Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 10:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Here’s how the Toyota Innova Hycross base variant looks

The Toyota Innova Hycross was launched in December last year. You may have seen the MPV on the road by now, but most of these have been high-end variants. Now, Toyota has started dispatching entry-level trims, aimed at fleet operators.

Here’s how the Toyota Innova Hycross base variant looks-screenshot-20230403-103207.jpg

The Innova Hycross is available in six variants with prices starting at Rs 18.55 lakh (ex-showroom) for the base G trim. As you can see in these images, the G trim looks very basic with its steel wheels, black grille and bumper inserts.

Here’s how the Toyota Innova Hycross base variant looks-screenshot-20230403-103347.jpg

It’s a similar story on the interiors, which looks quite dreary with grey plastics all around. The centre console houses the manual AC module and the shift lever and has provision for an infotainment system. You will also spot a few dummy buttons on the dashboard. The taxi variant gets a 3-spoke steering wheel and a twin-dial instrument cluster with a central MID.

Here’s how the Toyota Innova Hycross base variant looks-screenshot-20230403-103248.jpg

The base variant of the Innova Hycross is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that makes 172 BHP and 197 Nm. It is paired with a CVT.

Here’s how the Toyota Innova Hycross base variant looks-screenshot-20230403-103318.jpg

Source:

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Here’s how the Toyota Innova Hycross base variant looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Now, Toyota has started dispatching entry-level trims, aimed at fleet operators....The Innova Hycross is available in six variants with prices starting at Rs 18.55 lakh (ex-showroom) for the base G trim. As you can see in these images, the G trim looks very basic with its steel wheels, black grille and bumper inserts.....The base variant of the Innova Hycross is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that makes 172 BHP and 197 Nm. It is paired with a CVT.
I can very well understand base versions.

But in this case without any manual transmission on offer nor the fuel efficient hybrid engine, not sure whom they are trying to aim with this variant. Or like many of the base variants, it exists just for the entry price point to entice prospective customers?

Edit: Just noticed that the floating infotainment slot means one can't put any normal 1-DIN or 2-DIN music system. One must put a touchscreen system if they want music in the car.

Last edited by DicKy : 3rd April 2023 at 12:11.
DicKy is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Let’s face it, no cabbie is going to touch a large petrol car with an automatic. This base model HyCross is squarely aimed at Carens and XL6 buyers, large families working with a 20L budget instead of 30L. It has the enticing proposition of much more space all round, a bigger boot, and far superior ride and handling. And, the Innova badge. It does not have the feature list of the Kia but all essentials are there, and the mechanical package is superior.

As for fuel efficiency, it is not going to be any worse than the turbo petrol Carens. And performance cannot be worse than the XL6 with Maruti’s lazy K15C engine.

To me, the non hybrid GX variant is the single most VFM pick of the entire HyCross range. A lot of aftermarket mods are already available for this car, to spruce up the exteriors as well as the cabin as per one’s wishes and budget.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 3rd April 2023 at 12:38.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Let’s face it, no cabbie is going to touch a large petrol car with an automatic.
True, no cabbie is going to touch this. In fact in the HyCross thread I had seen members post pics of the HyCross with yellow plates. Surprise, surprise they were all VX Hybrid trims! So I don't know for who is the G SLF variant introduced for, when the cabbies are themselves buying the Hybrid...

Toyota should make the Hybrid available in the base G and GX trim as well, they will be able to pull a lot more customers, both private and commercial!
CEF_Beasts is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
True, no cabbie is going to touch this. In fact in the HyCross thread I had seen members post pics of the HyCross with yellow plates. Surprise, surprise they were all VX Hybrid trims! So I don't know for who is the G SLF variant introduced for, when the cabbies are themselves buying the Hybrid...

Toyota should make the Hybrid available in the base G and GX trim as well, they will be able to pull a lot more customers, both private and commercial!
Wait for a year. The white colour VX hybrid will become the new national taxi of India, taking over from the white Crysta G.

Only personal buyers will go for the non hybrid HyCross. To me, the G and GX HyCross make a very good case for themselves for the large family, over Carens, XL6, XUV700 and Safari.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 14:11   #6
BHPian

This one would be lapped by government offices. The automatic petrol will be least of their concerns considering many governments and PSUs have Maruti Suzuki Ciaz and Ertiga in petrol automatic versions. The only caveat is that these are being used at present to chauffeur senior officials and used in offices which have budget for 10-15 lakhs per car. Innova Hycross can go to state police and other similar institutions with per car budget upwards of 20 lakhs.
AROO7 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 14:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who think that the cabbies won't touch a petrol MUV need to revisit the statement soon. Of all the Hycross I have seen on the road so far, probably 90% of them were on yellow plates and 25% of them were base G model with steel wheels. Corporates, big hotel chains and even the big travel agencies still prefer the Innova irrespective of the fuel option. And slowly, all cabbies will be a convert (or will be forced to).

OT: The last time I was at Taj West End, their fleet had 3 Safari dark edition, 1 Safari gold edition, 2 Harrier dark edition, a bunch of Crystas, 3 Hycross and 1 F-Pace. All of them were on yellow plates.

Back in the day, a big travel agency in my home town had a tough time engaging the fleet of Ertiga, Hexa and Marazzo as most customers asked for Crysta only irrespective of the price.

BTW, the wheels on the base/mid variant Hycross look too small/narrow for a car of such proportion, spoiling the stance.

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd April 2023 at 15:04.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 15:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Wait for a year. The white colour VX hybrid will become the new national taxi of India, taking over from the white Crysta G.

Only personal buyers will go for the non hybrid HyCross. To me, the G and GX HyCross make a very good case for themselves for the large family, over Carens, XL6, XUV700 and Safari.
I agree with this 100%, where the usage of the vehicle is not much the petrol GX makes more financial sense than a hybrid VX. Recently came across this real world mileage test by CarDekho (Link to article: https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...-mpv-30619.htm)

The real world mileage differs by about 4.81 Kms per litre as per the test between the hybrid and the non hybrid. On road price in Bangalore at present varies by 6,95,000 between the hybrid and non hybrid variant (31.25 Lakhs for the VX and 24.3 Lakhs for the GX 7 seater). So to recover the capital cost of additional 6.95 lakhs you would have to drive an additional 144,490 kms to reach parity in terms of cost. Of course this is just a baseline calculation.

Note: The resale price of the VX might be better I agree to narrow the gap in terms of overall cost of ownership, but you would also have to invest / pay more in terms of EMI if you opt for a loan for a VX over a GX upfront to somewhat negate the resale price advantage considering time value of money.
Mile10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 15:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

Completely agree! My first experience in a Hycross was with a private taxi in Jodhpur, which seemed to be a top end trim with the ottomans!

Not just that, but I haven't seen a G trim base Innova Crysta private taxi in a while either! Most recent rides in a Crysta have been GX trim.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 10:39   #10
BHPian

Re: Here’s how the Toyota Innova Hycross base variant looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The centre console houses the manual AC module and the shift lever and has provision for an infotainment system.

Attachment 2436560
So Toyota decided it would be nice to make the electronic parking brake standard, but they could not give even a 2-din music system!

Last edited by daksh0510 : 4th April 2023 at 10:39. Reason: Punctuation
daksh0510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksh0510 View Post
So Toyota decided it would be nice to make the electronic parking brake standard, but they could not give even a 2-din music system!
I dont believe it works easily since adding a manual Parking Brake would mean redesigning the central tunnel, and needs considerable work,

Thats not the case with removing a music system, a basic Android system can be fitted around 15K, which is probably effective for cabbies
shantanumishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:32   #12
BANNED

I for one would definitely be interested in this variant, for me this is real value for money. If the 6 airbag rule gets implemented in October, then that would be the icing on the cake! Music system, allot wheels and few other things can be added aftermarket. The delta is ₹15 lakhs when compared with top end Hycross. For those with a budget of ₹20-25 lakh and needing a 7 seater, this one is a no brainer.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 20:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
If the 6 airbag rule gets implemented in October, then that would be the icing on the cake! Music system, allot wheels and few other things can be added aftermarket. ... .For those with a budget of ₹20-25 lakh and needing a 7 seater, this one is a no brainer.
I completely agree. If this comes with 6 airbags, then the decision is very easy as this would be a very good variant to buy. Rest of the stuff like fog lamps, music systems can be added as an when required as per ones taste and not be stuck with stock systems which are integrated. Even with the rear seat removed, it becomes a very capable 4/5 seater with a large boot.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 20:58   #14
BHPian

Buy an XUV7OO petrol anyday over this. Use the remaining to pay the fuel bill. Reliable gasoline engines aren't alien to Indian car makers.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks