Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2023, 17:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Future of the manual-shifting gearbox after 10 years?

Manual Transmissions are on their way to extinction, cost considerations may delay the process.

In mature markets outside India, it is already on way out. I have one manual and one dual-clutch AT. At times, for a change MT looks OK, but I would never buy MT especially for city commute.

There are enthusiasts who love MT, for right reasons. But opportunities for cornering etc are pretty low on Indian roads so there won't be a big market for MT once parity with AT reaches in cost (or close). With dual clutch based transmissions,fuel efficiency is also not a big factor anymore to consider wrt MT as opposed to CVT.

And lastly, EVs, expected to be securing significant market share in coming years, are gearless.

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 23rd June 2023 at 17:21.
Old 23rd June 2023, 18:14   #32
BHPian

I think manuals will still be around, as someone who looks at driving as a passion rather than a boring or mundane task, I'd prefer manual over and automatic anyday. This obviously depends on the person and someone who wants the convenience over anything else would stick to an automatic.

Another revelation is Kia's unrelenting push for imt's which imo, combines the best parts of an automatic and manual transmission.
jono213 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 18:15   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

In the lower priced segments the MT will continue as well as larger more expensive vehicles that have appeal outside of urban confines too will do well with MT - but there is a catch. The brand itself should appeal to non urban buyers.

Although MTs are on the decline at the more expensive side of things, to be fair you do not need an AT in smaller cities and towns where traffic is better organized and you can drive peacefully. You could go about driving sometimes 1.5-2L kms on stock clutch in such places whereas a city like Bangalore will kill that clutch in 50-70K on the odometer, if we are being optimistic.

@Jono213 - Loved driving iMT, never thought I would like it but it is such a smart system.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 23rd June 2023 at 18:16.
Old 23rd June 2023, 18:32   #34
SRM
BHPian

I don't think MTs will disappear after 10 years, as there will be some manufacturers who'll realize there are enough driving enthusiasts who would prefer MT and of course it is a cheaper option as well in a price sensitive market like India.

As far as I am concerned, I will be a customer as long as there are MTs available and in sensible variants. It kills me to see so many manufacturers who don't have MT option in their top of the line variant Almost like forcing you to go the AT way as they have spent on the tech. Even the iMTs are not flying as they would have expected.

But no matter what, MT will always be my first preference as that's where the actual driving pleasure is!!
SRM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 19:17   #35
BHPian

Just adding my two cents.
I feel that ATs will dominate the market in the coming time. The price is what dictates the market hence the large variety of manuals on offer and being sold speak for themselves.
Since it’s the manuals that are more common nowadays, and I believe that most of us learnt the ART of driving on manual gear shift, we will continue to see them down the years.

ATs have power losses so in my opinion make sense on bigger engines.
The control on a manual is unparalleled. Try redlining an AT in a lower gear and the difference becomes evident.
Since I live in Punjab, most of my weekend drives are to the mountains of Himachal. And trust me, a manual is better to drive up the mountains.

I taught my wife how to drive on a manual. When I was about to buy a new car, she insisted on a manual and not an auto as she felt that the speed and manoeuvre ability is better. This coming from a lady who is not a petrolhead.
Individual preferences abound. Individual tastes predominate. So for relaxed cruising it’s AT. It also has to do with the type of vehicle.
So- For me a Fortuner or Xuv or large German on the highways preferably AUTOMATIC but on the twisties I would prefer a Slavia or Honda with a manual.

P.S. can we have a voting option on this topic. It will be interesting to find the liking percentages.

Last edited by knrn : 23rd June 2023 at 19:20. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 23rd June 2023, 22:55   #36
BHPian

The iMT will offer best of both worlds. I too was a AT basher before I experienced a GT TSI. As jerky as it was at low speeds it was like a perfectly working quickshifter on a sports bike once it gains speeds. I even liked the City CVT to an extent, but the fun with a manual is incomparable period. Then comes the i20 turbo iMT! I test drove this when I was considering a car for city commute and its great! No need to press the clutch but will also give the feel of a manual in city. No sudden grabby braking, a sore point for me that makes me avoid automatics.
Old 24th June 2023, 00:10   #37
BHPian

Sad to see the Manuals going away. I had really started to enjoy the Manual shift in our Alto with it’s long throw, slow acceleration and with a hole in it’s catalytic converter pipe, it had started to sound like a real Classic. And we sold it.

In 10 years, I don’t see we going back to such long shifts or NA petrols or such menacing sounding machines. I am guessing that we would all be travelling in Metros.

Only hope for me is this. A high revving quick shifter combination. This ain’t going anywhere
Future of the manual-shifting gearbox after 10 years?-img_5571.jpeg
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 04:06   #38
BHPian

I think Manual Transmissions will stay till the time IC engines are made. Personally for me it is lot more satisfying to drive or ride a vehicle with good clutch and gearbox combination than an automatic.

But unlike in the past manual transmissions will mostly be available in limited numbers for performance oriented cars. For example, Hyundai i30N, Mazda MX-5, Toyota 86 GT, Subaru BRZ, Ford Mustang are some of the cars that come with manual transmission as an option even today in Australia and if all goes to plan I am closer to getting my dream car - Ford Mustang v8 5 liter engine with Manual Transmission.

Last edited by Mr.Ogre : 24th June 2023 at 04:10.
Old 24th June 2023, 05:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Most middle class Indians (especially in jam pack cities) who recently reached driving age might know how to drive MT on paper, but will be able to drive AT only for all practical purposes.

As a personal example - my sister is learning a driving school in an MT car. My parents are also allowing her to drive in an AT car. I don't expect my parents to ever buy a car with a manual again. So, I think my sister will only be driving AT her whole life.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 24th June 2023 at 05:11.
Old 25th June 2023, 05:29   #40
BHPian

The think the manual cars will stay around in India. Firstly there is a considerable segment of people who think "driving a manual is real driving". Secondly, the automatics need to catch up with respect to milage; after all a manual can be lugged to increase milage. Finally, the automatics are pricier than manuals here; some people do not want to pay more for lesser control over the car !

I love automatics, but I admit owning an automatic has its share of headaches. User Manuals are still vague on maintenance (same transmission and ATF combination in different cars have different maintenance schedules) and there is lack of knowledge amongst FMGs with regards to automatic transmission rebuilding. The ATF and transmission rebuild kits need to be imported.
Sumedik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 08:40   #41
BHPian

Toyota has patented the manual shifter for EVs and is planning to release them. For one, this could be a game changer. It should be able to bring back the "fun part" of driving and make it more engaging. There perhaps could still be a market for manual shifters after all, even after the conventional ICE cars with manual transmission phase out in about 15 to 20 years from now!

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/custom...-at-145944.png
Old 27th June 2023, 12:26   #42
BHPian

I have turned 40 + and driven more than 6-7 lac km on manual - moreover having to drive in crazy NCR traffic daily for 4 hours has made be say good bye to "Manual" forever - I just switched to DCT yesterday. Miss you "Stick"
Old 27th June 2023, 14:52   #43
BHPian

Personal automobile has already trending towards AT and in another 10 years MT may extinct.

1. Ease of driving in city traffic conditions.
2. Automatic transmissions are tuned in such a way that there is negligible difference when compared to manual quick shifts. (Except AMT/CVT). Also very much helpful in highway overtakes.
3. Most of the better half’s are commuting on their own and AT is a boon. I believe that is also one of the reason 100 - 125 cc scooters are giving tough competition to bikes.

I’m driving/riding both MT and AT (cvt). And happy with Manual Transmission. Will enjoy until it exists.
Old 27th June 2023, 15:07   #44

I still reckon everyday for choosing a MT in a Tier 1 city. I have driven my friends' DCT and TQ they are extremely comfortable to drive in traffic and don't have much of a difference in highway as well.
Old 27th June 2023, 15:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

I hope manuals will be staying because many of the things we thought would be gone from the face of the earth are making a comeback, because of retrophiles and nostalgia. Film cameras are making a comeback and so are the vinyls. Only a few manual cars might be available, but I think some companies will still want to cash in on the nostalgia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks