Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2023, 10:37   #1
BHPian

Curious case of Delhi-NCR used cars | Fly in on a one-way ticket & buy cars for cheap

With NCR banning 10-year-old diesel and 15-year-old petrol cars, they find their way to neighboring states and getting re-registered there. Though everybody would like to get a “too good to be true” deal, most try to stay away from NCR cars. Few reasons being, most vehicles are meter tampered. Unless completely maintained by company no way of knowing the history of the vehicle. Getting it register in your state could be an issue at times and the list goes on and on. Yet few are ready to take the risk when it comes to Luxury cars and highly popular cars like Innova and Fortuner.

Sharing an experience of a known acquaintance who went to Delhi to get a used Fortuner. He always wanted a Fortuner but used cars down south demand unrealistic prices. One of the auto consultants in town was going to Delhi to get few Innovas, first they get the order and then go to Delhi to check the cars. Thing is, there is no 100% guarantee they will get the cars they are looking for, even though confirmed with agents in Delhi that the cars are available, once you reach there and check the cars themselves, there could be issues and so on.

This is what my friend did: Book one way flight ticket to Delhi for three days. Reach Delhi, look for cars for two days, too many options available, finally zero in on couple of vehicles, get a mechanic check and full showroom service history check. All is satisfactory, send the car to Bangalore via road. From there drive to Kerala.

Let me break down the expenses.

Flight ticket and stay in Delhi (including food and other expenses) > 16K
Fortuner 2013 AT > 5.75 lakh
Ship to Bangalore > 35K
Delhi Bangalore flight > 6K
Bangalore to Kerala drive > 8K
Paying tax and registering in Kerala including KL number > 160K

Total: 800000 lakh

Of course, there could be miscellaneous expenses.

Should also consider the fact you are going there yourself taking your time off and there is no guarantee you will get a clean car, is it worth the risk? And for people who do it for business, it’s just whole nother story.

Curious case of Delhi-NCR used cars | Fly in on a one-way ticket & buy cars for cheap-1688789879273.jpg

Curious case of Delhi-NCR used cars | Fly in on a one-way ticket & buy cars for cheap-1688789879279.jpg

Curious case of Delhi-NCR used cars | Fly in on a one-way ticket & buy cars for cheap-1688789879286.jpg

Curious case of Delhi-NCR used cars | Fly in on a one-way ticket & buy cars for cheap-1688789879296.jpg

Curious case of Delhi-NCR used cars | Fly in on a one-way ticket & buy cars for cheap-1688789879305.jpg

Curious case of Delhi-NCR used cars | Fly in on a one-way ticket & buy cars for cheap-1688789879328.jpg

Curious case of Delhi-NCR used cars | Fly in on a one-way ticket & buy cars for cheap-1688789879340.jpg

Last edited by jonesanto : 8th July 2023 at 10:43.
jonesanto is offline   (81) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 08:39   #2
BHPian

re: Curious case of Delhi-NCR used cars | Fly in on a one-way ticket & buy cars for cheap

My XUV500, W8, 2016 was put up for sale. I approached Spinny, Cars 24, OLX for valuations. The quoted prices were making me boil with anger. Luckily I managed to sell it to my neighbour who was on the lookout for a clean car.

Due to the nature of my work, the car was driven 40k kms in 7 years.

He was happy to grab it, I got a higher price than what others were offering and have gone ahead and booked XUV700 P AT.

What I fail to understand that agencies have not been able to prove that a diesel car in the 10th year is safe to drive, but after the 10th year it suddenly smokes like a chimney?

These draconian rules are not backed by any data. A blanket ban without any research. Instead of investing in better pollution testing facilities, we force sell/scrap.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2023 at 12:41. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old_Salt is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 08:52   #3
BHPian

re: Curious case of Delhi-NCR used cars | Fly in on a one-way ticket & buy cars for cheap

An addition I would like to mention here is, once you have the RC transferred to the new tax, one can claim the refund of tax from the original RTO. Knowing the way these departments function, one needs to hire a good agent to get the refund. Timeline can be in the range of multiple months which is why most people tend to avoid the hassle.
abhikb is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 08:55   #4
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience, this is going to be helpful to others.
Once BH series vehicles reach the age of 6-7 years, buying from other states make even more sense. This is because Bangalore road() taxes are very high and doesn't allow BH to most of the citizens.

I'm hoping that in near future established companies like Spinny will streamline the process, so we do not even have to travel to other states for buying.

Btw, how did you manage to get 2013 Fortuner for 5.75? From OLX, i could see any decent fortuner(mileage <75k) is costing more than 10Lacs. Then, yours is truly one of a kind sweet deal.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 10th July 2023 at 08:59.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 09:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
An addition I would like to mention here is, once you have the RC transferred to the new tax, one can claim the refund of tax from the original RTO. Knowing the way these departments function, one needs to hire a good agent to get the refund. Timeline can be in the range of multiple months which is why most people tend to avoid the hassle.
I believe it's only the 1st owner who can claim the refund if he transfers the car to a new state, not the new owner. More experienced BHPians may correct me if I'm wrong.
medicineman1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 09:15   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Around Leh one can find scores of DL vehicle this way, purchased by locals and used there.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 10:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post

Fortuner 2013 AT > 5.75 lakh
That is really a steal deal. considering 8 lakhs post registration is a deal to hog!

I am also on the lookout to get a sweet maintained car from Delhi.

Request you to please clear my following queries

1. Could you share how did you get a 2013 make for just 5.75 L?

2. Did you buy it from a Dealer or an Individual?

3. Also, any pointers/guides while buying cars from Delhi?

Your insights could prove really useful for other people on the forum.
gaurav.kokra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 10:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Should also consider the fact you are going there yourself taking your time off and there is no guarantee you will get a clean car, is it worth the risk? And for people who do it for business, it’s just whole nother story.
Well, time is of least importance. If you are in serious about use car market, then you need to invest time. My typical use car purchase takes about 6 months to completion.

Second, about the risk. It boils down to your expertise, financial ability and risk appetite. For example, buying a used fortuner from Delhi is a marginal play, given those are still in high demand and bought by people from neighbouring states. Many a time, you may end up with more outflow than what one would do, say in Kerala. Similarly, check out used Octavia prices in Delhi and Bangalore. You'll realise that there not much difference.

2 points to conclude.
1. If you go to Delhi, go for luxury cars.
2. Buy used luxury cars only if you can afford the same one new with a stretched budget. If you don't have that much financial muscle, you are bound to be disappointed.
WhiteKnight is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 11:41   #9
BHPian

Getting to see a lot of re-registered/ ex-NCR BMWs and Toyotas in Kerala these days. And it’s no surprise, as the used luxury car market here is controlled by organised players like Royal Drive who quote absurd prices that are similar to what the car was bought new for; this is aided by the current price for the same make/ model which would have moved up a couple of segments.

Makes absolutely no sense to buy a used luxury car in Kerala unless one can manage to buy from an individual.

Buying from NCR or WB/ JH is also not for the faint hearted; the likelihood of getting scammed, and the hassles of getting the car re-registered in Kerala would keep most non-professional buyers away from this option.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2023 at 12:41. Reason: Minor spacing
one-77 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 12:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
With NCR banning 10-year-old diesel and 15-year-old petrol cars, they find their way to neighboring states and getting re-registered there. Though everybody would like to get a “too good to be true” deal, most try to stay away from NCR cars. Few reasons being, most vehicles are meter tampered. Unless completely maintained by company no way of knowing the history of the vehicle. Getting it register in your state could be an issue at times and the list goes on and on. Yet few are ready to take the risk when it comes to Luxury cars and highly popular cars like Innova and Fortuner.
2 of my cousins in U.P got similar vehicles from Delhi, one got a Skoda Octavia and another guy an Innova.

Needless to say they got quite good deals, Skoda was purchased from a known person, Innova from a dealer.

I came to know about this practice last years back when i was planning to sell my 2010 model, 70k run Innova in Mumbai, was getting quite low offers so thought to transport it to my native in U.P where its in good demand particularly as a tourist vehicle.

Have heard of BMW/Audi/Mercedes models also coming in in plenty and lip-smacking prices.
Gaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 18:36   #11
BHPian

Resale values for diesel cars approaching 10th year are ridiculous low for Delhi registered cars. Things are better for UP or HR registered cars if you are smart and plan your sale in the 9th year itself.
Diesel cars can't run after 10years in NCR but they are in high demand in rest of UP. In cities like Kanpur and Lucknow diesel car sale is still 80% of overall car sales. Conversely if some one is looking to buy used petrol cars in Noida or Ghaziabad, they should rather search in Kanpur or Lucknow as these cars sell at a lower price there.
An example if some one is looking to buy Top model Seltos Auto 2019/2020 model in NCR(All online portal list them close to 16LAC) but the similar car is listed at around 12-14 LAC in Lucknow and kanpur.
drsachin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 18:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

This thing about UP is true.
2 years back when we were trying to sell our Honda city diesel( 7 years, 135000km run) the quotes were abysmal. But through a known contact we managed to sell it to a dealer in Noida for the amount we were looking for originally.
Old 10th July 2023, 18:50   #13
BHPian

I am selling my 2017 Zdi Brezza and put an ad on Team-BHP classified, OLX and other portals - while most of the offers are fake / fraud - now i am getting some realistic genuine calls from HR, RJ and UP states. Best part if this car is still in very high demand and i am hoping to close the deal by next week.

Also my previous car Swift vdi - i sold it exactly after 9 years of running via a dealer in PB - What i have experienced that we all should give the delivery only after getting the NOC issued - while they can still use the DL number plate for around 6 months in their own states - but the legal responsibility in case of miss happening lies on the buyer - on whose name NOC is issued.
Ashdel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 19:10   #14
BHPian

In Jharkhand, RTO does not transfer on the NOC name but only on the name on which the car is registered at the previous RTO. I got my Honda City transferred from Haryana, It was in my father's name. NOC was in my name but RTO said that they can only transfer on the name which is registered at NOC RTO i.e. my father. I had to retransfer it to my name after local registration. So if I have to buy any car from NCR I need to get it registered to my name first and then get NOC.

What is the transfer process in other states, is it the same or different?

Been planning to get a German from NCR.

Regards
drsnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 19:11   #15
BHPian

I’ve spotted a lot of high end cars with DL, UP, HR plates suddenly pop up in and around Mumbai. Most popular ones are full-size SUVs like RRs, Cayennes, Q7s, GLs.

And to be completely honest, if I was earning my own money, I’d ‘save’ one of these beauties from becoming a chunk of scrap metal.

I own a 2015 Octavia and have first hand knowledge of how these cars age. In short, they don’t.
revsperminute is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks