Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2023, 17:04   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Elevate Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuChDa View Post
Honda Elevate CVT 0 to 100 speed test you tube video.

About 15 secs in Sports mode. Drive mode will be higher touching about 20 secs.
Not sure who the guy is but that’s the lamest way of driving a honda CVT. Nobody, I repeat nobody drives a CVT in sports mode that way. Sports mode one should use paddleshifters for optimum performance. And if his lame attempt returned 15 seconds, proper usage of paddleshifters can easily shave off 2+ seconds.

Ofcourse it will be slower than the city(aerodynamics and all).

P.S: Would wait for the timings from credible sources (like Autocar)

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th July 2023 at 17:27.
SoumenD is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 18:31   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
The Gen4 city engine was codename: Np1-Kai, SOHC
Gen5 is called AP2, DOHC

Two engines and many of their peripheral components are entirely different. But Honda should have marketed that in a proper way. Being the same displacement and I-vtec tag, gives a vibe that both are same engines.
If I remember correctly, the NP in NP1 is "New Powertrain" and AP in AP2 is " Advance Powertrain" . The numeric denotes some version specific to country/ Region.

The AP2 engine was developed for meeting the BS6 emission norms for India or I should say the NP1 engine was re-engineered for meeting BS6 norms and called as AP2.

However, honda later realized that their NP1 engine was already so efficient that it met the BS6 standards . Thus we saw both Gen 4 & Gen 5 selling in parallel.
Motorhead23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 18:32   #813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Not sure who the guy is but that’s the lamest way of driving a honda CVT. Nobody, I repeat nobody drives a CVT in sports mode that way. Sports mode one should use paddleshifters for optimum performance. And if his lame attempt returned 15 seconds, proper usage of paddleshifters can easily shave off 2+ seconds.

Ofcourse it will be slower than the city(aerodynamics and all).

P.S: Would wait for the timings from credible sources (like Autocar)
Agreed on a CVT box in sports mode, best times would be achieved through paddles.

That said, even 13 secs for 0-100 is quite slow, considering the city CVT manages this in about 10.2 secs. I had seen a few videos of preface lift Seltos IVT doing 0-100 in about 12 secs in sports mode without using the paddle shifts. If Elevate takes 15 secs for the same, that's woefully slow. Waiting to see more of such numbers from some more credible sources.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 18:49   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Agreed on a CVT box in sports mode, best times would be achieved through paddles.

That said, even 13 secs for 0-100 is quite slow, considering the city CVT manages this in about 10.2 secs. I had seen a few videos of preface lift Seltos IVT doing 0-100 in about 12 secs in sports mode without using the paddle shifts. If Elevate takes 15 secs for the same, that's woefully slow. Waiting to see more of such numbers from some more credible sources.
I hope you know that city gets that time due to its Aero advantage. But I personally find the around 13 sec time of the elevate to be respectable. Wish Honda introduced a turbo engine.
ergon_9700 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 18:57   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergon_9700 View Post
I hope you know that city gets that time due to its Aero advantage. But I personally find the around 13 sec time of the elevate to be respectable. Wish Honda introduced a turbo engine.
I know the City's numbers are lower and it has the aerodynamics.
But I am comparing the prefacelift times of a Seltos IVT without using paddles in sport mode with the above Elevate's CVT in sports mode without using paddles. Seltos does it in 12 secs, Elevate takes 15 for same. That's woefully slower.
07CR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 19:04   #816
BHPian

Quote:
But I am comparing the prefacelift times of a Seltos IVT without using paddles in sport mode with the above Elevate's CVT in sports mode without using paddles. Seltos does it in 12 secs, Elevate takes 15 for same. That's woefully slower.
Okay that is fine. But then as the person who drove did not drive it properly in sports mode (he changed it to drive in between), then obviously it will be slower due to drive mode. Let us see the timings from Autocar, Evo India etc
ergon_9700 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 19:23   #817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Three things happened with the Gen 5 City pricing

3. They had a trump card. The superbly kitted V model, available in both manual and CVT guises at very attractive prices. Drew in customers from sedans, crossovers as well as the sub 4m compact crossovers. You could have a Honda City CVT automatic with all essential kit cheaper than a top end Nexon AMT. Again, makes you think.
I completely agree with this. I was very skeptical about buying a City due to the cost and ground clearance (GC) concerns. I was about to book a Nexon instead. However, I came across the City V CVT and compared it with the highest variant of Nexon. To my surprise, the City V was very much equivalent, or even better, in terms of features and offerings (minus the sunroof). The increased dimensions and comfort of the City convinced me to compromise on the GC, which, in reality, hasn't been a very big issue.

I purchased the City V CVT for 12.4 L ex-showroom last year in March 2022, and I'm extremely happy with my decision. Honda needs to offer the Elevate at a competitive price point to attract customers with its value proposition without compromising on safety or reliability. If they manage to do this, a few missing features won't be a major factor.

Currently, if you want to buy an automatic variant of Seltos or Creta, you have to spend a minimum of 16.3 L for the automatic and 15 L ex-showroom for the iMT variant of Seltos.
vineetklkrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 19:25   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
I say that 21 odd Lakhs is money well spent and Honda have a winner on their hands. Advance Bookings are robust too.
You can't compare the Seltos GTX+ DCT 1.5 Turbo with the Honda Elevate. That's not an apples-to-apples comparison. The Hyundai Creta SX Opt IVT with the 1.5L NA engine costs 21.5L on the road in Bangalore. Unless Honda prices its top-end variant at least 1L less than the Hyundai Creta SX Opt IVT - which would mean an ex-showroom price of 16.5L-17L - I don't see how it could be a winner. In the best case scenario, it might surpass the MG Astor.
Caffeinated_Owl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 19:46   #819
BHPian

I wish if not turbo, Honda had introduced the 1.8 Petrol engine from the erstwhile Civic. They were already making it in India not long time back. It would have made sure that performance of the Elevate is good! Somehow, Honda has been really modest when it comes to giving high power engines in India in each segment.
The last gen Civic also bombed in India because of the lackluster diesel engine it came with.
Candy$Cars is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 19:58   #820
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergon_9700 View Post
Wish Honda introduced a turbo engine.
It's is rumoured that the Turbo engine AP2-T is starting it's localisation journey soon. May be down the ine it will also find the place in city and elevate.

An amaze based SUV (compact may be) will also debut in 2024.
UD17 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 20:03   #821
BHPian

Quote:
It's is rumoured that the Turbo engine AP2-T is starting it's localisation journey soon. May be down the ine it will also find the place in city and elevate.

Wow. I would like to repeat Hawkeye from Avengers:Endgame -'Don't give me hope'. This is as far as current attitude of Honda is concerned.

Anyways if this is true then as Flintstone says 'Yabba Dabba Doo!!!!'
ergon_9700 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 20:10   #822
BHPian

Quote:

What engine is it? Is it the 1.0 turbo that powers the City in Thailand?
Old 29th July 2023, 20:14   #823
BHPian

Quote:
How does the Kia IVT work? Does it shift automatically or does it need manual shifting (just that the clutch is absent)? I believe Hyundai/ Kia has the clutchless manual shift version too? If it is not an automatic shifting, the comparison isnt a fair one, IMHO.

Last edited by outdoorlover : 29th July 2023 at 20:15.
Old 29th July 2023, 20:24   #824
BHPian

Also UD17 any idea on 1.2 L turbo or a 1.0 turbo in sub 4m cars in India for say Amaze or WR-V?
Old 29th July 2023, 20:32   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
How does the Kia IVT work? Does it shift automatically or does it need manual shifting (just that the clutch is absent)? I believe Hyundai/ Kia has the clutchless manual shift version too? If it is not an automatic shifting, the comparison isnt a fair one, IMHO.
Looks like you are confused between IVT and iMT.

IVT is Korean naming for otherwise a CVT. It's the iMT which doesn't have a clutch pedal but has a gear lever.

So in the comparison it's apples to apples between Elevate CVT and Seltos IVT.
GuChDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks