Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2023, 22:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India

Fiat's offerings to India back in 2009 were the Punto and Linea. The names were derived from the Italian words for Point and Line (you can verify this on Google translate) and that relates at some level to the theme of styling of these global offerings.

Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India-img20230705wa0011.jpg

Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India-img20230412wa0006.jpg
DRIV3R is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 09:42   #32
BHPian

The plural form of Nexon is Nexons.
The plural form of Magnite is Magnites.
The plural form of Corolla is Corollas.

But according to Toyota, the plural form of Toyota Prius is not Priuses, but Prii. Just like how fungus is fungii. So its pronouned as Pri-eye .

https://jalopnik.com/the-plural-of-p...oyo-1822241891
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 12:30   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy19 View Post
Only thing that annoys me is numeric suffix which used to signify the engine capacity in the yesteryear is gone and now it’s just a false representation. Not just with Lexus but also with Mercedes
The reason for this actually is believed to be because of lease buyers. The typical lease in the US lasts for 3 years and many people tend to lease the same vehicle again. This is also why most brands tend to push out their facelifts and mid-cycle refreshes at the 3 year mark. This helps them keep their lease customers from leaving the brand because it would be a hard sell to sell them the same model again.

The side effect of that is the reason why the numbers no longer make sense. As time goes on engines are becoming smaller. Which means if they were to stay true to their naming nomenclature, the S500 that replaces the old one might have to be called the S400. Most of these cars are switching from a larger capacity NA engine to a smaller turbo charged setup that’s more powerful.

Most buyers felt like they would be perceived as making a downgrade if they went from a S500 to an S300. So to make sure that current and potential customers feel like the car is newer and better they have started to make the numbers bigger even though it has no real correlation to the engine or performance in anyway. That’s why the W222 chassis when from the S550 to the S560 after the facelift in most markets even though the V8 biturbo was downsized from 4.66L (449bhp) to 4.0L (456bhp). If they were to have kept the naming true to form the more powerful car would have been called the S400 and the less powerful car would have been called the S470.

Public perception would have been that their old car was better because it had a higher number. Even though the “S400” had a more powerful and more efficient engine.

It’s definitely a total mess, and brands like Audi & Volvo have definitely made the better call with their models being simpler and more consistent while still using letters and numbers.
AnkitHJain7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 18:46   #34
BHPian

From my SUV shootout
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-...-shootout.html (The definitive full-size 7-seater Premium SUV shootout)

Isuzu MU-X stands for Mysterious Utility-eXtreme
Honda CR-V stands for "Comfortable Runabout Vehicle while "Compact Recreational Vehicle" has also been used alternatively
The name Rexton is derived from latin words rex and tone translating to 'ruler's tone' or king's speech.
vigneshkumar31 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 19:48   #35
BHPian

Not trivia (especially on car names in India), but

Honda has a car named Logo.
Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India-1996_honda_logo_01.jpg

Honda That's (That's the name of the car)
Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India-honda_thats_2002.jpg

Honda Life dunk
Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India-honda-life-dunk.jpg

Buick has a car named Opel.
Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India-buick-opel.jpg

Renault has a car named symbol
Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India-renault-symbol.jpg

Toyota Corona
Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India-2000-toyota-corona.jpg

I think Toyota also has a pick up truck named 'Pick up' but it has been hard to find any information on it.

(I didn't find any other thread on car names, that is why I am posting it here)

Last edited by chiekennugget : 13th August 2024 at 20:08.
chiekennugget is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 20:59   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiekennugget View Post
Toyota Corona
Corona is a well known name. Though would like to see if there is anything about "Pick-up"
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 21:46   #37

Quote:

I think Toyota also has a pick up truck named 'Pick up' but it has been hard to find any information on it.
The fourth generation of the Toyota Hilux was sold in North America as the Pick-up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyo...mpact%20Truck.

Last edited by FlankerFury : 13th August 2024 at 21:50. Reason: Deleted some whitespace
FlankerFury is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 23:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Corona is a well known name. Though would like to see if there is anything about "Pick-up"
I never heard the word 'corona' before covid, so I always relate it to the forbidden virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankerFury View Post
The fourth generation of the Toyota Hilux was sold in North America as the Pick-up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyo...mpact%20Truck.
Thank you so much.

I only got pictures of Toyota pick up trucks every time I tried to google about it.
chiekennugget is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 01:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
Contrary to popular belief, the name ZEN does not stand for Zero Engine Noise.
There are referred to as backronyms; people end up making up their own supposed meanings, and they tend to often be used in humorous contexts, but sometimes people actually end up believing in the more plausible sounding ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Naming convention are a pain for car manufacturers, because they have some 200 counties, potentially, to deal with.
Honda dropped the ball when it came to Sweden, or almost did. They wanted a sporty rename for their small car Jazz, and decided to call it the Honda Fitta. A simple check on google translate which they didn't bother with till the absolute last minute would have shown them that it meant 'vagina' in Swedish, but they were clueless. They'd prepared presentation material, press handouts and everything when somebody finally let them know, and all hell broke loose! The press meet was hastily called off, but the story did make it to the press. They finally went back to the name Jazz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiekennugget View Post
I never heard the word 'corona' before covid, so I always relate it to the forbidden virus.
Corona literally means 'the crown'. Even the corona viruses are so called because under an electron microscope, their shape looks like a crown. There are any number of products in Europe with the name Corona, but top of the list is probably a very popular Spanish beer.
supermax is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 10:33   #40
BHPian

Forget the Honda Logo, here's the Volkswagen Thing!

Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India-download-10.jpg

Or for those of you who like fantasy, we have just the car for you. Introducing the all new Isuzu Mysterious Utility Wizard - the only thing that doesn't look or sound boring or generic about it is the name!

Interesting Trivia on Car Names in India-isuzumysteriousutilitywizard.jpg

Lovely thread idea, and a happy independence day.

Last edited by JunkyardHunter : 15th August 2024 at 10:46.
JunkyardHunter is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks