Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2023, 22:42   #646
BHPian

Re: Honda Elevate Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Are u sure about this? My 2009 Honda jazz gave ratings for e10 petrol. Don’t know if things have changed now.
Yes. I have read it and quite certain. I think it's in Team BHP forum itself when someone mentioned as to why Honda E5 fuel based ratings are given when every fuel today is E10. Further, I happened to see it in Honda product literature as well. Sadly unable to reproduce it even while I am certain about this.

Regarding Jazz, I can't say as its 2009 model.
GuChDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 23:06   #647
BHPian

I am planning to sell my remapped (140 BHP) and well maintained 2013 Skoda Rapid 1.6 Diesel and buy the Honda Elevate. The main reason is that I now would like comfort and a smooth CVT drive rather than a manual diesel turbo rocket, as middle age is catching up. I know the City CVT is one of the quietest and smoothest engines, and Honda is known for comfort with the man first machine next philosophy!

I do have a Kushaq 1.0 Turbo anyway for the Turbo rush, though it cannot really still match the 1.6 TDI. I am just hoping the Elevate gives the same safety feeling and has a smoother ride than my Rapid, with much better comfort and higher seating position with best in class GC, to seal the decision. I have gone ahead and booked one in blue color and eagerly waiting for the drive reviews and then my actual drive before finalizing!
PeteKing75 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 00:41   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hi TribalRoar - Don't get me wrong, Elevate is a fantastic product in isolation, it is just when you compare it with others (Seltos-Creta), it may not appear as promising as them. I own Honda City VMT 2018 make and likely to keep it for 10 years or more and I reasonably know the good & bad part of Honda India (product quality wise).

I have said this before, my major concern about Elevate is very high ground clearance due to which its ride quality & comfort may not be good, only long test drive will tell how good or bad it is. As I have only seen its top end model pics (not seen it physically), Elevate look is 2016/2017 kind of product, not 2023 (realistically 2024) product. Lower variants may look more dated than the showcased top end model. Looking at the tax structure on SUV in India, I find it very tough for Honda to launch it at 9.99 lacs ex showroom for SV MT variant. I think Elevate SV will start with either 11.99 or 12.25 lacs ex showroom or if Honda remain very aggressive in their pricing, it may start with 10.99 lacs ex showroom for SV MT.

Let's wait for few more weeks for prices to come out and media drive to start to understand what Honda has done with Elevate.
I understand and appreciate your sharper nous regarding Honda products along with other BHPians which has been very informative for me. Regarding the ground clearance, I agree that your concerns are very valid technically and it would be interesting to see how the Elevate fares in this area in terms of ride quality and comfort. Though I will say as someone who resides in more underdeveloped areas of the country like the north-east I would appreciate it much more in a practical sense than you guys in mainland India with the better roads overall. It is commonplace for us to deal with 'riverbed' quality of roads half of the time. I have driven both the seltos and the creta and both have to be driven gingerly when it comes to our less developed roads. Seltos in particular seems to have a terrible approach angle.

Yes, the Elevate definitely looks dated even with the top model. I checked out the current City at the showroom when I booked the Elevate and the overall quality and ambience of the product was underwhelming even with the leather upholstery. The build of the car seemed even more lightweight than my current grand i10 2014. Perhaps it was just my subjective impression but I remember being very impressed when I drove a fiends Brio many years ago. Maybe Hondas build has deteriorated over time, you will know about this better than me. When it comes to the price, I still maintain 10.99 lakhs (par with seltos) will be a great deal and will put the Elevate in contention for the sustainable sale numbers. That kind of price along with the car's impressive fundamentals can make enough people forget or overlook the aesthetics which is the demographic Honda should be zeroing in on. My suspicion is that it will be 11.49 lakhs. I think we can discount anything below 10 lakhs, its impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Honda Elevate media drive reviews drops on 1st August .

Fuel efficiency figures for the Elevate have been revealed

MT: 15.31 kpl
CVT: 16.92 kpl

India is the first market to receive the all new Honda Elevate and deliveries will soon commence.

Attachment 2480462

Attachment 2480463

Attachment 2480465

Honda claims a strong structural built for the new Elevate.

Attachment 2480477

Link
The fuel efficiency figures are disappointing. Its yet another round Honda has lost to the Koreans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Honda Elevate prices will be announced in September.

Test drives will begin in mid August.

Attachment 2480480

Link
Seems like they are gauging the demand to set a price. From the way they have decided to forgo even trying to challenge the koreans on features and desirability, I dont think Honda can afford to even contemplate pricing the Elevate as a 'premium' product. Lets hope they dont shoot themselves in foot.
TribalRoar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 07:24   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Elevate, media drive begins:

Honda Elevate Preview-f12fvdcxwaetxq8.jpg

Honda Elevate Preview-f12fyiexoaactv.jpg

Honda Elevate Preview-f12fx6eweaav7tq.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 09:26   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10;5591517 [ATTACH=F12FX6eWEAAV7Tq.jpg
2480648[/ATTACH]
Idk why Honda has given the ‘S’ cog below the ‘D’ ; instead they could have given it either on the the left or right. This is so inconvenient. Everytime you shift, you’ll have to ensure that you shift in ‘D’ correctly and not ‘S’.

Cars from Hyundai / Kia & Mahindra have a better orientation. The S / M is either to the left or right of the D mode. With this the driver doesn’t even have to look anywhere; just slot all the way down and drive ! I faced a similar issue in Brezza AT yesterday. It had the ‘M’ mode placed below ‘D’. Little things like these make a world of a difference in terms of the overall convenience.
ashvek3141 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 09:38   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda's level 2 ADAS system called Honda Sensing.
I guess neither the city nor Elevate is equipped with Level 2 ADAS. For LEVEL 2, they need to have the blind spot monitoring, Rear cross traffic alert, rear radars etc. to be present if I am not wrong. Neither City nor Elevate mentions these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda Elevate, media drive begins:
Wasn't this supposed to be in mid August? Maybe Honda is shook up by Seltos pricing and is just now trying to be in limelight. The way Seltos has been priced, it's a tall order for Honda. Only way the Elevate now makes sense is to undercut the CVT variants of Seltos by good margin in terms of pricing.
07CR is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 09:56   #652
BANNED

Somehow, dashboard of Elevate is giving sense of superior quality when compared to the other cars from the segment.
wheelguy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 10:06   #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Wasn't this supposed to be in mid August?
Media test drive were planned for July 24th - 30th as per the variant wise features document leaked earlier. The only update I see now is that there will be soft unveil for customers who have pre booked the vehicle somewhere in the mid of August.

I believe they are going as planned so far with don't care attitude about the competition bookings number or pricing. I really do not understand what is holding them up to reveal the prices at least just after the media review.
Old 25th July 2023, 10:13   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Somehow, dashboard of Elevate is giving sense of superior quality when compared to the other cars from the segment.
True. That's what I felt. Simple and functional. But then this layout and materials is only reserved for the ZX trim if rumours are true.

Where Honda lost is Engine and transmission options and few features, followed by the poor FE.

Going by the details of transmission shared by Mr. Venkatesh earlier, it seems that MT has been heavily tuned for performance and driveability and therefore took the beating on FE @ 15.3 kmpl

CVT though doesn't seems to be different from what they were offering in the City since the introduction of Earth dreams CVT range. In this case FE was as expected at 16.9 kmpl but driveability (Performance and CVT driveability) is questionable with added weight and form factor. Neither does it excel in anything.

Overall Elevate has left me more confused today than ever before. A Hybrid option even if pricier would have avoided all this according to me.

Last edited by GuChDa : 25th July 2023 at 10:37.
GuChDa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 10:27   #655
BHPian

As someone who loved the CRV & the Civic, it's sad to see Honda continue to serve one lack luster offering after another. The Elevate is neither a driver's car with it's anemic power nor is it packed to the gills with features to take on the Koreans. It remains a mediocre offering which will not make any splash in the market. What a pity!
Bhodrolok is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 10:40   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
I guess neither the city nor Elevate is equipped with Level 2 ADAS. For LEVEL 2, they need to have the blind spot monitoring, Rear cross traffic alert, rear radars etc. to be present if I am not wrong. Neither City nor Elevate mentions these.
I was thinking the same. I don't think it can be considered a level 2 ADAS at all. BTW, Honda doesn't provide even front radar, let alone the rear ones. For me, the biggest utility of ADAS will be in fog conditions, especially dense fog of north Indian winters and I don't think Honda's camera based system will work in that. However, if priced at par with Seltos 1.5 NA with CVT, the advantage that Elevate may provide is that camera based ADAS(I personally consider it to work just for bragging rights) in lieu of missing some really utilitarian features. If Kia has strengthened Seltos' structure as mentioned in forum and performs good in crash ratings, it'll be even tougher for Elevate to pull customers. Let's see how Elevate fares in drive and handling reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
As someone who loved the CRV & the Civic, it's sad to see Honda continue to serve one lack luster offering after another. The Elevate is neither a driver's car with it's anemic power nor is it packed to the gills with features to take on the Koreans. It remains a mediocre offering which will not make any splash in the market. What a pity!
Absolutely true. The launch of Elevate left me disappointed and saddened as I was looking forward for this launch since January when the plan was unveiled. I was sincerely hoping they would launch HR-V(the asian one which I personally find stunning) with either the Hybrid or the RS variant (turbo). Unfortunately, they didn't bring either. Now there's neither the advantage of fuel efficiency nor of performance. I do want a reliable car but also need that kick out of the weekend drives. The disappointment is that Honda could've easily done either or even both as nothing new needed to be developed.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 25th July 2023 at 10:54. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
motographer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:01   #657

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalRoar View Post
My suspicion is that it will be 11.49 lakhs. I think we can discount anything below 10 lakhs, its impossible.

The fuel efficiency figures are disappointing. Its yet another round Honda has lost to the Koreans.

Seems like they are gauging the demand to set a price. From the way they have decided to forgo even trying to challenge the koreans on features and desirability, I dont think Honda can afford to even contemplate pricing the Elevate as a 'premium' product. Lets hope they dont shoot themselves in foot.
Autocar India is quoting that a starting price of around Rs 11 lakh is expected, with the top model being priced at around 19 lakh (ex-showroom). With this pricing, Honda is looking to market a lacklustre vehicle at a premium. They seem to be trying really hard to exit the Indian market.
MysticMind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:11   #658
BHPian

I may be in the minority, but I like this car a lot. Let me explain why. To caveat, I resonate with the operating philosophy of companies like Honda / VW (for different reasons):

1. I like the simple and elegant dashboard. It's functional, seems ergonomic and will get the job done. To put it midly, I am not a fan of the dashboard layout of Korean/Chinese cars.

2. Honda will ace space management like they do in most of their cars. This is more important to me than AI bots or talking screens or walking robots. I'm intelligent enough (atleast, I hope) to figure out how to open a sun-roof or switch on the AC or start the car. I can also open my eyes and look up to see if it is raining.

3. The exterior design is also very Honda-like. Not outlandish, but attractive all the same. Gets the job done. My fav design in this segment alongside the Kushaq.

4. I drive my car strictly within 100 kmph. I value my life more than five minutes of thrill, so the engine and gearbox combo works for people like me. I live in Mumbai/Bombay, I'll be lucky if I get to drive at 50 kmph.

Edit: May look to buy this as a car for my parents. I'm covered with the Civic (and hopefully upcoming Jimny).

Last edited by andafunda : 25th July 2023 at 11:14.
andafunda is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:17   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Elevate at the Haldighati narrow pass in Rajasthan. (Media drive)

Honda Elevate Preview-f123p_5xwaatvtc.jpg

Honda Elevate Preview-f123p_wcaagv3q.jpg

Honda Elevate Preview-f123qaaxwaeceva.jpg

Link

Link

Honda Elevate Preview-screenshot-20230725-112120.png

Honda Elevate Preview-screenshot-20230725-112253.png

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th July 2023 at 11:25.
volkman10 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 11:35   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
I may be in the minority, but ...
I don't think so. I am sure, there is a good population waiting for "Elevate" to hit the roads. Elevate may not be a runaway success, but, it would fairly be a successful one.
Back in 2016, I had to buy City CVT for want of other sensible options.
Few months down the line, started liking it for Honda's simplicity, functional and its no nonsense nature. More I drove, next 1 or 2 years, I decided "City stays with me at least 5 years or a lakh Kms on ODO".

Now, I am more than satisfied with my City for 7+ years, ran about 1.2L Kms [including 2 years of no running b/w 2020-2022] and the only options I can think of now are Elevate OR City Hybrid.
If Elevate planned for Hybrid in launch next month, I would have seriously considered. Hoping for full electric in a year or 2 when my current City gets due to change.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (21) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed