Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2023, 19:56   #46
BHPian

Re: Future of the manual-shifting gearbox after 10 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
So, in 10 years down the line, do you think a 18 or 20 year old would be interested in manual shift and more interestingly, would you actually buy a new manual car 10 years down the line?

Attachment 2466845
One of the biggest proponent of change, along with the age and health factor, will also be traffic. ATs offer the creep mode that is a boon in crowded roads and saves the feet from engaging and disengaging the gears in traffic. Ofcourse, there is no such issue in EVs, but for hybrid cars and gasoline powered cars, this will prompt a shift to ATs. But as rightly pointed out, there will always be enough people in a cost conscious country like India who will opt for MTs just because they are A) cheaper B) more efficient.
Old 27th June 2023, 20:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

The future is Automatic irrespective of cities or rural areas. Let’s face it, even small towns today seem crowded and have traffic situations that were unheard of many years ago.

India would have embraced automatic a long time ago if not for the restrictive variant distribution in ATs. Just as an example, when I bought my Creta way back in 2018, the AT was available only in the top trims and I couldn’t get myself to spend an extra 2 lakhs over an already expensive mid variant. So i opted for the manual. 4.5 years later, i have upgraded to a Compass diesel AT, but had to again stretch myself quite a bit for this variant.

So even now, buying an AT is not easy, variants are distributed such that one can actually cross shop from the next segment instead of buying an AT from a lower segment. And manufacturers today are charging a pretty high premium even for an AMT gearbox! We have gone backwards in terms of AT technology now! Almost all cars below 10 lakhs are AMTs ( barring a few ), Hyundai and Kia are pushing IMTs, which is so weird! I mean, a normal torque converter automatic relies on an age old technology and i cannot understand as to why no one really wants to take this to the masses at an affordable price!

Anyways, for India to embrace the change, auto manufacturers have to take that step. The only mass segment car I remember that existed in AT form in all variants was the Yaris ( if i recall this correctly, at least at launch ) and sadly the car was a disaster.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 21:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:

This got me thinking, I remember reading, in Kerala, not sure about other states, if you have AT, you can still take that car for driving license test and get a license.

So, in 10 years down the line, do you think a 18 or 20 year old would be interested in manual shift and more interestingly, would you actually buy a new manual car 10 years down the line?
First, my guess is the growing AT population might someday trigger a few amendments to the MV act. Indeed, LMV licenses might fall into categories like EV only, any AT only and only for a test with an MT, would 'any LMV' apply.

Going by current trends, 10 years from now, to an 18 yo, an AT would likely appeal a lot more than a MT.
Old 28th June 2023, 00:10   #49
BHPian

https://www.thedrive.com/news/toyota...-debut-in-2026

Toyota has patented an EV with MT. Knowing Toyota's famed long-haul approach, MT would be included in every automobile portfolio. Also from a marketing standpoint, it makes sense. Remember, no matter what, things need to be marketed to a prospect.
Old 28th June 2023, 07:28   #50

Quote:
I own two cars now, old Innova and 2020 Fortuner AT.

I use Innova for city runs (yes, you heard it right) and Fortuner for highway runs. Few days back while picking up my son back from school (six years old), he asked why this car (Innova) is not AT like our other car? I explained him why and the next question was, when it is time for him to start driving, is it really necessary to learn stick or AT will do?

This got me thinking, I remember reading, in Kerala, not sure about other states, if you have AT, you can still take that car for driving license test and get a license.

Share your thoughts.

Attachment 2466845
Hi. I always believe that there is no alternative to a manual camera and manual gearshift. Whatever may the technology upgrade but you can't do the exact thing that your mind is telling you to do in an automatic (both camera and vehicle). I believe auto enthusiasts will keep the stick alive.
Old 28th June 2023, 13:33   #51
BHPian

While automatics will see wider adoption, there will still be demand for manuals, prompting manufacturers to develop innovative products. We are already seeing them. For instance, Hyundai-Kia’s iMT; it provides the best of both worlds. Many manufacturers now have thrown in the convenience of hill hold in all manual variants of their models. Stalling while uphill in a manual is often a common fear that drives away new drivers to automatics. Anti-stall features have improved in modern manuals, and most modern cars have a proper creep function with the clutch. These features have broadened the manual’s appeal.

To sum it up, I believe automatics will rise to a new pedestal, but manuals are not going to settle in the dust. They will sustain with useful features and even evolve. Ultimately, just like sand and gravel eventually settle in their own places in a jar, automatics and manuals will occupy their own niches in the automobile domain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks