Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2024, 22:07   #436
BHPian

re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv Petrol launched at Rs. 10.00 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
Is this just a Nexon with a different/ sloping rear? If yes - how does this now suddenly complete with the next segment which is Creta/ Seltos? Every single auto channel/ magazine is also moving with the propoganda of it competing with the next segment..which it clearly isn't!
Curvv is based on modified X1 aka Nexon's platform. It shall compete with other 4.3m cars because of its design, features, space as well as size. It'll also have Tata's new DI turbo-charged 1.2l petrol engine.
FireBlade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 22:12   #437
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv Petrol launched at Rs. 10.00 lakh

Vivek Srivatsa on ICE variants: Two petrols and one diesel. All will be launched in the festive season. Not together, but in phases.

Source:

My guess on petrols would be that base and mid variants will have Nexon's 1.2 Revotron with manual transmission and DCA. This will take care of the naturally aspirated engines of the competition.

Mid and top spec variants will have the new 1.2 TGDi with a manual transmission. Perhaps a DCA will join later.

Diesel, it is known already that Nexon's 1.5 Diesel will be there. Maybe in a higher state of tune. And perhaps a Torque Converter or a DCA will join at a later stage.
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 22:13   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt.v8 View Post
I feel this launch is to keep prospective buyers' interest high till August 7th or be the first one to release SUV coupe in India before Citroen launches Basalt. We might get only engine specs and car dimensions on August 7th reveal, bookings open after that and based on how market reacts, pricing will be revealed after a month and deliveries only during festive season.

Tata should have at least revealed car dimensions and engine + gearbox combinations for ICE model and range for EV model with this reveal.
Interestingly, there was no mention of a diesel automatic transmission at the last expo. We'll have to wait and see if Tata offers one in the future.
Old 19th July 2024, 22:43   #439
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Vivek Srivatsa on ICE variants: Two petrols and one diesel. All will be launched in the festive season. Not together, but in phases.
It could be they launch the new 1.2 and the 1.5 TGDI for the Curvv. 1.2 for the lower and mid and the 1.5 for the top end as enthusiast version.

Last edited by manson : 24th July 2024 at 01:22. Reason: Typos.
Old 19th July 2024, 23:36   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade View Post
Curvv is based on modified X1 aka Nexon's platform. It shall compete with other 4.3m cars because of its design, features, space as well as size. It'll also have Tata's new DI turbo-charged 1.2l petrol engine.
I doubt about the X1 platform. I shall explain.

Tata runs on 4 platforms.
X0 for Tiago and Tigor
X1 for Nexon
ALFARC for Altorz and Punch
OMEGARC for Safari and Harrier

5th platform is the new Activ.ev for it's line of EVs that will power the Gen 2 EVs.

ALFARC is upto 4.1 meters and 16 inch wheels
OMEGARC for 4.3 and above and for expensive SUVs
Tata has deficiency in 3.99-4.5 meter low cost platform that is been filled with the X1 on a temporary basis as it is more than 15 years old and is heavy. Maruti Suzuki's Heartech platform is lighter and more flexible that can cater from 3.6 to 4.3 meters from Celerio to Ertiga. The X1 platform is loosing on multiple fronts due to it's outdated architecture with tailor mounted blanks weilding tech that was then newly introduced.

In today's world of fast evolution of tech, I doubt if Tata will stay behind. Enter the Curvv! Everyone are of the belief that it is based on the X1 platform as it looks the same. I have a strong and gut feeling that it is here that it will end. Remember that Tata motors is in need of a new platform that should power a new set of cars from 3.99 to 4.5 meters that requires a modular and light weight architecture. The ideal candidates that need it are Nexon, Curvv and Sierra that are bang in the center of the requirement with wheel sizes between 16 to 19 inch wheels. Also 2 versions of Petrol will be 1.2 & 1.5L petrols will require a better platform. TATA wanted to fill the gap with Blackbird platform from Chery, Tata's chinese partner, that they wanted to introduce here.

So I am of a strong belief that this will be a showstopper to display a brand-new architecture and powertrains, and that is why they are not yet out with full information. So I think we should hold our horses for more information to trickle in.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 19th July 2024 at 23:41.
DRPSREDDY is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 00:00   #441
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
Is this just a Nexon with a different/ sloping rear? If yes - how does this now suddenly complete with the next segment which is Creta/ Seltos? Every single auto channel/ magazine is also moving with the propoganda of it competing with the next segment..which it clearly isn't!
The Creta uses the same K2 platform as the cheaper Venue, i20, Sonet, Seltos etc.... think of all the segments, brands etc... covered using the same platform, components etc.... it's all a matter of perspective as design and dimensions changing a few centimetres supposedly means 'different segments'. They're all glorified front wheel drive hatchbacks.
shortbread is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 08:58   #442
BHPian

With just a reveal of the car's looks, how does TATA stand to claim to have introduced India's first coupe SUV? Basalt's looks are already available all over the internet for people to see.

TATA can only claim so if they have done a proper launch of the car with specs, price and delivery dates. Otherwise, it shows them in poor light to aspirational customers who can't find anything about the car right now if they want to. Also, I feel TATA have left it to later than Citroen just to steal Citroen's thunder and garner more marketing.

Coming to the car itself, I feel this design will grow on most people with time even as it appears odd ball right now. With more boot space on offer, this should be longer than 4m in which case this might be competing with Creta/Seltos/Grand Vitara.
microscopic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 10:04   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
What is the difference between this and the one that was showcased at Bharat Mobility Expo? I don't see any difference.
That is the thing with TATA, lot of the elements from concept itself will make it to production...!

Very unlike some other manufacturers.
harikrishnansp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 10:59   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Though the design is niche, Tata Motors is expecting volumes due to its powertrain offerings.
Very soon the reality will dawn as the SUV COUPE sales begin in coming months.

Scoop! Tata Curvv test mule spotted in India. EDIT: Curvv Petrol launched at Rs. 10.00 lakh-screenshot-20240720-110259.png

Tata Passenger Electric Mobility's chief commercial officer:

Quote:
We will not limit ourselves to a niche within the segment – if you see our powertrain approach, it’s clearly about attracting as many customers as possible.
Quote:
We always want to democratise features and design, so our pricing will reflect that
Quote:
I can’t say much, but you’ll see the design has not come at the cost of practicality – we have a lot of usability inside
Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th July 2024 at 11:03.
Old 20th July 2024, 11:26   #445
Senior - BHPian

While the design is unique, Tata has made it all a mess when it comes to front fascia! Why can't they make it unique? Now Harrier, Safari, Nexon, to an extent Punch has the same design elements in the front.

It'd have been a comprehensive effort if they'd made the front look unique. That's pretty disappointing to me atleast.
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 11:29   #446
BHPian

"Elegance" has no meaning in TATA's and Mahindra's dictionary.
kpkeerthi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 11:41   #447
BHPian

I really hope they make the charging speed of the Curvv.EV at least 60 kW DC, it will be a travesty if they limit it to the Nexon's 30 kW.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 11:49   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStoryweaver View Post
It could be they launch the new 1.2 and the 1.5 tgdi both for the Curvv. 1.2 for the lower and mid And the 1.5p for the top end as enthusiast version.
If you listen to Vivek Srivatsa, he emphasises on how important the 4.3 metre segment is. This is why, I think the base variant with the 1.2 Revotron will be launched at an ultra affordable price. And if you compare specs, the 1.2 Revotron's bhp and torque is more than the Creta's naturally aspirated 1.5. It might not be as smooth, but should be able to keep up or even better the performance than the 1.5.

Your wish might come true too, if there is a demand, there might be a Curvv GT with the 1.5 GDI at a later stage.
ashutoshb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 12:20   #449
BHPian

I think this is the first Tata product in some time that is unlikely to do well. Reasons :

1. In a country obsessed with the SUV form factor ( Even the A segment cars call themselves an SUV- eg: S-Presso / Kwid ) , this experimental design of a coupe SUV may not fly.

2. In a 4.3 Mtr SUV space is at premium. The coupe like design is bound to have some impact on the boot space and headroom for rear passengers. In a world where the Creta and Seltos exist, I see this struggling.
Old 20th July 2024, 12:26   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
And if you compare specs, the 1.2 Revotron's bhp and torque is more than the Creta's naturally aspirated 1.5. It might not be as smooth, but should be able to keep up or even better the performance than the 1.5.

Your wish might come true too, if there is a demand, there might be a Curvv GT with the 1.5 GDI at a later stage.
You are correct. Two petrol powertrains mean the one in the Nexon will debut in XE and XM variants and the higher XT and XZ will get the all new TGDi engine. So just like the XUV700 and Thar, you get a variety of engines for different price points.

So 1.5L TGDi will debut with the Sierra next year, followed by Harrier and Safari. As it is an indigenous powertrain, hope they tune it higher for Harrier and Safari. So we may see the Sierra testing on roads once Curvv is launched.
DRPSREDDY is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks