Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2024, 17:25   #121
BHPian

re: 120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh

Alright, seen and read a lot about this car. But now I wonder, why this car looks supremely dated?

Is it the brochure, colour, graphics combination or something else?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th June 2024 at 16:08. Reason: Spacing and formatting
DivyanshuDiv is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 17:31   #122
BHPian

re: 120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithishsaba View Post
Tata being Tata, launching yet another incomplete car with only an MT in a market that is moving forward with ATs.
Agree! TATA should have launched the car with an AT option as well. The entire market is moving towards AT, and there would be a market if TATA introduced AT. The absence of rear disc brakes is another miss, as suggested by others.
It's Magic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 17:37   #123
BHPian

Why didn’t they launch it in all-black and call it the Altroz Racer-Dark? That would have made it easier to make it a ‘sleeper’ Altroz. I remember seeing the photos of the black Racer earlier in this thread.

I hope the white stripes are not painted over, so removing the stripes remains an option. A full body satin black wrap would look good.

Am very interested to see the Team-bhp review of this car to take a call !
SchnelleKurven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 17:39   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

The only differentiating factor in design apart from my 1st gen Altroz diesel and the Altroz Racer is black wrap on the bonnet and a couple of ugly stripes over them.

120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh-20230426_101657.jpg

Tata should have atleast given a new alloy wheel design, upsized the tyres to 195/55 R16.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 17:44   #125
Senior - BHPian

Let's see how it drives. The underpinnings are strong. If the ride and handling tuning has been done well and the Racer comes within 90% of the handling finesse of the now defunct Tiago JTP, it would be money's worth.

Which brings me to wonder? Imagine the juicy bits & the tasty livery Jayem would have put in had they developed this vehicle under the JTP banner. Tata had such a wonderful product in the Tiago JTP. They could have actually turned JTP into an iconic motorsport & tuning brand/arm/wing of theirs, much along the lines of BMW' "M" division, Alpina, Fiat's Abarth, MINI's JCW variants etc. Sad, that corporate shenanigans had to put an end to JTP.

Hope this vehicle goes & handles well, notwithstanding, the laughingly ridiculous livery and variant name!
arjab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 18:40   #126
BHPian

Tata is extremely allergic to two things:
  • AWD/4WD
  • Automatic

I am actually still not over the fact that they currently have cars with automatics on their sales roster. Original Safari never had an AT and I bet that it would have even more takers if it did.
For Hexa, you could either have AT or AWD and not both. Beggars cannot be choosers, right?
The first Harrier (2019 beta model) did not have an AT.

On the other hand, the 2008 Scorpio had an AT and it was a proper 6 speed transmission (not a 3 or 4 speed like Maruti would prefer).
They might as well get rid of all AT cars because who's buying them, right (as per Tata's market research)?

Side note: It makes me irritated that an Altroz is getting a 360 camera but there's not one on Scorpio-N. Seriously, they could have cut down on the adrenox/alexa trash and given us 2 more cameras.
vredesbyrd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 21:22   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
Pics of the Altroz Racer:
What an abomination of a hot hatch. They failed the basic test of good looks. The front is ungainly, with the blacked out bonnet. Seems like the designers just copy pasted the bonnet from the black Altroz, and decided to call it a day!

What a way to showcase a concept. Dead on arrival in my opinion. Such cars are also judged by looks by enthusiasts. On the contrary, just look at how awesome the paint scheme on the i20 N-Line looks.

Last edited by wheelspinner : 2nd June 2024 at 21:25.
wheelspinner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 09:22   #128
Senior - BHPian

I really hope they launch a variant with no exterior 'look at me' additions and offer the engine and other goodies as it is. There are people who will not mind spending for extra power and gizmos, but dont want the boy racer looks.

The Nexon engine has already been paired with the DCA. Dont know how much of an effort and engineering is involved, but an Altroz Turbo petrol + DCA will find suitors for sure.

Our market is evolving, people have begun to appreciate lots of features in small packages. No parking space, ease of driving are a few reasons. There might be few such buyers, but why let a prospective customer leave the showroom and buy a rival?
ashutoshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 11:15   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I really hope they launch a variant with no exterior 'look at me' additions and offer the engine and other goodies as it is. There are people who will not mind spending for extra power and gizmos, but dont want the boy racer looks.
Completely in alignment , the real deal is a ‘sleeper’.

I honestly want an all black Altroz with the nexon engine and gearbox with no trace of the white stripes and the name Racer.
SchnelleKurven is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 11:56   #130
BHPian

This is a good attempt by tata to take on the I20 N-line. But why no AT in a market like India with all the traffic woes. This car will primarily be targeted in cities but without AT it won't sell as much as the potential it has.
Why Tata why
Jordygt500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 12:10   #131
BHPian

As long as the "show" is in sync with the "go", this seems to be a great proposition!
Old 3rd June 2024, 13:37   #132
BHPian

R3 gets iRA mobile app connectivity as a premium feature. As a Safari user, I can confirm that iRA app is amongst the most useless app on offer among Indian cars.
TheBigV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 15:03   #133
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

iTurbo variant is discontinued. Looks they'll make Racer as standard for Turbo models.

iRA is useful if we find worthy with its features. Can keep a track of my car if given to anybody else. Geofencing, burglar alerts, drive pattern indicators etc. It's 3500rs PA which is just 1 tankful fuel.
Old 3rd June 2024, 15:11   #134
BHPian

Tata bringing a pocket knife to a laser war.
-The standard Altroz looks way, way better.
-Tata doing Tata things to the "T" - no automatic. So typically Tata!
-The i20 n-line does very small numbers, but it is realistically the only true hot hatch left in the market.
-Add to that the i20 looks and feels proper sporty.
-The Koreans have given the i20 kit to match the excellent looks.
-Have to commend Hyundai for 100% effort and condemn Tata for 10% effort. I mean a 9 year old can do better sticker jobs on an ambassador for crying out loud!

Prospective buyers - just get the regular diesel manual, at least you will enjoy the car for 10 years (or 15) depending upon where you reside. This car will bump up the i20 n-line sales by a good 25-30% I believe.
John316_WRC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 15:46   #135
BHPian

Now I hope they dont discontinue the iTurbo variant. Was in high hopes for them to bring the HU, 6 airbags and related product updates (but not the touch panels for AC) in regular iTurbo, so it would be a worthy product for me to replace my ageing beater. But Racer looks too gaudy, and practically not that much of a difference over the iTurbo in terms of power figures. High chances they might discontinue the iTurbo in hopes of selling the racer more (Racer will do more numbers if the remove the gaudy paint job and add rear disc brakes)

And that ugly gear shift lever head which reminds me of Tata trucks and buses from childhood days. Not the kind of nostalgia I'd want. The current lever in altroz looks just perfect!

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 3rd June 2024 at 15:47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks