Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2024, 13:03   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh

We dont want every car to look the same in this segment. In fact I'm interested in the diesel Automatic, now that it is not AMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
Is this just a Nexon with a different/ sloping rear? If yes - how does this now suddenly complete with the next segment which is Creta/ Seltos? Every single auto channel/ magazine is also moving with the propoganda of it competing with the next segment..which it clearly isn't!
Sebring is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 14:00   #497
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
According to autocarindia- Curvv introduces segment first like Power boot, 500l boot capacity, front power seats plus great additions like pano roof, ADAS L2, 18 inchers, etc! It supposedly will get 1.2l turbo petrols + dct and even diesel + dct ! If information turns out to be true then Curvv can be a massive sales success and can well challenge the Creta or may become no. 2 in sales just ahead of Grand Vitara.
USP for Curvv look to be
1. Boot space
2. Rear seat comfort and leg room
3. Full automatic gearbox (probably for petrol only)
4. SUV ish look

I am expecting the boot size to be bigger than current Nexon as Curvv should be slightly longer. The coupe design definitely reduces boot capacity compared to similar normal SUV stance. Since the back of Curvv looks higher, the rear slope may not eat too much into the boot space. I hope 500l is up to the window line only and not all the way to roof (case in point is 3XO boot space measured as per ISO V215). I am waiting for 7th August reveal to see boot dimensions to see how much usable the boot will be.

1.2L Turbo petrol + DCA would be a go to combination for a car which wants to compete with Creta/Seltos in sales
Diesel + DCA will be a dream. None of the current cars that are on sale below 25 lakh price have Diesel + dual clutch combination. Diesel engines are mated to TC gearboxes. Tata does not have TC gear box, unless they have done R&D and mated the sweet Aisin TC gearbox with their 1.5L Diesel Revotorq engine.

18 inch alloys should be good for top end variant. 19 inchers were provided in the erstwhile Tata Hexa to start with and now are available only in top end Fearless variants of Harrier/Safari which are Tata's premium cars.
19 inchers give stiff ride quality and are costly to replace as well. There aren't lot of options available in 19 inch tyres. With 19 inch tyres, there is very less room for tire flex when going over bad roads or stretches with potholes. I feel Curvv might come with 16 inch for base variants, 17 inch for mid variant and 18 inch for top end variants.

Last edited by kgt.v8 : 24th July 2024 at 14:09.
kgt.v8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 15:09   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
This means there is possibility of a Nexon diesel DCA too.
They should have possibly launched it on Nexon and iron out any / all issues before launching it on the Curvv. For a TATA, I personally am too uncomfortable to buy non tried & tested technology. While it's definitely a great selling point for Curvv, I hope there are not too many poor reports on the diesel DCT combo which could ruin the brand reputation.

On the other hand, if diesel DCT combo picks up, they might introduce this with Nexon later - may be next gen. Am sure the price will go into a range which possibly is acceptable and by then TATA possibly can manage a scale of manufacturing and cost efficiency.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 15:48   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral189 View Post
55 kwh is quite impressive if we really take the rivals into consideration.

The ZS EV offers 50 kwh of battery capacity while the BYD atto 3 offers about 60 kwh.

Packaging 55 kwh in a 4.3m car is seriously impressive but then again this is supposed to be tata's gen 2 architecture designed to accomodate batteries.

What remains to be seen is the power figures. But I suppose there is no harm in predicting them beforehand.
The 55 kWh battery will have to cater to folks doing long drives. Power has never been the problem for EVs.

With the increased battery capacity, real world range of around 350 KMs will be expected, the real question is how fast will it DC charge?

Long drives in India are typically a 450 - 500 KM affair. DC charging speeds have been a huge constraint for road tripping on Tata EVs.

Going with their usual 0.75C, this car will have a peak charging speed of 42 kW which is definitely a huge improvement but will still trail behind the likes of ZS EV.

A top up of 200 KMs on a 60 kW DC charger will take around 35 minutes on the ZS EV while the Curvv may take 50 minutes if Tata maintains parity with their current EV in terms of charge rate.

The delta between the competition will only grow as faster DC chargers are used since the ZS EV supports 74 kW and the Atto 3 supports 82 kW DC charging.

Given that buyers and journalists don't really bother about this real world implication, I am not optimistic about Tata changing the charge rate but it will be great if they do
shyampsunder is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 15:59   #500
Senior - BHPian

Cannot imagine owning a Diesel car in India which has DCT and with heavy usage and more than a decade and more to keep.

Golden opportunity lost, could have brought a 6 speed Torque Converter (would be a first in this segment with what is currently available) and made light of reliability for buyers. Would have been cheaper too than a twin clutch, not to mention the jerk free performance in whatever traffic you find yourself stuck in.
humyum is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 17:09   #501
BHPian

Quote:

The ZS EV offers 50 kwh of battery capacity while the BYD atto 3 offers about 60 kwh.

Packaging 55 kwh in a 4.3m car is seriously impressive but then again this is supposed to be tata's gen 2 architecture designed to accomodate batteries.

The Curvv wheelbase is slightly less than ZS EV, so if they are able to squeeze in more battery capacity, then it means it will be at the expense of floor height, similar to Nexon LR/Max.
DIY410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 18:14   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Cannot imagine owning a Diesel car in India which has DCT and with heavy usage and more than a decade and more to keep.

Golden opportunity lost, could have brought a 6 speed Torque Converter (would be a first in this segment with what is currently available) and made light of reliability for buyers. Would have been cheaper too than a twin clutch, not to mention the jerk free performance in whatever traffic you find yourself stuck in.
Torque Converter is already present in Seltos and Creta diesels. DCT-Diesel is a USP of Curvv if this is true.
ergon_9700 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 18:17   #503
BHPian

Quote:

55 kWh in a 4.3m car is not really impressive. Here are a few models with similar or smaller in size but much bigger batteries.
  • MG ZS EV long-range (~4.3m): 72.6 kWH battery
  • MG 4 (~4.3m): 77 kWh battery
  • Hyundai Kona (4.35m): 68.5 kWh battery

Pricing will determine the success of the Curvv EV, not fancy features. Also, the DC charging speed has to be at least 50 kW.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 24th July 2024 at 18:18.
sri_tesla is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 19:12   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
T
Tata Curvv to get 55kWh battery on higher-spec variants
Lower variants likely to get 40.5kWh battery from Nexon LR
Link:
If Tata can price the Curve EV LR base model in the same ball park of the MG ZSeV base model, it will surely be a winner. Being a Punch LR owner I definitely feel that the base ZSeV would have been the ideal buy for extended range and highway usage only issue was the sparse MG dealership and spares network. With a Tata Curve in same price and mileage range it would be a almost perfect highway EV with vast service and spares support. I would seriously think about this upgrade even though my Punch EV is almost brand new.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 20:42   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
55 kWh in a 4.3m car is not really impressive. Here are a few models with similar or smaller in size but much bigger batteries.
  • MG ZS EV long-range (~4.3m): 72.6 kWH battery
  • MG 4 (~4.3m): 77 kWh battery
  • Hyundai Kona (4.35m): 68.5 kWh battery

Pricing will determine the success of the Curvv EV, not fancy features. Also, the DC charging speed has to be at least 50 kW.
But the examples you cited all have NMC packs. I don't think cars with NMC pack sell well in India like Kona, XUV 400.

Apart from chemistry, the battery pack size is mainly determined by the wheelbase size. Only Tata seems to use batteries past the rear wheels like in Tigor and Tiago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
I definitely feel that the base ZSeV would have been the ideal buy for extended range and highway usage only issue was the sparse MG dealership and spares network.
I would rather pick a BYD or MG despite the lack of service centers than being a beta tester for a new Tata EV. If they launch this vehicle with less then 1C charge rate in 2024, I will have nothing but contempt for Tata EV division. Home turf benefit can only go so far.
DIY410 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 23:05   #506

IMHO, Tata Motors lacks a platform for building 4.3m cars and is unwilling to invest in developing one. However, due to stagnating sales, they are compelled to enter the 4.3m SUV segment. The Tata Curvv appears to be a desperate attempt to address this issue. Simply extending the boot of the Nexon won't be effective. Tata Motors seems to be taking the Indian market for granted, believing they can get away with it. We can expect the sales numbers for the Tata Curvv to decline to around 2-3k in the coming months.
_vashixt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 23:06   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shastryBLR View Post
I simply will not accept a 3 cylinder turbo petrol in a 4.3M car weighing 1300kg+. Give me a 4 cylinder 150hp+ car or you will not get my heavily taxed income.
For this you will have to wait for another year at the most. I think Tata Motors will not disappoint you.
Read further!

Quote:
. Curvv. Ideally the 1.5 turbo should have been present at launch but I suppose they will be saving that for the sierra too.

TATA SIERRA OVERDRIVE INTERVIEW CLIP

Martin Uhlarhik gives an insight about the roll-out of the Tata Sierra. He confirms that it will be again a 4.3 meter 'traditional' SUV that will debut in the next 12 months. That means Sierra launch is slated for early Festival season 2025! So expect testing cars to roll out soon. By the way, I thought the Sierra will be a tall car. But the recent images of people standing besides it shows it is not a tall car anymore like the original Sierra.

Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh-img_20240724_230013.jpg

DRPSREDDY is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 23:12   #508
BHPian

When I first saw Curvv, then the GM's new design on Buick suddenly popped up in my mind. I first saw this Buick Envista last year at Detroit Auto show & it is in production now. I personally love this SUV coupe style because it stands out in the crowd.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh-buick-envista.jpg  

AutoDowntowner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 23:16   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tata Curvv ICE Variants
Engines:
Attachment 2631210
If the DCA used here is DT1 from punch powertrain systems , then how come it can support 1.2 GDI & 1.5 diesel. As per official spec it's build for engines with torque up to 200Nm, while both TGDI & diesel are rated above 200Nm. Can someone clarify the same?
https://punchpowertrain.com/products...nsmission-dt1/

Last edited by vegitakarthik : 24th July 2024 at 23:18. Reason: added reference for 1.2 tgdi & diesel
Old 24th July 2024, 23:53   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergon_9700 View Post
Torque Converter is already present in Seltos and Creta diesels. DCT-Diesel is a USP of Curvv if this is true.
I thought this would be more like a Sedan on stilts than an SUV, hence the first in the category.

I don't know, maybe its a new segment or like you said it comes in the Seltos/Creta category. If SX4 was still alive, it would be just in that category, I think they call it SUV Coupe.

And to be honest, having a DCT in India is not an advantage and that too in a Diesel which is going to be extensively used in traffic, highway, heat and what not, I would be very vary of actually damaging my already suspicious product quality by more bad reviews that will follow (which they will because of how DCT's are)

Last edited by humyum : 24th July 2024 at 23:58.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks