Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2023, 20:32   #826
BHPian

Re: Honda Elevate Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
The Gen4 city engine was codename: Np1-Kai, SOHC
Gen5 is called AP2, DOHC

Two engines and many of their peripheral components are entirely different. But Honda should have marketed that in a proper way. Being the same displacement and I-vtec tag, gives a vibe that both are same engines.
Trying to understand the difference between the SOHC and DOHC arrangement on the same displacement engine tends to indicate some interesting points though a DOHC is considered a better and more evolved version compared to an SOHC:

a) that the low end power on a SOHC while the overall HP number on a DOHC is better and this is achieved at the higher end (higher engine revs).

b) fuel efficiency on a SOHC tends to be better than a DOHC

I am not sure how the real world FE compares between the two versions of the Honda engine in the City though.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 20:37   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuChDa View Post
Looks like you are confused between IVT and iMT.

IVT is Korean naming for otherwise a CVT. It's the iMT which doesn't have a clutch pedal but has a gear lever.

So in the comparison it's apples to apples between Elevate CVT and Seltos IVT.
Thanks GuCHDa, yes indeed! Thanks for clearing my doubts . I have not driven anything other than an automatic transmission for the past 22 years and hence, it doesnt come naturally to me. On another note, does anyone here have a feedback on how the iMT is to drive? Is it smooth or can it splutter to a stop if we don't downshift it at the right time?
Old 29th July 2023, 20:46   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Thanks GuCHDa, yes indeed! Thanks for clearing my doubts . I have not driven anything other than an automatic transmission for the past 22 years and hence, it doesnt come naturally to me. On another note, does anyone here have a feedback on how the iMT is to drive? Is it smooth or can it splutter to a stop if we don't downshift it at the right time?
I have driven the iMT in Sonet just out of curiosity with no intentions to buy. It's a diesel car.

Simply amazing i must say. Very smooth and I sometimes think why does Maruti don't give that as a solution. Much superior to AMT with full control and ease without a pedal. It has many other safety features too like hill hold and engine stall protection etc.. The only downside is you forget to change gears assuming it to be a fully automatic and that's something one would get used to eventually.

Its a fine option to proper automatic and better than AMT with manual like FE and better clutch life. However, performance wise it's a little slower to a proper automatic (TC or DCT)

Last edited by GuChDa : 29th July 2023 at 20:48.
GuChDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 21:03   #829
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
. On another note, does anyone here have a feedback on how the iMT is to drive? Is it smooth or can it splutter to a stop if we don't downshift it at the right time?
I own a Sonet turbo petrol iMT.

Positives-
1) Pinky finger light gearshift
2) Car never stalls
3) Gives identical FE to a manual GB
4) Lower maintenance than a DCT/TC
5) Clutchless results in rest for left leg
6) Practically similar to a manual gearbox under 95% of driving conditions

Negatives-.
1) Gearshift is a little slow when repeatedly shifting about 4.5-5K rpm. Once or twice is cool, but going from 1st to 5th gear at such rpms rapidly the gearshift becomes a little slower.
2) If you have a automatic car at home too, you might forget to shift gears. I have a ecosport S TDCI too (manual), which doesn't cause any issues for me. But it might be different for folks having a iMT and Automatic at home.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 23:46   #830
BHPian

With so many pages of posts from so many members, one can say that no other car in recent times has attracted so much spectrum of opinions right from calling bankruptcy of Honda India to the car being dead on arrival to the car being not competitive to Seltos/Creta to the car being ultra reliable and safe and to it achieving different levels of successes as per the members. Time does answer everything eventually.
Yieldway17 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 00:16   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
With so many pages of posts from so many members, one can say that no other car in recent times has attracted so much spectrum of opinions right from calling bankruptcy of Honda India to the car being dead on arrival to the car being not competitive to Seltos/Creta to the car being ultra reliable and safe and to it achieving different levels of successes as per the members. Time does answer everything eventually.
I think main reason is the time Honda is taking with price and variants wise feature reveals . With other brands we usually have some updates each month so discussion moves on without room for speculation. With the waiting game from Honda , by each passing day the speculation grows . Although I am enjoying all of it
Revvatron is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 00:36   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
It's is rumoured that the Turbo engine AP2-T is starting it's localisation journey soon. May be down the ine it will also find the place in city and elevate.

An amaze based SUV (compact may be) will also debut in 2024.
The only one that Google baba throws up for the AP2-T engine is for some parts for Honda Civic 1.5l turbo. So is it the 1.5l turbo? If so all forgiven for Honda India, and it also clears the path for more C, C+ segment models from Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
What engine is it? Is it the 1.0 turbo that powers the City in Thailand?
Hope it is not. We would rather be left with the good old 1.5l NA L15 engine. The Thailand 1.0 turbo is just a compliance engine derived from an old kei car engine. Not missing much in its absence, unless Honda India wants to enter sub 4m segment.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 06:31   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The only one that Google baba throws up for the AP2-T engine is for some parts for Honda Civic 1.5l turbo. So is it the 1.5l turbo? If so all forgiven for Honda India, and it also clears the path for more C, C+ segment models from Honda.

Hope it is not. We would rather be left with the good old 1.5l NA L15 engine. The Thailand 1.0 turbo is just a compliance engine derived from an old kei car engine. Not missing much in its absence, unless Honda India wants to enter sub 4m segment.
For the AP2 engine for me in Google, it is throwing up the S2000.

The 1.0 turbo is also available in Europe I think powering the Civic. So it is not necessary a compliance engine but in Thailand due to their Eco Laws it is one. But for sub-4m this is quite good as it has healthy output (around 120hp and 175Nm of torque in Thailand City(almost at par with Hyundai 1.0 TGDI)).
Old 30th July 2023, 08:51   #834
BANNED

Toyota is poking at Elevate

Honda Elevate Preview-screenshot_20230730084611513_com.twitter.android.jpg
wheelguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 11:19   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Toyota is poking at Elevate

Attachment 2483434
That brings us to an interesting point, though dependant on the pricing of the Elevate : isnt a Hyryder a better vehicle compared to the all petrol Elevate given that they are of the similar dimensions?
Old 30th July 2023, 11:46   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That brings us to an interesting point, though dependant on the pricing of the Elevate : isnt a Hyryder a better vehicle compared to the all petrol Elevate given that they are of the similar dimensions?
Better how? Hybrid powertrain? Yes but Elevate would be mostly priced at par with Hyryder’s NA variants and the NA engine is lame in G.Vitara/Hyryder compared to 1.5NA iVtec. Feature-wise(Panoramic sunroof) maybe slightly better, not sure.

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th July 2023 at 11:48.
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 11:46   #837
BANNED

Quote:
I didn't like the space management in GV and Hyryder twins, especially the rear seat headroom.
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 12:33   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Better how? Hybrid powertrain? Yes but Elevate would be mostly priced at par with Hyryder’s NA variants and the NA engine is lame in G.Vitara/Hyryder compared to 1.5NA iVtec. Feature-wise(Panoramic sunroof) maybe slightly better, not sure.
I am sure that Elevate in MT will perform better in every aspect than GV/Hyryder equivalent. But do remember that the other japanese has mild hybrid for torque assist to mask the limited power and is offering 20 ish while Elevate is 15 ish in FE department.

I suspect that people going for CVT in Elevate will be dissapointed. Even if the 0 to 100 is 13.5 sec when properly driven, with full load it will be painfully slower. I observed that 70 to 100 kmph took half of the 15 secs and that's where overtaking happen.

Hyryder sadly was designed by Maruti. Quality is maruti kind. Rear seat and Head room isn't that good and that curtain for sun roof is a pain. Hybrid is however too good for city with excellent mileage but that 3 pot is too noisy and goes out of breath at highways. Adding to this is the limited boot space in the hybrid.

Overall these all cars in NA versions seems to be city cars primarily which to me defeats the purpose looking at 20 lakh investment. Hybrid then becomes sensible at the simikar price point with excellent FE.

Last edited by GuChDa : 30th July 2023 at 12:35.
GuChDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 12:44   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuChDa View Post
I suspect that people going for CVT in Elevate will be dissapointed. Even if the 0 to 100 is 13.5 sec when properly driven, with full load it will be painfully slower. I observed that 70 to 100 kmph took half of the 15 secs and that's where overtaking happen.
Like I said earlier. Let’s wait for credible sources to reveal 0-100 numbers rather than basing comments on that one off lame video.

As one reviewer(quoted below) who has actually driven it already mentioned, this is a well thought customer friendly car with great ride quality. I don’t expect it to be much slower than NA 1.5 competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
This is a very well-thought Honda-customer-friendly car and one of the most, if not the most, comfortable ride quality in this segment.
Having said that I think this would be a decent upgrade for people like me graduating from a Jazz or any 1.2NA cars but not really for City owners. For them mostly a lateral movement.

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th July 2023 at 12:55.
SoumenD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 12:44   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
I didn't like the space management in GV and Hyryder twins, especially the rear seat headroom.
I agree, the rear headroom is a problem, specially with the sunroof version.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks