Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2023, 14:39   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Elevate Preview

Fellow BHPian Bunny Punia's walkaround video.

Few observations:

1. The key fob looks identical to what I have for my Jazz CVT.
2. The nifty bottle-holder on the right side of steering just infront of AC vent present in Jazz seems missing in Elevate. Its an excellent position to keep bottles cool & easily accessible on the go.
3. Non adjustable arm-rest is sad considering the small length. Think even AMAZE gets adjustable one.

And space test.

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th July 2023 at 14:58.
SoumenD is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 16:14   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
One of my biggest grouse. This car is touted to command a premium over the City. But will lose the following -

1) One touch up down for all windows
2) illuminated window buttons
3) window operation through key fob
4) rain sensing wipers
5 footwell lamps

Why this cost cutting and then the premium pricing? It's like Honda India wants to fail and have an excuse for exiting the market.
This just reinforces my opinion that this is dead-on-arrival product unless it is prices significantly cheaper than competition by a big margin.

Just as a comparison, my Vento which is more than a decade old product and have all of the above features. I don't even know if 'illuminated window buttons' or 'one touch up down for windows' can be classified as premium features in today's world. As expected, Honda India continues to disappoint
adimicra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 18:37   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
This just reinforces my opinion that this is dead-on-arrival product unless it is prices significantly cheaper than competition by a big margin.

Just as a comparison, my Vento which is more than a decade old product and have all of the above features. I don't even know if 'illuminated window buttons' or 'one touch up down for windows' can be classified as premium features in today's world. As expected, Honda India continues to disappoint
Contrary to this opinion there was someone who was mentioning here that they have sufficient booking numbers.

To me,

For what ever reason this isn't love at first sight kind of vehicle. Koreans you can fall in love for fit, finish and features and engine refinement too. Germans you can fall in love for safety and performance included above the Koreans.

This car is somewhere which I am unable to connect to. That feel of satisfaction isn't coming irrespective of the lack of features due to such small misses.

It will sell for the 1.5 NA engine to an extent competing within that variant across. Not a replacement otherwise.

Last edited by GuChDa : 28th July 2023 at 18:40.
GuChDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 19:37   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuChDa View Post
It will sell for the 1.5 NA engine to an extent competing within that variant across. Not a replacement otherwise.
Honda is obviously not targeting customers who prefer a Turbo Petrol or a Diesel or a Hybrid. Their target customers are likely the Boomers and Gen-X, who would prefer a no-nonsense petrol manual or a CVT automatic, and value function over form.

May be Honda knows that the number of NA Petrol and CVT variants sold by the competitors are significant compared to other engine types, and they are focusing on grabbing a big share of that pie.
venus1975 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 19:45   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus1975 View Post
Honda is obviously not targeting customers who prefer a Turbo Petrol or a Diesel or a Hybrid. Their target customers are likely the Boomers and Gen-X, who would prefer a no-nonsense petrol manual or a CVT automatic, and value function over form.

May be Honda knows that the number of NA Petrol and CVT variants sold by the competitors are significant compared to other engine types, and they are focusing on grabbing a big share of that pie.
80 percent of the sales are from NA variants. The question is what makes this special. It could be the pricing and driving which are the only asepcts unknown for now . Will need to wait. If these asepcts also falter then?

This segment sells about 40 K units so approx 32 K are from NA variants. With the allocation plans Honda has for Elevate Domestic /Export. It turns out 3.5 k units for India. Meaning 10 percent of NA variants.

These sale figures for Honda if termed as SUCCESS, so be it. That way Honda is realistic.

Last edited by GuChDa : 28th July 2023 at 19:50.
GuChDa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 19:58   #786
BHPian

Quote:
This car is somewhere which I am unable to connect to. That feel of satisfaction isn't coming irrespective of the lack of features due to such small misses.
Totally agree. It's these small misses that make Elevate difficult to feel like an upgrade to me. Barring size, there's nothing else much to look forward to from my current vehicle which has almost the same power to weight ratio. I would have definitely gone for the hybrid or turbo option had they offered but going for this 1.5 NA motor. Heart's getting inclined towards Seltos GTX. Even if I neglect the lack of Hybrid or turbo, the lack of basic features is a hard to swallow pill.

Could have offered atleast ventilated seats even if not powered.those backlit and illuminated AC knobs and window switches are what make City's interior feel upmarket. They are not carried here. Yes, the overall look of interior is pleasant I have my reservations as to how those features in the cabin will date.

That would be my question to all who say that it's a vehicle for those who like to keep their cars for a long time(I, for one, am on that boat and intend to keep my purchase for atleast 10 years and even 15 if all is fine).

I am left wondering how much cost could they have saved by omitting these small things. Already, most of our devices have started shifting to providing a type c to type c cables and seeing the fast paced technological upgradation, I assume that it'll be hard to find a type a to type c cable 6-7 years from now.

Why does it feel that Honda team was being very short sighted when making these calls. Or maybe they are wanting people to upgrade to Elevate EV 6-7 years from now.

Is there something I am missing?? Will be glad to get enlightened.
motographer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 20:00   #787
BHPian

Quote:
This segment sells about 40 K units so approx 32 K are from NA variants.
I don't know where you got these numbers from, but if they are indeed accurate, I don't really understand the hue and cry in this forum over lack of Turbo Petrol and Hybrid options in Elevate.

Quote:
With the allocation plans Honda has for Elevate Domestic /Export. It turns out 3.5 k units for India. Meaning 10 percent of NA variants.
These sales for Honda is termed as SUCCESS, so be it. That way Honda is realistic.
Yes, they seem to be pretty clear on their goal. It is like, we all want them to be the topper and get into the IITs, while they are absolutely fine passing the exam with 60% marks and happily pursue a humble degree course in a local college.
venus1975 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 20:14   #788
BHPian

Here's what appears to be the official Honda Elevate brochure.

Source: Elevate FB group

Note to MODS: All the info contained here is already known. Please remove if this was already posted.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf honda-elevate-brochure.pdf (19.62 MB, 256 views)

Last edited by pannags : 28th July 2023 at 20:19.
Old 28th July 2023, 20:20   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motographer View Post
Totally agree. It's these small misses that make Elevate difficult to feel like an upgrade to me. Barring size, there's nothing else much to look forward to from my current vehicle which has almost the same power to weight ratio. I would have definitely gone for the hybrid or turbo option had they offered but going for this 1.5 NA motor. Heart's getting inclined towards Seltos GTX. Even if I neglect the lack of Hybrid or turbo, the lack of basic features is a hard to swallow pill.

Could have offered atleast ventilated seats even if not powered.those backlit and illuminated AC knobs and window switches are what make City's interior feel upmarket. They are not carried here. Yes, the overall look of interior is pleasant I have my reservations as to how those features in the cabin will date.

That would be my question to all who say that it's a vehicle for those who like to keep their cars for a long time(I, for one, am on that boat and intend to keep my purchase for atleast 10 years and even 15 if all is fine).

I am left wondering how much cost could they have saved by omitting these small things. Already, most of our devices have started shifting to providing a type c to type c cables and seeing the fast paced technological upgradation, I assume that it'll be hard to find a type a to type c cable 6-7 years from now.

Why does it feel that Honda team was being very short sighted when making these calls. Or maybe they are wanting people to upgrade to Elevate EV 6-7 years from now.

Is there something I am missing?? Will be glad to get enlightened.
Very true. I too am particular before buying. I don't change cars until 12 years. I made up my mind for Elevate Hybrid going by the hype. Big dissapintment to begin.

Then trying hard to convince that's it's something I can keep for 10 to 12 years, but every time I try to, I find small yet sweet things missing for no cost or reasons. Not a big fan of features or looks but more for the feel and driving.

I wouldn't buy if someone says reliability is a plus for Honda. It's reasonably similar and globally Koreans beat Honda in present times.

I would go further to state my mind. Honda killed Elevate for better prospects for their BEV I suppose. It's hard to believe that Honda considers more sales in BEV avatar than in the ICE form
GuChDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 20:23   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Here's what appears to be the official Honda Elevate brochure.

Source: Elevate FB group

Note to MODS: All the info contained here is already known. Please remove if this was already posted.
This brochure has been around for a while. Getting one with the variant break up would be interesting.
SedateGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 20:53   #791
BHPian

Wouldn't the reviewers be wondering what exactly is a week long media drive for. Is that how every drive happens? The car itself isn't exactly earth shattering in terms of what it is going to offer. Good to see Honda attempting to build the hype though. They're probably focusing on the core strengths(turn radius, ground clearance, refinement etc). And come on Honda, that handbrake deserves a satin chrome tip, the AC vents deserve some silver highlights and or is it being reserved for the facelift.
Old 28th July 2023, 21:34   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
Wouldn't the reviewers be wondering what exactly is a week long media drive for. Is that how every drive happens?
Its usually the case these days. Drives happen over a few days & all reviews are released on a fixed day later. There are so many reviewers these days giving slot to all at a time is nearly impossible IMHO. So they divide them in slots over different days. But embargo is placed on release of videos/articles in order to give everyone a level playing field. I don't think same reviewer would be having the Elevate for entire 7 straight days. But since its a race to release videos first and increase traction on their channels, youtubers have started releasing walkaround videos etc to keep public hooked to their channels.

GTO/Mods/Reviewers can confirm though.

Guess we have enough obituary posts on the car in this thread by now. Appreciate if someone who has actually seen and driven the car(Mods or other reviewers) give some sneak peak into ride quality/performance etc moreso vis-a-vis competition(asking for too much?)

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th July 2023 at 21:48.
SoumenD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 21:35   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
Wouldn't the reviewers be wondering what exactly is a week long media drive for. Is that how every drive happens? The car itself isn't exactly earth shattering in terms of what it is going to offer. Good to see Honda attempting to build the hype though. They're probably focusing on the core strengths(turn radius, ground clearance, refinement etc). And come on Honda, that handbrake deserves a satin chrome tip, the AC vents deserve some silver highlights and or is it being reserved for the facelift.
I am one of those reviewers, and it is too hectic. For Elevate's first drive, it was the worst. We barely got to stretch the entire rev range of all gears and CVT steps. We get a few hours with the vehicles, and we are time bound before the next batch arrives. Await the embargo to lift for all details from all the reviewers. This is a very well-thought Honda-customer-friendly car and one of the most, if not the most, comfortable ride quality in this segment.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 22:12   #794
BHPian

All the negativity aside, sometimes we underestimate what the basics of a car can do to a run of the mill buyer. To illustrate:

I ended up buying a car I never dreamt I would due to what I thought is a featureless car. But believe me, I felt it got its basics right. It has way less power and features compared to the cars I owned, or considered buying - up to 18 lacs INR. But I found the sheer quality and comfort so good that I cannot find a suitable replacement. My family also is happy. And, I don't miss any of the features or qualities my previous cars had which are not present in my current car. Possibly this is the type of market Honda plans to retain both in India and outside. After all they plan for exports, too.

Last edited by theabstractmind : 28th July 2023 at 22:35. Reason: Spelling
theabstractmind is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 09:18   #795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
Possibly this is the type of market Honda plans to retain both in India and outside. After all they plan for exports, too.
What remains to be seen is that whether the spec sheet and features for the export variants is the same as Indian spec and how it's received in those markets.

Going by what they already offer in other markets ( even in Pakistan which gets both HR-V and Accord), this spec Elevate will not go down well with thise consumers.

And if they provide a different spec variant, that'll just reinforce the belief that Honda has colonial mindset in how they perceive Indian consumers and are taking us for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Guess we have enough obituary posts on the car in this thread by now. Appreciate if someone who has actually seen and driven the car(Mods or other reviewers) give some sneak peak into ride quality/performance etc moreso vis-a-vis competition(asking for too much?)
Came across one YouTube short(from a prominent automobile review platform)showcasing the ground clearance of Elevate and that made me wonder as to are these reviews paid to falsely portray good things about the car. They were trying to get the car from a divider on the highway to the road and they had placed rocks to facilitate the car getting down without scratching the undersurface. It was funny because it was so evident that the rocks were strategically placed . The only problem is that has Honda asked reviewers to portray Elevate in good light(why invest in providing features when you can rather put that money in getting paid reviews about how astonishing your car is. I don't even know which reviewer will give an unbiased opinion. I hope Kartikeya from MotorInc was invited and we get his review about the car.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 29th July 2023 at 10:19. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks