Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2023, 09:46   #1
BHPian

Owners of older Skoda cars | Check the oil grade, your service center could be using the wrong one!

As we all know, Skoda has introduced the new generation engines, 1.0, 1.5 and the 2.0 TSI engines. These engines are to be serviced with a newer oil grade which is 0W20 VW508/509 grade. It comes in 5.2L cans with a VW group branding. I took my Superb which is 2019 model, for annual service, in the last week of May. My car and in fact all cars before 2022 need VW502 for petrol and VW505 for diesel in 5W40 grade. I usually emphasize that I will stay near the car when I take it for service and my go to service center in Noida never had any issues, till this year.

For the first time, I sense a bit of hesitation, but upon being firm, they did allow me to inspect the material and the oil drain. To my horror, they were about to fill 0W20 VW508 into my car. Upon pointing out, the usual sequence: denial and trying to make me believe this was the grade recommended. Strangely the workshop GM and AGM service, feigned "ignorance". When I told them to give in writing and asked them to get in telecon with Skoda officials, they relented and filled VW502 5W40 from 1L cans in front of me. It is clearly said VW508 is NOT backward compatible with VW505. It was a very scary experience and left a bad taste despite having generally good experience at the dealership over last many instances.

The SA later tried justifying saying it was just the container they used to "decant"; the oil inside was 5W40: What he forgot, was, the 0W20 has a strange green colour, almost fluorescent type . The basic presumption of the service centers that all customers are gullible and unaware, is astonishing.

Anyway, situation recovered, car is running fine but I thought I would make the forum aware.

VW508 is a UNIQUE specification, NOT backward compatible, and could cause irreversible damage.

Please check the oil grade sticker in the bonnet or manual to be on the safer side.

https://azupim01.motul.com/media/mot...n_fr_motul.pdf

https://www.blauparts.com/routine-ma...20applications.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 13th June 2023 at 09:53.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (73) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 10:54   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Owners of older Skoda cars | Check the oil grade, your service center could be using the wrong one!

This is the problem is with not just Skoda but also with Maruti and Hyundai service centers. The newer cars need 0w20 or 0w16 and service centers do keep the xxW40 and xxW40 grade oils in their stock with the intent of reducing inventory. They just pour whatever oil is available in the 200L drums into all the cars. Heck, they do not even keep dedicated oils for petrol and diesel engine.

Hence I always carry my own oil to service center.
sagarpadaki is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 15:39   #3
BHPian

re: Owners of older Skoda cars | Check the oil grade, your service center could be using the wrong one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Heck, they do not even keep dedicated oils for petrol and diesel engine.
That is the issue: especially oil from drums. You do not know if it is oil or what! I am willing to spend money, I understand a big service center costs money to maintain, but, at least go by the book! Follow instructions, don't fleece! They are so used to treat consumers as blind people, that they get the courage to start fleecing. It may be a honest mistake, mistakes can happen, but owning up : nope. It is always customer fault! Same thing with warranty : it is like they are paying out of their own pockets! Anyway, it is just to request forum members to be little cautious and double check oil grade during service for the pre 2022 Skoda.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 17:24   #4
BHPian

It happens in almost all service centers. A few years back, I was at the Bosch Service Center and they poured some oil into the 2.2L Dicor from a blue drum. I asked the mechanic what grade it was and he had no clue. His face told me that he was hearing about Engine Oil "grades" for the first time. I asked his manager and he came up with an answer. I don't remember what he said, but it was way off from the recommended grade. Since then, I buy oil by myself and ask them to change. If they say they can't, they are not getting my business. It is their loss. There is always another mechanic nearby who will do it for a nominal fee.
DieselAddikt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 18:38   #5
BHPian

It will be a huge problem for cars under warranty where the oil service must be done at ASS. Most of those guys don’t accommodate an oil change to be done in front of the customer. Glad the OP was atleast allowed to inspect the oil change.
This strengthens my notion that some ASS prefer a costly mistake over a correct service because they earn more from fixing a vehicle than maintaining it right.
true_sedan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 19:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
It happens in almost all service centers. A few years back, I was at the Bosch Service Center and they poured some oil into the 2.2L Dicor from a blue drum. I asked the mechanic what grade it was and he had no clue. His face told me that he was hearing about Engine Oil "grades" for the first time. I asked his manager and he came up with an answer. I don't remember what he said, but it was way off from the recommended grade. Since then, I buy oil by myself and ask them to change. If they say they can't, they are not getting my business. It is their loss. There is always another mechanic nearby who will do it for a nominal fee.
The problem is that these "authorised/official service centers" hold your warranty hostage if you do the service yourself or take it to someone who actually knows what he is doing.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 19:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
That is the issue: especially oil from drums.
I am wondering what they will bill? Is it that they will fill the wrong oil but will bill the correct one as per system.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 09:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Owners of older Skoda cars | Check the oil grade, your service center could be using the wrong o

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post
It will be a huge problem for cars under warranty where the oil service must be done at ASS. Most of those guys don’t accommodate an oil change to be done in front of the customer. Glad the OP was atleast allowed to inspect the oil change.
This strengthens my notion that some ASS prefer a costly mistake over a correct service because they earn more from fixing a vehicle than maintaining it right.
Cars under warranty are new which almost always need xxW16/xxW20 grade. Whereas older cars(>5 years old and out of warranty) need xxW30/xxW40. When the lower viscosity oils are poured in engines that need higher viscosity but are usually not in stock with the service centers.

Apart from the grade, the specs of the oil also are very important which the service centers do not even understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
I am wondering what they will bill? Is it that they will fill the wrong oil but will bill the correct one as per system.
They will bill whatever they fill. How many customers do you think are even aware of the grade of oil that their car needs and cross verify that with what the service center has used?!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 14th June 2023 at 09:33.
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:27   #9
BHPian

Re: Owners of older Skoda cars | Check the oil grade, your service center could be using the wrong o

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I took my Superb which is 2019 model, for annual service, in the last week of May.

When I told them to give in writing and asked them to get in telecon with Skoda officials, they relented and filled VW502 5W40 from 1L cans in front of me.

Anyway, situation recovered, car is running fine but I thought I would make the forum aware.

VW508 is a UNIQUE specification, NOT backward compatible, and could cause irreversible damage.
My heart skipped a beat on reading the above post. I rushed to check my invoice as I got my car serviced recently on 6th June. Fortunately, they replaced the engine oil with 5w 40. But thanks for highlighting this. I will be careful going forward. With constant change in personnel at the service center, it is very much possible that a critical blunder like this can happen in the near future.

Details of my annual service with a snapshot of the service bill:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5564027 (My Lateral Upgrade | Honda City to a pre-owned Skoda Superb)
RJ2285 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 12:56   #10
BHPian

I have had an experience with an authorized service center in Trivandrum where they billed me for 3.9L oil for a 3.6L capacity engine (with filter change). I assumed they had overfilled and immediately checked with them over email as I was out of the country. When questioned, as expected they tried to confuse me with stupid jargon (similar to the infamous blinker fluid case). At last, when cornered with closed-ended questions, they sheepishly agreed (or lied) they filled 3.7L. Even though the charge for the extra 200ml isn't the worst issue, they didn't even bring up the topic of refunding until I asked for it. This made it clear to me that it is something they do on a regular basis.
Old 14th June 2023, 13:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

It's a vicious cycle that we are stuck in - cars don't run well and break down (thanks in part to our governments muddling these days) so we take warranties for as long as possible. Then we are forced to go visit incompetent and dishonest A.S.S. They make a mess but don't take accountability, we miss a service or go out for even minor things, they threaten to void warranty. The manufacturers have no control nor any intent to fix this mess - they just want to sell the cars. And in all this mess, our friendly, neighborhood garages are disappearing at an alarming rate. So we are even more worried and sink deeper in the warranty-A.S.S quicksand.

<end of rant>.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 16:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Cars under warranty are new which almost always need xxW16/xxW20 grade. Whereas older cars(>5 years old and out of warranty) need xxW30/xxW40. When the lower viscosity oils are poured in engines that need higher viscosity but are usually not in stock with the service centers.

Apart from the grade, the specs of the oil also are very important which the service centers do not even understand.

They will bill whatever they fill. How many customers do you think are even aware of the grade of oil that their car needs and cross verify that with what the service center has used?!
Could you elaborate why older cars are more suited for
xxW30/xxW40 oils, and new cars for xxW16/xxW20?

I had a huge row with Nexa for my first oil change on a Ciaz petrol 2021. I took a can of my favourite 5w-30 full synthetic magnatec and they would NOT budge an inch on using it, as the recommendations were for 0w-16. I had my way in the end but now im questioning my decision after reading your statement.
Old 14th June 2023, 17:21   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post

I had a huge row with Nexa for my first oil change on a Ciaz petrol 2021. I took a can of my favourite 5w-30 full synthetic magnatec and they would NOT budge an inch on using it, as the recommendations were for 0w-16. I had my way in the end but now im questioning my decision after reading your statement.
The main reason is to improve the FE and comply with the BS6 emission norms. The pistons have tighter tolerances and need a thinner oil to flow through the gaps/passages and also to maintain a layer of lube between the piston and cylinder wall.

The service center is right in not allowing you to use the oil you got, because they are not sure of the consequences. However, you need not worry too much. As long as the specs of the 5W30 match with 0W16 you will be good. However, from next change onwards I suggest you stick with 0W16
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 17:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Hey man,
I'll keep this short-
-Lower numbers indicate lower friction oils
-Better for efficiency, with all the strict regulations in place
- May accelerate engine wear (keyword here being may)

- Just use the oil the OEM asks you to, lot less headache wrt future warranty claims. Not saying your engine will blow up with a grade up/down, I'm saying the ASC may use it as an convenient excuse to deny a genuine warranty claim that's even remotely related to your engine

Cheers
gandharjc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 20:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it then an open admission that they are not following the OEM mandated service oil grade and come back to bite them for warranty related claim? I know in India dealership and OEM can wriggle out using other excuses but still in case any one takes legal route, they will be in mess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks