Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2023, 08:24   #736
BHPian

Re: Honda Elevate Preview

I think the highest variant CVT would be able to get some customers from the Seltos. I was in two minds about whether to buy an additional car when the Seltos was unveiled. However, no CVT or TC gearbox in the highest variant made me decide not to book the Seltos. I'm awaiting the price of the Elevate. For me, a car should be able to handle whatever the normal roads throw at it, and reliably and safely take all passengers between points A and B.

If I get a variant with ADAS and a CVT gearbox, I can forget looks or optional features like a sunroof or HUD. I think there might be a few people who think like me and prefer the Elevate over the Seltos.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 08:31   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
I see customers getting segmented on brands even on age now. Honda India's customer base has steadily climbed age group given its reliable but not so exciting vehicles and is mostly in the 40+ age group, I feel, looking at the crowd even coming to the service centre. The younger customers are getting more attracted at the Korean and Czech/German brands. Maruti with its wide variety of vehicles has a wide spectrum of age group distribution.
Absolutely spot on!

And don't forget India still is a Patriarchal society. All those older age groups cajole their children into buying a Honda over Hyundai (or a Jap over Korean in general). The Brand image of Honda is way higher in 40+ age group than any other brand until you reach Mercedes.

Few years back I was into the market for sedan. I booked Verna (previous gen, the best looking Verna in my Opinion), and my parents and people around me were Meh (not excited). The deal somehow didn't go through and the dealership refunded my booking amount (2.5 Lakh, for the colour of my choice).
Just the next year, I bought City 5 gen (mainly due to the best deal being offered on my exchange car, and then I couldn't find anything in the car itself to reject it). When I broke the news to my relatives - all were excited and even pushed me to buy the CVT variant, saying you will be keeping it for 10 years or so, and by that time, world would have moved to electric(which are automatic by default).

P.S. I sold it within 2 years (no issues with the car, we loved it! esp my better half. we were moving out of India).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 08:38   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I think the highest variant CVT would be able to get some customers from the Seltos. I was in two minds about whether to buy an additional car when the Seltos was unveiled. However, no CVT or TC gearbox in the highest variant made me decide not to book the Seltos. I'm awaiting the price of the Elevate. For me, a car should be able to handle whatever the normal roads throw at it, and reliably and safely take all passengers between points A and B.

If I get a variant with ADAS and a CVT gearbox, I can forget looks or optional features like a sunroof or HUD. I think there might be a few people who think like me and prefer the Elevate over the Seltos.
I couldn't agree with you more, and this is where Hyundai comes in, Hyundai offers the Petrol CVT combo in the top trims in both the Verna and current-gen Creta as well, so the same is likely to be carried forward to the Creta facelift which is due to launch by February 2024. So in the current scenario, with the Creta launch a few months away, the top-spec Elevate with CVT if priced right, can be a good option for many who do not need a turbo-petrol or diesel car.
bijims is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 08:42   #739
BHPian

Quote:

+1 to say that I have similar views for my purchase decision, while I can't think about Seltos customers would come for Elevate top end.

If Ride and handling in Elevate sets benchmark with decent verified FE, I would really not care for the looks and misses. All this if it is priced sensibly.

Last edited by GuChDa : 27th July 2023 at 08:43.
GuChDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 09:00   #740
Senior - BHPian

The interior, especially the instrument cluster, seems dated. I would expect more frills, at least at the dashboard level. The USP of this car will be the aging i-VTEC engine and the back seat space – two departments in which Honda excels.

If I were in the market, I would probably pick the Brezza over this, as it will be equally reliable, though not as fun to drive, and it has better interiors. Its top-end variant will probably be 2-3 lakhs cheaper than Honda's top model.

I read somewhere that the car weighs around 1600 kgs, so I am assuming the sheet metal will have a heavy build and will probably pass the finger NCAP test, which Indians usually do while judging the quality. If this is priced at around 20 lakhs on-road for the top-end variant, I would expect a Hybrid, which is clearly not being offered.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th July 2023 at 09:01.
Old 27th July 2023, 09:57   #741

There is no doubt about the quality levels of Honda. However over the years Honda have always tried to "Premier Price" their products..be it cars or bikes/ superbikes and on many ocassions they have had to bite the dust.

Classic cases being the first Gen Honda Jazz which was so over priced that it didnt sell. I distinctly remember the Chairman of Honda Cars then justifying in an interview that the cost of production of a hatchback is more than that of a sedan. I Wonder who was he fooling . Eventually they had to drop the Jazz's prices by about 4 Lakhs. One can only imagine how livid the intial customers must have been.

They went through the same route as far as pricing of the HONDA CBR 1000 RR in 2020/21. They priced it at about 37 Lakhs ex showroom and there were barely any takers.

Lets wait and watch if they are aiming for a hattrick this time.
Old 27th July 2023, 10:31   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

100% with you on this, I too was looking forward to a fully loaded IVT Seltos; alas, its not available.
Old 27th July 2023, 11:05   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't underestimate the power of the brand, guys. There are a lot of people who want a "Honda" in the 15 - 25 lakh range. Just like the City, the Elevate has the potential to end up as the cannot-go-wrong all-rounder choice for ~20 lakhs.

That being said, sales of the City sedan will see a noticeable fall in the coming quarters. Sedans are anyway getting clobbered by crossovers, and a Honda SUV will be irresistible for City buyers. On the other hand, Honda better not try to "protect" the City by putting an unreasonable premium on the Elevate. If you don't cannibalize your own product, someone else will gladly do it for you.

A bit tough for Honda as the City is already priced on the expensive side. However, it cannot overprice the Elevate as the competition is brutally fierce among crossovers.
Hi GTO - I may be too optimistic, but what if Kia release Global NCAP rating of new Seltos with 4 Star rating for both Adult & Child and stable structure just before Elevate price reveal.
GoBabyGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 11:18   #744
BHPian

Elevate is going to be cheaper than Seltos, Grand Vitara and Creta. If Honda introduces a S CVT & SV CVT Variant; then it will sell like hotcakes. Actually, Kia has done a mistake by not introducing CVT in mid variant which has pushed the 1.5 NA CVT Seltos Cost to around 18.5-19 lakhs onroad which is too much for a NA CVT engine. I expect Honda not to commit this mistake.
Old 27th July 2023, 11:23   #745
Senior - BHPian

The 1.5 NA engine is a gem, even today good enough to provide an excellent experience especially compared to the competition of 1.5NA engines.

Honda has a premium reputation with people still willing to pay extra for the band in that segment. I think this would be a successful product for Honda however I wonder that it may end up cannibalising the Honda City quite severely given the current craze for SUVs.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 11:51   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hi GTO - I may be too optimistic, but what if Kia release Global NCAP rating of new Seltos with 4 Star rating for both Adult & Child and stable structure just before Elevate price reveal.
Well if they had actually put in efforts in that direction, would have already sent it voluntarily and released the results ahead of launch. Remember they(Koreans) are marketing champs and would have marketed the daylights out of competition with such a result.

They did try it with Carens which fall flat on its face. During presentation they say big things as usual about safety. IIRC they said Seltos/Creta platform can take weight of 2 african elephants, rest is history

Honda Elevate Preview-img_1649.jpeg

Having said that, if they actually manage 4* atleast with stable bodyshell, I would probably be the first to pick one up as everything else in their cars is awesome

Last edited by SoumenD : 27th July 2023 at 12:03.
SoumenD is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 11:59   #747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
The 1.5 NA engine is a gem, even today good enough to provide an excellent experience especially compared to the competition of 1.5NA engines.

Drive on,
Shibu
Going by City and Verna, the gap between the NA-CVT powertrains is minuscule. Especially in urban conditions. Nearly the same performance and fuel efficiency, while the Hyundai engine is actually the more refined of the two. For automatic buyers, there really is nothing between the two.

Things may be different with the manual, when you are gunning it and redlining in each gear. There, the iVTEC wins by a country mile. But frankly, who drives like that and for how much % of the overall time?

Honda may have made changes to the iVTEC-CVT tuning to improve performance, the relatively low ARAI fuel efficiency figures do seem to indicate that. The difference seems to be too much to be attributed just to the wider tire size and different body style.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 12:27   #748
BHPian

Quote:

The requirements vary from person to person. I am looking for a non-sunroof car which has CVT. I want to use that car for city purpose which can replace my secondary car - i20. Now there is no such car/mid level SUV which has CVT and does not have a sunroof. I hope ELEVATE is able to provide us with a S CVT or a SV CVT variant !
Paritoshkalra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 13:20   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paritoshkalra View Post
I am looking for a non-sunroof car which has CVT. I want to use that car for city purpose which can replace my secondary car - i20. Now there is no such car/mid level SUV which has CVT and does not have a sunroof.
I have a similar requirement as yours - a second car for city use. There are options in Magnite / Kiger which don't have sunroof and come with CVT.
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 13:38   #750
BHPian

I honestly don't understand why Honda is getting this much criticism before they've not even dispatched a single car to the dealership, patience is needed by some of us to for our TeamBhp's review of the car next week.

I sincerely hope the top model comes around 16 Lakhs (ex showroom) (Delhi) for me, it's a bang on price tag, just a tad bit below city.

Being a City fanboy, i've loved the NA engine with CVT combo, never have i felt that it lacks power, and the reliability is clearly beyond what it's counterparts offer along with 4 star safety and ease of driving dynamics.
The trend nowadays, in my honest opinion, shifting too much towards only features over safety/reliability/driving dynamics and the absolute thrill of reaching over 7K RPMs while in S mode. The paddle shift really gives me a thrill at times. Love the Honda City, and cannot wait till Elevate comes out, might even lease it!

Last edited by Rohan1511 : 27th July 2023 at 13:40.
Rohan1511 is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks