Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2023, 08:31   #391
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Harrier & Safari bookings open; now with ADAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
I think you mistook me on two things:

1. I am not looking for a component upgrade but just willing to exchange my car with new model by paying some delta amount. Nothing wrong in expecting so, right? What that delta amount can be and will it work for me or not is secondary question.

2. I am not blaming tata sales for not informing me dear. I am talking about their lackluster attitude in general even when you show up there for this new model and ready to pay 30 lacs. Tata is not able to give that experience worthy of the price bracket these flagship models belong to.

Well I think there is anyway nothing new in what I said.
It is not a generation change and on top of that the new features will come with their fair share of niggles. Your version would not have these niggles. Think in that positive direction and be at peace. Happy motoring.
harikrishnansp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 10:26   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Media drives begin, SUVs lined up for today's drive.

Attachment 2516287

Attachment 2516288

Link
Where are all the haters who were screaming "TUBELIGHTS" on the 2023 Verna's front LED design? After all, Hyundai turns out to be a trend setter!
Kanglasha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 11:39   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanglasha View Post
Where are all the haters who were screaming "TUBELIGHTS" on the 2023 Verna's front LED design? After all, Hyundai turns out to be a trend setter!
Still hate that tubelight look. The split DRLs on the pre facelift looked menacing specially in the night unlike this amusement park ride connected DRL

By the way, good thing is that tube light can be switched to still give the split look
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Tata Harrier & Safari bookings open; now with ADAS-safari2.jpg  

Rodie09 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 13:24   #394
BHPian

I know this might sound ridiculous but is there any chance to retrofit or upgrade the EPS in the existing Harrier/Safari?
Old 12th October 2023, 13:35   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
The Bigger the rims the lower the profile and harsher the ride. However they look much better visually.
The problem woth our country is that our road conditions vary from state to state. From excellent surface in some states, to downright horrifying in other regions.
As the rims get larger, the aspect ratio reduces and the risk of rim damage, on less than ideal tarmac, particularly when travelling at highway speeds, is a probability one cannot ignore.
Somehow I feel, for Indian road conditions, one should not go below "60"-aspect ratio. This should impart a good balance between tyre performance, aesthetics, cost, weight and protection from rim damage. A 19-inch tyre can be pretty expensive to buy too!
TML did offer 19-inch alloy wheels & tyres on the topmost variants of the HEXA. Quite a few rim damage cases floated in and they went back to 17-inchers but by then the HEXA production halted anyways.
arjab is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 13:37   #396
BHPian

The Tata Safari has long been an icon in the Indian automotive industry, known for its commanding presence and remarkable versatility.

With it's all-new iteration that exudes style, sophistication, and enhanced capabilities and blend of modern design, cutting-edge features, and robust built, the Tata Safari 2023 can be a true contender in the SUV segment.

Let us hope so!
Toni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 13:51   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I know this might sound ridiculous but is there any chance to retrofit or upgrade the EPS in the existing Harrier/Safari?

Most things can be done to most cars. Point is: cost, time, complexity involved and getting an "intelligent" enough mechanic and workshop support system to get it done.
To retrofit an EPS system you would need the complete new column(upper and lower) and rack assembly. All associated wiring harnesses and connectors. Additional electrical load protection/fuses. All the necessary new control units and a re-flash(if possible) of the old ECU or get a new steering ECU. Then you would need to blank off the existing set-up's, hydraulic line-taps, as the EPS will not be requiring those. Then calibrating and tuning of the new setup.
Achievable. But will comsume a lot of time and money!
arjab is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 17:58   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
EPS retrofit is not advisable as there is no aftermarket kit or OEM parts or a donor vehicle with the setup that suits and fits your car. As Arjab has already mentioned, it will require a lot of time and money. And in all probability, you will sell the vehicle within 1-2 months of completing your retrofit after rendering it even more un-driveable. You will lose on the cost of retrofit and the resale value of your car will take a major hit.

Alternatives
1. Sell your car and buy another that suits your current requirements and expectations.
2. Join a gym and start working out to handle that hard steering better.
autoholic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 18:11   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
The problem woth our country is that our road conditions vary from state to state. From excellent surface in some states, to downright horrifying in other regions.
As the rims get larger, the aspect ratio reduces and the risk of rim damage, on less than ideal tarmac, particularly when travelling at highway speeds, is a probability one cannot ignore.
Somehow I feel, for Indian road conditions, one should not go below "60"-aspect ratio. This should impart a good balance between tyre performance, aesthetics, cost, weight and protection from rim damage. A 19-inch tyre can be pretty expensive to buy too!
TML did offer 19-inch alloy wheels & tyres on the topmost variants of the HEXA. Quite a few rim damage cases floated in and they went back to 17-inchers but by then the HEXA production halted anyways.
I agree with this. I had my Ecosport, with the higher 17-inch tyre profile with 50". Between the two ecosports we owned, we had 6 tyre cuts with their Bridgestone Ecopia (Fortunately, all 6 tyres were replaced by the SC on different occasions). In the end, Ford went back to their 16-inch profile.
shashi792 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 23:26   #400
Senior - BHPian

New Harrier and Safari price announcement on Oct 17.

2023 Tata Harrier & Safari bookings open; now with ADAS-20231012_232613.jpg

Deliveries are expected to commence in last week of Oct or early Nov.

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th October 2023 at 23:29.
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 08:01   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi792 View Post
I agree with this. I had my Ecosport, with the higher 17-inch tyre profile with 50". Between the two ecosports we owned, we had 6 tyre cuts with their Bridgestone Ecopia (Fortunately, all 6 tyres were replaced by the SC on different occasions). In the end, Ford went back to their 16-inch profile.
I do understand your concern but most people haven't noticed the fact 19-inch wheel has a wider profile, instead of 235 it comes as 245 in width. I am presuming that the wider profile will somehow mitigate the risks you were alluding to.

I'm also curious about the fact if 245/55 R19 seems a risk to you all, how do German cars & Toyota's bigger SUVs have bigger wheels and still don't experience rim damage? Just curious about it. Kindly enlighten me.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th October 2023 at 19:09. Reason: Grammar, punctuation
Kishoreshack is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 16:21   #402
Senior - BHPian

Folks, why is there so much hype around the usage of EPS on Tata Safari/Harrier? I have driven the previous version of Harrier and the hydraulic steering felt fine in general in the city at moderate speeds of up to 80 kmph or so. Didn't do highway triple-digit speeds though.

I own a Figo and XUV500 and both have hydraulic and feel a lot more well connected to the road than ultra light EPS on Marutis and Hyundais.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th October 2023 at 19:06. Reason: Capitalisation, grammar
supertinu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 16:57   #403
BHPian

I actually test drove a Safari with hydraulic steering, i have been an eps driver, the thumb flickable kind from i20 for 10 long years. I had no issue using the hydraulic unit in Safari, it was fine, frankly if not one word was said, i would be glad to have this hydraulic unit, turning safari around in tight corners was not even an issue.

I also drive kushaq, so i feel it's not much of shit show as everyone keeps crying about when it comes to hydraulic steering. I mean the one's in XUV700 and Scorpio-N feel more silly now with such aggressive assisted steering, it feels comical and frankly dangerous for such large vehicle. I would love to have some heft.

Anyway, summary is Hydraulic Steering aren't as bad as what the internet paints it to be.

Last edited by sandeepmukunda : 13th October 2023 at 16:58. Reason: Spacing
sandeepmukunda is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 17:48   #404
BHPian

There was a point when Hydraulic steerings were the last word on Feel and heft whereas EPS were all about lifeless steerings. Hydraulic were perceived to be manly even.

How things change according to time and taste.
Flash777 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 18:36   #405
BHPian

I suppose its not about the just heft of steering, its more about practicality for every user. There are people who drive vehicle because of passion, for those we can get used to the heavy hydraulic steering (did test drive both safari and harrier), its more a convenience to have EPS at this price point. The higher we pay we all expect to have our money's worth reflect in the product.
Sunroofs are gimmick for few, but a kid would differ on this point when they are star gazing.
Similarly hydraulic steering effort Vs EPS its more of what our preference is, i haven driving chevy beat diesel since 2011, which had Eps, so it make a difference when driving in city on low speeds with eps than a hydraulic once. But with new tech, the steering feedback is being mimicked to add heft to reflect the speed of vehicle.
So over all test drive for few kms in city to driving couple of hours on bumper to bumper traffic can show the difference one needs to endure hydraulic steering and EPS.
Again not defending anything, but for a vehicle of this size an EPS makes sense for practical maneuverability in city at lower speeds, also getting Lateral assist systems is only possible with EPS.
Hopefully as Tata promised during the launch event, hope they soon enable the Lateral assist systems, like Lane keep assist soon.
Wakeupsid is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks