Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2023, 23:39   #1
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner: How are the comfort levels?

I have a small query people. How good is the comfort levels on the Fortuner?

Let me elaborate my doubt. We have two sedans in our home. A 2017 Ciaz and a 2019 Verna, both with petrol mills. We predominantly use the Verna and I have covered 40k over the last 3 years and 8 months, of which the last 6 months alone saw it run 10k. This is in spite of the covid pandemic.

Pre-Covid, we predominantly used to fly and then take cabs from our destination and in rare circumstances, we used to take a train. We mean, My mother in her 50s, Father in his 60s and my grandmother in her 80s. Since covid, we started taking the road and we've felt really comfortable traveling by road since it offers the flexibility of last-minute change of plans and no restrictions on luggage, apart from others.

Touch wood, my grandmother has endured many trips spanning 2k+ kms with mild inconvenience. I had upgraded the stock Bridgestone 195/55/R16 on my Verna with Continental UC6 with 205/55/R16 and it has made a huge difference in grip, comfort and handling although the fuel economy has definitely dropped.

My grandmother prefers sitting in the front since it has ventilated seats, seats are reclinable and most importantly, it is less bouncy than the 2nd row. I have taken the Verna on Fantastic roads, good roads, bad roads and rubbish roads. I've taken on Axel twisters and river crossings (not planned). I've driven on gravel and smooth tarmac. However, It has bottomed out many times when loaded with luggage and 4 adults. My father finds the Verna to be much more comfortable than the Ciaz and I find it to be more engaging and hence we unanimously take the Verna for inter-city duties. We've found the boot of a sedan to be very comfortable as my people have the habit of loading it to the brim. Hell! We've even carried printers on the car when we travelled for work purposes!

Looking forward to getting another car in a year or so and my mother is keen on a bigger car as we require a car that can accommodate a growing family. My tryst with BOF SUVs have been quiet limited. Once when we drove from Chennai to Goa and back (Both in a single day each way) and once in Nepal where we have driven around across Nepal in a Scorpio 4x4.

I simply love the manner in which a sedan handles and accelerates. Give me a twisty road with sparse traffic and I would come out grinning. I know that a SUV would never handle like a sedan. I am certain that if I am going for a SUV, it would be a BOF with 4x4 or at least a monocoque with AWD.

Coming back to my predicament. How comfortable is a Fortuner? I have heard that it simply annihilates any bad road, but is bouncy over the good ones. My driving would involve Highway cruising comfortably at 100-120 Kmph and I expect it to be comfortable at higher speeds if & when Nitin Gadkari ji increases the speed limits on Expressways) - being future-proof. I would never push the car beyond that speed, never ever.

How are the car in the front and 2nd rows at speeds around 120? Is the comfort comparable to a Sedan?

I am sitting at the fence. Fortuner 4x4 MT is close to OTR 45-46L in Chennai which is a huge amount of money for a car and I don't want to have even an iota of regret or condemnation (from my people) after spending such amounts. Instead, I could look at XUV700 AWD or the upcoming Verna 1.5 Turbo.

I request those who have moved on to a Fortuner from a Sedan to share their experiences.

Regards
Aditya

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th March 2023 at 17:38. Reason: Do not mention any illegal speeds.
Aditya94 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 09:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya94 View Post
If you have senior citizens accompanying you on long road trips, I'd not recommend the Fortuner. They will find the ride unsettling, especially your grandmother. My suggestion would be to go with XUV7OO or Tucson, depending on your budget. Do take test drives of all of these, before taking the plunge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaksarch View Post
Do you get TCS refund?
Of course, yes.

Last edited by cool_dube : 5th March 2023 at 10:00.
cool_dube is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 10:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Touch wood, my grandmother has endured many trips spanning 2k+ kms with mild inconvenience......

Coming back to my predicament. How comfortable is a Fortuner?
If comfort (especially for grandmother...) is top priority, look at Innova Hycross or XUV 700 over a Fortuner. Both of them will definitely have a much smoother car like ride compared to the Fortuner.

If you have made up your mind on the Fortuner, that's a whole different story!
landcruiser123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 11:51   #4
BHPian

Quote:
If comfort is a priority, and especially if the third row is going to be used over longer distances, the Innova (Hycross or Crysta) will be a better choice than the Fortuner. The interior quality though is rather questionable , and you’ll find better plastics in your Verna that costs less than half. It’s another thing that there’s hardly any luggage space in the Crysta with all rows up. You’ll need a roof carrier if you need to carry luggage for seven on a weeklong trip.

The Fortuner has more power and way more road presence, and I’ll personally choose it over the Innova for these two reasons. And I have no use case for the last row.

However, if a diesel 5 seater with good ride, ample power, quality interiors, space, and luggage capacity is all you need, take a look at the Tucson. It’s a very nice car. Or the XUV700 of you don’t mind the badge and initial niggles.
one-77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 13:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
If you have senior citizens accompanying you on long road trips, I'd not recommend the Fortuner. They will find the ride unsettling, especially your grandmother. My suggestion would be to go with XUV7OO or Tucson, depending on your budget. Do take test drives of all of these, before taking the plunge.

Of course, yes.
The problems I have faced with test drives is that they are usually very short and does not replicate all the possible real world scenarios that we would face when actually owning the cars for many years. The TD when I got the Verna was hardly for 4Kms. However, I was upgrading from a 12 year old Wagon R and I just needed a newer car as I was starting to have mechanical issues. We booked the Ciaz even without a TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
If comfort is a priority, and especially if the third row is going to be used over longer distances, the Innova (Hycross or Crysta) will be a better choice than the Fortuner. The interior quality though is rather questionable , and you’ll find better plastics in your Verna that costs less than half. It’s another thing that there’s hardly any luggage space in the Crysta with all rows up. You’ll need a roof carrier if you need to carry luggage for seven on a weeklong trip.

The Fortuner has more power and way more road presence, and I’ll personally choose it over the Innova for these two reasons. And I have no use case for the last row.

However, if a diesel 5 seater with good ride, ample power, quality interiors, space, and luggage capacity is all you need, take a look at the Tucson. It’s a very nice car. Or the XUV700 of you don’t mind the badge and initial niggles.
The 3rd row will predominantly be used for luggage. I am seriously considering the XUV700 because it is a VFM package and a whole 15L cheaper than the Fortuner 4x4 MT that I'm eyeing. However, I am getting mixed opinions on Mahindra's and Tata's service (which I hope will be sorted in the coming years). I'm not considering Tucson because of the overt use of electronics (like touch sensitive AC Controls, Electronic Parking brake, ADAS - which I will never be using) and it is just marginally cheaper than the Fortuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If comfort (especially for grandmother...) is top priority, look at Innova Hycross or XUV 700 over a Fortuner. Both of them will definitely have a much smoother car like ride compared to the Fortuner.

If you have made up your mind on the Fortuner, that's a whole different story!
Although, the fortuner is quiet expensive on an apple to apple comparison to other cars, the things which incline me towards it is its robust mechanicals, hassle free ownership, ability to take abuse and of course the road presence. But I cannot compromise on my family's comfort at the cost of my idiosyncrasy towards the fortuner
Aditya94 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 14:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
But I cannot compromise on my family's comfort at the cost of my idiosyncrasy towards the fortuner
I think that there is your answer as regards the Fortuner..... it is NOT a comfortable car for the older folk, especially in the 2nd and 3rd rows. XUV700 or Innova Hycross should serve you much better, or why not take a look at the VW Tiguan? It's an AWD.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th March 2023 at 17:51. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Revvman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 14:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am seriously considering the XUV700 because it is a VFM package and a whole 15L cheaper than the Fortuner 4x4 MT that I'm eyeing. However, I am getting mixed opinions on Mahindra's and Tata's service
XUV 7OO fits your use case perfectly. Most initial niggles seem to have been sorted out and service is not all that bad - I own a Mahindra too and can vouch for the same. There is simply no comparison between comfort levels offered by a monocoque vis-à-vis a BOF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvman View Post
why not take a look at the VW Tiguan? It's an AWD.
Tiguan's ride is quite harsh, given its suspension tune. I would not recommend it if ride comfort is a key factor.
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 09:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Fortuner: How are the comfort levels?

Toyota Fortuner: How are the comfort levels? - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 6th March 2023, 09:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

For your needs, I feel the Innova Hycross will suit much better than the Fortuner. Getting in and out will be far better than a Fortuner for your grand mum and the ride quality on highways and city alike will any day be better in the Hycross than the BOF Fortuner.

Another choice could be the Mahindra XUV 7OO which too should be more comfortable than the Fortuner. Between these three the Hycross would be my hands down top pick followed by the 7OO.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th March 2023 at 10:00.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:32   #10
BHPian

Why not a KIA Carnival? It is clearly between a car and SUV, offers comfort and sophistication.
sj_koova is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:33   #11
BHPian

Considering you want more comfort and you enjoy driving in a spirited manner - I'd recommend a Meridian, Tiguan, or Kodiaq.

They're quite comfortable, feature packed and are more engaging to drive than the Fortuner.
sid3091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:53   #12
BHPian

Fortuner isn't the car you buy for comfort. It's the car you buy for road presence, off-road capabilities, and bulletproof reliability. I'll second everyone else that you're better off with an Innova Hycross, XUV700, or even a Harrier/Safari.
Safari Persona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Let’s be honest, my mother in her 50s finds it a task to climb into the Fortuner, there is no chance your grandmother at 80 will like climbing a floor and a half higher!

And coming to comfort levels, yes the Fortuner smothers the worst of roads, but that’s at higher speeds. The ride quality at slow speeds in the city will leave you unhappy due to its BoF platform.
Out on the highway though, the Fortuner rides brilliantly, the latest Type-4 has a slightly softer suspension so it helps. You can cruise at 100-130kmph comfortably and it won’t tire you out.

The cars I would suggest for your use case are: Jeep Meridian = Toyota Innova HyCross > Mahindra XUV700 > Toyota Fortuner

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 6th March 2023 at 10:59.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 11:00   #14
Team-BHP Support

Going by what I read and could understand, you should look at Škoda Kodiaq / VW Tiguan all-space (if this variant is available) as your choice. Second in line should be something between a Kia Carnival and Toyota Hy-Cross or even the Crysta. Unless, you are open to sedans, the Superb / Camry can be good choices too.
Sheel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 12:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Fortuner is so not the car for you. It is the single most uncomfortable car you can buy for that kind of money, or even half that kind of money. Even Force Gurkha and Mahindra Scorpio N have better ride comfort. Fortuner as a product is also at the end of its life cycle, and a new generation is expected by the next year or so.

The answer to your requirements is the Citroen C5. A far more comfortable car with much easier ingress and egress. Refinement, stability and dynamics are far better than the Fortuner, which feels positively agricultural in comparison. C5 boasts of the best ride quality of all cars under 1cr. As long as your family is OK with the uniquely shaped rear bench with 3 individual seats, there is no other car that is as comfortable to travel in.

Other alternative options are the Skoda Kodiaq, Hyundai Tucson and the Jeep Meridian. All these cars along with the C5 will also provide the kind of driving engagement you are looking for, and will feel like a huge upgrade from Ciaz and Verna.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th March 2023 at 12:53.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks