Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2023, 16:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar production crosses 1,00,000 units in India

Mahindra has announced a new production milestone as the 1,00,000th Thar rolled off the assembly line. The milestone has been achieved in less than 2.5 years since the launch of the new Thar.

Mahindra Thar production crosses 1,00,000 units in India-mahindra-thar-roll-out.jpg

The Thar is now available in both 4x4 and RWD variants. The former is available with two engine options. These include a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder mStallion petrol that produces 150 BHP and 320 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel that makes 130 BHP and 320 Nm. Both engines are available with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission.

The two engines offered on the Thar RWD include the D117 1.5-litre diesel, which produces 117 BHP and 300 Nm and comes paired with a 6-speed manual transmission. The other option is the familiar 2.0-litre turbo-petrol that makes 150 BHP and 320 Nm. It is offered with a 6-speed automatic gearbox.

Mahindra is now gearing up to introduce the Thar 5-door, which should help the brand tap into a wider customer base. The Thar 5-door will not only offer a capable off-road package, but it will also have the practicality of a mid-size SUV.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 29th March 2023 at 16:02.
TusharK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 16:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar production crosses 1,00,000 units in India

Kudos to M&M for creating a segment and absolutely owning it. 60% of those 100000 are in Chandigarh I believe?
Maverick_4662 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th March 2023, 17:02   #3
BHPian

Well done Team Mahindra.

Well executed generation change and variant mix.
Old 29th March 2023, 18:35   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I am pleasantly surprised to see this kind of demand for a 2-door Thar / Jeep in India. I am also surprised that I fell in love with it so much, that I bought a 2nd Jeep home! Kudos to Mahindra for a winning formula. A Jeep that's good looking + has a killer personality, yet useable on a day-to-day basis thanks to the hard-top (90% of sales), modern amenities, proper fit & finish (unlike the 1st-gen Thar), AT transmissions, turbo petrol & turbo diesel engines etc. Obviously, it's not perfect with the bumpy ride, scary high speed handling & 2-door impracticality.

Mahindra Thar production crosses 1,00,000 units in India-2023rushthar01.jpg

Mahindra themselves had accounted for 2000 sales / month. In their wildest of dreams, they didn't expect this kind of success & fanatical following = 4000 Thars / month is crazy!

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2023 at 19:24.
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 07:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra for serving us small fraction of 4WD Enthusiasts in India. I am sure this news would have bought a huge smile to Behram Sir's face.

Without having an enthusiast like Anand Mahindra at the helm,there is no way Mr. Behram's team would have got the sign off for the original Thar and we poor 4WD enthusiasts would still be driving restored rust buckets.
4x4addict is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 10:28   #6
BHPian

Kudos to Mahindra. The new Thar is so refined compared to the previous generations. My exposure to the Thar was to the first generation which was long back. I had never driven a Thar again but went ahead and booked the RWD diesel. I was so surprised when I took delivery and saw the improvement. It has it's shortcomings but it is not a perfect world!!
Old 30th March 2023, 10:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

More than anything else, I reckon it is about identifying the white space and filling it up (and how) while MSIL twiddled it thumbs over the Jimny! There was always demand for a SWB 4x4 jeep in our market - testament to that is the success of first gen Thar despite its bare bones demeanor. The second gen Thar upped the value quotient multifold by plugging all gaps - excellent engine options (mStallion being a masterstroke), factory-fitted hard-top, a very well tuned AT, much better interiors, etc. I, for one, am delighted that they did not hesitate in copying the Wrangler Long live the Thar!
cool_dube is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 11:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is a feather in the cap of Mahindra! 7OO will follow shortly. All the 3 launches have turned out to be a blockbuster! It's this decade for them to write a story for themselves in the automotive world. Wait until Thar 4 Door comes out. A mini Rubicon will eat sales chart for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.

Besides, on that 100k sales, I am sure atleast 60k families would be cursing their Father / Son / Brother / Wife / Husband for buying this sexy impractical Jeep
gururajrv is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 12:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Dear Sellantis group, you guys missed the boat with what could have been of Jeep in India and for rest of the developing world. At least use this as a case study for the fresh management intakes. Kudos Mahindra, this is an impressive achievement.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 12:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mahindra themselves had accounted for 2000 sales / month. In their wildest of dreams, they didn't expect this kind of success & fanatical following = 4000 Thars / month is crazy!
Well I guess its 4k because of production constraints else if you look at the waiting periods now, it could have breached 5-6k as well which is insane for a lifestyle 2-door vehicle.

This 2nd gen Thar has hit a home-run for Mahindra no doubt. It has great engine/transmission options, 4X4, RWD, decent features and acceptable fit & finish. But more than all this it has one thing which matters a lot in our market : Awesome Road Presence a.k.a 'SWAG'

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th March 2023 at 13:08.
Old 30th March 2023, 14:03   #11

They have defied many norms of the Indian Auto industry -

1. Form over function - 2 door version, India was known to love WagonR because it was very practical and offered more car for the buck. Selling so many Thars in the same country (although after 15 decades) is a major feat

2. Indian OEM fighting with International OEM on Design infringement - M&M had to fight battles with Jeep over the design of the 202 Thar (specially), although it lost out on many fronts but it kept it India strategy solid

3. Car Modifications - India's rules and customers were not the first priority when it came to aftermarket parts. But this car has changed, I have an Ecosport in which I didn't put anything apart from new mats but my new thar I am going to get it fully loaded and then more

4. Expedition Culture - Thar has been the at the forefront of the off-roading culture in India and after 2020 it has really picked up. Looking at their videos I sometimes feel that I am not just getting a product but also membership to a sought after club
EcoSport_Thar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2023, 17:25   #12
BHPian

I'm just glad a real jeep is still in production at M&M. Ofcourse not this SUV, but the Roxor that chugs along in a developed market alongside its Stellantis mutation. The latter takes the form of this SUV in the local market. Now if only a jeep too was sold here as well. Kudos to them though for the success, and bringing in the funds to keep the jeep alive elsewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks