Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2024, 23:54   #511
BHPian

re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We have to understand Tata's aspirations here. They want more volumes & increased market-share. For that, they need more & more products in the hot SUV / Crossover segments. The Punch, Nexon, Harrier & Safari nicely cover the SUV / Crossover market from the 10-lakh segment, all the way to 30-lakhs. But there is room for more products, in particular something more premium & modern feeling than the Nexon. This is similar to Mahindra planning the 4-door Thar, despite overlaps with the 2-door Thar, Scorpio-N, XUV700 etc. If you have the R&D capability & marketing bandwidth, by all means, carpet-bomb the hot market segments! Maruti does this in the cheap hatchback market.

Two additional points:

- This is the kind of car that market leader Maruti-Suzuki simply doesn't have the capability to build - Related Thread (Maruti-Suzuki suffering an "Intel Chip-Like" situation? Out of tune with emerging market preferences).

- Got to respect how Tata puts up the toughest fight to the formidable Hyundai-Kia duo. Maruti doesn't know how to, Mahindra smartly avoids direct confrontations with its large body-on-frame SUVs (rare exceptions like the XUV 3XO) while Honda, Toyota are shadows of their yesteryear forms.
Second this. Tata's aspirations on going all out is a great step ahead for a domestic manufacturer to have this kind of confidence to build world-class and segment leading products.

But with going all out with the Curvv, giving options to the customers and a new competitor(in form of Citroen), Tata needs to take up the responsibility of stepping up their QC and bring out world class products in a market that is now price-premiumness-feature sensitive. I don't expect them to nail that in the first go but the intent should be there. The intent of rolling out good quality products on Day 1 of launch, the intent of providing good quality after sales, the intent of displacing Hyundai as no.2 carmaker in the country, it'll all count up to a long journey ahead. But boy does Tata need to step up in that regards and not just launch a 70+ variant lineup for the Curvv and confuse people.
chiefpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 01:26   #512
BHPian

re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh

I believe pictures don't do justice to the Curvv. I am 100% sure Curvv will look even better and exotic in person and there won't be a single car enthusiast who won't turn to look back one more time as a Curvv passes by. Just hope Tata does a good job with the paint. Our folks haven't seen anything like Curvv and the moment they see one on the road, it will surely generate a lot of rave about it!
Time_Machine is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 07:54   #513
Senior - BHPian

With the Curvv, Tata is expected to do a 'Kia'. Multiple powertrains, drivetrains at launch. Carpet bombing is what it was called. Right from an estimated 10 lakhs to 20 lakhs plus, the Curvv variants will be spread all over the 4.3 metre segment.

If I am guessing correctly, then the ICE variants should be:

Smart with 1.2 Revotron Turbo petrol and 1.5 Revotorq diesel + manual transmission.

Pure with 1.2 Revotron and 1.5 Revotorq + manual / DCA

Creative with 1.2 Revotron, 1.2 TGDI and 1.5 Revotorq + manual / DCA.

Fearless with with 1.2 Revotron, 1.2 TGDI and 1.5 Revotorq + manual / DCA.

And then there will be numerous packs to fill in the gaps.

--

Knowing Tata likes to 'disrupt' conventional wisdom, I will not be surprised if DCA is offered from the base Smart variant.
ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 08:26   #514

Curvv EV spotted by Motobeam ahead of its launch.

Colour and design from behind is Futuristic. Front look and interiors are more like Nexon than Harrier/Safari.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh-img_4199.jpeg  

puntolover is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 09:38   #515
BHPian

I saw a curvv ev (without camo) in Shirdi and it looked fantastic. It was light blue.

couldn't peek into the interior because it was on the opposite side and windows were tinted.

It looks better in real life, than it does in images.

Couldn't take a picture either because all of us left our phones in the hotel room.
chiekennugget is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 09:45   #516
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegitakarthik View Post
If the DCA used here is DT1 from punch powertrain systems , then how come it can support 1.2 GDI & 1.5 diesel. As per official spec it's build for engines with torque up to 200Nm, while both TGDI & diesel are rated above 200Nm. Can someone clarify the same?
https://punchpowertrain.com/products...nsmission-dt1/
Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh-screenshot-20240725-094309.png

Punch Powertrain also has a DT2 DCA transmission which can be applied for conventional systems as opposed to the MHEV & PHEV variants of the same transmission.
The DT2 DCA is a 7 Speed unit with a Wet Plate Clutch and can support a Max. Input Torque of upto 350Nm. However, the most interesting part is that there is no mention of Self-Healing or Machine Learning like the DT1.

Name:  Screenshot 20240725 094219.png
Views: 262
Size:  75.3 KB

Last edited by uditanshh : 25th July 2024 at 09:49.
uditanshh is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 10:24   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Just imagining how may the world go round and round -
1.) Tata and Citroen launching Coupes
2.) Other players will also enter
3.) When almost all players are there with a Coupe product say in next 5-7 years there will be a demand for performance based coupes which may need lowered ground clearance
4.) and Bingo the era of sedans revives.

Too much of overthinking .
Totally agree with you on this, and wish the same.

While I understand the market shift towards SUVs (essentially crossovers) due to their practicality, sedans are just better driver's cars.
Personally, volvo's s60 cross-country was a car that I thought was a great concept, a sedan with slightly better ground clearance. It had awd as well, you could potentially take it anywhere and still have a well handling sedan.
Coupes are a bit too tall (top heavy), looks like adding boots to crossover hatchbacks, very similar to what was done to normal hatchbacks a decade ago to create compact sedans.
NikSin26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 10:25   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
But we can't blame Tata completely as every company is following the same strategy - family look for all segment cars (i20, Creta and Tucson).
Most companies are doing this nowadays - Maruti, Citroen, etc all look similar from the front. An exception is our homeboy Mahindra. The Thar, Scorpio-N & XUV 7OO look quite different. I find this much better than the near-identical looks that Tata & others are maintaining across their "same-same but different" models.

Name:  e0311657f54c46d488139f21f63ca2ed_text.gif
Views: 246
Size:  886.4 KB
SithDefender is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 10:29   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Cannot imagine owning a Diesel car in India which has DCT and with heavy usage and more than a decade and more to keep........Would have been cheaper too than a twin clutch, not to mention the jerk free performance in whatever traffic you find yourself stuck in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I thought this would be more like a Sedan on stilts than an SUV, hence the first in the category.

And to be honest, having a DCT in India is not an advantage and that too in a Diesel which is going to be extensively used in traffic, highway, heat and what not, I would be very vary of actually damaging my already suspicious product quality by more bad reviews that will follow (which they will because of how DCT's are)
Tata-Puch Powertrain's co-developed Dual clutch automatic is a wet type of gearbox developed specifically for tropical countries like India where heat takes a toll on the clutch plates. Remember, VW groups DCT gearbox was unreliable and faced many issues here. Initial Tata cars faced issues but not anymore. Most of the problems are now Ironed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergon_9700 View Post
Torque Converter is already present in Seltos and Creta diesels. DCT-Diesel is a USP of Curvv if this is true.
That is true. Now after using it in multiple cars on different iterations, I doubt if there will anymore issues cropping up and am confident they should give a smooth performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _vashixt View Post
IMHO, Tata Motors lacks a platform for building 4.3m cars and is unwilling to invest in developing one. However, due to stagnating sales, they are compelled to enter the 4.3m SUV segment. The Tata Curvv appears to be a desperate attempt to address this issue. Simply extending the boot of the Nexon won't be effective. Tata Motors seems to be taking the Indian market for granted, believing they can get away with it. We can expect the sales numbers for the Tata Curvv to decline to around 2-3k in the coming months.
I doubt sales will fall but will hit a constant 6k plus sales. It will be priced cheaper than Creta, Vitara, Elevate and Seltos. About the platform, I think it will not be the X1 platform as Tata motors did take a long time testing the car and if it was X1, testing time would have been much shorter. The new platform (or a heavily redesigned AlfaArc) has many more cars to underpin including Sierra, future Nexon and also a probable Sedan which TATA lacks in it's line-up. If they keep dragging the X1, it's like hitting their own knees. Tata is not taking Indian market for granted but the team is lethargic due to too much hierarchy and drags it's feet quite a bit. I know it because my co-brother works on a service centre project for the company.

Believe me it is not just a boot stuck the the back. Heavy engineering efforts went in to it.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 25th July 2024 at 10:32.
DRPSREDDY is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 11:20   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Just imagining how may the world go round and round....and Bingo the era of sedans revives.

Too much of overthinking .
Couldn't agree more.
All pseudo SUV's are basically raised (read more GC) station wagons... Imagine an estate version of the Slavia, would be perfect with good GC.

Eagerly waiting for estate's to make a comeback.

Last edited by John316_WRC : 25th July 2024 at 11:23.
John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 12:28   #521
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Silent Summit to Sandakphu ft. TATA Curvv.ev​ teaser , looks hot!!
TorqueIndia is offline   (74) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 12:53   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
For me it has to be Basalt! The side profile is well balanced in the Basalt and the GLC inspired alloy wheels looks much better than the Curvv's.
I am taking back my words. The Curvv does look good man in real life!!
sharmanova is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 13:02   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Pictures didn't do justice, Curvv.ev looks hot in this video!
bronco is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 13:12   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
55 kWh in a 4.3m car is not really impressive. Here are a few models with similar or smaller in size but much bigger batteries.
  • MG ZS EV long-range (~4.3m): 72.6 kWH battery
  • MG 4 (~4.3m): 77 kWh battery
  • Hyundai Kona (4.35m): 68.5 kWh battery

Pricing will determine the success of the Curvv EV, not fancy features. Also, the DC charging speed has to be at least 50 kW.

Most of these cars use NMC chemistry battery pack in their LR variants.This battery pack has more densely packed cells compared to LFP battery pack. Hence the higher KWh capacity.

Lithium ion batteries with NMC chemistry aren't suitable for hot and humid climate (like our's).
Tata uses the LFP chemistry in their battery packs that can tolerate high temperatures.
Rahulk302 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 13:26   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Tata EV
Came to post this video and it's already here. Bhpians are a fast lot

Curvv EV looks quite hot and kudos to tata for making a well made teaser. If priced right this will be a hot seller.
harry10 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks