Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2024, 16:43   #466
BHPian

re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP007 View Post
There is no wow factor except the botched coupe design. Same Nexon like front facia and 3 pot petrol engines.

This is pitched against the well settled Seltos, Creta, Hyrider, Grand Vitara, and the Elevate. If someone want from VW stable then Taigun and Kushaq are available. Not to forget the lone wolf Scorpio N is there in this price band of mid size SUVs.

At max this might cannibalise some Nexon sales that's it. Tata brought a revolver to a machine gun fight!
It's not about botching the design, but people want a different design. A design that matches a sedan but with good ground clearance. This product definitely helps those set.

Remember that Tata motors is not just getting one car into this segment. Tata is also pitching the Sierra in the same 4.3-4.5 meters segment, one is a Coupe and another is a proper SUV design. Between the Nexon and Harrier, the lower end of the price spectrum will be Curvv. Ex-showroom price will be just a notch above Nexon but higher tax bracket will make it costlier but cheaper than Creta-Selto-Elevate, et. al. pricing. The Sierra will be a more premium car but a notch below Harrier directly rivalling the same 4.3 meter cars.

So to protect cannibalising the Nexon, tax bracket will help different.
DRPSREDDY is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 17:35   #467
BHPian

re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh

It looks smashing from the rear. As per carwale, saftey rating have been leaked- a full five star in GNCAP & BNCAP. It should ride and handle well. Only concern is rear headroom. Wish Tata all sucess for Curvv.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 17:55   #468

Firstly, This is my first post on Team-BHP ! A sincere thanks to all the moderators for adding me! Maybe I'm the youngest Bhpian at 13 yrs ?

Is it just me or the side profile looks a bit too bulky? It feels too SUV-ish in my opinion. They should have toned down the styling. And the boot integration is looking very odd. A normal design would have worked much better.

Nonetheless, going by the SUV craze in India, this should sell like hot cakes.
ItsMeTheCarBoi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 19:53   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
In the recent media event held at the UK design centre, Tata have ensured not to reveal the interiors. There's a general feeling that the inside will be exactly same as the Nexon, I have a suspicion that's not the case.
True. Tata is holding their cards close to their chest with respect to the interiors, and that hints that they have saved some pleasant surprises for the launch. The interiors will probably be closer to Harrier than the Nexon is what I feel. Give a decent real world range for the EV and a fix for the HV critical alert and you have a winner even before the ICE models are out!
Old 22nd July 2024, 20:57   #470
BHPian

This is one car that can get Tata jump to no.2 carmaker. So obviously they will not put everything behind it. Last 2 launches by tata Punch and Nexon were superhit. Expecting same with CURVV.

If they manage good aerodynamics, this can have better streamline and better range/mileage on highway. With wider wheelbase and prismatic cells i expect a bigger battery and flat floor + comfortable back seats.

Design is always per person, and not many buy a car for design. So let's wait and watch.
sharathkamath04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 22:20   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
It's not about botching the design, but people want a different design. A design that matches a sedan but with good ground clearance. This product definitely helps those set.

Remember that Tata motors is not just getting one car into this segment. Tata is also pitching the Sierra in the same 4.3-4.5 meters segment, one is a Coupe and another is a proper SUV design. Between the Nexon and Harrier, the lower end of the price spectrum will be Curvv. Ex-showroom price will be just a notch above Nexon but higher tax bracket will make it costlier but cheaper than Creta-Selto-Elevate, et. al. pricing. The Sierra will be a more premium car but a notch below Harrier directly rivalling the same 4.3 meter cars.

So to protect cannibalising the Nexon, tax bracket will help different.
My comment was not regarding the general coupe design, rather about the poor execution by Tata on the Curvv, especially at the rear quarter area. There is a poll on Teambhp comparing both Basalt and Curvv's designs, and I rest my case there.

Sierra's base might be priced just under 20 lakhs which competes against the mid-high varients of mid size SUVs. As of now there is no confirmation of its ICE launch except the EV version which is slated tentatively by FY26.

Look, the mid size SUV segment has good number of options to pick from. Korean twins, Japanese folks and the Euro guys. Curvv has to bring something unique to stand out of the crowd and attract the buyers, culminating into actual sales. It won't be a DoA but the won't put the sales chart on fire for sure.
Old 23rd July 2024, 00:45   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
Precisely, the effort is to stand out rather than be one of many.

Plus people have passed judgement based on pictures and decided precisely how the market will respond. Have you seen the interiors? 'No'; Do you know the features it'll come with? 'No'; Do you know the price, 'No'. So what exactly is it that you know? It won't sell
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 02:08   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I thought Curvv is being released as an EV only first with ICE powertrains to follow later but these pics seem to be of ICE version - the front with the air intakes, grill design similar to ICE rather than EV version and lack of .ev badging on the rear. Am I missing something?

With regards to how it does in terms of sales and vs competition - given how established Creta is in the segment, kudos to TATA for bringing something new to the table by way of a form factor that's not yet in the Indian market (exc. the German luxury carmakers). It might not sell as much as Creta (no one does), but we must commend them for bringing not just an additional but also a unique choice for buyers in this segment. We can expect Curvv to be feature packed and TATA will very likely meet the 60k pa sales target that I recall being mentioned

Last edited by manson : 24th July 2024 at 01:17. Reason: Trimmed quote.
aslambhai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 08:10   #474
BHPian

As someone who is associated with Tata Motors, had seen the vehicle a few days back and I personally liked the butch look of the vehicle in person. The 18-inch alloy wheels definitely gives it an excellent stance. For people who are in look out for a diesel automatic, you sure will get a DCA along with the diesel and petrol. Before posting our comments, let us wait to see the vehicle in person and pass on the judgement later.
vshankarhere is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 08:38   #475
BHPian

I always thought that Curvv will be more butch looking than Basalt because the Currv looks a size larger.

Last edited by manson : 24th July 2024 at 01:18. Reason: Typo.
Jordygt500 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 08:48   #476
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uditanshh View Post
Excitement about the Curvv EV is good, but what I am excited to see are the gearbox options that the Curvv ICE would get.

Surely the manual gearboxes might be carried over from the Nexon ICE but what about automatics? Certainly TaMo wouldn't be thinking of launching an AMT in creta segment. Surely they wouldn't be pairing the 1.2 T-GDi with a lazy 6AMT. The DCA is there for the TCMPFi Petrol but what about automatic for the CRAIL diesel that was showcased in the Bharat Mobility Show?

If Tata is even thinking of pulling a repeat of what they did with the Harrier (No automatic was offered initially), then it would be a disaster for the Curvv range.
Also they did say about the Altroz Racer getting an automatic but only TaMo knows when that's gonna happen.
Finally a smooth automatic gearbox for the diesel engine.

V3Cars can now confirm that the Curvv would have a Diesel + DCA powertrain option. There will be no 1.5L T-GDi option at the launch.

Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv.ev launched at Rs. 17.49 lakh-screenshot_20240723_084421_instagram.jpg
uditanshh is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 10:39   #477
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Such car designs will always be polarizing. Tata knows that 50% of the market will love it, 25% will dislike it and 25% will absolutely hate it.

Doesn't matter. That is the intention. You'd rather have a bold design that stands out in the market, rather than something boring that sinks (e.g. Honda Elevate).

We have to understand Tata's aspirations here. They want more volumes & increased market-share. For that, they need more & more products in the hot SUV / Crossover segments. The Punch, Nexon, Harrier & Safari nicely cover the SUV / Crossover market from the 10-lakh segment, all the way to 30-lakhs. But there is room for more products, in particular something more premium & modern feeling than the Nexon. This is similar to Mahindra planning the 4-door Thar, despite overlaps with the 2-door Thar, Scorpio-N, XUV700 etc. If you have the R&D capability & marketing bandwidth, by all means, carpet-bomb the hot market segments! Maruti does this in the cheap hatchback market.

It's going to have an EV version, Diesel AT (no lousy AMT, apparently), Petrol AT etc. Tata is clearly going all out. I, for one, am greatly looking forward to the Curvv and what it does to the market, even though I personally don't like this Coupe SUV body styling.

Recent Tata cars all drive well, in particular the Punch EV, Safari Facelift, Altroz Racer etc. I'm very hopeful that trend continues with the Curvv.

Two additional points:

- This is the kind of car that market leader Maruti-Suzuki simply doesn't have the capability to build - Related Thread (Maruti-Suzuki suffering an "Intel Chip-Like" situation? Out of tune with emerging market preferences).

- Got to respect how Tata puts up the toughest fight to the formidable Hyundai-Kia duo. Maruti doesn't know how to, Mahindra smartly avoids direct confrontations with its large body-on-frame SUVs (rare exceptions like the XUV 3XO) while Honda, Toyota are shadows of their yesteryear forms.

Last edited by GTO : 24th July 2024 at 08:35. Reason: One more thing
GTO is offline   (149) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 12:34   #478

So here we have Curvv exterior officially revealed and some spy shots! Design is always a personal taste, in my opinion it looks good. We need to wait and see how the interiors are put in and what all features have been added, obviously list of features will be < Harrier/ Safari, so will be interesting to see how the overall package come out. I think Tata might bring an additional feature to make Curvv stand apart from the rest in the family (Like the handles + illumination seen in launch video). Waiting for 7-Aug for launch, prices & engines will also help to understand how this will fare in competitive indian automobile industry.
Old 23rd July 2024, 14:56   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
look out for a diesel automatic, you sure will get a DCA
This means there is possibility of a Nexon diesel DCA too.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 15:10   #480
BHPian

I like the Curvv's design a lot. Like most Indians esp. from the north, I too love brash extroverted SUVs and this Curvv is very fresh and aggressive in its design approach. Great that it comes with 18 inchers but I would have liked a size bigger, atleast as an option since anyway people in NCR and northern states will upsize the wheels in such kind of SUVs.

I have always loved Coupe SUVs like the X6 and X2 (barring old-school car reviewers, everyone loves them, hence their massive sales & popularity) and this type of SUV in a mass market is very exciting plus the segment customers are getting something unique to choose. I, like mass Indian junta absolutely detest boring designs like most Skodas- Slavia, Kodiaq, etc and I love the fact that our Indian carmakers truly understand the pulse of Indian tastes when it comes to car design, hence thats reflective in their sales numbers. Almost all Mahindras and TATAs are sales leaders with their designs playing a large part in their success.

According to autocarindia- Curvv introduces segment first like Power boot, 500l boot capacity, front power seats plus great additions like pano roof, ADAS L2, 18 inchers, etc! It supposedly will get 1.2l turbo petrols + dct and even diesel + dct ! If information turns out to be true then Curvv can be a massive sales success and can well challenge the Creta or may become no. 2 in sales just ahead of Grand Vitara.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...segment-432314

Last edited by AMG1 : 23rd July 2024 at 15:13.
AMG1 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks