Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2023, 11:31   #616
BHPian

Re: Honda Elevate Preview

I am on the look out to replace my 2016 Duster Diesel AMT, not in a hurry though. I am happy with perfect size of Duster for both city and highways (my usage is 70% city and 30% highways).

“Upgrade” for me doesn’t necessarily mean a bigger or next category vehicle, I am looking for below in my next car:
• Decent safety kit
• Features that are necessary to make my drive enjoyable every time
• Modern looking and premium
• Would love a bit of exclusivity (don’t want to own what everyone else has)
• Petrol automatic
• Need good boot space for my outstation trips
• 4.2 to 4.3 meters length for comfortable city drives
• Good price point

Elevate seem to match this wish list (except need to wait for price), Elevate not beating Creta/Seltos is good for me to keep it exclusive (I don’t want to buy a dud either)
hummer is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 12:42   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Adding to what Behemoth has correctly mentioned, kerb weight of 1700-1800kg is ScorpioN and Fortuner territory. Large ladder frame vehicles. Rest assured, mass market cars like Elevate are all around the 1.1-1.2 ton mark. Ditto for the sedans as well, as they all have similar platforms, similar constructions and similar sized powertrains.
OT- Recently checked out my Ecosport's Kerb weight in the manual. It's a S TDCI variant. It weighs 1305 KG. Is that something incorrect, since it's a sub 4 meter car, and shouldn't be that high in terms of weight.
Old 24th July 2023, 13:02   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
OT- Recently checked out my Ecosport's Kerb weight in the manual. It's a S TDCI variant. It weighs 1305 KG. Is that something incorrect, since it's a sub 4 meter car, and shouldn't be that high in terms of weight.
Its a 1.5 diesel engine, so I am not surprised. The car may not add much in terms of weight beyond the C pillar (boot area), hence 4m cars may weigh nearly as much as 4.3m cars. From my own experience, the weight of my Polo TSI was 1109 kg. whereas the weight of the substantially longer Honda City (4th gen) was 1107 kg. My Creta (current gen) diesel weighs 1362 kg as per RC record.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 13:37   #619
BHPian

I chanced to visit a Honda showroom in Chennai(Anna Nagar) yesterday. The salesman there was very confident that the Elevate will be priced lesser than the City for all the models except ZX as they have planned to skip ADAS for all versions except ZX and airbag count might be just 2 instead of the 4 for the basic versions.
Old 24th July 2023, 13:56   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The weight mentioned is GVW or Gross vehicle weight which is including 5 passengers (65kg each) + 150 kg of luggage and a full tank of fuel. So the Kerb weight (weight of car without passengers, luggage and fuel should be around 1180kg , which is similar to the current gen Hond City.
The listed weight of Elevate is 1208 to 1258 kg as given in Honda Elevate specs at their website. Approx. 100 kgs more than Honda City
Old 24th July 2023, 14:04   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvm_1986 View Post
I chanced to visit a Honda showroom in Chennai(Anna Nagar) yesterday. The salesman there was very confident that the Elevate will be priced lesser than the City for all the models except ZX as they have planned to skip ADAS for all versions except ZX and airbag count might be just 2 instead of the 4 for the basic versions.
There's no chance of the Elevate price being less than the City. Even if it's priced on par with the City it'll fail: such is the spot on pricing of the facelifted Kia Seltos, which is actually too good to believe.
Durango Dude is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 14:21   #622
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The fundamental of making cars is quite similar to that of making a pizza. In pizza it is the base and in car it is a good platform + fun to drive engine along with a decent suspension and safety and the toping is the flashy interior, music system and displays. Very few cars can get the toping and base perfect, Toyota and Honda make a great base but fail on the topping part and Kia/Hyundai/Maruti does the topping perfect. And unfortunately as people buy pizza looking at the toping same goes to car which unfortunately Honda cant understand (a la HTC).
IC_Morningstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 14:29   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
There's no chance of the Elevate price being less than the City. Even if it's priced on par with the City it'll fail: such is the spot on pricing of the facelifted Kia Seltos, which is actually too good to believe.
Let’s wait for the price reveal and variant wise feature breakup. Reality is quite different then. 2 years back I was on the lookout of a new car. Eventually I bought city auto V variant which costed me less than Sonet automatic with similar feature sets (along with some nice discounts add ins from dealer side to seal the deal). This, when 5th gen city was just launched 4 months ago while Sonet was more than a year old.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 14:39   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Hi Durango Dude - About to write this and realized that you have already written it. With starting price of Rs. 10.90 lacs, Kia Seltos (1.5L Petrol engine) literally killed Elevate before its arrival. As of now I feel Elevate SV variant will not be more feature loaded than HTE of Seltos. Also Seltos is a successful name and Elevate has not yet started. In addition Honda's future in India is not as promising as Kia, therefore, general public will be more inclined towards Kia than Honda (above them is Creta to be honest) when it comes to buying a SUV. The only advantage Honda has is its fan following in India. But in all probability Elevate will eat maximum sale of Honda City, rather than any SUV.

Time will tell the fate of Elevate, but in my view it will just sell at the cost of City.
GoBabyGo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 15:13   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is correct. The Ecosport was heavily built, and was based on the Euro spec Fiesta. I owned one for over 7 years. The bonnet was heavy and so were the doors, which shut with a satisfying think. Unlike Hyundai/Kia, Ford did not compromise on materials used to build the the structural and load bearing parts. The same spec of vehicles sold in India were also built here and exported to many global markets including Mexico and even the USA.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 24th July 2023 at 15:15.
Old 24th July 2023, 15:36   #626
BHPian

Quote:
This is mentioned in the brochure and it is the actual kerb weight with 90% fuel. And I am not at all surprised with such a number. Ecosport is a heavily built car and one can feel it right away when they open the door of the car.
Old 24th July 2023, 15:54   #627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Let’s wait for the price reveal and variant wise feature breakup. Reality is quite different then. 2 years back I was on the lookout of a new car. Eventually I bought city auto V variant which costed me less than Sonet automatic with similar feature sets (along with some nice discounts add ins from dealer side to seal the deal). This, when 5th gen city was just launched 4 months ago while Sonet was more than a year old.
Truly said. I've myself have booked Elevate in their unofficial booking period. That being said if prices are at par with Seltos 2023 then I might be shifting towards the latter. I'm just waiting for the variant-wise price reveal to unveil for me to make this decision.
Old 24th July 2023, 16:23   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hi Durango Dude - About to write this and realized that you have already written it. With starting price of Rs. 10.90 lacs, Kia Seltos (1.5L Petrol engine) literally killed Elevate before its arrival. As of now I feel Elevate SV variant will not be more feature loaded than HTE of Seltos. Also Seltos is a successful name and Elevate has not yet started. In addition Honda's future in India is not as promising as Kia, therefore, general public will be more inclined towards Kia than Honda (above them is Creta to be honest) when it comes to buying a SUV. The only advantage Honda has is its fan following in India. But in all probability Elevate will eat maximum sale of Honda City, rather than any SUV.

Time will tell the fate of Elevate, but in my view it will just sell at the cost of City.
I have my mind set on the Elevate. After scouring the SUV landscape for 3-4 years I feel this car finally ticks the fundamental boxes the best. As a possible first time Honda buyer, the gloomy forecasts here do cast a shadow over my prospects. Made a booking when it opened. I am awaiting the drive reviews and the price reveal which will be the decisive factor.

I agree with you that the elevate is more likely to deplete city sales rather than usurp the seltos/creta duopoly. But my hope is that the Elevate will gather enough numbers from the overall periphery of the customer base and find decent success (At least I hope so). Not all of us want the latest and greatest with engines to go hell for leather.

I think there is a significant enough base of customers in the country who want to keep cars for above 5 years with the versatility to be an adequate companion in every situation under the sun. Like our fellow BHPian @hummer has elaborated, there are also those of us who don't want to drive the most popular and highest owned cars. Low profile, low maintenance and reliability can also be attractive. I think the Elevate is for those customers and should Honda capture that base it will help them stay afloat.

I do think if they price it on par with the recent Seltos the elevate has a decent shot. From the leaked specs it seems the base variant of the Elevate has been loaded with some solid practical features like Auto AC and 60:40 split rear seats which you get only on the 13 lakh plus (ex showroom) variants of the seltos. Add to that the fantastic ground clearance (as someone who lives in the hills its a USP), the claimed turning radius, the superior safety, engine, comfort and handling (by all accounts) plus the famed (and less crowded) customer service, the Elevate with the right price could be a more than a decent draw for many people. For someone who is looking for a solid practical car without the frills it would be a killer deal for around 11 lakh ex showroom.

Lets hope Honda has a pleasant surprise in store for us with the pricing in the coming weeks.
TribalRoar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 16:58   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalRoar View Post
I have my mind set on the Elevate. After scouring the SUV landscape for 3-4 years I feel this car finally ticks the fundamental boxes the best. As a possible first time Honda buyer, the gloomy forecasts here do cast a shadow over my prospects. Made a booking when it opened. I am awaiting the drive reviews and the price reveal which will be the decisive factor.

I agree with you that the elevate is more likely to deplete city sales rather than usurp the seltos/creta duopoly. But my hope is that the Elevate will gather enough numbers from the overall periphery of the customer base and find decent success (At least I hope so). Not all of us want the latest and greatest with engines to go hell for leather.

I think there is a significant enough base of customers in the country who want to keep cars for above 5 years with the versatility to be an adequate companion in every situation under the sun. Like our fellow BHPian @hummer has elaborated, there are also those of us who don't want to drive the most popular and highest owned cars. Low profile, low maintenance and reliability can also be attractive. I think the Elevate is for those customers and should Honda capture that base it will help them stay afloat.

I do think if they price it on par with the recent Seltos the elevate has a decent shot. From the leaked specs it seems the base variant of the Elevate has been loaded with some solid practical features like Auto AC and 60:40 split rear seats which you get only on the 13 lakh plus (ex showroom) variants of the seltos. Add to that the fantastic ground clearance (as someone who lives in the hills its a USP), the claimed turning radius, the superior safety, engine, comfort and handling (by all accounts) plus the famed (and less crowded) customer service, the Elevate with the right price could be a more than a decent draw for many people. For someone who is looking for a solid practical car without the frills it would be a killer deal for around 11 lakh ex showroom.

Lets hope Honda has a pleasant surprise in store for us with the pricing in the coming weeks.
Hi TribalRoar - Don't get me wrong, Elevate is a fantastic product in isolation, it is just when you compare it with others (Seltos-Creta), it may not appear as promising as them. I own Honda City VMT 2018 make and likely to keep it for 10 years or more and I reasonably know the good & bad part of Honda India (product quality wise).

I have said this before, my major concern about Elevate is very high ground clearance due to which its ride quality & comfort may not be good, only long test drive will tell how good or bad it is. As I have only seen its top end model pics (not seen it physically), Elevate look is 2016/2017 kind of product, not 2023 (realistically 2024) product. Lower variants may look more dated than the showcased top end model. Looking at the tax structure on SUV in India, I find it very tough for Honda to launch it at 9.99 lacs ex showroom for SV MT variant. I think Elevate SV will start with either 11.99 or 12.25 lacs ex showroom or if Honda remain very aggressive in their pricing, it may start with 10.99 lacs ex showroom for SV MT.

Let's wait for few more weeks for prices to come out and media drive to start to understand what Honda has done with Elevate.

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 24th July 2023 at 17:01.
GoBabyGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 17:37   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Let's wait for few more weeks for prices to come out and media drive to start to understand what Honda has done with Elevate.
Absolutely. Let us stop speculating and wait patiently for the prices to be revealed. Thank you!
venus1975 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks