Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2023, 15:53   #121
BHPian

Re: Honda's new SUV for India | EDIT: Named Elevate

Going against most of the tide here, I like it a lot. I would’ve said ‘love’ but I don’t like that side skirting thingy and I’m not wholly sold on that grill. Having said which, it looks pretty decent in the white version.

I like the interiors a lot! Understated, not too busy or bling and I really like that (faux) leather colour. A pretty timeless cabin which will age well imo.

The engine and gearbox - my Dad still has and loves our champagne gold 2009 City. Utterly love that engine, it’s so damn drive-able in any situation. And if this handles anything like how Hondas typically do, it’ll certainly be the easiest manual car to drive in traffic in its category.

Plus, that boot looks massive!

Yeah yeah, everybody here wants to feel like a Formula whatever driver every now and then but there’s a huge number of people who just want something that works that they can blindly trust. I’m one of them. If you refuse to subscribe to Hyundai/Kia with their atrocious record and attitude to safety (and in my eyes - that ghastly bling design language of the Seltos/(ex)Creta), aren’t thrilled by the Maruti autos or don’t want a Maruti for various reasons, this is a genuinely compelling alternative, particularly if you prize reliability and keep your cars for a long time. Let’s see how they price it though but I see plenty of takers.
RT13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 15:53   #122
BANNED

Design is not at all original, profile looks like Seltos/Magnite. Rear looks ripped off from Grand Vitara. Front is uninspring at best.
Old 6th June 2023, 16:08   #123
Senior - BHPian

Why are they shy of launching the hybrid version? Would have diverted some of the customers from MS/ TKML. I was quite interested in seeing how a hybrid version would fare in terms of boot space, given Hondas penchant for maximizing cabin space.
Old 6th June 2023, 16:11   #124
BHPian

Nobody has commented but the rear seats have full headrests.
Quatro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 16:13   #125
BHPian

Interesting to see the air conditioning controls having changed. The rotary dials were awesome and something which was seen across international models.

The new ones seem to have a resemblance to the Suzuki ones seen on the Baleno, Brezza etc

Also glad to see non beige interiors in a Honda !

Last edited by ellip5i5 : 6th June 2023 at 16:17. Reason: Added an additional point
Old 6th June 2023, 16:25   #126
BHPian

Looks good except for the front grille. Honda (India) seems to have woken up from their deep slumber and has come up with a decent package. This may not dethrone Creta, but can bring in decent sales for honda.

Hope they don't overprice this SUV and do a hara-kiri.
Old 6th June 2023, 16:43   #127
BHPian

Looks like the mg gloster(smaller version) from the front and seltos from the side and rear profile. Looks are meh in my opinion. Doesn't look like a jap car in fact to me. And they would have been better off launching a hybrid version/option as well. That or this has to be priced ridiculously well to take off.

Last edited by Senotrius : 6th June 2023 at 16:44.
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 16:53   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Nobody has commented but the rear seats have full headrests.
Would have been better if the middle passenger also got it
NICHE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 16:58   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
internationally, are there not laws about what happens when car meets pedestrian?
Looks like not, otherwise entire Lexus and BMW management would have been behind the bars for their "predator" grille designs.
Latheesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 17:02   #130
BHPian

There is still a considerable number of buyers looking for a proper urban SUV that falls into the following categories:
1. GNCAP rating of 4+
2. Reliable brand
3. Efficient, powerful, and sporty engine
4. Trouble-free ownership
5. Good resale value

Considering the history of other Honda products receiving a 4+ rating, it is safe to assume that the Elevate should receive at least a 4 rating. This will certainly attract a lot of buyers away from Hyundai and Kia stable.
cosmodan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 17:04   #131
BHPian

Honda could have done worse ! I fully expected them to but they've done a pretty good job here.

Still think it is around 4 years late to the market, should have been on sale since 2019!

Would I have liked a more graceful design ? Sure, but I can see this car in my garage.

It appears that the Elevate is based on the City platform and not the Amaze, which is great.

I like the interiors, would I pick the Elevate over a Taigun/Kushaq ? Sure I would.
Hyundai/Kia fans may not make the switch that easily. The boot space looks great too.

It appears that Honda's new moto is "Best is the Enemy of Good", so Good it is !

All in all Honda appears to have arrested their decline with a series of duds and the Elevate will do much to restore some shine to Brand Honda.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 17:11   #132
BHPian

Going by the number of features and powertrain used, my is guess is it would be priced between ₹16.50-17.00 lakhs ex-showroom for the top CVT variant, which is ₹50k-1 lakh more than the City, for essentially the crossover form of the City. I except this to do around 3-5k in monthly sales, if priced so.

Also, Kia Seltos HTX IVT is priced at ₹15.90 currently, has similar features(except adas) and the new facelift which around corner may increase this even further. So, should be very interesting when compared to rivals in second-top variant guise.
Old 6th June 2023, 17:13   #133
Senior - BHPian

It's a distinct-looking car. I don't hate the looks, but my cause of worry is the dealership experience in Bengaluru. They're 'few and far between' and my friends have complained about the service aspect. Also, Honda service costs are pricey. I'd like to add here that our next car would be a hybrid, given the high cost of fuel. So, disappointed that Honda has not offered this.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 17:18   #134

Looks like this is the final nail in the coffin for Honda India — what an underwhelming launch!

I wonder if anyone will be able to challenge the Korean twins in this segment anytime soon.
yoakki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 17:24   #135

Boy ... such a polarizing launch going by the comments so far and my own thoughts

Good many things to like and some not so much.

For sure - I am going to make up my mind only after a test driver - whenever that is. Feel inside the cabin and at the steering.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks