Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2023, 08:36   #601
BANNED

Re: Honda Elevate Preview

Honda has homologated Elevate in India in both manual and CVT transmission options. Both gearbox options are with the sole 1,498cc 4-cylinder petrol engine that does duties in the City as well. Said vehicle is OBD II compliant too, as mentioned in the type approval documents. Let’s take a look at expected trim levels.

There are basically four trim levels that Honda is offering with Elevate. These trim levels are V, SV, VX and ZX. Honda is offering its 1.5L NA petrol engine with a 6-speed manual transmission with all four of these trim levels. But when it comes to CVT gearbox, SV trim is left out, for some reason.

The 1.5L NA 4-cylinder petrol engine makes 89 kW (120 bhp) of power at 6,000 RPM. Torque is 145 Nm at 4,300 RPM. Manual transmission has 6 cogs, while CVT is a, well, CVT. It complies with BS6 P2 emission standard and even comes equipped with OBD II diagnostics tools as well. Honda Elevate measures 4,312 mm in length, 1,790 mm in width, 1,650 mm in height and has a 2,650 mm wheelbase. For all the variants across the trim levels, Honda is maintaining a gross vehicle weight of 1,700 kg with CVT variants and 1,650 kg with manual transmission variants.

Source: https://www.rushlane.com/honda-eleva...-12474595.html
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Elevate Preview-hondaelevatesuvhomologatedvariantsspecs1.jpg  

Honda Elevate Preview-hondaelevatesuvhomologatedvariantsspecs2.jpg  

aseem23 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 20:58   #602
BHPian

Why is V variant given as base model? Isn't SV the base variant in all Honda cars? Or is it because this is the starting variant common to both manual and CVT?
beez is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 08:10   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a mistake. There are two sheets, one for CVT variants and another for manual ones. The V variant is correctly specified as the base variant in the Automatic series’s sheet. However, some clerk at Honda has probably made a copy/paste error in the manual variants’ sheet and specified V instead of SV as the base variant. Hopefully they catch and correct this early or else it could cause issues later for them.
84.monsoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 08:19   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beez View Post
Why is V variant given as base model? Isn't SV the base variant in all Honda cars? Or is it because this is the starting variant common to both manual and CVT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Looks like a mistake. There are two sheets, one for CVT variants and another for manual ones.
I think it is not a mistake. As 84.monsoon mentioned, there are two sheets, one for manual and other for CVT variants.

Manual variants has base SV model whereas,it seems, they are not offering CVT in SV variant. So, it is not there in the CVT sheet.
mukeshgoel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 11:58   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I think it is not a mistake. As 84.monsoon mentioned, there are two sheets, one for manual and other for CVT variants.

Manual variants has base SV model whereas,it seems, they are not offering CVT in SV variant. So, it is not there in the CVT sheet.
Sorry, I think you did not understand the point raised by me and 84.monsoon. If you look at the sheet for manual variants, base model is mentioned as V, and SV is listed as one of the variants below that.

My doubt was whether they had to designate the variant which is common between both CVT and manual as the base variant - like a regulatory/legal requirement. If not, it is an error as 84.monsoon pointed out.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Elevate Preview-screenshot_2023072311402093_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg  

beez is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 13:55   #606
BHPian

With the Kia Seltos 2023 pricing, Honda really has to provide competitive pricing. The petrol NA engine with manual transmission HTX is priced at 15.19 lacs ex-showroom which is equivalent to Elevate ZX MT (except camera based ADAS), I think it's offering a better fit & finish along with panoramic sunroof. They have to undercut pricing by at least a lac for it to create super sales.
Old 23rd July 2023, 14:56   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitesh_Drive View Post
With the Kia Seltos 2023 pricing, Honda really has to provide competitive pricing. The petrol NA engine with manual transmission HTX is priced at 15.19 lacs ex-showroom which is equivalent to Elevate ZX MT (except camera based ADAS), I think it's offering a better fit & finish along with panoramic sunroof. They have to undercut pricing by at least a lac for it to create super sales.
Wishful thinking! But going by past pricing strategies of Honda, I doubt they will undercut the rivals but I really wish they surprise us with the Elevate.
shibulijack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 18:07   #608
BHPian

While Honda will do well to keep the pricing aspirational, the Elevate scores some very practical points over the Seltos CVT:

• Ground clearance
  • Turning radius
  • Boot space
  • Wireless Android Auto/Apple Car Play
  • Lane watch camera
  • Brilliantly tuned ADAS (amongst current cars)
  • Perceived passive safety
pannags is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 21:37   #609
BHPian

The astonishing weight of Elevate's 1700kg is difficult to believe. While the Honda City, weighing around 1100-1150kg, manages a decent 0-100 acceleration of 10-11 Sec , the Elevate, with a similar engine specification as the City but weighing 1700k may face a challenge in outperforming competitors like the Kia Seltos 1.5 Turbo petrol, which achieves 0-100 in 9 seconds. Considering the Elevate's weight, it is expected to be slower than the Honda City, especially since the City has the advantage of a more aerodynamic design. If the Elevate cannot come close to the performance of the City, it might struggle to win the hearts of even hard core Honda believers.
mukeshannamalai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 21:56   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshannamalai View Post
The astonishing weight of Elevate's 1700kg is difficult to believe. While the Honda City, weighing around 1100-1150kg, manages a decent 0-100 acceleration of 10-11 Sec , the Elevate, with a similar engine specification as the City but weighing 1700k may face a challenge in outperforming competitors like the Kia Seltos 1.5 Turbo petrol, which achieves 0-100 in 9 seconds. Considering the Elevate's weight, it is expected to be slower than the Honda City, especially since the City has the advantage of a more aerodynamic design. If the Elevate cannot come close to the performance of the City, it might struggle to win the hearts of even hard core Honda believers.
The weight mentioned is GVW or Gross vehicle weight which is including 5 passengers (65kg each) + 150 kg of luggage and a full tank of fuel. So the Kerb weight (weight of car without passengers, luggage and fuel should be around 1180kg , which is similar to the current gen Hond City.
Behemoth is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 22:23   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The astonishing weight of Elevate's 1700kg is difficult to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The weight mentioned is GVW or Gross vehicle weight which is including 5 passengers (65kg each) + 150 kg of luggage and a full tank of fuel. So the Kerb weight (weight of car without passengers, luggage and fuel should be around 1180kg , which is similar to the current gen Hond City.
Adding to what Behemoth has correctly mentioned, kerb weight of 1700-1800kg is ScorpioN and Fortuner territory. Large ladder frame vehicles. Rest assured, mass market cars like Elevate are all around the 1.1-1.2 ton mark. Ditto for the sedans as well, as they all have similar platforms, similar constructions and similar sized powertrains.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 22:40   #612
BHPian

Latest update from Honda regarding media test-drives - https://twitter.com/HondaCarIndia/st...76104758886401

Btw, what do they mean by "7 days of unforgettable driving experience"? Have they scheduled all the media drives spread over a period of 7 days or are the cars given for a longer period to each media house to review it? I am not fully aware of how media drives work and hence this question.

Honda Elevate Preview-honda-elevate-media-drive.png
skarthiksr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 22:53   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Thank you for the clear explanation. This implies that Elevate will have a performance level similar to City's, taking into account its boxy design, which might result in a slight decrease in performance. If it can achieve a 0-100 speed in 11-12 seconds, it can be considered decent, but it cannot be compared to the 2023 Kia Seltos 1.5 turbo petrol, which has a much faster acceleration of less than 9 seconds., Honda elevate is not going to win competitions but i like its matured design, big boot and looking forward for the first review.
mukeshannamalai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 02:07   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the clear explanation. This implies that Elevate will have a performance level similar to City's, taking into account its boxy design, which might result in a slight decrease in performance. If it can achieve a 0-100 speed in 11-12 seconds, it can be considered decent, but it cannot be compared to the 2023 Kia Seltos 1.5 turbo petrol, which has a much faster acceleration of less than 9 seconds., Honda elevate is not going to win competitions but i like its matured design, big boot and looking forward for the first review.
Definitely, the 1.5 turbo on Kia is much more powerful and the Elevate doesn't compete with it either, it competes with the 1.5 NA on the Seltos.

While Elevate won't match the Seltos on performance, the point to note is also that the 1.5 turbo variant of Seltos will also be more expensive by a fair margin. Yes, it will not meet the needs of people willing to pay more for better performance.

However, where the Elevate hits home is being a practical, no nonsense SUV, probably at a much accessible price point, a price point where all competitors fall short on one or the other parameters and Elevate looks like a jack of all trades!

And to be honest, A lot of us, including me, are looking forward to something like the Elevate as cars have gotten obscenely expensive in past few years. With our roads more and more congested, I think Elevate's performance will be more than enough + Paying 2-3 lacs more just for a little more performance with no change in the rest of the car ain't something that I relate to either.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th July 2023 at 08:47. Reason: Typos and spacing.
Candy$Cars is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 07:33   #615
Senior - BHPian

Any which way you look at it, Honda Elevate, will have its work cut out in convincing customers.

Moreover, Honda has to price it sensibly vis a vis the Kia Seltos which ticks almost all boxes and more with powertrain and variant options. There is a very narrow price band in this crowded segment to play with. If it prices Elevate at par or more than the Seltos it's sure to flop, it should price it at par with Seltos/Creta iVT variants or below it for it to succeed.

With the same powertrain as the City I don't see it perform/mileage above the City with its flat nose as compared to the aerodynamic City. If Elevate fails, I see Honda quitting India Literally the mid size SUV segment is "owned" by Hyundai/Kia and I don't see this Elevate in its present guise upsetting that balance. I only wish the Elevate came also in a turbo guise. That September launch date is also very far off and most would prefer booking the Kia Seltos as it ticks all the boxes and more.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th July 2023 at 08:43. Reason: Typos and spacing.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks