Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2024, 03:09   #181

Re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India for the first time

A confused product from Tata which will just end up either cannibalizing the Nexon's sales or just exist as a niche product until it's axed in a couple of years.

Tata should focus on solving it's QC problems, trimming down its infinite number of ridiculously confusing model variants and providing good after sales service. This is a dead end product.
Carguy9902 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 06:08   #182
Senior - BHPian

There isnt one coupe SUV that I like and that includes the barges from BMW and Mercedes - they are all crass and tasteless and seems to have been designed with only one purpose in life, i.e. to fill a design niche - i dont know what type of design niche calls for ugly but a niche none the less.

This is the same except it neither has the brand pull or the length to even carry off this look somewhat.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 06:26   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudo to Tata for yet again bringing a new segment to the masses.

About the look? C'mon. We all knew from start that this won't be a looker in the traditional sense. The German coupe SUVs look their bit due to their sheer size and proportions afforded by their longitudinal engine mounted shape. Not to say the tyre size that plays a big part in the coupe SUV appeal. And since this is just a FWD model with mainstream tyre specs, there is only little Tata could do to make the design palatable. Tata knows it, that's why they have liberally given thick side claddings to hide the tyre size.

Unluckily, the alloys selected here are in poor taste too, giving an overall feeling of a stunted lifted notchback. The Harrier itself is like a couple version of the Safari, but if they had launched a coupe SUV the size of Harrier, the design would have been much more palatable.

This would no doubt be a great seller given the design novelty and the number of buyers waiting for a model between the Nexon and Harrier. Just hope that the interior gives mini Harrier vibes instead of Nexon pro max ones.
DicKy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:06   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
In my personal opinion, off-late TATA designs are too predictable and common across all their portfolios, this will turn out to be a bit risky because in 2 years down the lane, their cars will start to age very fast. The initial craze that I had seeing Curvv a year back is gone now. The front end has started to turn out to be a bit boring.
So when BMW does it, it's fine...

Tata does it, it is risky
1.2TSI7DSG is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:47   #185
Senior - BHPian

The Curvv design is a mixed bag for me. From front it looks just fine, rear is a bit unconventional but okayish. But when viewed from side in its entirety, I am a bit confused. So, I would like to see it in metal to come to an opinion.

I didn't like the Nexon design. But it is a success. May be, the market needs something wacky like this, and Tata needs it more to make mark in the crowded segment.

I might be in the market in 5-6 months to upgrade from my Zest diesel which would be 10 years since I bought it. I have Creta, Seltos and Curvv in my mind, so I will definitely check it out.

Last edited by simplyself : 2nd February 2024 at 09:50.
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:51   #186
BHPian

Tata Curvv in a new segment, with multiple engine and transmission options, and killer price tag will make it a hit.

Let's wait and watch.
Old 2nd February 2024, 10:09   #187
BHPian

Do the Wheels looks disproportionate to it's size or its just me who feels like it.
Old 2nd February 2024, 10:22   #188
BHPian

I think Tata has gotten the family design right but the launch sequence wrong. Had this been launched before the Nexon facelift, the front design would've been fresh and better received.

However, Tata chose to anchor the new family face to Nexon and then the barrage of facelifts (Harrier/Safari/Punch) and reveals (Curvv) with similar faces have made the design language appear a bit long in the tooth.

The jury, however, is still out on this one and I too will reserve my comments on the looks and proportions (or the lack of it) till I see it in flesh.
SuvidC is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:57   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The moment the trend changes, your entire portfolio starts looking obsolete in one go. Like what happened with them a decade ago.

Tata is not Porsche or Mercedes who can get away with it.
Agreed, that is why I said trying. Tata cannot be Porsche/BMW/Benz, but they can be the VW of India (just the good parts hopefully). It is not easy to come up something like this and would take quite a few tries to get it right.
Old 2nd February 2024, 13:01   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSam View Post
IMHO, Instead of taking a design risk like this one, Tata motors could've just given us a nice looking sedan and jacked up the ground clearance like the Virtus/Slavia

Did a quick sketch cos I'm bored at work

Attachment 2567658
Sedans buyers are the most technical demanding customers. They demand fineness and refinement. They are quality conscious bunch and need the executive look. SUV buyers don't demand as much. A little crude car with rugged looks is mandatory and satisfactory. Till now Mahindra and Tata cars have still not mastered fineness refinement and classy presentation. Maybe they can give it a try now but butter smooth performance and perfection is still miles away. They better stick to make SUVs and hatchbacks.
Old 2nd February 2024, 13:10   #191
Senior - BHPian

An unconventional take at the 4.3 metre SUV. The looks are polarising for sure. I love it . Not for me, too much bling for my personality, but for wifey perhaps. Unfortunately for Curvv, which introduced Tata's new design language to all of us, it came in after the language was out already on the Nexon.

For what is, essentially, a stretched Nexon, the Curvv has managed to look proportionate and sporty. Tata has learnt a lot from other manufacturers on parts sharing and it is evident in their recent products. Tata has wisely used existing parts, platform, engines, interiors and created an altogether new SUV. Must be at a much lesser amount than creating an all-new vehicle.

We must remember that this is one part of Tata's plan for the 4.3 metre segment. The second one, Sierra, is yet to come. A 4000 units per month target isn't unachievable. Let's see how it goes.
ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 15:02   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSam View Post
IMHO, Instead of taking a design risk like this one, Tata motors could've just given us a nice looking sedan and jacked up the ground clearance like the Virtus/Slavia

Did a quick sketch cos I'm bored at work

Attachment 2567658
WOW.. THis looks far far better than the original.

Great job.
Old 2nd February 2024, 16:20   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
Sedans buyers are the most technical demanding customers. They demand fineness and refinement. They are quality conscious bunch and need the executive look. SUV buyers don't demand as much. A little crude car with rugged looks is mandatory and satisfactory. Till now Mahindra and Tata cars have still not mastered fineness refinement and classy presentation. Maybe they can give it a try now but butter smooth performance and perfection is still miles away. They better stick to make SUVs and hatchbacks.
I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Indian manufacturers lacking finesse in making sedans.

Had it been the case, the Hondas, Hyundais, VW & Skodas would have made the Sedan segment much bigger than it is now.

IMHO, the sedan space is shrinking because of spurt in CSUV models and brands, and the peoples' fascination with them. Of course, the buyer now is presented with more options than just sedans, so they are flocking towards CSUVs because of the butch looks, higher GC etc.

Last edited by simplyself : 2nd February 2024 at 16:23.
Old 2nd February 2024, 17:41   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Indian manufacturers lacking finesse in making sedans.

Had it been the case, the Hondas, Hyundais, VW & Skodas would have made the Sedan segment much bigger than it is now.

IMHO, the sedan space is shrinking because of spurt in CSUV models and brands, and the peoples' fascination with them. Of course, the buyer now is presented with more options than just sedans, so they are flocking towards CSUVs because of the butch looks, higher GC etc.
I stand by my every word I said. Though the Sedan segment is shrinking, it is because people want higher ground clearance cars, no doubt. That is a different issue.

Manza was pitted against City at a stage also against Verna, Fiesta, Punto, et al. But Indigo competed against Etios, Sail, Logan, Accent among others. Though Indigo was a good seller, Marina which we owned, never could hold the candle against western counter parts. Of course Logan, Etios too were poor seller not for reliability or refinement but for fineness they lacked. Indigo XL and Manza were placed in an executive segment and people expected pride. Manza did not execute it that's why they were poor sellers.

With advancements of interior quality in TATA and Mahindra cars today, they can build good sedans. But look at the market, even Maruti Ciaz is finding it tough to compete with City and Verna. The engines are still not upto the mark in both the local brands. Maybe they can crack it in EVs. You need to garner the perception of bullet proof reliability to hit the sweet spot.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 2nd February 2024 at 17:47.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 19:39   #195
BHPian

I visited Bharat Mobility today and saw the Curvv in person. TBH, it does look better in person and does the job it is supposed to, stand out rather than excelling in looks.

There was a gorgeous #dark safari, Harrier.ev, Punch.ev, Nexon CNG but most flocked towards Curvv.

Couldn't take much photos, just took 2.
Neeraj1903 is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks