Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Tata Nexon today?
Yes 105 37.23%
No 177 62.77%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2023, 12:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Nexon

Voted No. this is coming from a guy who currently owns Nexon Diesel XZA+ ( 60K KMs in 5 years ).

Why ?

1. The AMT gear box doesn’t cut it anymore, with options like the Sonet Diesel Automatic.

2. A vastly improved competitor base : Brezza, Sonet , VFM Kiger and Magnite.

3. Inferior aftersales service. Tata service hasn’t grown by much in the last few years while their sales has Grown 2.5 X. This leads to painful waiting times.

My dependence on diesel is also down post Covid. So if I had to buy a car in that segment I would buy the Brezza.

The Nexon does a few things amazingly right : solid build, 5 star safety, good interiors, great music system etc. so what more do i need

1. the biggest requirement is a competent auto gear box and
2. second improved service network and quality,

Last edited by charanreddy : 20th June 2023 at 12:52.
Old 20th June 2023, 13:33   #17
ike
BHPian

Voted Yes but I'd avoid the AMT. Especially if you are in the market for a "new" AT, the competition has really upped the game. Kiger/Magnite, Sonet, Brezza and the GV all get proper automatics. For someone looking for an MT, whether used or new, Nexon is a fantastic car that is safe, spacious & well built. Not sure if Tata has any incentive to offer a good AT gearbox, even with the current AMT it is selling very well.
Old 20th June 2023, 13:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would think 100 times before buying a brand new tata product above Nexon.

With Nexon I have had 50-50 experience. But still I feel there are better products out there, then a used Nexon. I had opportunity to buy a used Nexon twice, June 2020 and Feb 2022. But I bought a used Ecosport and Sonet instead. One of the best decisions for me till date.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 14:15   #19
BHPian

Was a proud owner of the 2017 Nov first batches of Nexon XM Diesel. Owned it for over 5 years and clocked 60K kms , recently sold it off to a fellow resident in my apartment only because of a hard to pass deal on a Hexa from my ex boss :P

Tata & the Nexon was a gamble for me. It paid off phenomenally , I recovered 98% of my exshowroom price when I sold it off after 5 years (8.9L onroad in Nov 2017, sold off for 7.6L in Feb 2023 )

Nexon made be believe in the TATA brand, today my garage consists of a HEXA XTA, Tiago Ev and inlaws own a Harrier and Nano twist. All thanks to me being an unofficial family brand ambassador for TATA !!
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the month : Buying a used Tata Nexon-whatsapp-image-20230620-2.14.29-pm.jpeg  

mally2 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 14:45   #20
BHPian

Voted yes.

The diesel engine is great. If there's a decent price, it will be a good buy.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 15:15   #21
BHPian

I was initially surprised by the 61 % No ( upto this moment) , but realized the opinion of the TBHP is a miniscule minority in the Indian market and hence the verdict.

Nexon is still in great demand in the used market and commands a premium.

Personally, I would buy an pre-used Nexon Diesel MT when my budget is below 10 L and in fact, I was looking for one, 3 years back before I bought the City IDtec.

And I still think the Nexon diesel is a great option- FE and reliable Engine with okayish power and good GC makes it a perfect mile muncher on highways barring the minor nuisance of the TASS.

And the Tata's Signature, which is its incredible safety rating makes it a wiser choice over the Korean Twins and Maruti.
poised2drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 17:20   #22

I had NEXON XZA+ P AMT 2019 which I sold it in 1.5 years due to COVID effects. I would say that my unit or early owners can be considered as pilot run for evolving the product. Now it has grown to a hot selling product and TATA has heard the feedbacks very seriously and implemented it.

No complain about the engine. If your priorities are for power, safety, ride quality, practicality you can consider a used NEXON. The early AMT was not up to the mark as the car struggled to go up the ramp to my parking lot. It even had jerks when gears are shifted. In highways I usually use the manual mode and its such a fun. I also saw a good service support from the dealer too.
Old 20th June 2023, 19:55   #23

Being an owner of Nexon P XZ+ manual 2019 model.

I would like to give my opinion if someone is looking at it in the preowned route:

Pros

1. Solid Build: Being a previous maruti suzuki dzire owner, this car is not prone to easy dings and dents as compared to Dzire.

2. Safety: 5 Star rating gives immense confidence.

3. Reliable: Engine and gearbox(manual) is fairly reliable, didn't got stranded on any occasion during the ownership.

4. Parts availability: Most of the parts are in stock and repair is carried out immediately, in one occasion whole steering rack needed to be changed, and the service center had it in stock.

5. Stability: Best vehicle if running is more on highways as it is a capable tourer, easily gives a mileage of 16kmpl. Sports mode is fantastic.

Cons:

1. Electronics: Particularly harman system needs a lot of improvement, hangs a lot and once silver box was changed.

2. Service center: Service has improved a lot but still improvements needs to be desired as the service centers are less and vehicle load has increased a lot in recent years.

3. Rust issues: Got rusting at hinge area on boot door, treated under warranty but still one needs to check thoroughly before buying pre owned.

4. City mileage: Mileage is quite low when driven extensively in city getting around 9kmpl.

5. Turbo lag: While on highway it doesn't matter but in city its quite painful to drive as lot of efforts is needed to be in right gear due to turbo lag.

These are my observations, hope it helps in making an informed decision.
ADFreak8322 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 20:49   #24
BHPian

Voted NO.
While the ride and drivability is good, the tata ASS is not worth it.
Especially in the used market where only the early beta version are available for a fair price.
Old 20th June 2023, 21:18   #25
BHPian

Voted No.

1. Better brand options available in the pre-owned space.
2. Tata's infamous service support (or lack of it).
3. AMT is crude to say the least.
Old 20th June 2023, 22:47   #26
BHPian

Voted No. My reason for voting no is
1. I hate Nexon design. Hoping for an overhaul in facelift
2. Infamous Tata ASS
3. AMT is less said the better.
4. Petrol variant is not as good as diesel one. For Diesel MT my vote is a reluctant yes.
Old 21st June 2023, 14:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
• Concerns over long-term reliability, owners have raised complaints
• Missing essentials (telescopic steering adjustment, auto-dimming IRVM, proper dead pedal)
• Tata's inconsistent after-sales experience is far from that of Maruti & Hyundai
There are plenty of owners on Whatsapp, Telegram and Facebook groups who have crossed 1 lakh kms and have had no major issues.

Auto dimming IRVM, air purifier and ventilated seats were introduced in the Kaziranga edition in April 2022 and now also available in the top variants.

What inconsistent service? They are all one and the same. Each one as good or as bad as the other. Hyundai, Mahindra, Tata and so on. There are hundreds of senior technicians and service advisors and mechanics in all. And there are bound to be the odd lazy, reckless, incompetent few in each and every service center. Your bad luck if any one of them takes over your car.

Fit and finish, not so good NVH levels, refinement, panel gaps. If you can live with these, then you can go for a Tata .
Old 21st June 2023, 23:21   #28
BHPian

I would pick a Nexon, only in its diesel manual guise. Imho, it's worth every penny. Older car means no BS6 nonsense, though my uncle who owns a 2021 Nexon diesel hasn't faced any hiccup, despite his low running.

Now, this answer is for me, who prefers value for money and drivability. If I was asked the same as an average Indian, I would pick Brezza diesel as its reliablle and fuel efficient (Brezza has good driving dynamics, just that it's let down by the puny engine)

Last edited by subie_socal : 21st June 2023 at 23:23. Reason: Missing word added, typos
Old 22nd June 2023, 07:05   #29
BHPian

Voted No since I'm no longer into manual transmissions and the Nexon gets an AMT.

PS - The poll results are only from team bhp and do not represent the AAM JANTA. That is why the higher resale value in the market.
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks