Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you want SKODA to relaunch the Octavia ?
No 61 11.55%
Yes 467 88.45%
Voters: 528. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2023, 16:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda officially discontinues the Octavia

Long live, THE LEGEND!

I still remember back in my school days when I noticed an unconventional sexy looking red sedan dropping a school mate. I was so awestruck looking at it because I was used to only Ambassadors, 800, Omnis plying on roads and this car came out. I took many days to even learn it's name and it was Octavia (Octy). Skoda had made a grand entry with a sexy car. It's 2 decades and they killed it in their own hands! Sad to see but it'll long live until it's reborn in India!

I voted for relaunch although I know I won't be able to afford it!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 17:04   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

This is not a logical move. If the VAG group is going to keep the Kodiaq, Tiguan and A4/A6 alive, it means the engine and powertrain have to be adapted for BS6 2.0 and RDE norms.

Octavia being the lightest of these cars, will actually emit less compared to these others and help the company meet its overall corporate average CO2 targets.

Kiling this car will only make it tougher to meet the overall goal as a basket of cars and SUVs made by the manufacturer.

I think the main reason may be that the margins are thin and pricing power is limited in the mid size car segment that the Octavia occupies.

In any case, it is a sad day for buyers as this was one of the most VFM packages available for keen drivers, 75% of a 330i at 50% of the price!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 4th April 2023 at 17:05.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 17:23   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post

The omission of a sunroof where there was already a lack of diesel engine was a very costly mistake for Octavia, particularly with the lower priced sibling Slavia having one.
I guess you made a mistake here. The slavia doesn't come with a diesel engine. The 1.5 tsi is a petrol mill. As a matter of fact the entire VW- Skoda lineup doesn't have one.
But one thing for sure, the sunroof bug has bitten India hard. You don't provide it at cars above 7 lacs, you're doomed for sure . However it is sad to see the Octavia go. Hope the PHEV makes to the Indian market. However I guess it won't be as original as an original turbocharged non hybrid 2.0 tsi engine.
Hope to see you soon Octavia
Old 4th April 2023, 17:30   #34
BHPian

New about the news of Octavia being discontinued and went ahead and bought one in Feb 23.

Its a nice looking well balanced and fun to drive car. Sadly there isn't much option of you want buy a premium sedan and Superb was too big for self drive.
Old 4th April 2023, 17:57   #35
BHPian

I just test drove the Slavia yesterday (TAFE ACCESS Udupi), had a casual chat with my SA about the Octavia and Superb being discontinued due to RDE phase 2, he was quick to shun down the rumors and said "both the cars will continue to be on sale".

Woke up this morning and saw this thread, has left me confused. Will Skoda re introduce the Octavia as a CBU only model in some sort VRS guise, can't say.
Old 4th April 2023, 18:21   #36

I'm a proud owner of the 2019 TSI Octavia. It was the best ROI car in the 26-28L (Delhi) bracket then. Comfortable ride and quiet cabin, in addition to rocket engine and confidence of maneuvering in highway or city alike. Of course, high insurance premium, spare parts, challenging ASS, and expensive extended warranty was the trade-off against the positives.

Certainly, with increased pricing to 34L+ in 2021 and similar features coming in the lower segment car and monocoque SUV with ~60% of the price made wise customers dump Octavia.
I'm in a similar line to go for Verna DCT top model or XUV700 or Hycross, GV/Hyrider.
Product fitment in the market is a key responsibility of the product manager or the product dies its natural death.
Guri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 18:32   #37
BHPian

It's sad to see the last set of sedans getting phased out of the market one by one. For me, the first was the Civic and now it's the beloved Octy. I don't think Skoda would have dared to phase this out if it was an SUV or a crossover, regardless of whether they had any engineering solutions available in place or not. Guess `unchi gaadi` (taller car) trend is going to dominate the Indian car scene for many more years to come.

Such presence on the porch would now be a rarity. Glad to own one of these beautiful machines.
Name:  20230204185648 1.gif
Views: 585
Size:  5.91 MB
rahul1407 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:28   #38
BHPian

Still remember seeing the car in the flesh for the first time in 2002 in a stockyard on Mysore road in Bangalore (TAFE showroom was not open yet) when we were contemplating on buying one of the first Octavias in Bangalore. RIP, hope to see it back in a hybrid / electric avatar soon.
deepakc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Disagree. The Octavia was the intermediate " Merc/ Audi/ BMW" sedan for those who couldnt stretch past 30 lacs. Most owners would be chauffeur driven. I dont think they needed a sunroof to make the car popular. It was legendary as it is. The powerful engine, excellent high speed ride, cabin space , massive boot and overall build quality were the main draw. I I wouldnt care a fig about a sunroof in such a car.
If you thought that all the folks who shelled out 30 big ones in India didn't care to be listened to, you have grossly misjudged the audience. it hurts when car companies don't listen to their customers. No matter what they offer, there is a list of checkboxes that need to be ticked ... if not for the one being chauffeured, his/her family that has an outsized say in the Indian context. Case in point, my daughter wanted a sunroof in our new buy - doesn't matter if we opened it only once in all of 2 years of ownership.
An Interesting aside - have you seen how Indian dogs travelling by car have a compulsive need to be popping out their heads when pets across the world seem to be perfectly content to stay inside with the windows rolled up?
The moral of the story is that the Indian market has quirks and you either are a Kia / Maruti who churn out just the right amount of stuff packed with the kit that Indians want to see at a VFM price point OR a Honda (one car wonder)
That said, I think Skoda has learned and Kushaq/Taigun are cases in point for value engg. Can't say that they will set the charts on fire because of their perceived and actual cost to maintain vis-a-vis competition. But they have a bunch of cars that are appreciated by a subset. They need to bring forth an Enyaq or some other EV to stay in the reckoning though.
INNOVATOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 21:15   #40

Always wanted to buy an Octavia when I was in teens and 20s. In an alternative universe - I would be happy with vRS.
iFrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 21:33   #41
BHPian

I have to 2014 Turbo diesel Octavia L & K. Even today after 9 years, it brings a HUGE smile on my face every time I put my foot on the accelerator. It’s just a damn rocket !!

Gonna miss this beauty of a car. Sad to see it being discontinued.
drjaygoyal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 00:43   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul1407 View Post

Such presence on the porch would now be a rarity. Glad to own one of these beautiful machines.
Attachment 2436963
Sorry to divert little bit off the topic, wanted to know if you have done PPF/wrap on roof and ORVMs ?? I would be glad if you help me with few photos of your ride.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 01:19   #43
BHPian

Is there any other car that could genuinely substitute Octavia?
Old 5th April 2023, 01:51   #44
BHPian

The news of octavia discontinuing is actually heartbreaking. I was planning on buying one in 2025, Earlier plan was 2022 had covid not hit hard, it would have been in my garage. I didn’t want no mercs or beemers. All I wanted was an Octavia TSI, heck. I‘ll see you on the other side bud.
Old 5th April 2023, 01:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONG_TOURER View Post
Sorry to divert little bit off the topic, wanted to know if you have done PPF/wrap on roof and ORVMs ?? I would be glad if you help me with few photos of your ride.
Sent DM with an image. Roof has black ppf and mirror caps are black painted.
rahul1407 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks