Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2023, 13:12   #1
BHPian

Tell us about your post-delivery problems | Cars & Bikes

Even though we follow a pre-delivery inspection perfectly, there might be incidents that occur the next day, such as a loose cable connection or something that was forgotten to patch up at the last moment. This could lead to unexpected issues like being stranded on the road, which could be as simple as a fuel issue.

I had an interesting issue when I took delivery of Dominar UG. The interesting part is not the issue itself but the explanation given by the SA.

While taking delivery, there were a lot of emotions and happiness in that moment, and we took delivery with a happy mind.

Tell us about your post-delivery problems | Cars & Bikes-deleiverydate.jpg

Tell us about your post-delivery problems | Cars & Bikes-img_20190711_172314_1.jpg

However, when I was taking delivery, the salesperson told me not to fill the tank completely. Instead, they asked me to fill only half tank or for Rs:300 for the first three days, and then I could do a full tank refill. This was something new for me. I have taken and attended several new bike deliveries, but none of them told me about this. It could be a precautionary measure to avoid any potential fuel leaks that could cause a fire or something similar. But in the first place, such issues should not be present, and that's what the quality control is for. These people work to ensure that I get a perfect vehicle.

I agreed to the salesperson's advice, turned on my vehicle, and everything seemed perfect. I was so thrilled about my new bike that I handled it like a baby, not even giving too much acceleration. After waving goodbye to my parents, I planned to take a short ride around the city. However, my joy ride soon turned into a nightmare. Within just 20 minutes of riding in the city, my bike shut off instantly, displaying the error message "High coolant temperature."

Tell us about your post-delivery problems | Cars & Bikes-img_20190711_184321.jpg

My heart sank as I checked the coolant level and found everything to be fine. However, I am currently unable to start the engine again to check if the radiator is working or not. I thought I heard the radiator sound while riding. I captured an error message and sent it to the salesperson immediately. To my surprise, the salesperson started yelling at me, saying that they had told me not to fill the tank and questioning why the tank was full.

What on earth is going on here? I'm supposed to be the one calling the shots, yet the tables have turned and now I'm being bombarded with questions left and right. I calmly explained that I only put 500 rupees worth of fuel in the tank, which showed a half tank on the odometer. I didn't bother filling it up completely, though. I requested that they send a tow service to pick up my bike, since I'm currently in Mylapore and the bike was originally delivered to me from the Adyar Bajaj branch. The guy on the phone said he'd get back to me in five minutes, so I decided to kill time by trying to start the motorcycle. And wouldn't you know it, it fired up just fine!

I immediately drove towards the showroom. One mistake I made was accepting the delivery of my bike at 6 o'clock, even though it was planned for 5. We were there at 4:30, but it still took them a solid 2 hours to give us the bike. Lesson learned - I should never accept deliveries in the evening. Now it's already 6:30, the showroom is about to close, and I'm stuck in the middle of the road with a non-working bike.

The bike turned off again with the same error message, but this time I heard the radiator running. I could hear the sound, so I wondered what might be the issue. After a 5-minute break for cooling, I turned the bike on again and reached the Adyar showroom, but it was closed. The salesperson was about to leave for the day and told me that there might be a small issue. However, the service center was closed, and he was not aware of the technical issues. So, he asked me to come back tomorrow.

I told him to keep the bike, as I didn't want to keep a bike that was having trouble and spoke in an angry tone. I told him to keep the bike, and that I didn't want anything. Actually, I had no idea what to do, but I was just angry about the way he had questioned me. Then he plead me to keep the bike and come tomorrow, as his senior technician who was specially trained in Mumbai to service Dominar would be available.

I was not happy at all with this, but the interest part was coming tomorrow. The day went by, and I couldn't sleep that night. I was googling about the issue and checking every directory of Team-BHP, yet there was no answer.

The next day, I went back to the showroom with my dad and one of my friends who already owned a Dominar. The senior technician came, took my vehicle inside, and then came back. Guess what? He only cleared the error codes and nothing else, and told me that the issue was resolved, and there was no issue.

I was like, "Do a test ride! What was the issue?"

Here's the wonderful explanation given by the senior technician: 'You were riding the bike in the city, right? So, there might have been vehicles closely surrounding you in heavy traffic, and as a result, the engine heat might not have dissipated, causing it to overheat and turn off. If you take the bike for a long ride on the highway or take it out on ECR, this issue should not occur.

My dad said, 'So, this vehicle should not be used within the city? Is it only meant for highways?

Senior technician: Yes, sir.

Then my dad turned to the sales rep and told him, 'Wonderful, we need a refund.

Even the salesperson couldn't hide his laughter when the technician gave that reason. Meanwhile, while we were discussing, the engine was turned on for testing, and it automatically turned off again with the message 'High coolant temperature.' We asked him how this happened now, and my friend started to shout at them, showed him his Dominar, and said, 'Do you all think we are such fools?' Then, the salesperson told us to leave the bike for a full detailed analysis and said they would call me back.

My dad is still sticking with the refund, I told them that I need the bike by EOD.

We left the bike at Bajaj service center in Adyar and went home. I received a call at 3 PM, stating that the issue had been resolved, and they had identified the problem. I asked them about the issue, but they asked me to come directly.

We went there at 4 PM with my dad and asked about the issue. The technician did not even come out this time; he was working on a different bike and did not make eye contact with me at all. The sales rep came from the showroom, gave us the bike, and told us that the issue was due to a broken radiator fan.

How it happen?

After all the testing on the bike, before delivery, they sent the bike for a water wash inside the service center. A guy who was not aware of what is radiator, used a high-pressure water pump to hose down the bike directly onto the radiator. This powerful force of water broke the radiator fan and caused the issue. ( Something new I learned and couldn't find this reason online for the past 2 days )

Then the sales rep told us that they didn't have the stock of the radiator fan currently. However, for us, they had taken the fan from a motorcycle that was in the showroom and installed it.

"I asked, 'What? Fine, at least they didn't take it from another guy's motorcycle.' Then I asked what if they were going to sell that bike to someone in the future with the same issue. The sales rep replied that they had already placed an order for a new fan, and once they got it, they would install the new one in that bike.

Phew, finally! But hey, I wanted to test it myself. I couldn't believe them right now. So I took my bike, filled it with BP Speed fuel, and rode the entire evening trying to make the engine overheat as much as possible.

Tell us about your post-delivery problems | Cars & Bikes-ecr.jpg

Tell us about your post-delivery problems | Cars & Bikes-img_20190720_054734.jpg

Tell us about your post-delivery problems | Cars & Bikes-img_20190720_054829.jpg

Tell us about your post-delivery problems | Cars & Bikes-img_20190720_055129.jpg

Tell us about your post-delivery problems | Cars & Bikes-img_20190720_054712.jpg

I rode through city traffic, then took the ECR route, reached Mamallapuram, went back to Kovalam, again to Mamallapuram, and back to Kovalam. I did a test ride until 9 PM, and the bike was amazing. All the problems and bitter feelings disappeared after its performance.

I went back home and finally settled down with a good feeling about the bike. I laughed so hard about the reason the senior technician gave.

Last edited by raptor_diwan : 1st March 2023 at 13:47.
raptor_diwan is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 07:40   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tell us about your post-delivery problems | Cars & Bikes

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Have had a single problem with a delivery, and that was with the wretched Premier 118NE. We barely took delivery and got off the dealership's ramp & the damn air-conditioner conked off. Took a u-turn and went back to Bombay Cycle & Motors. The technician opens up a bunch of wires behind the dashboard that were tied together by an old handkerchief or something . Fixes some wiring issue (or was it a fuse?) and the AC fired up again.

Boy, was it a sign of things to come. Along with the '06 Tata Indigo, the 118NE was the most poorly built car to ever enter our garage.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:08   #3
BHPian

I had a problem with my Pulsar 150 way back in 2010. The front disc brake just jammed up when I was in the centre of the city, luckily I was driving in a very low speed. I called the showroom and they asked me to get the bike to the service center of the very place I bought it from and they cant repair it anywhere else(These were the days Bajaj bikes were selling like hot pancakes and the attitude of the showroom guys at their peak, you take it or leave it). I somehow managed to do something and ride it all the way to Banashankari and gave it to them to have a look. After inspection, the service guy comes and says I will have to bear these charges and gave me a split up of the charges. At this precise moment I lost my patience and gave the service advisor a earful and called the SA who was upstairs who also got a piece of my mind. Finally they agreed to do it free of cost ,since as per them I was creating a scene in front all their prospective customers. Now to the issue , it was a lose bolt which got stuck somewhere while washing and over course of time while driving it slotted itself in a place which was jamming the brakes.
puntra800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 09:58   #4
BHPian

I had an issue with my new Brezza ZXI+ AT around 15 days post delivery, and with just 550 kms on the odo. Does that count?

I've already detailed that in these posts:

Talking about the ordeal:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5498226 (2022 Maruti Brezza Review)

The actual issue as stated by the service centre:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5500562 (2022 Maruti Brezza Review)

I'm waiting for the car to be delivered so that I can test it out to check if everything works. It's due to be delivered to me next week. Fingers crossed.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 12:35   #5
BHPian

I had similar incident with my NS200. Took delivery, got the fuel tank full and started enjoying the ride.

All went fine for first 150-200 kms. After that, the bike would just die in the middle of road and would not start no matter what you do. Long self-starts, short self-start and pushing but nothing worked. Then after some time, it would start as if nothing had happened. It was not overheating as well. Absolutely no sign of anything wrong but it would die. This happened many times.

Called up the salesperson and he gave me service center number. Called them up and they told me to bring the bike to service center. I was about 20-25kms away from the service center. Started travelling towards the SC and the bike died quite a few times on the way. Then finally around 5-7 kms away, the bike died and refused to start even after 30 minutes. I called the service guy, and he sent a technician on another bike. The technician arrived in 20 minutes time. He gave me his bike and told me to reach the service center and that he will bring the bike. I asked him how? He said, don't worry about me, you reach service center.

I reached service center and about 15 minutes later, the technician arrived with my bike. The good part was that the bike did die when he was riding. He acknowledged the issue. As it was already about 5 PM, they asked me to leave the bike and that they will call me to update me the status.

Received the call next morning at 10.30 that the problem is rectified. It as fuel pipe stuck between the frame and some other part.
Took the bike and the issue never surfaced ever after.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd March 2023 at 12:49. Reason: spacing for readability
Kulvinder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 14:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntra800 View Post
The front disc brake just jammed up when I was in the centre of the city, luckily I was driving in a very low speed. After inspection, the service guy comes and says I will have to bear these charges and gave me a split up of the charges.
I'm glad that the issue occurred at low speed rather than high speed. A disk jam at high speed would be a worst nightmare to imagine. How long after delivery did this happen? And why have they asked you to bear the expense when it's a brand new vehicle?
raptor_diwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 15:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
I'm glad that the issue occurred at low speed rather than high speed. A disk jam at high speed would be a worst nightmare to imagine. How long after delivery did this happen? And why have they asked you to bear the expense when it's a brand new vehicle?
It happened about 4 days after I took the delivery. As to why I was asked to bear the expense, apparently I would have dropped the vehicle somewhere or would have fiddled with the bike after the delivery as it was perfectly fine during the delivery.
puntra800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 15:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_diwan View Post
All the problems and bitter feelings disappeared after its performance.

I went back home and finally settled down with a good feeling about the bike. I laughed so hard about the reason the senior technician gave.

On a positive note, you know the bike's electronics related to thermal issues are working as expected

It is usually something at the dealer side that will screw up your experience. Happened with us at least three times.

1. Fiat Linea, drove well after delivery, but would not start after reaching home. Turned out the battery connection had come off loose as the dealer had not tightened the battery really terminal properly.

2. Pulsar 150, day two after delivery, the bike's headlight would not go off, some controller part was defective in the batch and got replaced free of cost.

3. Yamaha FZ250: The bike's ABS was not working, and the gear shifts were extremely hard. Turned out that the bike's ABS sensor has to be screwed in and clutch cable has to be adjusted at dealer side before delivery, both were not done!

But like all other things, these issues are transient. Enjoy riding your bike!
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 15:37   #9
BHPian

This moment was when I took delivery of my V15, 5 years ago. Finish the delivery formalities and fuel up, just about reached home and find out the electric start isn't working. Thought it was a battery discharge due to too many starts, during checks and Pooja and many rounds to friends etc. When it happened after riding 50 km the next day immediately went to the showroom, where they say I have to get the battery replaced outside! I lost my temper and gave a piece of my mind to that advisor, calling the manager back to the showroom who had just left for home. They replaced it with a new battery, with warranty card. It still works fine with the second owner. I believe the radiator fan stunt got repeated, in my case the battery. It was a hell to maintain, with frequent issues of heating, chain sprockets, links etc, once the gear lever broke from the clutch and vibrated free, confirming my suspicion that it was a lemon. Got rid of it last July after almost 5 years and 27k km with it. Never again, Bajaj!
100Kmphormore is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 16:05   #10
BHPian

I recently bought a new ntroq for our home as a daily errand runner replacing a problem ridden 12 year access and guess what?

Got it home started ripping off the stickers which these guys put for their advertisements and guess what? There were deep scratches beneath them. I let it slip since it was a 2wheeler and it was not that evident I missed the PDI due to my other engagements.

There was a continuous squeak from the disc break and a couple of weeks in, the accelerator cable snapped. After getting it fixed, the bike now stalls at times and switches off. It's a very weird issue and no one has an answer for it and the whole idea of buying a new scooter which is reliable is already down the drain.

So, a few bad eggs can land but mostly the dealers are primarily responsible for the niggles to cut little costs on their end.
Old 3rd March 2023, 17:05   #11
BHPian

Thanks for the thread. I have a different issue post delivery of my new vehicle. I bought a Skoda Kushaq beginning of this year and I am still trying to claim the NCB from my old car in which I have 50%NCB. I am not able to login to the insurance provider website which says that it is not a valid policy number. Service provider is Reliance. I have raised the issue with all possible support from Skoda (local dealer, dealer head office and with Skoda customer service team)
No progress through any channel.
Old 3rd March 2023, 18:25   #12
BHPian

Sorry that you had to face these issues.

Post delivery issues are very common with new motorcycles. However, the way of acknowledging and resolving that issue is where the standard of the SVC shows

My R15v3 that I took delivery in June 2019 in Thoraipakkam was working fine, until one week later, when doing a U-Turn in Sholinganalur, the clutch cable got disconnected. Luckily my friend worked in Gavs nearby and I parked by motorcycle there overnight and next day morning, the first thing the svc guys did was to apologise and immediately rectified the issue

Then, in 2021 December, I bought a KTM Adv 250 from KTM OMR(which runs on same management as Bajaj, Adyar) and that night, I noticed the backlight of the buttons were not working. So, I assumed it should be of some loose connection and will get it corrected when I go pass by their svc. A couple of days later, a good Samaritan asked me to check my brake light as he was behind me for quite sometime and he never saw it turn on. Immediately I checked and that too wasn't working. Went to KTM SVC the very next day and on priority, the senior mechanic fixed the loose connections and also did an entire PDI again on behalf of me.(Before delivery, we did a PDI and I tested the brake light using the rear brake and it worked fine.. so lazy me skipped the primary front brake and moved on ��)

Also, these minor niggles are not only with motorcycles but with cars too!

I took a grand i10 nios on Dec 2019 from Sholinganalur KUN and within the first week, I noticed that the steering wheel is not aligned. Took it to the SVC and they did a free wheel alignment, wash and it was good to go.(I don't remember if it was like that during delivery or I caused that issue being a newbie driver turning the wheel where I'm not supposed to). Also, the underbody coating peeled off in a few places in the wheel wells because of stones and they re applied the coating for free
shravansp24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 21:02   #13
RRM
BHPian

Good that the issues finally got resolved but the initial ordeal is definitely not something anyone would like to have.

I owned Bajaj KB125 during late 90's/early 2000. After a day of buying, one of my friends who also brought the same bike a week before, mentioned that the engine sound feels different from his bike. I could sense that there was definitely a difference in the engine sound between his and my bike. Took it to the ASC and they said that the sound is as expected and will check during first service.

As usual, there were lot of excuses given by service team, wrote letter to service head at Pune factory. Later the district service engineer called me to get the bike for inspection, to realize that a nut had fallen inside the casing which was making the noise. Luckily there was no damage.

The sound was still different from my friend's bike. Apart from this issue there was none as such. Later it was sold.

Never had issues with cars. Of the 4# I owned, thus far, 3 were pre-owned.
Old 3rd March 2023, 21:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
On a positive note, you know the bike's electronics related to thermal issues are working as expected

It is usually something at the dealer side that will screw up your experience. Happened with us at least three times. Enjoy riding your bike!
Haha, true! Everything is working fine and it's still good. Their service could be better. Technicians need to be more trained in handling these electronic bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
This moment was when I took delivery of my V15, 5 years ago. Finish the delivery formalities and fuel up, just about reached home and find out the electric start isn't working. Got rid of it last July after almost 5 years and 27k km with it. Never again, Bajaj!
Really sorry about your bike, buddy!! Actually, my previous bike was also a Bajaj V15, and in my case, everything was perfect except for the fuel gauge, which showed incorrect readings from the day I purchased it. I even used my V15 for long rides around 1500 KM in 3 days, and it worked well. In your case, it seems like it was a lemon, and I'm glad that you changed it for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravansp24 View Post
Sorry that you had to face these issues.

Post delivery issues are very common with new motorcycles. However, the way of acknowledging and resolving that issue is where the standard of the SVC shows
My R15v3 that I took delivery in June 2019 in Thoraipakkam was working fine, until one week later, when doing a U-Turn in Sholinganalur, the clutch cable got disconnected. Luckily my friend worked in Gavs nearby and I parked by motorcycle there overnight and next day morning, the first thing the svc guys did was to apologise and immediately rectified the issue
Exactly! The way they fix the issue and show empathy is what gives us peace of mind and confidence in the motorcycle, whether it's a car or a motorcycle. Service centers play an important role in this.

I am glad that they fixed it free of cost. I have heard a lot of bad reviews about Yamaha in Thoraipakkam, where one of my friends had an issue with the ABS right from the day he purchased it. They asked him to wait until the first service, and then they did something which did not fix the issue. This continued through the second and third service, and now they are asking him around 10k to replace some parts. His mistake was that he waited until the first service and every subsequent service to fix the issue, instead of addressing it all at once.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2023, 02:09   #15

Bought a Ford Figo diesel in 2013. Whenever the starter was turned on it used to give 7 chimes. My dad went for first service and asked the service personal about those and his response was it is the seat belt reminder.

The Ford service was always a blast. Once went for the 20000 km service and there used to a Thud sound from the front left wheel. The service person said its a feature to let you know the road is not in good condition and drive slowly.
Figo0202 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks