Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2024, 14:01   #91
BHPian

re: 120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh

Racer sounds amateurish like Punch sounded lame when it was revealed. Will be interesting to see the market response.
Bhokal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 14:05   #92
BHPian

re: 120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
in terms of reliability, the Altroz, Punch and Nexon have been selling nearly 30-35k cars a month and i dont think there is any report of quality or reliability issue.
There is an ongoing issue with TATA cars where the Oil and Coolant are mixing. A post was made on Team-BHP regarding the same, my cousin experienced this with his Altroz recently (The car ran for 25,000KM).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ror-story.html (A Tata Nexon warranty horror story)

Last edited by Aditya : 29th May 2024 at 16:35. Reason: Link fixed
chiekennugget is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 15:14   #93

This engine is no where near to "Racing DNA" that Tata is trying to pitch it in. The most unrefined engine in the market right now. I am using a nexon 2022 Petrol so i know how it behaves. Power is not linear and flywheel affect while downshifting.
yzfaddict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 11:25   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfaddict View Post
This engine is no where near to "Racing DNA" that Tata is trying to pitch it in. The most unrefined engine in the market right now. I am using a nexon 2022 Petrol so i know how it behaves. Power is not linear and flywheel affect while downshifting.
You get some, you lose some. You get 5 star safety in tradeoff for reliability and service centre experience. And Tata was never known to make great engines. The diesel engine which they used to have in the Indica, had a very narrow powerband between 2000RPM to 3000RPM. Below 2000 RPM it would feel lethargic, and above 3000 RPM it would feel struggling.

Things have somewhat improved after the introduction of the 1st generation Nexon, and now they make decent engines. And from what I've heared, the problem is because they use an older indirect injection technology even in their turbocharged models. The new engine with direct injection (TGDI), which will be first introduced in the Curvv, will supposedly be free of these problems. Till then we have to make peace with what we get. A powerful car with questionable safety, or a structurally safe car with a somewhat good engine.

And there is no denying the fact that after the Polo left Indian shores, there is hardly a premium hatchback which has a decent mix of power and practicality. At least Tata is trying. Only time will tell how the market recieves it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th June 2024 at 16:05. Reason: Spacing for readability
Mitadru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 12:47   #95
BHPian

Did you say new engine + Tata + free of problems all in one sentence

I'm sorry but all I have is

The altroz is struggling and has already seen it's best day. No one needs a tacky wannabe hot hatch in the age of i20 N lines and even the 3XO now. Between the two I've mentioned, where does the Tata fit in? Will they launch the car for under 7.5L? If not, and even if so, I'm sure it's dead out of the gate (day 1.)

I can't think of anyone who bought the zest back in the day and was happy with their new launch engines. I really can't get why the racer can't have a hybrid series motor - it'll fill a niche and give the much needed torque boost assist before the turbo spools up. Throwing in a DCT is not the solution. The 3XO's transmission is supposed to lock in much quicker than regular torque converters if the marketing and technical slides are to be believed, which sort of negates the extra cost and risk of owning a DCA/DCT/DSG!
wooka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 13:18   #96
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Did you say new engine + Tata + free of problems all in one sentence

I'm sorry but all I have is

As someone who is keeping a keen eye out for the Altroz Racer, let me add a couple of points.

1) The Altroz engine + gearbox will be the exact same as already in Nexon. So it's not a new engine.

2) I have had a dreadful experience with hyundai in the past. Multiple clutch master + slave cylinder failures. So much so that I now refuse to buy any car with a Hydraulic clutch. It's now electric clutch for me, or no go.

3) If, you, for a moment, ignore my blind hatred for Hyundai, I would consider an Altroz Racer if it comprehensively outperforms the N line, both in Handling and Braking (Performance, I expect both to be similar, as both have 118 BHP).

4) Ofcourse if the Racer doesn't outperform the 3XO, Tata may as well wave goodbye to the hope that Altroz sales will pick up.

Conclusion is, another 118 BHP hot hatch is welcome, but the proof of the pudding lies in the eating.

Let's not write off a new entrant before even trying it out.
Haze is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 13:19   #97
Senior - BHPian

TML badly needs a new line of petrol engines to be competitive in the gasoline segment. They were working for a long time on a series of Gasoline Direct Injection petrol's of varying displacements but we do not hear much of that project now.

The Altroz Racer looks like it will carry over the Nexon's petrol engine. The latest iteration of the Nexon indirect injection turbo petrol is much better compared to the initial BS-4 avatar in which it was launched. Power delivery is smoother, fuel mapping is vastly improved and that annoying jerk during "tip-in & tip-out" has been eliminated to a great extent.

However it is still not as smooth or vibe free as its Japanese and Korean counterparts. It still has considerable "flywheel effect", the revs take a long time to fall, and hence robs the enthusiastic driver of the pleasure of a quick "revv-matched-throttle-blipping-downshift".

The engine also feels a bit coarse in the mid range compared to the Citroen EB-series direct injection turbo petrol powering the Citroen C3 Turbo. The benchmark for small displacement turbo petrol engine continues to be, in my personal opinion, the slightly laggy but brilliant Ford EcoBoost 1.0L "Fox" series turbo-direct injection petrol.

Hope TML folks have shortened at least the first 3 ratios for some spiffy performance. The Altroz is a handsome car and bright body colours to go with the enhanced power and torque would bode well for the image of the car. I sincerely hope TML desists from getting out the rather tacky and be-striped orange dual tone paintwork which looks, frankly, very cheesy. Also in our country where ambient temperatures hover above 35 degrees centigrade of 9 to 10 months in a year, it is better not to have a black, heat absorbing roof panel.

Anyways, all the best to TML. Hope this sells.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 5th June 2024 at 16:06. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 13:25   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
As someone who is keeping a keen eye out for the Altroz Racer, let me add a couple of points.

1) The Altroz engine + gearbox will be the exact same as already in Nexon. So it's not a new engine.
Sorry I was alluding to the bit about the Curvv. Not the Altroz.

Hydraulic clutch, well, pretty flawless experience with MnM so far. I've done about 1.5L kms in 4 cars.

The 3XO out paces the engine, petrol v/s petrol, either engines. The Altroz and the nexon are almost the same weight. The odds don't look too good. Plus 6 airbags standard and 4 disc brakes = I don't see the Altroz launching significantly under the 3XO and thus, not a hit.

I'm not writing it off completely (TaMo, blow my mind by launching it at 6.5L), but the odds look stacked against it. I can't think of how they can match the 3XO in driving /body dynamics given the wider spring placement, wheelbase advantage and everything else we saw on the 3XO launch.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 15:23   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
The odds don't look too good. Plus 6 airbags standard and 4 disc brakes = I don't see the Altroz launching significantly under the 3XO and thus, not a hit. I'm not writing it off completely (TaMo, blow my mind by launching it at 6.5L), but the odds look stacked against it. I can't think of how they can match the 3XO in driving /body dynamics given the wider spring placement, wheelbase advantage and everything else we saw on the 3XO launch.
Why are we comparing this (instead of Nexon) with the XUV3XO? These are overlapping segments, one can have a fully-loaded premium hatchback at the price of a mid-spec compact SUV. While the space and footprint is similar, their handling characteristics are poles apart due to the difference in body shell and raised ground clearance. Shorter wheelbase and lower kerb weight also plays an important role. The Altroz is already quite competent in terms of handling. You won't be able to push the XUV3XO, or any other vehicle from the segment, the same way around corners. That's the whole point of hot hatches.

And I don't think that Tata is after volumes with the Altroz Racer. They are just putting together what they already have, like Hyundai once did with the Nios Turbo. Tata can perhaps even get away with a premium pricing as the target audience will be a niche group of driving enthusiasts, unlike the XUV3XO which has bigger shoes to fill. I believe the correct comparison point should be the i20 N Line. While the Hyundai might be mechanically superior, the Altroz is neck-and-neck in most aspects and better in some.

Quote:
The Altroz and the nexon are almost the same weight.
Current Altroz is around 1000 kg while Nexon weighs over 1200 kg. Even with the turbo engine, I'm guessing the gap will be at least 100 kgs.
self_driven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 18:38   #100
BHPian

I wish it had launched with the newer TGDi 1.2 , but that engine seems to be not yet be ready for production. Altroz already had sorted handling and with those killer looks I am sure it will sell well provided that Tata has much better colour schemes than this dreaded looking orange with stripes that looks like a 2000s aftermarket job
V0id2003 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 18:41   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiekennugget View Post
There is an ongoing issue with TATA cars where the Oil and Coolant are mixing. A post was made on Team-BHP regarding the same, my cousin experienced this with his Altroz recently (The car ran for 25,000KM).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ror-story.html (A Tata Nexon warranty horror story)
Interesting, thank you for sharing.

Recently, my colleague had to shell out 30k on his petrol AMT for the same issue; coolant and oil mixing , leading to engine overheating and AC cooling failure.

The engine head gasket was changed at just 35k km of gentle driving. That this coolant-oil mix issue can also be due to oil cooler failure is a new learning.

I am in the market for Altroz , but after multiple attempts have given up on even test driving the I turbo variant. Guess there is now the option of the so-called ‘Racer’.

They should have called it the Altroz ‘Warmer’; it’s a warm version of a strong but neglected platform that needs warming up.

In my personal opinion, a total body colour wrap (black?) and badge delete is warranted to hide the boy racer colour combination
SchnelleKurven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 19:25   #102
BHPian

A new teaser is out. Details here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7jReYhtUcz/?hl=en
Torque_Curve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 19:42   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
Dated and over done exteriors and interiors of the Altroz aside, in my opinion Hyundai i20 is a better product in every aspect including after sales and reliability.
I own the i20 N Line DCT and have covered over 16k kms on it in last 14 months. I recently had a chance to drive my friend’s Altroz iTurbo Manual of near similar age but just 3k kms in Bangalore in complete city roads and amongst the luxurious pot holes and traffic in Koramangala, and the evergreen construction in progress roads, I think this was for the metro, around Whitefield.

The Altroz iTurbo wins all the three departments: ride, comfort and handling in every way. The seat was comfortable, power on tap pretty similar, and steering feel was much to my liking. Added to the whole package is the 5-star safety rating.

I almost thought of switching to the Altroz Turbo Manual/Auto. You’d be surprised how much more planted the Altroz is. If I was not looking for a powerful automatic hatch last year, but a manual one,y greens would’ve gone to TATA (either this or Nexon).

That said, the design, as designs go, is pretty subjective and polarising. Interiors need a serious thought, along with tweaked exterior.

I like the orange with stripes idea, even though it is a bit cheesy and little loud. The final design after launch will be something to look at

Last edited by SixPistons : 29th May 2024 at 19:50.
SixPistons is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 20:39   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I agree that “racer” sounds amateurish, they should have come up with something better.
RCR sounds better in my opinion. They already have a 3 letter acronym, the NRG. This would have been inline with it.
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 09:20   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Honestly, this will be faster than the 1.2 turbo petrol Altroz racer.

120 BHP 260 Nm puts it even ahead of Polo 1.6 GT TDI.
This will have only 170 NM and not 260 NM. 260 NM is what the Diesel 1.5 Ltr pumps out in the Nexon. While this will be faster than the Petrol Nexon and the existing Altroz iTurbo, it may not be as fast as the Nexon Diesel.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks