Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2024, 23:21   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh

Ok now it's seriously starting to bore me! Same look and design across lineup will dilute the styling quotient pretty quickly. I echo what other bhpians are saying actually which I hadn't realized. Anything that is overdone is not healthy for sure!
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 02:13   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh

Coupe SUVs are plain ugly. Change my mind.

Ugliest of them all? BMW X4. But this seems poised to take that crown soon. I don't care what specs they throw in. The car gotta look good and this is not it.
amol4184 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 07:10   #123
BHPian

From day 1, this car looked like a Stretched Nexon. And that's not bad. It looked different and cool. I don't know why people are shocked now. TATA is taking a risk for sure but it's unique, and in a good way and the segment needed it. If it drives well, and with the trust India has in TATA, this product will sell well, even if it is not niggle free. The shape must have been a direct result of reducing drag for boosting range of EV version and to a small extent the ICE one.

TATA will fix lacunae if any in next facelift. I see this following a trajectory same as Nexon. The only thing is that it seems many of the interior elements have already been seen in Nexon. It would need something extra to command a premium over Nexon.
Carma2017 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 07:57   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post
- The front end is a straight lift from the Nexon with a little makeup; the differentiation here is too little to even call it a 'Nexon Pro Max'. (This is precisely why I feel that the production vehicle won't get a different front fascia, because if it were to, why showcase it with the Nexon's front end?) Give it its own identity, Tata. After all, it's supposed to be unique!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Ok so let me get this straight. The coupe form of a coupe SUV(Nexon) ended up looking like a sedan on stilts?

As far as I believe, the SUV coupe theme requires a bit more real estate to stretch itself to a visually pleasing design. Here, by the time they are almost done sloping the C pillar to meet the boot, the canvas is over. Hope it looks better in person.
Tata motors has presented us with different types of body styles of SUVs right from the Punch to Sierra, that sits above the Safari. After covering all segments, the next option is to please sedan buyers by presenting a softer look. Many people want a cheetah under sheep's clothing kind of car. This perfectly fits them and mind it, it will sell!!

That is why Citroen too is hitting the same segment and in principle this will go against the Curvv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov.R View Post
TAMO had already decided that SUVs would be their core business and, therefore, were moving towards adopting the Russian Matryoshka doll principle—a range of SUVs in different sizes – from the Punch to the Safari, with multiple models in-between.
I believe that’s one of the reasons behind the family resemblance.

In a way, I wish TAMO could shoehorn the Jeep engine into the Curvv engine bay. That’ll be bonkers! I can only imagine what a hoot it’ll be to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Coupe SUVs are plain ugly. Change my mind.

Ugliest of them all? BMW X4. But this seems poised to take that crown soon. I don't care what specs they throw in. The car gotta look good and this is not it.
Tata will plan more SUVs and they did talk about a similar SUV coupe on the Omega architecture and that can hold the Jeep 2.0L engine. That is a bigger SUV, akin to the BMW X4 vs X6. Mahindra too presented XUV900 that they have promised to roll out soon. So hold your horses, future is coupes.

This looks wierd initially but will be very much attractive in flesh than in pictures. They have maintained a family look akin to the Mercs and BMWs. Initially they too looked similar but could only be differentiated in flesh and badges.
DRPSREDDY is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 09:01   #125
BHPian

To my eyes this looks like a Jacked up Zest, especially the side profile.
Will cupe SUV's have scope of success in India ? Considering globally these body style is on a total decline!
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 09:07   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Any pics of the interiors out?

Hope the interior feels like a mini-Harrier instead of a Nexon pro max.

Quote:
In a way, I wish TAMO could shoehorn the Jeep engine into the Curvv engine bay. That’ll be bonkers! I can only imagine what a hoot it’ll be to drive.
That would be a big stretch, however juicy it sounds. I only hope that in addition to the 1.2l TGDI, they will also offer the 1.5l TGDI in the Curvv for some limited or RS or Racer editions. Anyway doesn't get the sub 4m small car excise benefit, so why not.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 09:17   #127
BHPian

Quote:

TAMO had already decided that SUVs would be their core business and, therefore, were moving towards adopting the Russian Matryoshka doll principle—a range of SUVs in different sizes

When Pratap Bose was still in Tata, he specifically mentioned that Tata will not implement the Russian doll principle. I guess when he left, Tata had only one good idea, and decided to use it on all the SUV. I still have to take a hard look to distinguish between the Punch EV and the Nexon EV. I figure the Curvv EV would look the same.

I too wish Tata would plonk the Fiat MJD 2.0 in the Curvv. But seeing that they haven't even retuned the 1.5L diesel for better performance, it would never happen. Even for the petrol, they announced they will use the new 1.2L TGDI for the Curvv, as opposed to the 1.5L TGDI in Creta and Seltos.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:15   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I too wish Tata would plonk the Fiat MJD 2.0 in the Curvv. But seeing that they haven't even retuned the 1.5L diesel for better performance, it would never happen. Even for the petrol, they announced they will use the new 1.2L TGDI for the Curvv, as opposed to the 1.5L TGDI in Creta and Seltos.
For the car to carry the Fiat MJD 2.0 needs to be sturdy for the power. It needs to sustain the vibrations of a heavy engine which the Alfa Architecture body may not handle. 1.5L TGDi will be too powerful and will be a gas guzzler. 1.2L will be sufficient to be agile and efficient.
DRPSREDDY is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:15   #129
BHPian

I somehow feel those 18 inch alloys are an overkill for this car. Also the alloy design is horrible IMO. These days car wheels are growing in size at such a rate that I feel in a decade we will have tractor wheels on cars. 😅

This car needs subtle smaller wheels, automatic transmission and a turbo petrol at launch. Else it will end up dead at arrival or at the most an average grosser as it is going to compete in the most cut throat segment in Indian car market.
gck_tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:16   #130
BHPian

The sheer negativity on this thread

This is a unique product and something that doesn't blindly follow the Creta/Seltos playbook. I for one am excited to see this in EV guise, will make for a terrific alternative to the rather boring looking MG ZS EV and a mini step up from the Nexon. Well done Tata for taking a punt- if it fails, at least it won't be boring. We have enough C-SUVs to choose from otherwise, fans of those will continue flocking there.

But Tata needs to sort out AT gearboxes, else this may go the way of Citroen. And release the EV version alongside the ICE as they did with the new Nexon.
Sudarshan42 is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:28   #131
BHPian

To me it looks like a Nexon with a boot. Disappointed. May be the expectations were too high.

The design does not look futuristic IMO. Is it Manza reborn?

Last edited by enj0y_ride : 1st February 2024 at 10:54.
enj0y_ride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:30   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
For the car to carry the Fiat MJD 2.0 needs to be sturdy for the power. It needs to sustain the vibrations of a heavy engine which the Alfa Architecture body may not handle. 1.5L TGDi will be too powerful and will be a gas guzzler. 1.2L will be sufficient to be agile and efficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Is this ALFA platform? Or the Modified Indica platform that is the base for the current Nexon?

Also what's with the Diesel only launch? Wasn't this supposed to be launched initially in EV form?
This car is not based on the Alfa architecture. It is based on a modified version of the X1 platform of the Nexon (Indica Vista). Think of Curvv to Nexon as XUV400 to XUV300 with more changes.

They are going to launch this in EV and diesel format. Petrol will follow suit later, once the new GDI turbo petrols get ready. The existing 1.2 turbo petrol of Nexon is a legacy design in itself and while it is perfectly competitive in the sub 4m segment, it is not going to cut it against the modern 1.5 turbo petrols from Hyundai/Kia and VW/Skoda.

The diesel engine, however, it’s the same as in Venue and Sonet. So there it’s is going to be perfectly adequate against what the competition is offering.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 1st February 2024 at 10:32.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:35   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata Curvv design patent leaked ahead of the launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babruvahanaaaaa View Post
Tata Curvv ICE Production model unveiled in a press release for Bharat Global Mobility Expo 2024:

Images of the car:

[
The pictures from the unveil don't exactly match the patent image in the post above. If you look closely, you can spot the differences in the lower grille design of the two cars, as well as the alloys. Even the DRLs are quite different, the one on the patent image being similar to the concept, while the released images having the design similar Nexon's.

I don't know, something leads me to believe these aren't press release images but rather a high quality render by some media house.
Skorp_Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:36   #134
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Strangely, yes - but they're the folks looking to stand out / buy something that pulls their heart strings. People are paying a lakh or so extra for Exter over Nios right ? Just like that. Form matters for people who are looking to buy " aspirational " products.
I doubt anyone can call the CURVV aspirational when it looks exactly like Nexon from the front and almost like a Nexon from the fender to the rear door from the side.
Old 1st February 2024, 11:08   #135
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a Nexon with a boot. TATA is going the Hyundai way with these similar looking cars. All of them look the same from the front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks