Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2023, 08:09   #301
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Harrier & Safari bookings open; now with ADAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishoreshack View Post
No this is a major upgrade
After this it's unlikely we will see any new avatar of safari/harrier for atleast 3 years.
Even the "Feb upgrade" you are referring to came after a considerable time. Frankly speaking there is no room for upgrade on this architecture. AWD and 4wd is just a far fetched thought of enthusiasts like us, Tata won't bother about it at least in the diesel. Electric will get awd as per the rumours.
Not rumors but Tata themselves confirmed in a video that future Tata EVs especially premium ones like Harrier/Safari etc will have AWD. Given that they are already working on EV platform, forget about possibly getting a petrol version or anyother major upgrade, this is perhaps the last comprehensive update although incremental upgrades will keep on pouring especially more of software upgrades. Plus if battery prices falls by significant price in next 2 years (EV version might cost almost same as ICE version).
Old 9th October 2023, 08:55   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Looks great. However, calling a safari a SAFARI still feels weird without the 4x4. Tata should've at least given the option!
4X4 is coming in EV form. They would want to keep some USP to that new investment and it make sense for TATA to not introduce it in ICE.
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 10:13   #303
Senior - BHPian

The Harrier facelift gets a comprehensively revised exterior and interior design, a side-by-side comparison with the pre-facelift model.

2023 Tata Harrier & Safari bookings open; now with ADAS-smartselect_20231009101030_instagram.jpg

2023 Tata Harrier & Safari bookings open; now with ADAS-smartselect_20231009101039_instagram.jpg

2023 Tata Harrier & Safari bookings open; now with ADAS-smartselect_20231009101047_instagram.jpg

2023 Tata Harrier & Safari bookings open; now with ADAS-smartselect_20231009101056_instagram.jpg

Source : Autocar India
Venkatesh is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 10:55   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The Harrier facelift gets a comprehensively revised exterior and interior design, a side-by-side comparison with the pre-facelift model.

I think at least in these pictures the older one is the real looker. Now there may be several reasons to it:

1. Exterior Color - At least the one chosen here for the new model is not everyone's cup of tea. Assuming this is not really a problem.

2. The angle of the photograph - the older one just looks so nice from that angle - again may not be a real problem.

3. The front design: IMHO they have ruined the Harrier's front by extending that grille pattern to the bumpers as well. It just took away the macho-ness out of its front and giving it more of an EV look.

4. On interior, I personally can't stand those neon interiors - Novel, but not something one can live with for years.

Last edited by Rodie09 : 9th October 2023 at 10:56. Reason: spelling correction
Rodie09 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 11:13   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I have booked the XUV700 but this definitely throws a spanner. The captain seats in the Safari are an attraction since the car is 90% going to be chauffer driven. The interiors look fresh now and more or less on par with the XUV700.

My biggest priority is the build quality and safety since it will be driven on the highway extensively. How is the Tata build compared to the XUV700? I have heard positive reviews about the XUV.
As an XUV owner I can assure you that XUV is great for passengers. The suspension is pure magic - very sophisticated for the price bracket.

Your decision largely boils down to: Whether the new tech laden features and having ventilated captain seat outweighs better suspension and ride and proven safety.

Also one more thing in Mahindra's favour will be the service center. At least my experience with the NBS at Mumbai has so far been as good as Toyota and Honda. And that's a tall order.
3WiseMen is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 11:27   #306
BHPian

Steering is hydraulic as confirmed by TAAS
loneagl09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:01   #307

SA at KHT Motors Whitefield says steering is Electronic. I guess we will just have to wait till media drives start to get final confirmation.
Another thing he mentioned is that prices are expected by Saturday only with display vehicles coming in by Thursday-Friday.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th October 2023 at 19:02. Reason: Abbreviations
oldcontessafan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:05   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilarkt View Post
4X4 is coming in EV form. They would want to keep some USP to that new investment and it make sense for TATA to not introduce it in ICE.
It must be an awesome feat of engineering to plonk a 4x4 system into a monocoque. That's Defender territory and guess Tata has the technology in house to accomplish that feat, but what about the cost? Plus the Defender was designed as such from scratch, the Safari is a rebadged Gravitas. Having said that, I think they will go for AWD instead and their marketing department with their blitzkrieg will confuse majority of the customers that 4x4 and AWD are synonyms

Last edited by Aditya : 9th October 2023 at 18:51. Reason: Capital letters
Old 9th October 2023, 12:14   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
It must be an awesome feat of engineering to plonk a 4x4 system into a monocoque. That's Defender territory and guess Tata has the technology in house to accomplish that feat, but what about the cost? Plus the Defender was designed as such from scratch, the Safari is a rebadged Gravitas. Having said that, I think they will go for AWD instead and their marketing department with their blitzkrieg will confuse majority of the customers that 4x4 and AWD are synonyms
It may not be that difficult for EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will be far simpler to implement than the hardware of a traditional 4x4 system (in a petrol / diesel car) for sure. Depending on how manufacturers offer AWD / 4x4 on electric cars, it's either an additional motor on the rear axle, or a motor for each of the 4 wheels. I think Tata will go the AWD route with a motor on each axle.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th October 2023 at 18:53. Reason: Quoted post edited
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:25   #310
BHPian

For both front and back exterior redesign, it looks like they have changed the pastic parts along with glass and plastic lights and made it look significantly different. Without changes in metal panels.

Will all colours have the same repeated in the interior colour ?
PreludeSH is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:32   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Comparing the most recent version of Harrier/Safari to the facelift, its mainly incremental positive updates but nothing that I would feel should be deal breaker for ppl who just bought or will buy the older one for better deals. It already had a very decent screen, digital cockpit, most ADAS features, well kitted etc. Infact I would prefer the older version for looks and also the physical buttons on the inside for climate control etc.

But certainly kudos to Tata for taking an existing good product few notches up. If I am in the market today, I would want the mechanicals/engine of XUV700 but looks of Safari
supertinu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:44   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Comparing the most recent version of Harrier/Safari to the facelift, its mainly incremental positive updates ...........
. If I am in the market today, I would want the mechanicals/engine of XUV700 but looks of Safari
Yes, this one has no change in the Powertrain, body shell and most of the features. If this one has no EPS as well, then it's just an incremental update but still worthy to be called facelift. Looks wise, I prefer the current version that I bought in August 23 but I will feel a bit sad to miss out on a couple of things only - airbag extending to 3rd row, powered tailgate.
Old 9th October 2023, 12:51   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Yes, this one has no change in the Powertrain, body shell and most of the features. If this one has no EPS as well, then it's just an incremental update but still worthy to be called facelift. Looks wise, I prefer the current version that I bought in August 23 but I will feel a bit sad to miss out on a couple of things only - airbag extending to 3rd row, powered tailgate.
Yeah, it is a good facelift as such and not just cosmetic mods on the outside given all the changes on the inside too. If you bought it in August then don't fret over it. You probably saved some money. Tech keeps evolving, nothing remains stationary for more than 6 months to 1 year now. So anything you own today will have a better version soon.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th October 2023 at 19:01. Reason: Abbreviations
supertinu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 13:30   #314
BHPian

Quote:
It must be an awesome feat of engineering to plonk a 4x4 system into a monocoque. That's Defender territory and guess TATA has the technology in house to accomplish that feat, but what about the cost?
XUV7OO has a AWD power train while built on a monocoque chassis. Furthermore, I do not think it's a chassis limitation, since this chassis while being used in LR discovery platform had AWD. The same engine in Jeep compass also has an AWD. I think it's primarily the power train issue- where as of now, it's not compatible with an AWD system in its current alignment.

I'd buy the AWD safari as my next purchase over the XUV7OO or Compass.
LordSharan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 15:09   #315
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
It must be an awesome feat of engineering to plonk a 4x4 system into a monocoque. That's Defender territory and guess TATA has the technology in house to accomplish that feat.

Maruti Grand Vitara is an AWD (both older and present one)
Toyota Hyryder is an AWD
Older SX4 was an AWD (abroad)
Suzuki Ignis is an AWD (abroad)
Honda CRV is an AWD
Hyundai Tucson is an AWD

Audi A4 is an AWD.

Even closed home, Harrier's cousin, the compass trailhawk is an AWD.

Hate to break this to you, but putting AWD in a monocoque is neither a massive engineering feat, nor did Tata/Land Rover break any new ground with this.
Haze is online now   (22) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks