Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you want to see current and new Tata SUV's in 4WD option?
Yes 179 90.86%
No 18 9.14%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2023, 22:59   #16

Re: Do you want to see Tata SUVs with the AWD / 4x4 option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Tata used to offer a 4×4 version of the Sumo specifically for the Indian army.
I recently saw a Sumo 4x4 Army Ambulance in a scrapyard in Leh. My friend was contemplating buying it and turning it into a campervan to hire out to tourists. But he stalled the idea due to lack of funds.
inmotioninc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 00:50   #17
BHPian

I remember a discussion here on team BHP long ago about how manufacturers are not seeing any sale in 4x4 variants. Perhaps it was 3-4 years ago I believe. And therefore manufacturers were stopping 4x4 variants in all their models. Now look how things have changed. Big corporations are always one or two steps behind the market sentiments, very very few get the timing right. It's like investing in that hot stock, as soon as you purchase it starts dipping and as soon as you sell, it starts going up. This is what happened with Tata. As soon as their market research and their variant booking numbers indicated there is no demand for 4x4 in comes the new Thar with mega blockbuster. Then comes the Jimny! I hope Tata will be agile in bringing in a proper truck this time
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
As soon as their market research and their variant booking numbers indicated there is no demand for 4x4 in comes the new Thar with mega blockbuster. Then comes the Jimny! I hope Tata will be agile in bringing in a proper truck this time
I think the 4x4 sales zoomed because there was no 4x2 variant on sale. Now with 4x2 on sale, I think most of the sales may shift soon.

We need to watch out for the trend that should be out in the next 6 months. May apply to Jimny as well.

For TATA, or any company to succeed in selling 4x4 is, sell the vehicle exclusively only in 4x4 variant.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 2nd February 2023 at 11:14.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
I think the 4x4 sales zoomed because there was no 4x2 variant on sale. Now with 4x2 on sale, I think most of the sales may shift soon.
I think the 4x4 sales of the Thar will still be high, as 4x4 is the character of the vehicle. We can’t change that. Mahindra surely knows how to market and brand their products at the right time.

Quote:
For TATA, or any company to succeed in selling 4x4 is, sell the vehicle exclusively only in 4x4 variant.
Tata would not be able to afford that. There is no specific model in the current Tata line up which suits the only 4x4 category unless they come up with something new, and which can strongly compete with the Thar 4x4.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 13:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
In fact Tata Motors tried this with Aria. They launched the 4x4 version only and after understanding that product is not flying, they launched the cheaper 4x2 version. Also, due to this downgrading, Aria lost its safety rating/ crash test worthiness.

If the vehicle is an aspirational vehicle, people won't bother whether it's a 4x4 or 4x2 till the time they start thinking about it from a practical or usage perspective.
Slushmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 14:45   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushmaster View Post
after understanding that product is not flying, they launched the cheaper 4x2 version. Also, due to this downgrading, Aria lost its safety rating/ crash test worthiness.
The Aria flopped due to various other reasons. Also it was not just the removal of AWD (200kgs), but a few other decontenting lead to the lowered crash test worthiness.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 15:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
The Aria flopped due to various other reasons. Also it was not just the removal of AWD (200kgs), but a few other decontenting lead to the lowered crash test worthiness.
I know there were other reasons for the bad show of Aria, my point was to let DRPSREDDY know that TATA has already tried selling an exclusive 4x4 version. Also, the downgrading from 4x4 to 4x2 was one of the primary reason as the cross-members supporting the additional hardware were removed in addition to other features.
Slushmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 19:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I know there were other reasons for the bad show of Aria, my point was to let DRPSREDDY know that TATA has already tried selling an exclusive 4x4 version. Also, the downgrading from 4x4 to 4x2 was one of the primary reason as the cross-members supporting the additional hardware were removed in addition to other features.
Not only TATA but TOYOTA too is not able to push out many 4x4 vehicles.
Look at Fortuner for example. 4X4 variants are so scanty that just a few are made every month coz there is almost no demand and you need to pre book and will be delivered only after 3 months minimum. My friend booked one and had to wait for 4-5 months before their dealer found one lying in a Chennai dealer and got it shipped to Hyderabad. Similarly was Safari. Very less movement causing customers to pre-book for the variant.

Similar problems with Scorpio 4x4 (old gen) and now AWD variant of XUV700.

ARIA was itself a slow mover at 22L was steeply priced. Now HEXA was too launched in 4x4 variant. So how many did TATA push them out. Again same answer. Scanty.

Indian don't want a SUV for off-roading but only for Macho Presence. So they will only buy 4x2 as Form will always stay ahead of factor.

As I said we need another 6-8 months to get a clarity on how many 4x4s will Mahindra manage to push out of the shop floor compared to 4x2.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 2nd February 2023 at 19:17.
Old 2nd February 2023, 19:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Not only TATA but TOYOTA too is not able to push out many 4x4 vehicles.
Look at Fortuner for example. 4X4 variants are so scanty that just a few are made every month coz there is almost no demand and you need to pre book and will be delivered only after 3 months minimum. My friend booked one and had to wait for 4-5 months before their dealer found one lying in a Chennai dealer and got it shipped to Hyderabad. Similarly was Safari. Very less movement causing customers to pre-book for the variant.
My experience is very different from what you have mentioned on the 4x4 side. In my society there are 8 Fortuners[2016-2022] and 7 of them are 4wd. In Chandigarh and Gurgaon, most of the Fortuners that I notice are 4wd models. But Fortuner is an exception because I rarely see a 4wd/AWD version of Scorpio, XUV, Storme etc.

I also drive a 2021 4x4 AT Fortuner and it got delivered to me after a week of launch. Same with my Safari Storme, it was the first 4wd delivered by the dealer in Chandigarh and that too within 10-15 days of the launch.

You are absolutely right about Thar, last week my friend went to book a RWD Thar and to our surprise 4wd was readily available in 3 colors and there was a waiting of 8 months for the RWD version. Maybe some tactics by Mahindra to push the stock of 4wds or to create a fake demand for RWD.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Slushmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 19:59   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are absolutely right about Thar, last week my friend went to book a RWD Thar and to our surprise 4wd was readily available in 3 colors and there was a waiting of 8 months for the RWD version. Maybe some tactics by Mahindra to push the stock of 4wds or to create a fake demand for RWD.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Thar has been moving between 3500-4000 units per month in the 4WD form so far before the launch of 2WD!

2WD is on back order or wait list here in Bangalore also, 4WD is immediately available - they are 8-9L rupees apart!! Yes 2WD is perhaps just to get someone to come to the showroom looking at the price and then sell them a 20+ L vehicle , it happened already to someone I know
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 22:17   #26
BHPian

@Mods, please remove if considered off topic
---------------------------------------------------

My woe is that while a decent 4x4 IS available in the TATA stable, I cannot buy it with a white plate in Maharashtra due to homologation

I write about the humble Yodha 4x4 (and of course the Mahindra Pik Up 4x4). All the manufacturer needs to do is add a diff lock and these trucks can go anywhere.

Most 4x4 owners just want a 'butch/macho/dadagiri' vehicle, while a few of us just want to go off road in a capable vehicle.

Was looking forward to an affordable 4x4 but even the Jimny is likely to be around 15 lakh on the road.

Homologation needs to be rationalised. Prices will come down if weekend warriors are given affordable steeds for their off road dreams.
mygodbole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 22:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
@Mods, please remove if considered off topic
---------------------------------------------------

My woe is that while a decent 4x4 IS available in the TATA stable, I cannot buy it with a white plate in Maharashtra due to homologation

I write about the humble Yodha 4x4 (and of course the Mahindra Pik Up 4x4). All the manufacturer needs to do is add a diff lock and these trucks can go anywhere.

Homologation needs to be rationalised. Prices will come down if weekend warriors are given affordable steeds for their off road dreams.
Only 2 current vehicles in your category are ISUZU D MAX and TOYOTA HILUX Pick up trucks. You will get them in 4x4 option.

TATA has shelved the XENON that was available with 4x4 limited slip differential variant.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 22:33   #28
BHPian

Answered NO
Not because I don't want Tata to develop 4x4s but because the poll question itself is a bit too simplistic.
It is my opinion that there is a difference in perspective between us as petrolheads (TeamBHP) and the general public, which wants a flashy car which will give them all creature comforts and look menacing on road.

What actual percentage of the total car buyers today will actually use the 4x4 off road capabilities of their vehicle? While I am guessing, it cannot be over 5%.

Making efforts to cater to this niche segment is no longer viable in this very quickly changing world of automotive technologies. And hence, Tata should concentrate on AWDs which are EV based rather than ICE based, and hence my answer...
kosjam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 22:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

I don't know what's all this song and dance about a 4×4? Hope we are aware that 95% of all Indian terrain can be crossed by a hatchback, leave alone a SUV. In the remaining 5% about 2/3% may need a high GC car. It's only about 1 % of our terrain which need an all wheel drive. A dedicated 4×4 unit will be about 2/300 kgs heavier and lugging all that weight makes no sense. By the way the Kong wheel base 4×4 like the Fortuner or ScorpioN get stuck on proper offroad trails due to their sheer size.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd February 2023 at 19:23. Reason: Capitalizing as required (I in India).
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 00:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I don't know what's all this song and dance about a 4×4? Hope we are aware that 95% of all Indian terrain can be crossed by a hatchback, leave alone a SUV. In the remaining 5% about 2/3% may need a high GC car. It's only about 1 % of our terrain which need an all wheel drive.
Absolutely right Why people buy camping gear in India, there are hotels in the remotest corners of India. Even for the places where there are no decent hotels or lodges, people can just use sticks and canvas cloth for shelter.

Why are people buying DSLR cameras these days, almost 99% of photos can be clicked by mobile phone cameras. Why spend lakhs just capturing that 1%..

Why are people buying fast cars with high BHP and torque numbers in India, when the cheapest car in India can reach 120KMPH which is the highest legal speed.

The song and dance of 4x4 happens when the owner wants to go off road and it is not for everyone.

Sorry if my post offends you, I don't want to disrespect any fellow Bhpian. But, the reason TBHP exists is because people love automobiles, fast cars, jeeps, sedans, family cars and those 4x4s that take us to those 1% places.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd February 2023 at 19:23. Reason: Quoted post is edited. Thanks.
Slushmaster is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks