Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2023, 20:15   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Harrier & Safari bookings open; now with ADAS

On a side note: We had trends of car lighting systems which moved to from halogen to projector lighting, then LED lighting, then LED projector, then DRLs and now finally "Connected Tubelights" ?
Hyundai Verna took the lead and now Nexon, Harrier and Safari are in line. Not that I am complaining though. It looks interesting and eye catching.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 13th October 2023 at 20:18.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 20:22   #407
BHPian

https://www.carandbike.com/news/tata...-tests-3209697

Looks like we might soon have answers to most asked question on Harrier and safari safety test ratings.
Hope this goes in Tata's favour just like their other cars.
Wakeupsid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 08:27   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmukunda View Post
Anyway, summary is Hydraulic Steering aren't as bad as what the internet paints it to be.
At the same time, not All Electronic Power Steerings are "lifeless". E.g My Zest's EPS has far batter behaviour, especially in Highway compared to Hyundai, Marutis in family, and never felt uncomfortable in city traffic also.

In Safari / Harrier, switchable modes seem to be game changer.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 09:29   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

A post by Sirish Chandran regarding the steering:

Quote:
“ I’m driving in a straight line, then why is the steering wheel not pointed straight? ”
2023 Tata Harrier & Safari bookings open; now with ADAS-4b8bafbd10e745ac98dd0cc8006fbd84.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyXO9x6I...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 14th October 2023 at 09:31.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 09:42   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

Attachment 2517158

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyXO9x6I...RlODBiNWFlZA==
Typical Tata, poor quality control since forever.
I don't remember I've openly recommended a new age Tata product to anyone till date as the first choice. Nor would I buy one.

As for this image, these media review cars go through a lot of abuse, so may be the alignment is off.

If one looks closely at these new design steering wheels, the lines just do not match for the centre pad with the control button console.

Last edited by parrys : 14th October 2023 at 09:43.
parrys is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 09:42   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

Attachment 2517158
I guess this can be corrected by simple alignment. This can not be a design flaw.
axe_deo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 09:43   #412
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Folks, why is there so much hype around the usage of EPS on Tata Safari/Harrier? I have driven the previous version of Harrier and the hydraulic steering felt fine in general in the city at moderate speeds of up to 80 kmph or so. Didn't do highway triple-digit speeds though.

I own a Figo and XUV500 and both have hydraulic and feel a lot more well connected to the road than ultra light EPS on Marutis and Hyundais.
Because the HPS on the Harrier/Safari did exactly what it shouldn't do, it was heavy at slow speeds and became very light at high speeds. Having a steering setup that provides ample feedback is good, and one can get used to a little extra physical effort, but what it shouldn't do is make one nervous at high speeds. I believe HPS on the Duster is much better tuned.
sbm is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 10:55   #413
BANNED

In my opinion, it's more dependent on the overall calibration of the steering. For example, EPS on Endeavor is one of my best experiences on our roads whereas the hydraulic steering in the Harrier was the exact opposite. Don't get me wrong, I am a hydraulic steering person through and through, but it heavily depends upon the turning and calibration of the steering.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 11:33   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Folks, why is there so much hype around the usage of EPS on Tata Safari/Harrier? I have driven the previous version of Harrier and the hydraulic steering felt fine in general in the city at moderate speeds of up to 80 kmph or so. Didn't do highway triple-digit speeds though.

I own a Figo and XUV500 and both have hydraulic and feel a lot more well connected to the road than ultra light EPS on Marutis and Hyundais.
The implementation of HPS is among the worst in Harrier/ Safari and hence the outcry. The steering is heavy at low speeds, which frankly doesn't bother you when you get used to it, and lightens up as the speed climbs. At higher speeds, the steering is too sensitive to input and even small undulations, debris, etc. can cause it to dance violently which becomes dangerous if one isn't used to this behavior. Coupled with the famous left pull, one cannot continue driving it for longer hours, else fatigue sets in.

Even I dismissed these things before buying the Safari and thought it will just take some time getting used to since I had also owned one car earlier which had HPS, Fiat Grande Punto, and never felt uncomfortable driving it. But this was a revelation which one can only experience when owns the car. During TDs one can only check the left pull and not this behavior. The issue here is, while in other HPS set ups, one gets good feedback of the road and at higher speeds, the steering also weighs up sufficiently to allow feedback but not make it dance. While I understand Tata had improved this with the 2020 facelift Harrier, it still was a level too sensitive. If one is going to do only city driving or short highway commutes, this won't bother at all. Also, once in a blue moon type of highway driving will also not make one uncomfortable. But regular highway drives will bring this problem to the fore.

With the newer EPS now, the expectation is if this issue has been resolved. Even if Tata decided to retain the HPS and had taken some effort in tuning it correctly, there would have been no harm. Lets wait till 12 pm when the reviews drop and lets see what the reviewers say. I believe Sirish is not pointing out an issue but maybe Tata has given Lane keep assist and haven't advertised it. Just few minutes left to know all this.

Mod Note: Our Tata Harrier Facelift Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Omkar : 14th October 2023 at 12:12.
tp_dominator is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks