Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2023, 08:36   #1
BHPian

Unsatisfactory Hyundai Service/Care even for premium cars

I own a Hyundai Tucson, presumably a premium car. I have been emailing Hyundai Service (crservice@hmil.net) since past 1 month about an issue I have (that I feel the service centers may not be capable to reliably address, and/or they may bullshit their way through), but have gotten 0 response from HMIL. I haven't even got an acknowledgement.

Is this the level of service Hyundai offers to premium customers?!?

The exact query I posted (about my 2017 Tucson), was about updating the maps on the SD card of my Tucson.

The doubt about the service centers capability comes to mind because:
1) Last time the service advisor expressed doubts whether they can support a 2017 model for map update, but said he'd confirm and revert to me, which he hasn't, and

2) When I ran Hyundai's "Navigation Updater" software, it seems to support map updates only for 2022 models.

But I'm sure something is amiss. Support for older models is a MUST! How can Hyundai escape from this responsibility?

I'm traveling now and expect to be back after a month, and will visit the service center then. But the least I'm expecting in the meantime is a reply from HMIL Service! Else it leaves me wondering, why this lousy service even for premium car owners?!?
vharihar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 11:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Unsatisfactory Hyundai Service/Care even for premium cars

I'm not surprised at all! I started a discussion on the same topic, (Frustrating experience with Kia Care | Wondering about the value of such customer care), a couple of days ago about Kia Care. Considering that, I don't have higher expectations for Hyundai either.

I'll say it again here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
when the dealership is clueless and you need a response from the manufacturer, you're stuck!
Regarding the map update, Hyundai/Kia has the option to purchase map updates. I just checked and I see 2017 Tucson listed there. I haven't personally used this service, but it might be worth giving it a try.

https://www.map-care.com (Hyundai India > Map Update > Purchase Update)

Unsatisfactory Hyundai Service/Care even for premium cars-screenshot-20230625-10.57.25-am.png

PS: The page says, "Map update is supported only for 4 years from the date of discontinuation of vehicle production". So I think you'd get the updates up to 2026.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 25th June 2023 at 11:28.
robincsamuel is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 12:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Regarding the map update, Hyundai/Kia has the option to purchase map updates. I just checked and I see 2017 Tucson listed there. I haven't personally used this service, but it might be worth giving it a try.

https://www.map-care.com ([i]Hyundai India > Map Update > Purchase Update)
I think purchasing the map update (and downloading it onto a laptop) may not be a problem. I think writing it onto the SD card using the Hyundai map-updater software seems to be a problem, bcoz that software doesn't support writing maps for older than 2022 models. I am told it's got to do with compatibility between the format of the map to be written onto the SD card and the format that the specific NAV unit in the older models expect. Having been a software developer myself in the past, I can understand such compatibility issues, but Hyundai MUST have a format modifier software for such cases. Else it means they offer 0 support for such cases for models older than 2022. Which is unacceptable!

But anyway, let me take a look at the link you sent, and will also visit the service center after I return from my travel.

Last edited by vharihar : 25th June 2023 at 12:58.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 16:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a thread regarding a Santa Fe whose owner was frustrated with the ASC. He displayed the one and a half year old SUV on a highway to deter other buyers from buying it.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-santa-fe.html (Bizman’s dream SUV turns nightmarish: Hyundai Santa Fe)

Here is another thread by a frustrated Santa Fe owner.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-clueless.html (Santa Fe - Engine warning light remains on & Hyundai service center is clueless)

By going through these threads it will be evident that Hyundai ASC's lack thd expertise to diagnose and repair niggles, issues and gremlins in their premium offerings.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 19:16   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I own a Hyundai Tucson,
I had a couple of instances where I needed to escalate to Hyundai CS and each time the response from Hyundai was rather swift and hard, so on so to make the dealer running with tail between legs. But, that was anyway Hyundai West zone. What I suggest is to try find some mail id of Hyundai CS south zone and you may get better response.

If I understood correctly, your issue is with the inbuilt AVN system map update (MMI). I was trying that for last couple of years and with willingness to be stand corrected, I gather it is the 2017/18 AVN system's lack of support to newer version software that is required to update the MMI maps. That is, I recon would be the possible reason that Hyundai not responding back as they don't have a solution with them. But still, I believe they should have responded that to you clean and clear, rather than playing hide and seek.
Anyway, you have couple of options now:
  • depend more on Android Auto / Car play (as I am doing)
  • replace the existing AVN module with the newer one
  • get a third party map module like Garmin mounted on dash
Last two options are rather expensive, but would give much smoother experience than the AA.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 23:21   #6
BHPian

Vharihar - I agree with the observations on the thread. I had couple of issues with the audio controls on my Santa Fe not working and the Aircon not cooling properly. I went to nearest Hyundai service centre in Pune and the advisor had not clue and was disinterested. He said this model is very rare and getting parts etc. is a challenge. I was quite taken aback, it seemed as if it was a burden for him to take the car in to fix, not sure if it was the individual service advisor issue. I found out the contact for the Regional Head for Hyundai and after speaking to him it moved very fast, I was connected to the Centre Manager for the same service centre and he personally inspected and sorted both the issues.

2 months later I wanted to get an auto dimming rear view mirror fitted, procured the original Hyundai part from the US as it is not available in India. And it was really a harrowing experience when I reached out to them as I was transferred from service centre to service centre as no one has technical know how to fix it. Finally I gave up and went to a local accessories shop and his technician fixed it in under 15 mins.

So there goes, my car has been always serviced from the Hyundai service centre but now I need to think hard for the next service.
Meer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 13:59   #7
BHPian

Sorry to say this. Hyundai is a mass market brand and remains so inspite of having cars priced in premium segment. No ifs and buts and I would refrain from Hyundai if I am aiming for a premium car.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 14:45   #8
BHPian

I have a 2017 Tucson.

Have never felt the need to update the maps, because I use Android Auto - Google Maps, which are always real time.

What is the benefit of using the built-in NAV software ? Just curious.
argho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 18:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argho View Post
I have a 2017 Tucson.

Have never felt the need to update the maps, because I use Android Auto - Google Maps, which are always real time.

What is the benefit of using the built-in NAV software ? Just curious.
I feel the native GPS of the Tucson is much better, in it's UI's usability and its understandability, the audio directions, it's reliability in mountainous regions, etc. And it also frees up my mobile phone.

So I always prefer it over GMaps-via-AndroidAuto (despite the native GPS's lack of traffic sensing, to work around which I refer to GMaps once at the start of my journey, absorb the traffic implications, and then drive on using native GPS and the native GPS does the rest, auto re-calculating as needed)

Last edited by vharihar : 26th June 2023 at 18:45.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 20:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I feel the native GPS of the Tucson is much better, in it's UI's usability and its understandability, the audio directions, it's reliability in mountainous regions, etc. And it also frees up my mobile phone.

So I always prefer it over GMaps-via-AndroidAuto (despite the native GPS's lack of traffic sensing, to work around which I refer to GMaps once at the start of my journey, absorb the traffic implications, and then drive on using native GPS and the native GPS does the rest, auto re-calculating as needed)
While this is entirely personal preference, being an owner of a 2018 model Tucson, I do not understand your point at all. Can we have a discussion over DM about this. My intention is to understand why you feel this way. As it is off topic, I do not want to clutter the thread here.
Now I do agree that most Hyundai centres do not have the expertise to handle the premium models. I have had such experience that few of the staff have not even heard of a car named Tucson.
Old 26th June 2023, 21:22   #11
BHPian

I think you will have better luck reaching out to Hyundai's Area/Regional service manager. Advaith Hyundai in Bangalore kept dragging their feet with sunroof issues on my Tucson. An irritating high frequency squeak refused to go away despite changing the child part. Even for changing the child part the workshop said it will take 2 months for part to arrive. One call to Area Service Manager and suddenly part appeared in 1 week. But the noise returned and this time the same strategy had them replace the entire sunroof under warranty. So, push the service centre to provide you ASM's contact.
needmorebhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 09:50   #12
BHPian

I have the same concern about service of Tucson, Santa Fe models. Being imported CKD units, i think Hyundai service network is not well trained to handle them. It would be nice to have a group of people in the same locality to come together and focus on the best service center out of the lot. Otherwise, the expertize will be scattered across.

For bangalore, i would like to know where the tucson owners are servicing their vehicles.
guruji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 16:48   #13
BHPian

There is an implicit assumption by the OP that Hyundai will have superior service for so called premium cars. For a mass market manufacturer, cars that don't sell in large number will always have poorer service response irrespective of the "premium-ness". Less availability of spares. Less experience of the technicians. I had a humble Santro for 9 years. Never had any service issues with Hyundai.
Old 14th July 2023, 18:39   #14
BHPian

Hyundai’s after sales support for low volume models has always been lacking in our market. Right from the Terrracan to the recent Santa Fe, owners have always had to wait on expensive parts to be shipped. Dealership service competency for such models is another issue.

I have an Ioniq 5 on order and there has been absolutely no communication from HMIL beyond the booking docket generation about 45 days ago. Emails enquiring about any potential updates are unanswered.

The booking process itself was convoluted. I had to cancel my first booking due to my having seemingly entered incorrect details on the portal. The booking was then cancelled and another one made on my behalf by the dealership. I was told that HMIL had benevolently offered to waive off the booking cancellation fee inspite of my very obvious incompetence in filling out a web form. After having verified all details, they proceeded with payment processing for the second booking. The resulting booking docket again had details different to what were entered on the website. At this point the dealer offered to take it up with Hyundai and they got it sorted.

I then detailed my booking experience in an email to the executives looped in my booking confirmation email, urging them to take stock of a very obvious flaw in their website, which went unacknowledged.

The Ioniq 5 being a very sorted global product, with only minor issues being reported over the last couple of years, is the reason I have considered an expensive Hyundai. I hope HMIL can do aftersales support better this time around for their EV portfolio.
BRZRKR is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks