Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2023, 14:22   #1

Extended test drives of luxury cars

Is it possible to get the test drive car for a week or two? My dad is planning to buy something from the german manufacturers but want to be really sure before he invests his hard earned money. He wants to take it to the office and back home over the course of a week to experience the car.
kunjeshgupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 10:52   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Extended test drives of luxury cars

Related Thread (Would you pay for a longer duration test-drive?)

If the dealers are convinced that you are serious, weekend or multi-day test drives are very common in Bombay. I have seen many Audis, BMWs & Mercedes offered for a night or two in Bombay. Even high end ones like the 7-Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunjeshgupta View Post
Is it possible to get the test drive car for a week or two?
A week is too much. As customers, we have to be fair. 2 days is more than enough for the entire family to experience the car under varying driving conditions, and also a quick highway run (e.g. Mumbai - Lonavla).

If you need more convincing, then rent a self-drive car from the many agencies. The big names have a few luxury cars (will be expensive though).
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 11:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it possible to get the test drive car for a week or two?
No, unless the dealer is known and even then not beyond a day or so, perhaps on a low-selling model. Overseas, it's possible to get a car on Saturday late noon and return back on Monday morning. But here most dealerships will keep the showrooms open on Sundays too. He can consider taking extended drives multiple times.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 21:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

That is not really fair, is it? I feel guilty just taking up 30 mins on a relatively long-ish test drive around my neighbourhood, especially when I'm looking at multiple cars and I'm not sure if I would buy this one or the other. Imagine if people all start requesting test drives for a week whenever they have a wedding or family function or trip to go on and then returning the car after all that.
Cresterk is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 14:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:

If the dealers are convinced that you are serious, weekend or multi-day test drives are very common in Bombay. I have seen many Audis, BMWs & Mercedes offered for a night or two in Bombay. Even high end ones like the 7-Series.
Audi offered their A6 for a weekend when we were evaluating. This was in Bengaluru. So there's a process to it and should be possible

Week is too long and the liability for the dealer becomes too high.

Only car firm I know that did it was Tesla in its initial days. 7 days no questions asked return policy (not a true demo, but closest to it). They stopped it a while ago - as far as I know. US example- mods Pl edit if relevance is low
naidusown is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 20:19   #6
BHPian

Highly unlikely if you don't have a working relationship with the dealer, their skepticism however is understandable.

If I was the dealer, I'd be extremely uncomfortable with giving luxury cars worth 50 Lacs+ out to someone random, unsupervised, let alone a weekend!
Hopefully you can work something out, cheers!

Last edited by jono213 : 5th April 2023 at 20:20. Reason: punctuation
jono213 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 10:29   #7
BHPian

When my brother in law was evaluating his next big purchase (he had an X5 and was considering options), Porsche sent him the Cayenne for a week or so. He loved it and bought a Cayenne. He also loved the brand so much that he just picked up the Panamera (Cayenne is still going strong). Dealers will do it if you show them that you are a potentially serious purchaser.
fourwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 14:51   #8

Thank you everyone. Will try to convince the dealer and update here.
Old 22nd May 2023, 09:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to get the test drive car for a week or two? My dad is planning to buy something from the german manufacturers but want to be really sure before he invests his hard earned money. He wants to take it to the office and back home over the course of a week to experience the car.
Nobody will do a week I think but it’s very much possible to get the car for ~8 hours on a slow day, may even let you keep it overnight on a weekday especially if you are looking at 80L+ cars. I see you are from Navi Mumbai, PM me if you want a solid test drive route including everything from 6 lane highways to huge speed breakers and congested city streets.
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:18   #10
BHPian

If the dealer thinks you are likely to make the purchase, they will let you try the car out for a day or two, including possibly a weekend. Especially if it’s higher end model with relatively fewer enquiries. You can use it like you would use your current car on a regular day, including a might drive to check out the head lights and ambient lighting, and take the decision. A week is too much to ask for, IMHO.
Old 22nd May 2023, 16:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Nobody will do a week I think but it’s very much possible to get the car for ~8 hours on a slow day, may even let you keep it overnight on a weekday especially if you are looking at 80L+ cars. I see you are from Navi Mumbai, PM me if you want a solid test drive route including everything from 6 lane highways to huge speed breakers and congested city streets.
It would be great if you could share this test drive route. I dont have the access to private messaging yet.
Old 22nd May 2023, 19:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
It would be great if you could share this test drive route. I dont have the access to private messaging yet.
Here you go. If you start by 6PM, you’ll also get to test the headlights on some sections of NH348. I personally use this route and this route only for test drives.

Extended test drives of luxury cars-img_7524.jpeg
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 15:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Here you go. If you start by 6PM, you’ll also get to test the headlights on some sections of NH348. I personally use this route and this route only for test drives.

Attachment 2454191
Thanks man.! The route looks great. Will drive this route with my existing car before going in the TD vehicles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks