Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2023, 13:50   #1
BHPian

Harrowing PDI experience with a Tata Tiago XZA+

Hello everyone,
If you remember, I was looking for a hatchback for the city under 9 lakh. We had a lot of options and narrowed down on a Tata (rejected earlier due to bad ASS experience) because of safety. We booked a Tata Tiago XZA+ in Arizona Blue in exchange of our Tata Nano and were waiting for the PDI, scheduled on 23rd February. Since we were on holidays, we asked them to postpone the date to the 25th. Till then, we were reading important PDI points to check when seeing the car.

On the 25th, when we asked if the car has arrived, we were displeased to know that the car had not arrived in the showroom. We then had to wait for another 2 days and the PDI was then rescheduled to the 27th at 10 A.M.

We then headed to the showroom for the PDI and we had to wait for two whole hours for our salesperson to arrive. And upon arrival, we were left shocked and annoyed.

The car was not at all in a factory bought condition. It was full of scratches, paint chips and large, uneven panel gaps of some sorts. Heck, even the horn wiring was exposed at the end. I tried checking the VIN but it showed an error that the VIN is ignored or is invalid.

If you remember, we didn't want a Tata because of the ASS, and now this! Seriously, how did the car even pass the QC test? Or is it even a car from the factory or a damaged vehicle in the yard which was being sold to us?

Now, we are in a dilemma whether to keep the booking and wait or shift to another car of another brand. And if stay, change the colour of the car or keep the same colour. I would love our fellow bhpians to assist on this matter.

Attaching the pictures of the car below:
Harrowing PDI experience with a Tata Tiago XZA+-img_20230227_131406.jpg
A badly scratched bonnet.

Harrowing PDI experience with a Tata Tiago XZA+-img_20230227_131929.jpg
Tape remains which have not been properly removed.

Harrowing PDI experience with a Tata Tiago XZA+-img_20230227_132142.jpg
Large panel gaps.

Harrowing PDI experience with a Tata Tiago XZA+-img_20230227_131831.jpg
Paint has chipped off.

Harrowing PDI experience with a Tata Tiago XZA+-img_20230227_131720.jpg
Exposed wiring.

Last edited by MADisMynAMe : 27th February 2023 at 13:54.
MADisMynAMe is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 13:57   #2
BHPian

re: Harrowing PDI experience with a Tata Tiago XZA+

My sales experience at Tata went well, all things considered, but the after sales service has been bad as well. I called them to check the status on my HSRP 40 days after registration and I was told they would call me back. When I called back the next day and asked the guy why I didn't get my call back, he hung up on me and refused to answer the call again. I had to talk to the sales agent to have that sorted out.

Even the first service experience wasn't that good. They seemed more intent on nickle & diming me for additional services than in listening to what issues the car had and resolving them.

Nice cars. Terrible service.
Safari Persona is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 14:41   #3
BHPian

Not surprised at all. This forum is littered with stuff like this. Yes no brand is perfect and much depends on the dealerships as well but when you don't see improvements over a considerable period of time you tend to give up on the brand.

This is yet another example showing that brands like TATA will never become 'global brands' and that they can barely please Indians at home at best (their best being pretty sub standard and borderline acceptable).
TSI_Exhaust is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 15:10   #4
BHPian

Would there be any week in TeamBHP where we don't come across a TATA issue? To be honest I am fed up with their current mentality. Looks like 35% of people's dream of owning a TATA brand in future will end as a dream.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nt-issues.html (The brand you'd like to own in the future, if they sort out their current issues)
vvivek85 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 15:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Though I am lenient with small scratches which look genuine on an otherwise new and perfect car, but if I were at your place, I would never accept this car. The scratches & worse- paint chips are far too many to be ignored. Looks like a badly handled car if it indeed came new. Results of VIN search as shared by you increase the doubt. In such a case, I would walk away from even the sweetest of the deals.
saket77 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 15:49   #6
BHPian

IMO minor scratches and imperfections are part and parcel of buying any mass market car. These scratches can be buffed and polished away by the dealer. You should be more concerned about the mechanical parts - especially the gearbox and engine. However, do get the VIN verified by the dealer before proceeding with this booking.

All the best!
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 22:15   #7
BANNED

Re: Harrowing PDI experience with a Tata Tiago XZA+

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Would there be any week in TeamBHP where we don't come across a TATA issue? To be honest I am fed up with their current mentality. Looks like 35% of people's dream of owning a TATA brand in future will end as a dream.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...nt-issues.html (The brand you'd like to own in the future, if they sort out their current issues)
It goes like this. If any other brand faces the same scenario, then your fate is bad
If it happens with Tata, then its you have written your own fate.

All said,there is some issue with this particular car. And happily can be rejected.
Altrozed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 08:49   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADisMynAMe View Post

Now, we are in a dilemma whether to keep the booking and wait or shift to another car of another brand.
If i were in your place, i would have shifted to another brand without second thought. These events are indications of how your future ownership will be handled by Tata ASS.

Tata Tiago is not at all superior to other competitor's car. I drove my brother in law's car during my recent Nainital trip, certainly not at all pleased with the aging of car, rattles, squeaks, and all other strange kind of noises coming out of a 1 year old car.
UD17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 09:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Walk away from this car is what I suggest.

Also a bit apprehensive about AMTs in general and especially Tata due to forum reports of faults and Tata's service compounding the issue. Not trying to dissuade you, Tiago in its manual avatar is an excellent do it all car but the AMT is a concern.

I read your post on 3rd Feb regarding your decision about going with the Tiago AMT. If you've made up your mind then you can disregard my previous suggestion.

But definitely get another car, this one hasn't been kept well at the very least.

Last edited by shancz : 28th February 2023 at 09:10. Reason: added inputs post tr
shancz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 09:26   #10
BHPian

I bought a Tiago for my in-laws recently. They wanted a small automatic and were not interested in the Korean brand due to older service costs which they faced with Santro and the obvious safe choice was Tiago.

Tata is shitting itself with the deletion of features and increasing prices. I would have rather cross shopped and bought anything but Tiago the way dealership operates was the starting cue to avoid them but in-laws were hell bent in getting a small non Korean automatic and MSIL was out of the list since their last car got totalled at low speeds and hence the requirement for a new one.

I was overcharged by them since I wanted an early delivery and I was ok with a minuscule sum for the same however, the most annoying and bothering part of the whole transaction was they conveniently forgot giving me the extended warranty and when we asked multiple times they kept telling you’ll get it online! But they do not have a portal where you can retrieve it from and the invoiced and gave the extended warranty after 2 months of purchase after multiple escalations! We’re still waiting for a number plate, their agent is apparently sick and that’s why they cannot get it place its 3 months now since the purchase.

While getting the first service there was only one complaint that the car is pulling towards the leg, they acknowledged and took extra few hours to get it fixed while balancing and adjusting the alignment. Now after working in the car for one full day, the car pulls to the right!

This was the first and last Tata purchase from our family and extended family as well, we were eyeing on the Harrier but irrespective of the urge to get that product, the support system which it vines through is just non existent. Can never spend anymore money for this brand. It’s an aspirational brand for me and will be out of bounds for the wrong reasons.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 09:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADisMynAMe View Post
Now, we are in a dilemma whether to keep the booking and wait or shift to another car of another brand. And if stay, change the colour of the car or keep the same colour. I would love our fellow bhpians to assist on this matter.
I suggest you ask the dealer to provide another car in reasonable time (say a week or two). If the dealer refuses, walk away to another brand. Also, henceforth, keep every communication in writing; include the photographs and chassis number of this vehicle.

Changing of colour is totally your call, I can't give any inputs on that.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 28th February 2023 at 09:35.
AutoNoob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 10:04   #12
BHPian

As a Tiago XZA owner, I will sincerely and humbly suggest you to walk away from Tata and get any other AMT/CVT

In the 4 years I have owned mine, it has rusted, rattled, had electrical issues, left me stranded many times, had an AMT failure already list is endless. Nowadays I travel with an entire set of fuses and have just learnt to ignore all the annoying noises coming out of every nook-and-cranny of the car

It may be my particular car is a lemon but my advise is give Tata a miss if you can still do so. Any Maruti/Hyundai will be way better option (I still repent not having gone with a WagonR AMT or Santro AMT when I was purchasing)
anand.shankar82 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tata's Tiago (and Nexon to some extent), are the only TATA cars I suggest to others. But nowadays even these are having niggles and the ASS has been going from bad to worse.

I would suggest you saw the trailer of things to come, entirely upto you if you want to watch the movie!
07CR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:54   #14
BHPian

Tata has really improved on their car design and ride qualities after the acquisitions of Jaguar and Land Rover but their after sales service needs a humongous improvement! I had booked a Nexon XMA (S) couple of years back and was promised delivery within three months. Once the window passed, I kept following up with the SA, Regional manager and customer service but never received a satisfactory response. They didn't even care when I decided to cancel my booking. Tired with the constant follow-ups, lacklustre response and scared about future service experience, I cancelled my booking and went ahead with Hyundai Venue.

I finally received a call from Tata Customer service team after 3-4 weeks on car cancellation to check if I am facing any challenges in my existing car booking with them It speaks volumes about their after sales service quality and customer grievance policy. Never booking a Tata car again unless this is improved!
Varun_G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 12:04   #15
BHPian

If you want some peace of mind, don't go for a TATA.

Buy a Nios AMT which has a good ride quality & easier to live with Hyundai's superior service experience.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks