Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2023, 08:02   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Tayron is the Tiguan replacement for India

VW Tayron 3-row global SUV in the works; India launch likely in 2025.

The Tayron will be a replacement for the 7-seat Tiguan AllSpace, but majorly differentiated from the 5-seat Tiguan.

VW Tayron is the Tiguan replacement for India-20230424051214_vw.jpg

Volkswagen is readying an all-new three-row SUV to sit alongside the Skoda Kodiaq globally. This new SUV is likely to be called the Tayron and will be underpinned by the MQB-A2 platform that it will share with the next-gen Kodiaq. Essentially, the Tayron is meant to be a spiritual successor to the seven-seat Tiguan AllSpace, but unlike the latter, this three-row SUV will be majorly differentiated from the five-seater Tiguan.

While sibling Kodiaq will see its new-gen model debut later this year, Tayron will enter production in Germany in 2024.

An India launch of the Tayron could be on the cards by early 2025 as it takes some time to assemble the parts and components for CKD kits sent out for exports.

Quote:
This is not the first time that VW India has relied on limited CBU or CKD models to keep the buzz around the brand alive while it focuses on new mass-market models. In the lead up to the India 2.0 products, Volkswagen had followed a similar strategy with the T-Roc and Tiguan AllSpace that were imported in limited numbers in 2020.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th April 2023 at 08:06.
volkman10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 10:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Tayron is the Tiguan replacement for India

Not pleased with this news personally. I was really hoping for them to continue keeping the very well rounded VW Tiguan in our market with the next-gen due later this year internationally.

So now we will have two 7-seater SUVs from VAG group instead of the one large Kodiaq SUV and one very fun to drive city friendly 5-seater Tiguan?
Unsure of what the strategy is here to have identical sized cars. Is the Tayron going to be cheaper? As size wise it seems same'ish, will they instead cheapen out on interior quality or build? seems a China specific localised product.

A quick search led me to this:

While it is mentioned we will get a 7-seater model in 2025 the car in the video is a 2023 5-seater one but perhaps the above gives us a good idea of roughly what to expect.

Last edited by Maky : 25th April 2023 at 10:12.
Maky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 16:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Not pleased with this news personally. I was really hoping for them to continue keeping the very well rounded VW Tiguan in our market with the next-gen due later this year internationally.

So now we will have two 7-seater SUVs from VAG group instead of the one large Kodiaq SUV and one very fun to drive city friendly 5-seater Tiguan?
I thought Tiguan 5-seater will continue. I didn't see any mention of Tiguan being removed from the Indian market in the post above. But it will be interesting to see whether they will launch the new gen Tiguan in India along with the world or will be delayed.
Old 25th April 2023, 17:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
I thought Tiguan 5-seater will continue. I didn't see any mention of Tiguan being removed from the Indian market in the post above. But it will be interesting to see whether they will launch the new gen Tiguan in India along with the world or will be delayed.
I may have misread then now that you mention it.

I read it as replacing the Tiguan product entirely, As a 7-seater model if it sits above the Tiguan 5-seater it still doesn't make whole sense to me as it would then compete directly with the Kodiaq. From what we have seen VAG had post-discontinuation of the Jetta and Passat decided to not compete with itself, with the exception of the recent 2.0 Products.
I hope you are right though and the next-gen Tiguan comes to our shores. An absolute world class product.
Old 25th April 2023, 21:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
A quick search led me to this:
This does not seem to the new global Tyron as it is only expected to enter production in 2024. This one is the current China-only Tayron - a built to cost model specifically designed to deliver the bling and curves the Chinese want, with the very little power they want, as in the hyper controlled society, they cannot imagine overspeeding over there by even 1 KPH over speed limits in their highways.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 12:33   #6
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
China-only Tayron - a built to cost model specifically designed to deliver the bling and curves the Chinese want, with the very little power they want
I know that power is subjective, both in terms of cars and in the real world, but these power specs do not seem little to me at all, especially for a car which measures 4.6 m(D1 segment length from an Indian perspective). Have a look-

VW Tayron is the Tiguan replacement for India-capture.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Tayron

https://www.car.info/en-se/volkswage...ation-24337336
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 15:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

They seriously need to change their naming system, this T everything is now giving Ekta Kapoor's K soaps an inferiority complex. The names all look similar and sound similar, which is not exactly ideal for the casual buyer and leads to unnecessary confusion. Exact same scenario over at sister company Skoda, where everything is K.

Tiguan and Taigun are literally anagrams, and I am always mixing them up.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 26th April 2023 at 15:03.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2023, 13:49   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
They seriously need to change their naming system, this T everything is now giving Ekta Kapoor's K soaps an inferiority complex. The names all look similar and sound similar, which is not exactly ideal for the casual buyer and leads to unnecessary confusion. Exact same scenario over at sister company Skoda, where everything is K.

Tiguan and Taigun are literally anagrams, and I am always mixing them up.
While I like the identical sounding names, its true that people mix it up and you end up correcting them. One of my relative called my Kodiaq as Kushaq and I had to correct him and even had to explain how its entirely a different vehicle. You almost end up with a tomayto tomahto situation with similar sounding names!
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 06:13   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Tayron seven-seat SUV confirmed to go global for second generation.

Quote:
VW has officially announced the nameplate will not be reserved for the People's Republic for much longer. It's coming to sit below the recently facelifted Touareg.
Quote:
it won't be the current model that has been around since late 2018 as the plan is to introduce the second generation to other markets.
Quote:
the global Tayron is going to be manufactured at home in Germany at the Wolfsburg plant.
Quote:
it's going to be bigger to reflect the size increase of the upcoming 2024 Tiguan. It'll ride on the same MQB Evo platform as the third-generation Tiguan but bigger to accommodate a third row.
Quote:
It too will be offered with two plug-in hybrid powertrains – one with 201 hp and the other with 268 hp – thus mirroring the Tiguan. Similarly, it's going to support DC fast charging and provide an electric range of more than 62 miles (100 kilometers).All engines have been developed from day one to meet the Euro 7 regulations programmed to come into effect in July 2025. These will send power to the front wheels or an optional 4Motion all-wheel-drive system.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 13:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
While I like the identical sounding names, its true that people mix it up and you end up correcting them. One of my relative called my Kodiaq as Kushaq and I had to correct him and even had to explain how its entirely a different vehicle. You almost end up with a tomayto tomahto situation with similar sounding names!
I agree with better naming for cars but I don’t understand how in the world your relative mixed Kodiaq and Kushaq. They don’t sound like in the case of Tiguan and Taigun. Koran and Kodiaq do sound similar though.
If sound rude or out of line then I am sorry.
Old 16th June 2023, 13:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Prince View Post
I agree with better naming for cars but I don’t understand how in the world your relative mixed Kodiaq and Kushaq. They don’t sound like in the case of Tiguan and Taigun. Koran and Kodiaq do sound similar though.
If sound rude or out of line then I am sorry.
Haha, true that! In this case people also misread the car's look and end up calling it Kushaq and then realise its a much bigger car they are looking at.
vjbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 08:24   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

India-bound Volkswagen Tayron technical details revealed.

The Tayron is expected to launch in India by early 2025; will be assembled from CKD kits.

Quote:
Tayron to come with petrol, diesel and PHEV powertrains
Will share platform with next-gen Tiguan/Kodiaq
India launch expected by early 2025

Quote:
For India, Volkswagen is likely to stick with the 2.0-litre petrol engine, but it remains to be seen if the PHEV variants are also brought here.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th June 2023 at 08:27.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 06:31   #13
BHPian

Am I reading it correctly? I remember reading somewhere that VAG group had decided to discontinue (or was it discontinued already?) Diesel engines for Good.
Old 19th June 2023, 09:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandraSekarMN View Post
Am I reading it correctly? I remember reading somewhere that VAG group had decided to discontinue (or was it discontinued already?) Diesel engines for Good.
They have already discontinued diesel in most markets and phasing out in the remaining one's too. These are probably the last batch of diesel releases from VW group.
Old 21st July 2023, 18:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

2025 VW Tayron rendered as Tiguan-based global seven-seater.

VW Tayron is the Tiguan replacement for India-volkswagentayronilrenderdimotor1.com.jpg

In North America, the vehicle will be marketed as the Tiguan, while for Europe, it will see it as the Tayron when it debuts.
Quote:
Regardless of the name, it will share the same MQB Evo platform with the next-gen Tiguan and will feature seven seats.
Quote:
Tayron for the global markets should be very noticeable in the engine department, too. Expect to see a selection of turbocharged gas and diesel engines mated to a dual-clutch transmission, as well as a new plug-in hybrid powertrain shared with other Volkswagen Group models. The 1.5-liter TSI in a PHEV setup will work in tandem with a six-speed DSG and will feature a larger 25.7-kilowatt-hour battery pack. The same characteristics were confirmed for the new Skoda Superb just earlier today.
Quote:
The interior of the new Tayron will be largely based on the Tiguan’s cabin. This means you can expect a 15-inch screen on the center console for the infotainment system and a wide range of driver assist systems. Depending on the trim level features such as matric LED headlights and adaptive suspension could be expected.
Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks