Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2023, 13:39   #31

Re: 2022 car sales figures by fuel choice | Petrol vs Diesel vs CNG vs Electric vs Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Thank you! This makes so much sense.

You talked about keeping the engine in its most optimal zone, but then what happens when you floor it on the highway, cruising at 100kmph or so? Wouldn't that be a high-load situation for a naturally aspirated engine making relatively mediocre amounts of power and torque?
Usually the engine in a strong hybrid in 2 modes, one in generator mode where the drive is through the motor and engine only charges the battery and another in the hybrid powering mode where traction is provided through engine + motor or sometimes if the engine is sized big enough through engine alone...both the strong hybrids in India currently (Honda and Toyota) have underpowered but efficient engines. So in case of a hard acceleration demand the engine kicks in to support the motor if it isn't capable to deliver it. But in a condition where the charge in battery is depleted and traction is only through the engine then the performance would take a hit due to the atkinson cycle
Old 10th May 2023, 17:43   #32
BHPian

Re: 2022 car sales figures by fuel choice | Petrol vs Diesel vs CNG vs Electric vs Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Strong hybrids are every bit as efficient as turbo diesels on highways, if not more. The petrol engine runs on Atkinson cycle, which is inherently much more fuel efficient.

Ownership reports of the Hyryder and City hybrids point to highway efficiency figures of 23-25kmpl. And you need to drive really hard to go below 18kmpl in both cars, irrespective of conditions.

Net net, strong hybrids are very fuel efficient in both highway and city driving.
Hi Shreyans - I agree with you about Hybrid FE in city as well as highways. I am currently comparing EV vs Hybrid vs Petrol AT for a friend of mine and found that Hybrid offer better value (considering EV charging time on highway & limited range eg. 400km for Atto3). However, Hybrid (say City, Hycross or HyRyder) are overpriced compared to their petrol models. I may not be 100% correct, but in most cases Petrol NA vs Turbo Diesel price difference is 1.50 lacs to 2 lacs. However, if we see the price of XUV7OO Turbo Petrol & Turbo Diesel variant to variant then the price difference is not much (around 60K). Whereas price difference between Petrol AT vs Hybrid is close to 5 lacs e.g. City Petrol V AT vs City V Hybrid.

EV has some kind of mental block for most of us. My friend, who drive 95% or more within city (Delhi-NCR) is not at all considering EV. His car entitlement is 30 lacs and he need a car costing above 30 lacs on road Delhi. He is eyeing Hycross ZX(O) despite I have shared him savings BYD Atto3 offers over Petrol AT or Hycross hybrid. He doesn't need 6 or 7 seater. According to him Hycross bulletproof reliability being it is a Toyota product is unmatched.

It appears that for few years EVs sale in India will be restricted to sub 20 lacs (majority will be Tiago EV or similar priced). Even I am also waiting for Punch EV (expecting Tata to price it under 10 lacs ex showroom for XT level features). I am greatly disappointed with Comet EV & do not see value in Tiago EV because of its already dated interior.
GoBabyGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 17:56   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
I am currently comparing EV vs Hybrid vs Petrol AT for a friend of mine and found that Hybrid offer better value (

Whereas price difference between Petrol AT vs Hybrid is close to 5 lacs e.g. City Petrol V AT vs City V Hybrid.
He is eyeing Hycross ZX(O) despite I have shared him savings BYD Atto3 offers over Petrol AT or Hycross hybrid.
It is an open secret that both Honda and Toyota have overpriced their hybrids. 5-6L is too much money, this is the premium that you usually pay for a full electric. You can’t realistically expect to recover this unless you have taxi kind of running. If it is excessive on Hyryder, the premium is objectively insane on the Innova HyCross! Still, people are willing to pay, blindly trusting the Toyota badge. Lack of competition and the brand pull of the Toyota and Innova names is allowing them to get away with it.

Atto3 is priced in no man’s land. It costs exactly the same as a top model HyCross, which is what 90% people will pick blindly even if they never need the third row. Rest will pick between Tucson, Compass and Meridian. Only 1 or 2% will even bother to consider the BYD. And most of them will have no issues throwing in another 5-10L for an Audi A4/Q3 or a Mercedes A/GLA or a Fortuner or even an Ioniq 5. All of which have FAR SUPERIOR street cred.

Tiago EV’s interior, though dated, is very decent for its segment. It is very well equipped and the cabin quality is a notch above the new VW-Skoda cars. It is the most practical and objectively the best EV one can buy for daily use.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 10th May 2023 at 18:07.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks