Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2023, 13:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Creta no longer gets a 1.4L turbo-petrol engine

Hyundai appears to have discontinued the 1.4-litre turbo-petrol engine. It is no longer listed on the brand’s official website and hasn’t been mentioned in the brochure either.

Hyundai Creta no longer gets a 1.4L turbo-petrol engine-hyundai_creta_knight_edition_1651665092755_1651665092952.jpg

There had been reports suggesting that Hyundai was unlikely to update the 1.4-litre turbo-petrol engine to comply with BS6 Stage II regulations. Instead, it is said that an RDE-compliant 1.5-litre turbo could be on the cards. That being said, there won’t be a turbo-petrol option available on the Creta for now.

Hyundai Creta no longer gets a 1.4L turbo-petrol engine-screenshot_20230207184440.jpg

Hyundai launched the 2023 Creta earlier this month. The SUV is currently available with 1.5-litre petrol and diesel engines only. The 1.5-litre petrol engine develops 113 BHP @ 6,300 rpm and 143.8 Nm @ 4,500 rpm, which is paired with a 6-speed IVT, while the 1.5-litre diesel puts out 114 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1,500-2,750 rpm.

Both engines are now RDE-compliant and E20 fuel ready. The 2023 range also gets an integrated starter generator (ISG) with an Idle Start & Go function that is said to improve fuel economy in heavy traffic.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 11th February 2023 at 13:11.
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 14:48   #2
Kln
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta no longer gets a 1.4L turbo-petrol engine

With tons of problems on the 1.4 turbo DCT variant, I'm not surprised at this. Creta will do just fine - if I read correctly, a major chunk of the sales come from the diesel variants anyway.
Old 11th February 2023, 14:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
With tons of problems on the 1.4 turbo DCT variant, I'm not surprised at this. Creta will do just fine - if I read correctly, a major chunk of the sales come from the diesel variants anyway.
To be sure, the problems were with the DCT transmission and not the engine itself, because the manual 1.4 turbo on the Seltos was just fine !
fhdowntheline is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 15:14   #4
REN
BHPian

Quote:
‘Tons’ is an exaggeration. Sure there have been DCT failures on Creta and Seltos, but I feel they have been fairly low compared to DQ200s, at least so far. The 1.4 TGDi in itself has been trouble-free. I have a 1.4 DCT that just crossed 65k kms and there have been no issues.
REN is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 16:04   #5
BHPian

Yes mostly we hear that DCT has issues and that is why I finally bought IVT. It is fine for city traffic. But after doing some long highway drives I realised that that IVT (CVT of Hyundai) is not at all fun to drive. Its actually pain to drive. Overtaking or acceleration is hard and needs to be well planned. I always drive it is Sports mode. Normal & Eco mode are useless.

I feel Hyundai has tuned the 1.5L NA engine in a way that it controls the RPM which in turn makes the sudden acceleration restricted. I earlier had the Creta 1.6L NA petrol and it was gem of an engine and was very powerful.

I think now the only option for Creta seems to be Diesel. But for people like me who has very less yearly mileage, diesel is expensive.
Old 11th February 2023, 18:18   #6
BHPian

In the technical specifications section of the same brochure, we can see the specs of 1.4 turbo petrol engine. Also, prices for the same are still there in their price list. IMO you just stumbled upon a mistake made by Hyundai in their Creta brochure.
Old 11th February 2023, 18:21   #7
BHPian

The 1.4L TGDI is being discontinued because it does not meet the new emission norms. It is being replaced by the new 1.5L TGDI which is being developed to meet the new RDE norms. The DCT will be back too. We have both the Creta and Seltos 1.4T with DCT in the extended family and both have done over 1.3lac kms with any issues so far.
drhoneycake is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 18:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
IMO TONS is a gross overstatement! Sure any dry clutch DCT is bound to give some problems, but considering the number of DCT cars Hyundai/Kia sells, the problematic one's are just too minimal, compared to the DQ200.
07CR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 19:05   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
The 1.4L TGDI is being discontinued because it does not meet the new emission norms. It is being replaced by the new 1.5L TGDI which is being developed to meet the new RDE norms. The DCT will be back too. We have both the Creta and Seltos 1.4T with DCT in the extended family and both have done over 1.3lac kms with any issues so far.
I can concur with this as we have a Venue SX with DCT which has clocked 25000 kms and is completely trouble free so far in the last three years
drift2race is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 20:08   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The last I checked, the petrol DCT variants had a higher share in sales of Seltos and Creta, followed by diesel and then NA petrol. Maybe it's worth a recheck.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 13:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The last I checked, the petrol DCT variants had a higher share in sales of Seltos and Creta, followed by diesel and then NA petrol. Maybe it's worth a recheck.
The DCT sales in creta never really crossed 5% of the total sales and that too was only the top end whereas for seltos this number has been at 20~25% and major contributions coming from the Manual Options and the mid variant, and creta never had it.

But I see things to change with the facelift next year with 1.5 Turbo being offered in both manual & dct combinations.
Motorhead23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 09:31   #12

Hyundai is most likely going to introduce the 1.5L turbo GDi for the Creta as well. The engine options listed on the Hyundai website for the new Verna have no mention of the diesel, though.
madhavabeer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 23:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextor View Post
Yes mostly we hear that DCT has issues and that is why I finally bought IVT. It is fine for city traffic. But after doing some long highway drives I realised that that IVT (CVT of Hyundai) is not at all fun to drive. Its actually pain to drive. Overtaking or acceleration is hard and needs to be well planned. I always drive it is Sports mode. Normal & Eco mode are useless.
I own a 2021 Petrol IVT seltos and it doesn't have driving modes, I have also driven 2021 DCT seltos. I personally do not agree with you that IVT seltos is a pain to drive. I think power is available on tap and there is very little lag when you suddenly press the accelerator. The DCT one may be a bit more fun to drive but then you also sacrifice a lot on the mileage front especially in city driving. Apart from seltos I have also driven a honda Diesel CVT and it was also great. CVT in seltos isn't a letdown especially if you drive with a light foot.
Ranabegins is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks