Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2023, 12:08   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Elevate Preview

Honda Cars India claims the Elevate has a robust underpinning and will stand strong against external forces.

Honda Elevate Preview-20230607_115951.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:12   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
At most it could take away some volumes from the VW/Skoda siblings apart from the loyal Honda customer base.
Not sure how many VAG buyers would move to a car with 220 mm of GC. Going by what we have seen in Honda City it is good for driving within 100 kmph and after that the suspension goes for a toss.

I think a car mechanically connected to the driver is of utmost importance to a VAG buyer than a connected car tech and for those this won't make a cut, the 1.5 NA though reliable is boring to drive.

Hybrid was the only USP Honda could have used to get those GV, Hyryder Hybrid customers-Honda's hybrid tech is much better than what Toyota has.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:15   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda seems to have misread the market and also underestimated the need for fuel efficient engines. The current Honda City Automatic gives a mileage of 7-8 in city drving and 12-13 on highways. It is quite a gas guzzler and is expensive to run for anyone who is covering more than 30 kms a day. In the Elevate the fuel efficiency may drop even further due to higher weight and also a less aerodynamic profile and may even be 10% lower than that. Even if Honda prices the Elevate aggressively, the buyer would still end up paying a lot in running costs.
Another reason for the Koreans success in the current space was their diesel 1.5 engines mated to very good At boxes. These also have great mileage of 17-20 in mixed use. While the mix of diesel engined suvs may have reduced to around 50% for these brands, they are still a major reason for their success.

With Honda not offering any fuel efficient options, this car would not take off in volumes and may just sell 2.5-3k per month. Honda was late to the party and also showed up with a sword for a gunfight!

From my past experience as a Honda Civic 1.8 AT owner, the car was dynamically very good (but with low GC) but it gave us a mileage of 6-7 kmpl in mixed use. We kept it for exactly 2 years and replaced it with a Skoda Laura Diesel - which we kept for 9.5 years and it gave us a mileage of 19-20 in mixed use. Customers can't really hang on to low mileage cars for very long and with fuel costs going up over the next few years, it will become even more difficult!

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th June 2023 at 12:20.
Behemoth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:18   #214
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

All the people talking about Hybrids -

1. Look at what percentage of Grand Vitara/HyRyder sales are Hybrid. You don't think Honda will have an idea of how many get sold?

2. Look at the price delta between the City and the City e:NEV. That sort of a difference in price for the Elevate Hybrid wouldn't have made sense since it would not have been comparable to the GV/Hy Hybrids, so it would be dead on arrival.

It is squarely aimed at the Family audience, the more matured car buyer. People seem to forget that enthusiasts make up for a microscopic fraction of the car-buying crowd. Most people want a comfortable, reliable, well-built, feature-laden car which is (I am hoping) safe - and this has all of them.

Indians love SUVs - great ground clearance (this is class-leading), strong road presence (that massive grille) and butch appearance. Indians also love chrome so you see generous sprinkling of it everywhere. And as much as people crib about a panoramic sunroof, anywhere apart from the hills or Bengaluru, that will be a bane rather than a boon.

Honda has done its research well, and has given the majority of people exactly what they want. Just that you and I are not those people.
HartBandit is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 12:24   #215
BHPian

Very disappointed with Elevate. This car already stinks old. A little 5 year or so late in the market. Looks like a dated Creta. Ignis or magnite side profile and copy of seltos from the rear.

Expected more from HONDA.
Vidzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:40   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartBandit View Post
All the people talking about Hybrids -

1. Look at what percentage of Grand Vitara/HyRyder sales are Hybrid. You don't think Honda will have an idea of how many get sold?

2. Look at the price delta between the City and the City e:NEV. That sort of a difference in price for the Elevate Hybrid wouldn't have made sense since it would not have been comparable to the GV/Hy Hybrids, so it would be dead on arrival.

Indians love SUVs - great ground clearance (this is class-leading), strong road presence (that massive grille) and butch appearance. Indians also love chrome so you see generous sprinkling of it everywhere. And as much as people crib about a panoramic sunroof, anywhere apart from the hills or Bengaluru, that will be a bane rather than a boon.

Honda has done its research well, and has given the majority of people exactly what they want. Just that you and I are not those people.
You got it very wrong. Indians more than anything, after SUV body style want features and more features. As for Panoramic Sunroof, Indians in this segment put that feature on priority list right on top over anything. Just see the monthly sales figures of C-SUVs and see for yourself how the ‘single pane’ sunroof equipped SUVs lag behind their panoramic counterparts in sales. The great leader - Creta even had (or maybe still does) a variant with no music system but standard panoramic sunroof. Such is the allure of that long double pane glass. Useful or not, panoramic sunroof craze is a reality.
Now, the kind of ‘matured buyer’ you are talking about and allegedly in majority that you mentioned, I think such matured buyers couldn’t save the very matured Kicks or the whole very sensible C-segment Sedan segment.
People, especially the desis/ majority junta like me want bling bling and imposing SUVs with as many features possible with the large panoramic sunroof being the Center piece! More chrome please- it’s just like whipped cream on your favourite frappe!

My only vehicle is a Thar auto softop and all the less sensible people like me made Thar a 5,000 units monthly Suv (yes, a 3 door Impractical SUV sells more than the double of way more equipped and very sensible Honda city/ Kushaq / Taigun/ etc.

I feel one thing is for sure, this Honda Elevate will trail it’s segment counterparts in a big way! A very poor attempt by Honda and they talk about launching 5 SUVs in next 7 years! (Yes, 7 years! ) I wonder will they (along with Nissan/Citroen/Jeep) be even around by that timeframe ! Food for thought!
AMG1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 13:57   #217

I was eagerly waiting for the launch of Elevate and experienced it on their youtube live stream. Oh, boy! It was exciting.

I loved the exterior. Some of our friends here are not warmed up for the huge grill, but I like it!! It looks quite muscular. Somehow it resembles the GMC Yukon. I kinda loved those (real) SUVs on the web series 'Yellowstone.' Pretty impressive!

The interior disappointed me. The colour of the seats and the dashboard are turndowns. Also, the lack of ventilated seats is a huge minus point in this segment.

I am planning to change my 8y old Rapid. I was counting on this car, but now, I'm not sure! Anyway, I will see it in the flesh and take a test ride before the final decision.
proximo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 14:18   #218
BHPian

I like the looks of the car, especially the front. But it is indeed inexplicable why Hybrid is not part of the offering.

The car aside, I am also glad to see Honda's plans for India, which means they aren't packing their bags like Ford anytime soon!
Old 7th June 2023, 14:28   #219
Senior - BHPian

If it is a toss up between Elevate and the 1.0 TSi AT equipped Kushaq/ Taigun, at a similar price, people would go for them over the Elevate. Better power/ torque, better transmission ( torque convertor over CVT). Surely the ADAS models will be sold at prices north of 18-20 lac. Other than Honda reliability , you dont get much. Then again, how come the Elevate will not cannibalize the City? Or is that the general plan?
Old 7th June 2023, 14:44   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
If it is a toss up between Elevate and the 1.0 TSi AT equipped Kushaq/ Taigun, at a similar price, people would go for them over the Elevate. Better power/ torque, better transmission ( torque convertor over CVT). Surely the ADAS models will be sold at prices north of 18-20 lac. Other than Honda reliability , you dont get much. Then again, how come the Elevate will not cannibalize the City? Or is that the general plan?
Leaving the absolute base model in City, ADAS is available across the board unlike in the Verna. So that could be a difference. Also not everyone is gung ho about a 1 ltr turbo along with the general reliability issues of the European twins.
SedateGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 14:49   #221

I believe looks of a car does matter much atleast when purchasing and during initial ownership period. Later you may not worry much about the looks. Even if I buy Elevate now for its reliability and safety, at the back of my mind I will have it in me that I am not owning a good looking SUV in comparison to HRV or a Seltos. Just disappointed with the front grill shape, after waiting for more than a year to upgrade to an SUV. Saying again, front look of a car does matter, to me atleast.
Old 7th June 2023, 14:50   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Kushaq & Taigun continue to have niggles related to aircon, power windows etc. While the Elevate misses out on features that should have been offered in 2023, it ticks the most important reliability box.

Yes, I certainlt think the Elevate will eat into City sales. The point is, if Elevate doesn't, competition will. Perhaps why Honda never offered the 1.5 iVTEC on the WRV.
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 15:15   #223
BHPian

Elevate ticks most of the boxes right.

Pros-
- Class leading ground clearance.
- Very good road presence. Most Indians want this.
- Feature packed towards safety and drivability.
- Best in class leg space and boot space. This is one of the most important feature in a car.
- Decent cabin quality.
- Fantastic engine.

Cons -

- Looks. The frontal and side profile isn’t contemporary. But it is a subjective issue and a good product can sell. In the past we have bought a good product in hordes inspite of not so good look.
- Engine choice. The current choice is a stellar one but Honda had the option of coming in with hybrid option later. It is possible that Honda with come up with a hybrid and also add the missing features too. That would give more eyeballs to the brand.
- Missing features like ventilated seats, powered seats, better cabin materials. First two features have more value than gimmicky features like panoramic sunroof. Panoramic sunroof for Indian climate is one of the most overrated feature and least used ones. Ventilated / cooled and powered seats have much more Utility and usage. Hopefully these feature would be added later when Hybrid variants are launched.
- Front sensors and camera. This feature is a must have one considering tight spaces that we have to face everyday.

Most important factor which is yet to be revealed is the prices and the variants. This is where it can either become a champ or a looser. Hyundai and Kia have already got a massive lead over Honda in this category and right price would be required to make it a good value for money and an overall decent package.

Other unknowns are it’s drivability and driving manners. These would be known when the reviewers get their hands on Elevate. Overall, it appears to be a decent package.

Is it decent value for money and decent vehicle to drive and be in it? We would know very soon.
Highflyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 15:44   #224
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
You got it very wrong. Indians more than anything, after SUV body style want features and more features. As for Panoramic Sunroof, Indians in this segment put that feature on priority list right on top over anything. Just see the monthly sales figures of C-SUVs and see for yourself how the ‘single pane’ sunroof equipped SUVs lag behind their panoramic counterparts in sales. The great leader - Creta even had (or maybe still does) a variant with no music system but standard panoramic sunroof. Such is the allure of that long double pane glass. Useful or not, panoramic sunroof craze is a reality.
Now, the kind of ‘matured buyer’ you are talking about and allegedly in majority that you mentioned, I think such matured buyers couldn’t save the very matured Kicks or the whole very sensible C-segment Sedan segment.
People, especially the desis/ majority junta like me want bling bling and imposing SUVs with as many features possible with the large panoramic sunroof being the Center piece! More chrome please- it’s just like whipped cream on your favourite frappe!

My only vehicle is a Thar auto softop and all the less sensible people like me made Thar a 5,000 units monthly Suv (yes, a 3 door Impractical SUV sells more than the double of way more equipped and very sensible Honda city/ Kushaq / Taigun/ etc.

I feel one thing is for sure, this Honda Elevate will trail it’s segment counterparts in a big way! A very poor attempt by Honda and they talk about launching 5 SUVs in next 7 years! (Yes, 7 years! ) I wonder will they (along with Nissan/Citroen/Jeep) be even around by that timeframe ! Food for thought!
The Nexon, Punch and the Brezza don't have panoramic sunroofs and they are the bestselling C-SUVs/SC-SUVs. The Jeep Compass, MG Astor and MG Hector have a panoramic sunroof and yet I don't see them selling well. Point being - the panoramic sunroof is not as important for everyone as it is for some people and there are a LOT of other factors which influence a car-purchase. The Creta has become a brand-name. I don't think people are buying it just because it has a panoramic sunroof.

Also, the Kicks is a not matured product. It lacked appeal and had lot of issues, along with it being a Nissan - a brand that has very little appeal in India. That is not what I think of when I think of "matured". The C-Segment sedans are not dead - you wouldn't see carmakers launching new cars in this segment if it was. Indian roads are Indian roads - people want higher ground clearance, which is why SUVs are ruling the roost; it is more to do with infrastructure.

As to whether the Elevate will work or not - the pricing is the key to predict with any kind of surety. If they price it well, it will sell like hot cakes.
HartBandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 15:47   #225
Senior - BHPian

Dang that's an ugly car.

In the world of well proportioned C-Suvs/Urban SUVs like Brezza, Venue, Seltos, Kushaq and Taigun, this is a sore to the eye.

No diesel powerplant, no hybrid, no sunroof, bland design, no ventilated seats.

If past experiences are anything to go by, the Infotainment system will be below par too.

The only thing to wait and watch is the price of this thing.

Amongst the big things going for this Honda is the famed Honda reliability and the V-Tec.
But one of my friends that has the New Honda city is already complaining about the car started to get rusted.

Will wait and watch. I was on the look out for a used CRV, kept that on hold, thinking the new Elevate might be a choice, but this car is out for me.
cheers,
ac

Last edited by ac 427 : 7th June 2023 at 15:50.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks