Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2023, 20:54   #766
BHPian

Re: Honda Elevate Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
This car will satisfy the ones who always wanted a WR-V CVT but were unfortunately never given the chance to own one by Honda. Also, is there no embargo in place for the reviews as several videos are already up on YouTube.
I was also feeling on similar lines. Jazz cross with Hybrid with about 180 mm GC and Magic seats would have been a meaningful car if not desirous car for a family. My thoughts only here.

WRV and Elevate are practically the same with later having bolder stance and bigger boot with revised Dash. In the end WRV being 100 kgs lesser would have met the performance and FE needs better.

Reviews ongoing are like trailers without new info except that the car is out in open. Drive reviews are reserved for post 1st Aug only.
GuChDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 21:32   #767

Honda and Sensible pricing seldom go hand in hand. They are sure to mess this up for sure.
AtrBudu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 21:46   #768

Just putting something I came by, out here.
Some of you might have already watched this. But this talks about how Honda made a Sportscar "Sensible" and might have made a huge mistake.

This is Jason Cammisa's new 'Revelations' episode and I thought this might be an apt time to share it here.
Old 27th July 2023, 22:26   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrBudu View Post
Honda and Sensible pricing seldom go hand in hand. They are sure to mess this up for sure.
Actually, back in 2020, Honda rightly priced the 5th gen All new Honda City. You can refer to https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4844689 (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62) for the price difference which was very much reasonable. Yes, they went wrong with e:HEV pricing, but I would treat e:HEV more like Honda's experiment for hybrid rather than a longer strategic product like that of Elevate. So, I expect a sensible pricing from Honda India for the Elevate, but let's see.
skarthiksr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 07:35   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuChDa View Post
No remote windows and sunroof operation in Elevate. It's there in the city. Another feature missed.
One of my biggest grouse. This car is touted to command a premium over the City. But will lose the following -

1) One touch up down for all windows
2) illuminated window buttons
3) window operation through key fob
4) rain sensing wipers
5 footwell lamps

Why this cost cutting and then the premium pricing? It's like Honda India wants to fail and have an excuse for exiting the market.
07CR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 08:36   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post

4) rain sensing wipers
5 footwell lamps

Why this cost cutting and then the premium pricing? It's like Honda India wants to fail and have an excuse for exiting the market.
I'll add my only grouse - missing the 3 point seat belt for the third passenger in the rear bench!

BTW, the price hasn't been announced yet, right? I think we should wait and then concur

Last edited by pannags : 28th July 2023 at 08:39.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 08:50   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
Actually, back in 2020, Honda rightly priced the 5th gen All new Honda City. You can refer to https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4844689 (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62) for the price difference which was very much reasonable. Yes, they went wrong with e:HEV pricing, but I would treat e:HEV more like Honda's experiment for hybrid rather than a longer strategic product like that of Elevate. So, I expect a sensible pricing from Honda India for the Elevate, but let's see.
Three things happened with the Gen 5 City pricing

1. When the Gen5 was launched, Honda kept the pricing in step with that of the Gen4 (which was overpriced at its time). It was understandable, given that the Gen5 is essentially a full facelift of the Gen4 with mainly cosmetic changes, but it had impact in terms of value perception.

2. During and after COVID, when all car prices went berserk, Honda was not as cavalier. While the Koreans went the tech, features and turbo/DCT way to justify the increase, Honda played the value card. You had a scenario where to top end City was a good 4L cheaper than a top end Creta or Seltos. Made every buyer think.

3. They had a trump card. The superbly kitted V model, available in both manual and CVT guises at very attractive prices. Drew in customers from sedans, crossovers as well as the sub 4m compact crossovers. You could have a Honda City CVT automatic with all essential kit cheaper than a top end Nexon AMT. Again, makes you think.

City has lost a fair bit of this value proposition post the recent facelift, when prices went up in a big way and the equipment spread on the lower variants was rejigged. Sales have reduced since, as that value proposition is no longer sweet enough against admittedly superior competition. Honda needs to recreate this old magic with the Elevate.

Three things have to be right for Elevate to sustain against Creta, Seltos and Grand Vitara, with the base line being the Gen5 City facelift.
- Build quality needs to tighten up a bit. Car has to feel sturdy and not fragile.
- Suspensions need significant improvement
- Pricing needs to be extremely competitive

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th July 2023 at 08:52.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (42) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 09:37   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus1975 View Post
So many doomsday predictions in this forum for Honda India, even before all the information are revealed for the Elevate.
Lamenting on the missing features is fine, but, please, let us refrain from predicting how long Honda will survive in India, just because the vehicle they are launching now is not meeting our expectations.
I just love my 6.5 year old Honda City CVT, but one needs to see the writing on the wall and not be blinded by Honda's past 'laurels'...What information do you need about the Elevate, it's already been exhibited: dimensions, powertrain, transmission, seating, features have all been announced, what remains is the "all important" price reveal and media drive reviews. The engine is the same as I have in my 6.5 year old Honda City and it's been around for decades: agreed it's a gem in the City; but how it will behave in an SUV with competition having much powerful engine and diesel options and many transmissions it's been more of a "miss" than a "hit" for Honda: after dragging it's feet for soo long you launch a product that's to put it mildly: underwhelming. Mark my words there will be mouthwatering deals a few months down the line for the Elevate. For the Elevate to really succeed, Honda will need a miracle.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 28th July 2023 at 09:59.
Durango Dude is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 09:44   #774
BHPian

Why is everyone so disappointed even before Elevate reviews are out?

Top end Seltos is 25 Lakhs onroad.

Assuming Topend Elevate shall be 21. 5 Lakhs on road.

For the price, one is getting a Distinctive Fresh Design, Premium looking interior, 6 Airbags with ADAS, a possible 5 Star ANCAP, Wireless charging, Highest Ground Clearance in the segment, Largest boot in the segment.

Major Misses are Panaromic Sunroof, Ventilated and Powered Driver Seat.

But given that the Pros are outweighing the Cons by a big margin along with arguably the most reliable engine in the World combined with a Honda badge, I say that 21 odd Lakhs is money well spent and Honda have a winner on their hands. Advance Bookings are robust too.
Flash777 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 09:44   #775
BHPian

Quote:
One of my biggest grouse. This car is touted to command a premium over the City. But will lose the following -

4) rain sensing wipers
5 footwell lamps

Can't understand as to why such small things that adds to the flair is missing in Elevate. I don't see any of these would make significant cost increase.

It could be that Elevate will be priced very aggressivlely (will know about that soon) or that there is something else in pipeline (so that there wouldn't be any overlap) or that the numbers Honda has in it's mind for Elevate will be met by existing Honda loyalists.

Honda strategy is beyond anyone's understanding.
GuChDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 10:02   #776
Senior - BHPian

Let us all atleast put our hand on the steering wheel of a test drive car or atleast wait till the launch before being so pessimistic and dismissive of the product.

From the photos posted a few pages back, the interiors look good enough, the rear looks amazing in that red Elevate photo.

Honda makes cars that are mechanically reliable. Seeing the many N-lines and Hyundais stranded due to fuel pump failures, I feel more confident putting my money on a Honda car with a reliable naturally aspirated engine. The reliability or the maintenance costs of turbo petrol engines over a decade needs to be seen.

Toyota Fortuner is another overpriced and under equipped car but unlike a Meridian or similar car owner, a Fortuner owner has rarely shared a post full of issues (other than DEF/DPF related).

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 28th July 2023 at 10:04.
PaddleShifter is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 12:27   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
For the price, one is getting a Distinctive Fresh Design, Premium looking interior, 6 Airbags with ADAS, a possible 5 Star ANCAP, Wireless charging, Highest Ground Clearance in the segment, Largest boot in the segment.
But given that the Pros are outweighing the Cons by a big margin along with arguably the most reliable engine in the World combined with a Honda badge, I say that 21 odd Lakhs is money well spent and Honda have a winner on their hands. Advance Bookings are robust too.
Let me chime in as I am in-between Seltos and Elevate, with a tilt on the Seltos side [ since I already have a City, BRV and Glanza ( all CVT's) and would prefer a change ]
The IVT Seltos HTX ( only possible variant for IVT) doesn't have ADAS, Wireless charging, Ventilated seats, Powered seats, UV cut glass, smaller display ( or the AVN) compared to the top end and still will cost 20 Lakhs OTR Mumbai.
If the Elevate ZX is less than 20 Lakhs OTR Mumbai, it would be a sensible decision for someone looking to buy a NA Auto Mini SUV.
riteshritesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 13:51   #778
BHPian

Quote:

4) rain sensing wipers
5 footwell lamps

The manufacturers are making the most of this golden period for them. There is frenzied buying in the automobile market and buyers are tossing aside their expectations and fairness while trying to just buy what they can get their hands on.
Honda has always been conceited in their pricing in India. The current market being a seller's market has made them go a notch higher.

I totally agree with you that a lot of these manufacturers are pricing atrociously their products and continuously deleting or omitting features that should come as standard. I don't think anywhere else in the world do you see such a pathetic move in this segment. Until the balance returns in favor of the buyers, these sellers will continue to make hay while the sun shines.
Old 28th July 2023, 14:02   #779
BHPian

Lack of a third headrest for the rear occupants sticks out like a sore thumb. They should have deleted the useless rear armrest (which slopes downwards) and provided a proper adjustable headrest for the third rear occupants instead. Lack of a diesel and turbo petrol is an another sore point.
Old 28th July 2023, 14:24   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
I'll add my only grouse - missing the 3 point seat belt for the third passenger in the rear bench!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
Lack of a third headrest for the rear occupants sticks out like a sore thumb. They should have deleted the useless rear armrest (which slopes downwards) and provided a proper adjustable headrest for the third rear occupants instead. Lack of a diesel and turbo petrol is an another sore point.
I agree this is another huge sore point.

Quote:
Why is everyone so disappointed even before Elevate reviews are out?

Not sure the top end seltos (GTX+, since XLine is more like cosmetic variant), is 25 L OTR. For reference, Pune OTR price for GTX+ Petrol is 23.43L. HTX IVT is priced at 19.69L.

I don't think it would be a smart move by Honda to price the Top end ZX CVT Elevate at 21.5L, about 2 lakh more than the HTX IVT, since Elevate too misses out on a lot of goodies which the Seltos IVT gets.

Quote:

As per your assumption 2L (21.5L OTR) premium over the HTX IVT Seltos, Elevate would add a definitively fresh design, 6 airbags with ADAS, highest ground clearance and largest boot (though not by huge margin 458 vs 433 of Seltos). But IMO the interior does not feel as premium as the Seltos's (even the IVT HTX), and I would wait for the 5 star NCAP verdict as of now. Elevate does miss out on few useful bits from Seltos HTX IVT like pano sunroof, Dynamic parking guidelines, one touch up down windows, illuminated window buttons, front parking sensors, a crisper and more equipped 10.25 inch touchscreen, MID with navigation directions and the likes.

As of now, the exterior design is the only plus for me, as I like the chiseled bonnet of Elevate a lot. But others have been a major letdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Seeing the many N-lines and Hyundais stranded due to fuel pump failures, I feel more confident putting my money on a Honda car with a reliable naturally aspirated engine. The reliability or the maintenance costs of turbo petrol engines over a decade needs to be seen.
I guess we are exaggerating the number of fuel pump failures for Hyundai-Kia cars here. Situation is nowhere as bad as the VW-SKoda cars 2.0. I have just seen 2 or 3 posts on TBhp, whereas the VW-Skoda 2.0 cars had like 1-2 per week. Myself own a Sonet Turbo P, and never faced any mechanical or other fault/niggle till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Toyota Fortuner is another overpriced and under equipped car but unlike a Meridian or similar car owner, a Fortuner owner has rarely shared a post full of issues (other than DEF/DPF related).
Again not Apples to Apples comparison here. Fortuner is decently well equipped, has a very potent engine (infact better engine) than Jeep and has a significantly better road presence the Jeep Meridian. It also is a much better seven seater with a better boot than Meridian. The Aftersales quality/service center reach and reliability of Toyota is miles ahead than Jeep (Which is more like VW/Skoda).

This isn't a like for like comparison with Seltos and Elevate, with Kia also boasting a good aftersales service and reputation, similar road presence, similar interior size, but significantly better interiors and equipment. Not just that, the engines (turbo D and Turbo P) are also significantly better than Elevate (Just like Fortuner vs Meridian).

Last edited by 07CR : 28th July 2023 at 14:37.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks