Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2023, 22:44   #1
BHPian

Frustrating experience with Kia Care | Wondering about the value of such customer care

Imagine this: You contact customer care with an issue or inquiry and you provide all the necessary details. However, despite your efforts to explain your problem clearly, you find yourself going through the same process day after day. It's as if the agent on the other end is not even reading the query. The result? You're left feeling frustrated, wondering if reaching out to customer care was even worth it.

While it's the same for most of my customer care interactions (no offense to anyone working in customer care), this post is about my interaction with Kia Care.

Incident 1: Body color missing inside the door, below the panel

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...low-panel.html (Kia Sonet - Body colour missing inside the door, below the panel)

This happened two years back, immediately after my purchase, and I contacted Kia Care and their initial response was satisfactory. They arranged an inspection and offered to touch up.

However, all I needed was a confirmation in writing that it's not repainted and is in its factory-original condition. Despite following up many times, I never got that. They simply ignored it.

Frustrating experience with Kia Care | Wondering about the value of such customer care-screenshot-20230622-9.33.22-pm.png

Incident 2: Enquiry about E20 compatibility

Recently, I enquired about the E20 compatibility and the possible options if the vehicle is not compatible. Like the first incident, the initial response was satisfactory, though the service center was clueless. They connected me to the nearest dealer. Now, that's the major problem here, that's the only thing they do; even if the dealership has no idea about it. And when the dealership is clueless and you need a response from the manufacturer, you're stuck!

So, the dealership reached out to someone at Kia and asked the same question. I'm still unsure if they forwarded my query or simply asked if Kia vehicles are E20 compatible. I got a call from the service center after two days and they forwarded the reply.

Frustrating experience with Kia Care | Wondering about the value of such customer care-emailresponse.jpg

I find this reply vague for a couple of reasons.

1) The owner's manual says usage of gasoline has more than 10% ethanol (E10) will cause damage and is not covered under warranty.
2) Kia recently (March 2023) released a press release saying all our petrol vehicles are NOW E20 compatible.

This made me think that the Kia representative might be referring to the current situation. All Kia petrol vehicles are E20 compatible, as per the latest press release. But, what about the old ones? Well, that's my original question. So, I decided to ask for confirmation again, thinking that maybe the SA hasn't shared all the details.

I sent a reply explaining all these, with screenshots of the press release and the owner's manual, and asked for confirmation about the compatibility of 2021 models and their warranty. I also included the Kia representative's email from the email the SA forwarded. No response or calls after that.

I contacted Kia Care on Twitter and shared the screenshot of the email and requested a response. They asked me to elaborate the issue and I did that. No response after that, even after continued follow-up.

Frustrating experience with Kia Care | Wondering about the value of such customer care-screenshot-20230622-9.34.11-pm.png
Frustrating experience with Kia Care | Wondering about the value of such customer care-screenshot-20230622-10.18.11-pm.png

Then, I posted a tweet since there was no reply. I'll let the screenshot explain the rest.

Frustrating experience with Kia Care | Wondering about the value of such customer care-screenshot-20230622-10.23.51-pm.png
Frustrating experience with Kia Care | Wondering about the value of such customer care-screenshot-20230622-10.24.10-pm.png

And, I ended up posting this thread, wondering about the usefulness of such "care".

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd June 2023 at 19:27. Reason: As requested
robincsamuel is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 05:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Frustrating experience with Kia Care | Wondering about the value of such customer care

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Old 23rd June 2023, 07:20   #3
BHPian

Re: Frustrating experience with Kia Care | Wondering about the value of such customer care

It is interesting and frustrating to see that the Kia customer care executive failed to respond multiple times and did not even read your message most of the time. Our family was planning to get the Sonet which has now changed to the Seltos facelift. But if this is the kind of apathetic behaviour we can expect from Kia Customer Care, it makes me think twice

Our Mahindra XUV700 has had its fair share of niggles and issues. Every time I contacted the customer care executive (on Twitter), I would get a call (without even having to share my number) within the same day, and they would enquire about my issue. Last time, I wasn't getting a proper response regarding the lower control arm replacement, so I contacted customer care (on Twitter). Within the same day, they connected me to a closer dealer, had me connected with the manager and then parts were also ordered the same day. If Mahindra can provide such proactive service, why can’t Kia?

Last edited by navin : 24th June 2023 at 16:54. Reason: typos
wadewilson is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 08:41   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is clearly outsourced to some cheap call centre that doesn't have the required training or skillset.

I also think it's a mix of AI-generated responses & clueless chat personnel.

Kia had better watch out as it's a relatively new brand selling premium-priced cars. Such poor interactions with customers who pay 15 - 30 lakhs for their cars doesn't bode well for the company.

Last edited by navin : 24th June 2023 at 16:55. Reason: spelling
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 08:53   #5
BANNED

I don't know why you had such a horrible experience, but my interactions with the dealership and customer care have been great so far; the dealership makes sure that the Kia team hears concerns and promptly replies. I usually get a call back on the issue as well. All my interactions have been through email or phone, and I have had no issues so far.

There may be a case where whenever the case is forwarded to the dealership, they take no effort to get it solved or escalated; that's why the case in your scenario is as such. Moreover, any such matters shouldn't be done through messages but rather through both the dealership and Kia care email addresses, and reach out to both through a call, citing the mail you sent.

If such a procedure is followed unless the dealership is utterly negligent, you should get a satisfactory reply.

Last edited by navin : 24th June 2023 at 16:57. Reason: typos, spelling, grammar
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 09:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is clearly outsourced to some cheap call center that doesn't have the required training or skillset.

I also think it's a mix of AI-generated responses & clueless chat personnel.
True, it seems like they are just sending some predefined messages; could be a bot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Last time, I wasn't getting proper response regarding lower control arm replacement, so I contacted customer care (on twitter). Within the same day, they connected me to a closer dealer, had me connected with the manager and then parts also ordered same day.
I believe things like that would be managed well by Kia as well since it's just about connected to the dealership. Please see the response below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
I don't know why you had such a horrible experience but my interactions with the dealership and customer care have been great so far, the dealership makes sure that concerns are heard by the Kia team, and reply promptly too, I usually get a call back on the issue as well. All my interactions have been through email or phone and have had no issues so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I contacted Kia Care and their initial response was satisfactory. They arranged an inspection and offered to touch up.
Quote:
the dealership reached out to someone at Kia and asked the same question. I'm still unsure if they forwarded my query or simply asked if Kia vehicles are E20 compatible. I got a call from the service center after two days and they forwarded the reply.
As I mentioned in the opening post (quoted above), the dealerships are doing their part. I agree with that and that's my experience too. It's all good if it's something the dealerships can sort out.

However, the problem is when you need some clarification or confirmation from the manufacturer when the dealership isn't able to do that. For example, the E20 fuel compatibility and confirmation on warranty. How can a dealership confirm that especially when the owner's manual says otherwise? Here is another case where the dealership is clueless and needs a response from the manufacturer:

Quote:
Also, I asked about a fuel additive to minimize the carbon build-up in TGDI engines. The service advisor in Kerala said that our engines do not have such a problem and therefore no need for any additives. When I checked with the executive in Bangalore and shared a relevant section from the owner's manual, he was surprised and asked me from where I got this information.
Quote:
Moreover, any such matters shouldn't be done through messages but rather through both dealership as well as Kia care email addresses, and reach out to both of them through a call as well citing the mail you have sent.
I'm not sure if you read everything I wrote, but I mentioned that I also sent an email. I reached out to them through email, then spoke with the dealership over the phone, and the tweets/messages were the last attempts. Actually, my first Twitter message was just a reminder about my initial email request. Again, as I said above, this query is different. It's not a typical concern that the dealerships can resolve.

To clarify, this is a problem with the manufacturer, Kia. It's not about their authorized service centers. They should at least provide an option to escalate after a point and allow the customer to talk to a responsible "person".

Last edited by robincsamuel : 23rd June 2023 at 10:09.
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 10:50   #7
BANNED

Quote:
To clarify, this is a problem with the manufacturer, Kia. It's not about their authorized service centers. They should at least provide an option to escalate after a point and allow the customer to talk to a responsible "person".
First of all, some dealerships have no clue what they are saying; they just blabber and don't do much to help; in your case, I guess they have done their part.

Moreover, It's not a problem with the manufacturer when you raise doubts mentioned in your owner's manual; your car is definitely not E20 compliant. That's it, end of the story as your owner's manual says so. There was no need for the question in the first place.

Abide by your owner's manual at all costs, and don't get too creative with these things as manufacturers won't easily tolerate any mistake on your part, which may get your warranty void, so as your car is not E20 compliant, use up to E10 fuel only. Moreover, Kia and Hyundai are the same cars underneath, so what applies to Hyundai will apply to Kia regarding engine and transmission.

E20 fuel compatibility is an issue that most manufacturers have kept quiet about, and there is probably no other option than getting E10 fuel.

Now coming to the first case, they have done their job, and as it is done on their behalf, you needn't worry about it.

So, In my opinion, your worries are not justified as they have done the needful in the first case, and the matter is mentioned in the owner's manual in the second.

I am sure you would have gotten a convincing resolution if it were some other grave issue without any known solution.

As far as I have experienced over the past almost 4 years, Kia has excellent customer service. The dealerships in Central Kerala at least know what they are doing, and customers are happy with it too.

This is my opinion and the opinion of dozens of my friends and relatives who own every range of car from the Sonet to the EV6 and Carnival.

Last edited by navin : 24th June 2023 at 17:02. Reason: typos, grammar and spelling
bijims is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
It is interesting and also frustrating to see that the Kia customer care executive failed to respond multiple times and did not even bother to read your message most of the time. Our family was planning to get the Sonet which has now changed to the Seltos facelift. But if this is the kind of apathetic behaviour we can expect from Kia Customer Care, it makes me think twice

Our Mahindra XUV700 has had its fair share of niggles and issues but everytime I contacted the customer care executive (on twitter), I would get a call (without even having to share my number) within the very same day and they would enquire about my issue. Last time, I wasn't getting proper response regarding lower control arm replacement, so I contacted customer care (on twitter). Within the same day, they connected me to a closer dealer, had me connected with the manager and then parts also ordered same day. If Mahindra can provide such proactive service, why can’t Kia?
Try the same with Royal Enfield Customer Care , I think this is related to the culture of the organization and how they value and take care of Customers.
cannon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I also included the Kia representative's email from the email the SA forwarded. No response or calls after that.

I contacted Kia Care on Twitter and shared the screenshot of the email and requested a response. They asked me to elaborate the issue and I did that. No response after that, even after continued follow-up.
They should not behave in such a way towards customers. The first point is customer service. Even if the product has problems, a company earns respect by giving customers assurance. But here, it's the worst, and it's the same in the showroom as well.

Quote:
First of all, some dealerships have no clue what they are saying, they just blabber and don't do much to help, in your case I guess they have done their part.

Moreover, It's not a problem with the manufacturer when you are raising doubts which are clearly mentioned in your owner's manual, your car is definitely not E20 compliant, that's it end of the story as your owner's manual says so. there was no need for the question in the first place.
I agree with this; As Bijims mentioned, the answer is clear: the car is not E20 compliant. They couldn't give this answer, hence the procrastination, or they might need to find the right sweet words to convey this message without impacting them. Until then, they are holding it back.
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Now coming to the first case, they have done their job and as it is done on their behalf, you needn't worry about it.
Requesting more clarity/confirmation and offering a fix are two different things. To take an example, if your car goes in for a service and comes back with an issue, is it okay for you if they offer a fix but won't tell you what happened? I cannot speak for everyone, but that's not okay for me.

Quote:
Moreover, It's not a problem with the manufacturer when you are raising doubts which are clearly mentioned in your owner's manual, your car is definitely not E20 compliant, that's it end of the story as your owner's manual says so.
While E20 compatibility is my original question to Kia, this post is about a different topic. We have another thread for E20 compatibility-related discussions (List all cars that are E20 and E20+ petrol compliant). I mean, I'm not trying to get my queries answered here but to discuss about the customer care interaction.

Quote:
there was no need for the question in the first place
I don't know what to comment on this, but I disagree. I believe they are responsible to answer the customer. What's wrong with a customer asking for more clarity? I don't think ignoring such queries is the best way even if they have to repeat what's there in the owner's manual.

It would have been a better experience if they had replied to me that the vehicle is not compatible with E20 fuel, instead of ignoring the question or the ASS saying that "all their vehicles are compatible". Similarly, in the first scenario, they could have simply confirmed that the vehicle has a factory finish and assured that there is no need to worry about rust.
robincsamuel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:07   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
I agree with this; As Bijims mentioned, the answer is clear: the car is not E20 compliant. They couldn't give this answer, hence the procrastination, or they might need to find the right sweet words to convey this message without impacting them. Until then, they are holding it back.
A friend of mine had the same doubt about E20 fuel for his Toyota Urban Cruiser (rebadged Brezza), but somehow after several emails, calls, and writing to the top, he got a reply saying that "Kindly follow the instructions as per owners manual and use only upto E10 fuel", he for one has OCD and wants reassurance of everything even the smallest things, and after dozens of emails and calls, this reply satisfied him.

I guess you are right, they can't find the right sweet way to put it to the ones who have raised the query.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine had the same doubt about E20 fuel for his Toyota Urban Cruiser (rebadged Brezza), but somehow after several emails, calls, and writing to the top, he got a reply saying that "Kindly follow the instructions as per owners manual and use only upto E10 fuel", he for one has OCD and wants reassurance of everything even the smallest things, and after dozens of emails and calls, this reply satisfied him.
It's the same for me, I too have OCD and I want that reassurance. If you check the E20 fuel compatibility thread, you'll find many people seeking the same reassurance. In this case, Toyota's reply is indeed satisfying, and much better than ignoring the query or going in circles. That's the whole point of this thread and not the E20 issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
They should not behave in such a way towards customers. The first point is customer service. Even if the product has problems, a company earns respect by giving customers assurance.
That's the exact issue I'm trying to raise. I'm not asking them to make my vehicle E20 compatible or complaining about that. I'm just asking for an official confirmation, especially because I got contradicting responses. The Kia ASS forwarded me an email from xxx@kiaindia.net stating, all the Kia vehicles are E20 compatible.

Last edited by robincsamuel : 23rd June 2023 at 12:31.
Old 23rd June 2023, 12:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And, I ended up posting this thread, wondering about the usefulness of such "care".
Seems to me you are wasting time chatting to a bot.

Did you try calling the number mentioned in the chat?
Old 23rd June 2023, 13:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Seems to me you are wasting time chatting to a bot.

Did you try calling the number mentioned in the chat?
Yes, but the response was very similar. I felt like they are not familiar with E20 or ethanol blending. The executive told me they did not understand that and can only provide information about petrol/diesel. Honestly, I don't expect them to be that technical but thought they will forward it to the relevant team.

Then they asked me to send an email. I told them I sent it already and I'm calling them because I didn't get a reply. They asked for the email address from which I sent the email and assured me I'll get a reply.
Old 24th June 2023, 13:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Imagine this: You contact customer care with an issue or inquiry and you provide all the necessary details. However, despite your efforts to explain your problem clearly, you find yourself going through the same process day after day. It's as if the agent on the other end is not even reading the query. The result? You're left feeling frustrated, wondering if reaching out to customer care was even worth it.
Most companies outsource CRM operations to third party vendors. The company will give extensive training and conduct workshops to these 3P vendors to get them to task when a customer contacts them with complaints. Clearly, KIA isn’t doing it. Thanks for posting it here. This will help people know what their customer care is like.

As far as E20 compatibility is concerned, I can understand your confusion because some vehicles were already certified for E20 even before BS6.2 came into effect. My suggestion is to stick to the owners manual unless KIA explicitly states that their older vehicles are compatible too.

Cheers!
true_sedan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks