Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Nexon today?
Yes 105 37.23%
No 177 62.77%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2023, 18:05   #1
Team-BHP Support

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Nexon

It’s hard to believe that we saw the Tata Nexon for the first time about 7 years ago at the 2016 Auto Expo! Over these years, the Nexon has managed to carve out a space for itself in the highly competitive sub-4 m SUV segment. Not just that, a quick look at the sales figures will show you that it is not only the best-selling Tata car currently, but also one of the highest-selling cars in its segment. All in all, the Tata Nexon is a successful product. And we all know that successful cars hold their value in the used car market. So, if you are in the market for a Tata Nexon, you will find quite a few examples, but they will command a premium. The question remains, would you buy a used Tata Nexon today?

Used Tata Nexon Pros

• A tried and tested product that still manages to look unique
• Plenty of used car examples in the market
• Flexibility in terms of engine & gearbox options. You get better styling on the facelift too
• 5-star NCAP safety rating & a solid build, unlike many of its flimsy competitors
• Nice, spacious cabin with comfortable seats. You get a practical 350-liter boot too
• 1.5L diesel & 1.2L petrol offer good performance. Diesel is especially impressive
• Balanced road manners for such a tall car. Fine EPS & 209 mm of ground clearance!
• Loaded with features: Driving modes, LED DRLs, reversing camera, 8-speaker ICE etc.
• Dual airbags, ABS & Isofix child seat mounts are standard on all variants
• Widespread service network; easy availability of spares

Used Tata Nexon Cons

• Not super affordable. Used examples still carry a premium thanks to the popularity
• Overdone design will be a turnoff for many of you. Rear end is way too busy
• Jiggly low-speed ride; bumps are felt in the city (unlike other Tata cars)
• 3-cylinder petrol can't match 4-cylinder competition in NVH. Has lag too
• No proper automatic gearbox. AMT sucks
• The observant eye will notice some rough edges in fit, finish & quality
• Concerns over long-term reliability, owners have raised complaints
• Missing essentials (telescopic steering adjustment, auto-dimming IRVM, proper dead pedal)
• Tata's inconsistent after-sales experience is far from that of Maruti & Hyundai
• Shorter service / checkup interval of 6 months & 7,500 km (rivals have 12-month gaps)

Related Threads

Official Review

Reinhard's Nexon XZ+ Diesel MT

manjunag's Nexon XZ+ Diesel MT

gmhossain's 2021 Tata Nexon XM Petrol MT

400notout's 2021 Tata Nexon XMS Diesel MT

Sujoy76 2020 Nexon XZ+ Petrol MT

Tgo's Nexon XZ+(O) Petrol MT

snan's Nexon Facelift Petrol AMT

charanreddy's Nexon XZA Diesel AMT

aniyo's Nexon Diesel MT

dsuman's Nexon XMA (S) Petrol AMT

Apex1815's Nexon XZ Petrol MT

saikarthik's Nexon XM Petrol MT

rajarshi94's Nexon Jet Edition

Things to watch out for in a used Tata Nexon

• While there haven't been any major official recalls for the Nexon, some issues have been addressed in silent recalls. Tailgate latch replacement is an example of the same.

• Few owners have complained about the AMT in both petrol and diesel engines - 1, 2, 3, & 4.

Availability

Very good. It’s been almost 7 years since the Nexon has been on sale, so you will find a good number of cars on sale. You also have a wide variety to choose from. The petrol and diesel engines are available with 6-speed manual transmissions and also AMT. Then in 2020, Tata introduced the facelift version with a few design changes that made it look more mature. Check out some examples on sale here.

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Nexon-1.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Nexon-2.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Nexon-3.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Nexon-4.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Nexon-5.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Nexon-6.jpeg

Last edited by Omkar : 19th June 2023 at 18:07.
Omkar is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 18:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Nexon

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene.
Omkar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 23:34   #3
BHPian

Kinda surprised there's no thread related to the petrol Nexon XZA+

Here's some cons I'm facing with my 2019 nexon that ran just 16k km:
• The whole silencer pipe started to rust from headers till the tail pipe.
• Fuel economy has been poor since 2nd service. City 6-9km, Highway 9-12.
• The plastic thing that holds the bonnet to its mount which helps to keep it open broke twice as the heat melts the plastic.
• Very known issue for the windshield washer pump reservoir to start leaking and needing a replacement as repairs wont work.
• AMT sucks everyday and twice on a Sunday.
• The body is just too strong for some small dent repairs so fixing dents will be expensive ��
• Wired CarPlay/Android Auto never works fine as it keeps getting disconnected when going over a small bump/pothole. Got it replaced under warranty several times including the HU, didn't solve it.
hAwX is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 08:43   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I love the Nexon and it's the car that lead Tata's renaissance from the old & stodgy company it was, to the aggressive Tata churning out stylish, competent cars today. The turbo-petrol & turbo-diesel engines, top safety rating & solid build are very endearing. But I still wouldn't buy a Nexon. Only reason = No proper AT. AMTs suck and I'd never buy one.

If it had a torque-converter AT (or the Altroz DCT), I would have voted Yes in the poll.

The Nexon is a great used buy for anyone open to MT gearboxes.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 09:03   #5
BHPian

Voted No.

Would not buy the Nexon new or used, only because of the AMT gearbox. I'm an AT convert now.

That said, the electric version is an entirely different proposition altogether. I haven't driven it yet, so I'll reserve comments on it.
anshu1101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 09:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No.

Because Nexon isn't really VFM in the used car market. Most good samples command a premium. One can rather spend a couple of lakhs more and get a new nexon IMHO.

Secondly Tata QC isn't something that can be trusted. So a Tata out of warranty is a big No no.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 20th June 2023 at 09:23.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 09:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

In two minds as I have first hand experience with my brother in law's Nexon. He has an 2019 AMT and does not like the AMT behavior at all especially in city, low speed, hilly conditions. Frequently faces the AMT over heating and refusing to shift. Just for the irregular AMT behavior he always has a thought of changing.

Keeping that aside it is a fantastic car especially on the highways. The AMT deficiencies are masked well on the highways. The interiors, features have always been good and has aged pretty well. So from that perspective it is a good car to buy used also.

So I would still vote No especially for the AMT variants and also considering the premium it commands in the used car market.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 10:17   #8
BHPian

Voted No.
1. Lack of proper automatic option.
2. Too many variations have happened on the Nexon and parts have changed. In the long term would be difficult to find exact part for the variant/sub-variant.
3. Tata's service quality. While it has improved over the years, the Nano XTA I own is a pain only because of the service. The service advisors don't communicate or update us and there are often unnecessary delays.
4. Better options in the market. The CSUV segment is quite cluttered and has a lot of options. While the Nexon is great VFM when purchased new, in the used market, the price difference between it and competition is not that much. A Brezza, Venue or Sonet would give better options in terms of powertrains. The Kiger also is a good option with the CVT.

Last edited by the.dogfather : 20th June 2023 at 10:45.
the.dogfather is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 10:47   #9
BHPian

Would never buy a Tata in the foreseeable future new or used.

To start with they have horrible service networks and support. Right here they have already lost me. However, even if the service was alright, I still wouldn't buy one. It is true that Tata has come a really long way from the days of Indica. Today, the cars feel solid with good technology and desirability. However, it is far from well-engineered in my opinion. I see a lot of customers reporting issues left and right right here and all over the internet. So, getting a used car would mean all of that plus even more problems. Therefore, I would never buy such an unreliable car and always buy an old Mercedes for the same money which is for sure is reliable
cefiljoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 10:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Secondly Tata QC isn't something that can be trusted. So a Tata out of warranty is a big No no.
I can vouch for this. I've had glitchy head unit issue and replacement would have cost Rs 35k+. I am not joking. That's what the dealer quoted me out of warranty. In this case, one will have to opt for an aftermarket Android system which offers more for barely half the price. It was a big headache for me as even the AC controls were there in the head unit. It kept turning off and on, changing the temp and modes, changing volume levels, fm to am to bluetooth audio etc (it went completely crazy). Couldn't even stay put it on mute or turn the screen off.
hAwX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 11:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

I became the proud owner of the first Nexon sold by Tata in September 2017, and I have been sharing my journey online ever since. Back in those days, Maruti dominated the market, but my posts and word-of-mouth gained popularity, helping Nexon gain momentum. But it was beyond my wildest dreams to see it leading the category. The 5-star rating was a delightful surprise, and I have received excellent service from Key Motors, Adishakti, and Classic who attend to my needs promptly. The car's parts have proven to be reliable, and I haven't faced any replacements so far. The only minor drawback is the slightly unsettled ride, regardless of tire pressure, though I'm uncertain if this has been addressed in newer models. Now, I have Momos and have upgraded the tyres. Overall, the Nexon is a dependable performer, and I intend to keep it until diesel supply lasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
5-star NCAP safety rating & a solid build, unlike many of its flimsy competitors
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 12:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Pre-worshipped - No
New - Yes

I will think 100 times if I want to buy Tata in pre-owned market. Tata is making really good cars now but aging of their cars is not that great till now. Also it has reliability issues to some extent. So will buy Tata car as new only.
aniketi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 12:22   #13
BHPian

Voted Yes. Only for the Manual transmission. If I am in the market I would definitely go for MT.
If Tata launches it with proper AT (which is around the corner), It's a big YES.
Old 20th June 2023, 12:25   #14
BHPian

Will look into the diesel Manual version of the car, not anything else if at all going for this.

On the other hand, many new first time drivers are going with Nexon, which makes me a little bit apprehensive of buying one used esp. the automatics. No offence, just my two cents on the same.
Old 20th June 2023, 12:35   #15
BHPian

Voted Yes!
Because I drive a Manual and I don't prefer to use Private transport in City.
Nexon is one of the best in it's class when it comes to Highway driving. Stable, safe, Petrol engine is fun on highways.
If I had to get it for daily City commute, a big no due to lack of AT and Fuel Efficiency, plus the Thick A Pillars makes things a notch difficult.
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks