Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2023, 18:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra sells over 1 lakh Bolero SUVs in FY2023

The Mahindra Bolero has achieved a new sales milestone as sales crossed the 1 lakh unit mark in FY2023.

Mahindra sells over 1 lakh Bolero SUVs in FY2023-creative-mahindra-bolero-suv-breaks-sales-record-surpasses-1-lakh-mark-fy-2023.jpg

The Bolero was introduced in the year 2000. Since then, the carmaker has sold over 14 lakh units of this rugged SUV. It has been acquired by municipal corporations and government departments for firefighting, forestry, irrigation, public works, emergency services and other operations. It has also been part of police, army and paramilitary fleets.

The Bolero Neo was launched in July 2021. The compact SUV uses body-on-frame construction and is powered by Mahindra's mHawk100 engine.

According to Mahindra, sales of the Classic Bolero increased by 28% in FY2023 compared to the previous fiscal. It is powered by the mHawk75 diesel engine producing 75 BHP @ 3,600 rpm and 210 Nm @ 1,600-2,200 rpm. The SUV gets micro-hybrid tech, offering engine start/stop across all variants.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 18:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra sells over 1 lakh Bolero SUVs in FY2023

It would be interesting to see the percentage of Bolero Neos out of these 1 lakh. Sadly, M&M does not share this bifurcation. Bolero Neo is a very capable but highly under-rated vehicle in the M&M stable.
Knightrider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 18:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Most of these are Government departments replacing their ageing fleet since the Union govt had asked all the governments to trade in their 15+ year old govt vehicles across the country.
Nithesh_M is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 08:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Most of these are Government departments replacing their ageing fleet since the Union govt had asked all the governments to trade in their 15+ year old govt vehicles across the country.
Bolero still has strong rural market. I'm surprised mahindra not offering another more powerful engine with existing one.
sunilarkt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 09:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Bolero sales have crossed the 1.4 million mark and still counting. To put things in perspective, Hyundai have sold 1.3 Million Santros, IIRC, in comparison. There's no stopping this Mahindra juggernaut.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 09:24   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's fascinating to see this ageing bull consistently manage sales of 8000 - 9000 units / month! A few years ago, the Bolero had taken a big beating from all the newer crossovers & MPVs, where its sales had fallen by 40% or so. Would be interesting to know what strategies were adopted by Mahindra to bring it back to peak levels of 9000 units / month. Simply mindboggling for a vehicle of its vintage, crude nature, outdated build + design + interiors and driving experience to sell these kind of numbers.

Anecdotal evidence, so make of it what you will, but whenever I visit a B-town or rural India, it's full of Boleros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
It would be interesting to see the percentage of Bolero Neos out of these 1 lakh.
The Bolero Neo is basically a rebadge of a flopped product (TUV300). I doubt it would be a significant contributor to these sales numbers. Or is it?

Quote:
. Very insightful.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 10:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Although its presence in various use cases throughout the country showcases the vehicle`s capability what is truly surprising is its powertrain refinement and ease of driving that can put some ~ 30L vehicles to shame.

Bolero is the hatchback equivalent of a utility vehicle, M&M is reportedly working on an all new Bolero, given the makeover the Bolero Pickup has received, we can expect something on the same lines perhaps.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 10:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's fascinating to see this ageing bull consistently manage sales of 8000 - 9000 units / month! A few years ago, the Bolero had taken a big beating from all the newer crossovers & MPVs, where its sales had fallen by 40% or so. Would be interesting to know what strategies were adopted by Mahindra to bring it back to peak levels of 9000 units / month. Simply mindboggling for a vehicle of its vintage, crude nature, outdated build + design + interiors and driving experience to sell these kind of numbers.
I think the strategy has been to keep the model as is with very little price increase - other cars have shot up by a big margin, I remember when the Scorpio Vs Bolero pricing was just a lakh and half its almost double now. The new NEO I think has not lived up to the mark but the fact that they didn't discontinue the old Bolero made sure people didn't move away from the brand/car.

Also, its one of the last, robust, low maintenance SUVs out there. So I think not rocking the boat too much may have been the only strategy they followed.
TejasV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 10:06   #9
BHPian

As someone who just bought a Bolero Neo (aka TUV300 ) I can vouch for its no nonsense , rugged approach . Just upgrade the Rims and Tyres to 235/16 and you are set . For the price Mahindra is asking for it , I paid 10.96 for the N8+ after discounts , its a steal in this world of overpriced pseudo CSUV"s that will break their Lower arms in medium sized pothole at speed.

Its the last of the Old-school tough breed , between this and the Jimmy (which I also have on booking ) your last chance to own a piece of history !

Last edited by wbd8779 : 25th April 2023 at 10:08.
wbd8779 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 10:40   #10
BHPian

I own a 2021 Bolero and its the cheapest Body on frame SUV's you can buy. Even small hatchbacks costs a lot more. Simple mechanicals and therefore reliable, rugged and cheap to run/maintain and a 7 seater, everything that majority of India needs. Also a big factor is the drivability aspect, especially in 2 lane roads and hilly areas.

With such numbers I don't see Mahindra phase the old one out anytime soon. Maybe after the Thar 5 door launch, Mahindra might plonk in the 1.5 engine and pitch it as a Bolero replacement.
kkSolo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 11:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A few years ago, the Bolero had taken a big beating from all the newer crossovers & MPVs, where its sales had fallen by 40% or so. Would be interesting to know what strategies were adopted by Mahindra to bring it back to peak levels of 9000 units / month. Simply mindboggling for a vehicle of its vintage, crude nature, outdated build + design + interiors and driving experience to sell these kind of numbers.

Anecdotal evidence, so make of it what you will, but whenever I visit a B-town or rural India, it's full of Boleros.
When crossover onslaught began few years ago, even rural junta gave in for that. Result of ownership were evident in 2-3 years of time. Everybody liked comfort and power, but then soft-roaders are not up to the mark when it comes,
  • Facing bad roads.
  • Scarcity of maintenance options.
  • Difficulty in sourcing parts from over-the-counter shops.
  • Missing that quint-essential rear leaf spring. It is difficult to survive in rural areas if you can't haul cargo.

Eventually, rural customers went back to tried and tested formula of RWD + Ladder frame + Rear leaf springs.

In a hindsight, if we do deep thinking, rural India is surviving on Bolero (10 Lac segment) and Eeco (5 Lac segment). There isn't any other sturdy RWD + Ladder + Leaf spring options.

Options have dried up over the period of time in this segment. Qualis, Tavera, Sumo, Thar DI, Gama all are gone now. Bolero is the Last man standing.
zalaps is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 11:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Second that. The Bolero Classic is the vehicle of choice in my state here for Government departments especially those that have to send its staff to rural areas frequently. The Bolero Neo is acquired mostly for officials that do not travel frequently to the field. In fact, there are quite a number of Govt registered plying recently. For a small state like Meghalaya, the number of Boleros, Neos, Scorpios which are Government owned is mind boggling. The Bolero has been M&M's consistent bestseller, minimalistic, rugged, gets the job done and affordable. Why would they want to tinker with it when they have no other competitor in this space?

For the record, I have two Scorpios as well.
petrogeek is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 15:03   #13
BHPian

Mahindra should offer proper 6 Speed AT (no AMT please) in the Bolero Neo. Would help increasing sales much further.
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 09:28   #14
BANNED

I feel they cold put 100BHP Diesel engine in it and a TC gear box and 4x4, I would be the first book one!
MotoDrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 11:14   #15
BHPian

Let's not forget the legion of Bolero Pik-Ups blitzing past on Indian roads - good roads, bad roads... it doesn't matter. They have only one setting and that's cargo rocket. Whenever I catch a cargo vehicle aggressively closing the gap in my mirror, it's always either a Bolero Pik-Up or a Dost. They seem to effortlessly out-speed most cars. I wonder how that's possible.
SlowRider is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks