the Skoda/VW's Slavia and Virtus. But they are superior in the respective powertrain configuration.

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st January 2024 at 19:43.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 19:39   #107
BHPian

Really disappointed with this design after some great designs in Nexon/Punch.ev/Safari/Harrier. This just looks like an inflated Tigor on stilts.

Where would this slot in? If positioning against Creta/Seltos/VW twins, good luck!!
m8002? is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 20:14   #108
BHPian

The length of the car feels a bit short IMO. Looks like one of those cars which came out of the erstwhile car town game. I was expecting so much from this Curvv but I am disappointed.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India for the first time-images-14.jpeg  

saikishor is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 20:18   #109
BHPian

I am disappointed with the above specs. Industry standard wheelbase is 2600 mm but here it is little bit less. Do a few extra KGs of metal cost a lot!

With this wheelbase, Tata would be able to fit atmost 50 Kwh battery. Boot space is also little below the industry standard.

So this car in its EV version would not be a proper car for inter-city travel. Only those would be able to afford it who are looking for a second car for city use. Within few months, Suzuki eVx, facelifted MG ZS EV etc based on skateboard architecture might make it a redundant product.

And I was anyway never excited about it as an ICE car. We have already got plenty of good options there.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st January 2024 at 22:39. Reason: Minor language & formatting edits.
ishekk is online now   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st January 2024, 20:23   #110
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This Nexon with Inflated Tigor merged into a contraption is a disappointment from TATA. I would anyday pick the Nexon over it.

However the only saving grace could be the TGDi Petrol engine. I hope it makes into this car if not the Nexon.

Last edited by DCEite : 31st January 2024 at 20:50.
DCEite is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 20:44   #111
BHPian

I think it’s a real smart move from Tata. They know that competing with the Creta and Seltos is very difficult. Hence they’re going into that segment with a different approach. In hotly contested segments, a new entrant needs to stand out, else it’ll sink. And the Curvv will definitely stand out. I for one am looking forward to seeing it on the road.

At best, this could sell like hot cakes. People are likely to view this as an X6 on a budget. Worst case, it makes Tata look cool and helps their image.

They must have an auto transmission at launch. Launching a car in 2024 without an automatic option makes no sense.
Aaron:) is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 21:08   #112
BHPian

Looks horrible to me, I have hated this since the reveal of the concept, cannot believe the same company makes Punch/Altroz/Harrier/Safari and has designed the new Sierra!
abaliga is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 21:13   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
Have you seen an AMT gearbox above the sub 4 meter category? You cannot even imagine. That is a suicide in anticipation. Better go with only manual than offering one. Taxes push prices high at this segment and it will turn out to be a disaster.
As I said before, Tata motors doesn't seem to have a clarity on the diesel automatic engine gear box and has just mentioned a manual option only. That signifies that they have not yet planned one or want to keep it a surprise. Also did they not reveal the petrol powertrain option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babruvahanaaaaa View Post
Tata Curvv ICE Production model unveiled in a press release for Bharat Global Mobility Expo 2024:

Attachment 2567304

Key Takeaways :
  • Will come with a diesel engine option, figures on par with the segment leader Koreans.
  • Loaded to the brim.Gets ADAS, 360cam, Panoramic sunroof, flush door handles, sequential turn indicators, full length LED light bar, Auto IRVM, 18 inch wheels
The dimensions are different from the current Nexon which makes me think that TATA will throw in a surprise with the platform. Tata Motors EVs have off late shifted to the new Acti.EV platform and this ICE car may spring up a surprise by shifting to the Alfa Architecture on which the Altroz and Punch too are based on. This is what my gut screams strong.

The dimensions of Tata Nexon vs Curvv include its length of 3995 mm vs 4308 mm. Width is 1810mm in Curvv vs 1804 mm of the Nexon and height is 10 mm higher than Nexon at 1630 mm. The wheelbase of the Curvv is 2560 mm against Nexon's 2498 mm that gives more space to hold a bigger battery. Coupled with Acti.EV platform, it can hold a bigger battery pack and will help in a better range compared to the X1 platform based Nexon EV. Sacrificing the spare tyre space will make it lighter and can help in holding a bigger battery.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 31st January 2024 at 21:19.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 21:35   #114
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This is probably going up against the Citroen C3 Aircross in terms of pricing and not the Creta / Seltos.

A missed opportunity for Tatas. The wheelbase of cars in the segment is at least 2610mm for the Creta and Seltos. It's even longer at 2650 for the Elevate, 2651 for Kushaq Taigun and 2671 for the Citroen. Even the sub 4m XUV300 wheelbase is 2600mm.

With its current dimensions (2560mm wheelbase), it's neither here nor there. The boot is also smallest in segment. Really disappointed with Tata especially since I was really looking forward to this. Need to check it out in person before going all negative but I won't be holding my breath for this. With the increase in tax bracket, they don't have much scope to find a price between the Nexon and the Creta. I hope they don't blame the *immaturity of the market* if it flops.

Ever since I was looking at the spy shots, I was wondering that it doesn't look too much bigger than the Nexon. Turns out that is well and truly the case.

Is this ALFA platform? Or the Modified Indica platform that is the base for the current Nexon?

Also what's with the Diesel only launch? Wasn't this supposed to be launched initially in EV form?
Old 31st January 2024, 21:38   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babruvahanaaaaa View Post
The dimensions are different from the current Nexon which makes me think that TATA will throw in a surprise with the platform. Tata Motors EVs have off late shifted to the new Acti.EV platform and this ICE car may spring up a surprise by shifting to the Alfa Architecture on which the Altroz and Punch too are based on. This is what my gut screams strong.

The dimensions of Tata Nexon vs Curvv include its length of 3995 mm vs 4308 mm. Width is 1810mm in Curvv vs 1804 mm of the Nexon and height is 10 mm higher than Nexon at 1630 mm. The wheelbase of the Curvv is 2560 mm against Nexon's 2498 mm that gives more space to hold a bigger battery. Coupled with Acti.EV platform, it can hold a bigger battery pack and will help in a better range compared to the X1 platform based Nexon EV. Sacrificing the spare tyre space will make it lighter and can help in holding a bigger battery.
Not just bigger battery/more range, as the ActiEV architecture will give the Curvv quite a few advantages over the Nexon EV. Firstly I think the way the battery will be packaged it will not suffer from the high floor rear seat of the Nexon EV plus the added advantage of increased leg room due to the longer wheelbase. The ActiEV packaging will also make the chassis stiffer and lighter.

Once again Tata have been able to deliver the production car as close to the concept. Design is subjective, but man this really stands out.
shortbread is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 22:28   #116
BHPian

I am really proud of Tata for having the guts to bring out a car with a niche body style and making it accessible. In recent times, nothing has got me more excited than the Curvv has. Simply love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStoryweaver View Post
A point to add, i have been keeping a tab on the curvv for sometime and i am pretty sure the front fascia won’t look like this . The 3d renders based on patent filing look crude. ( nothing like the one we saw at the expo)

And the car shall look much like the auto expo unit barring a few changes. Rest, just a few months and we will have the units rolling out.
I think this is pretty much how the production version will look; there's nothing conceptual about it anymore. More on this below.

While this looks impressive, two things bother me:

- Tata could have done better with the nomenclature. For a concept, 'Curvv' seems cool. But in a production car, not so much. There still is time Tata. Give it a sexy name to match its sexy silhouette!

- The front end is a straight lift from the Nexon with a little makeup; the differentiation here is too little to even call it a 'Nexon Pro Max'. (This is precisely why I feel that the production vehicle won't get a different front fascia, because if it were to, why showcase it with the Nexon's front end?) Give it its own identity, Tata. After all, it's supposed to be unique!

Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India for the first time-20240131_222339collage.jpg

At this point, I think nothing can be done about the front design. But if Tata manages to do something, nothing like it. Eagerly awaiting more details to make a judgement
CentreOfGravity is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 22:33   #117
BHPian

Ok so let me get this straight. The coupe form of a coupe SUV(Nexon) ended up looking like a sedan on stilts?

As far as I believe, the SUV coupe theme requires a bit more real estate to stretch itself to a visually pleasing design. Here, by the time they are almost done sloping the C pillar to meet the boot, the canvas is over. Hope it looks better in person.
GKR9900 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 22:50   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post
I am really proud of Tata for having the guts to bring out a car with a niche body style and making it accessible. In recent times, nothing has got me more excited than the Curvv has. Simply love it!

I think this is pretty much how the production version will look; there's nothing conceptual about it anymore. More on this below.

While this looks impressive, two things bother me:

- Tata could have done better with the nomenclature. For a concept, 'Curvv' seems cool. But in a production car, not so much. There still is time Tata. Give it a sexy name to match its sexy silhouette!

- The front end is a straight lift from the Nexon with a little makeup; the differentiation here is too little to even call it a 'Nexon Pro Max'. (This is precisely why I feel that the production vehicle won't get a different front fascia, because if it were to, why showcase it with the Nexon's front end?) Give it its own identity, Tata. After all, it's supposed to be unique!

Attachment 2567435

At this point, I think nothing can be done about the front design. But if Tata manages to do something, nothing like it. Eagerly awaiting more details to make a judgement

I agree with all the points you present. Well let’s keep our fingers crossed for the unveil. I am still hoping it looks like the one in the video they released . That gives the curvv a definite different identity. Plus it actually suits the characteristics of this design.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India for the first time-img_9736.png  

Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India for the first time-img_9733.png  

TheStoryweaver is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 22:51   #119
BHPian

Some years ago, when market was dominated by hatchbacks, some of those hatchbacks were stretched to sedans. That created a trend for sedans and some of them were selling like hot cakes. For example, swift. Then, we have seen the transformation of these cars into shorter ones (sub 4 meter) like gecko tail drop. Now market want only SUV's and hence, the industry is trying to stretch the SUV's to this weird shape. For me, it looks like a reverse metamorphosis of a frog: from frog to froglet.
On4Wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 22:54   #120
BHPian

Immediately after the Altroz hit the roads, I spoke to a close friend, a senior leader at TAMO, about the possibility of a sedan version. He calmly explained to me why it was not a feasible idea.
TAMO had already decided that SUVs would be their core business and, therefore, were moving towards adopting the Russian Matryoshka doll principle—a range of SUVs in different sizes – from the Punch to the Safari, with multiple models in-between.
I believe that’s one of the reasons behind the family resemblance.

In a way, I wish TAMO could shoehorn the Jeep engine into the Curvv engine bay. That’ll be bonkers! I can only imagine what a hoot it’ll be to drive.
Raskolnikov.R is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks