Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2024, 14:36   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: 120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
That silver looks like nardo grey in pics.
Nice catch. I reckon this is the same grey offered in Nexon. This shade looks amazing in person, almost like a custom wrap. Definitely my colour of choice from the available options.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 14:50   #212
BHPian

Re: 120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh

White color looks good and this would be my top choice. Any idea, whether the stripes on the hood and roof is paint or wrap?
Old 11th June 2024, 15:25   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0id2003 View Post
Altroz is such a pretty looking car , I hope Tata realise and make those stripes optional. An automatic would be really appreciated
Tata has this habit of being very shy of having higher sticker prices.

To make Altroz Racer look cheaper than i20 nline, they have skipped having DCA mated to the 1.2 turbo. Now, the Altroz Racer looks so much VFM than the Nline, but in reality Nline N6 & N8 manuals are very closely priced with Altroz Racer R1 & R3 respectively.

Tata should have given

120 PS 170 Nm 1.2L turbo with DCA
&
115 PS 260 Nm 1.5L turbo diesel with MT / DCA

But these iterations would increase the sticker price to 14L exshowroom, which Tata somehow is not willing to do.

Will there be buyers to justify the extra variants/engine combos?

It shouldn't matter. Just look at VW/Skoda, they keep trying inspite of failing to garner any decent sales month after month.

I am also wondering why Tata has dropped the dark edition from Racer line up. Would have been the most chosen color if it was provided.

120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh-untitled1.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 11th June 2024 at 15:28.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 15:46   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
Are we supposed to get excited about the skid marks on the curve? Really, Tata thinks we are in 1998 and they're launching the Indica.

How difficult would it have been to actually get the Altroz Racer to drift and take a pic of it?
Here you go officer!

On another note, There are some drive reviews already out in Tamil youtube channels, where they are stating that the steering dynamics is even better and engine is very peppy too.

And mainly the car always stays in sport mode, that is there is no driving modes. We've seen the sports mode in Nexon being explosive, and Altroz weights lesser, so better performance?

But they also say 0-100 is in the mid 11-sec mark, okay-ish for TATA?

And the Diesel avatar - even though not popular on the market, has always been a performance-efficiency-practicality package as we see in Prassanna's.

But man! that Nexon diesel tune on Altroz with 6-speed would have been a drooling option for many!

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2024 at 13:48. Reason: Please share only English YouTube videos, thanks
lostf1talent is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 15:55   #215
BHPian

Quote:
l
Tata should have given

120 PS 170 Nm 1.2L turbo with DCA
&
115 PS 260 Nm 1.5L turbo diesel with MT / DCA

But these iterations would increase the sticker price to 14L exshowroom, which Tata somehow is not willing to do.

I am also wondering why Tata has dropped the dark edition from Racer line up. Would have been the most chosen color if it was provided.

Attachment 2615660
Agreed , 120 bhp with a Dual Clutch would be really good. This dark edition render looks absolutely drool worthy, god I wish they start working on this.
V0id2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 21:28   #216
Senior - BHPian

Those stripes look less of a rally stripe and more of a "Tikka/Teeka". Half hearted just like rest of the car.

That car deserves more.
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 07:59   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Disclaimer: This is totally a personal opinion and this comparison may not make sense to people who buy cars with image & segments in their mind. And I absolutely agree the 1.0 TSI is an excellent motor, and if I may call it that - Superior than 1.2L turbo petrol of Tata. The following opinion is from my perspective as a user who has daily highway usage involving driving at consistent triple digit speeds on majorly great highways.

I have been eyeing the Virtus 1.0 MT for sometime now as a replacement for my Altroz diesel(which I absolutely love though). Basically because it was as much fun to drive (a bit faster to 100kmph too if thats what your idea of fun is), as safe, but had better NVH, got a 6 speed MT which I missed in Altroz diesel & looked gorgeous.

Now with the launch of Altroz Racer, If the 1.2L turbo petrol BS6.2 is anywhere as refined at 6th gear 100 kmph cruising as the 1.0 TSI, I personally think Altroz Racer is an ideal replacement. I am hopeful as I already have the same BS6.2 1.2L N/A which is very refined until 100 kmph.

This is where the Altroz Racer favors the balance - the OTR Cost

Comparing Altroz Racer with Virtus Highline 1.0MT, which may not make sense to majority of buyers, but to me, yes.

Both 5 stars at Global NCAP & both cars are dynamically sorted(Virtus has a softer suspension though)

The power figures are more or less identical

120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh-screenshot_20240614073544_samsung-internet.jpg

When we compare the loaded yet VFM R2 variant of altroz Racer with Virtus Highline(because HL is pretty loaded and is VFM when compared to Topline)

120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh-screenshot_20240614073617_samsung-internet.jpg

There is a 3.7 lakh difference! And the Altroz gets these additional features over the Virtus HL

* Electric Sunroof
* Leatherette seats
* 10 inch infotainment + full TFT console
* 360 degree camera and lane watch assist

If we decided to go even VFM, and compare Racer R1 with Virtus HL

120 BHP Tata Altroz Racer confirmed for launch. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 9.49 lakh-screenshot_20240614074349_samsung-internet.jpg

There is a whopping 5.5 lakh difference!, for pretty much identical features set. Should I add, Altroz has a chiller of an AC which, sadly, the Virtus doesn't. I don't really need a boot as 345L boot space has been enough to me and don't really need a 510L boot(my previous car ciaz had it yet wasnt needed for my usage except for a few times in 6 years of usage)

Now the major question I ask myself is - Is spending 3+ lakhs for that gorgeous 3 box sedan look I'd justified?

From initial reviews, the engine is pretty good. The sprint to the tonne is also almost identical at 11.xx seconds, where the VW must be slightly quicker. All I need to see is how refined the 3 pot 1.2L turbo petrol is at normal usage (90-110 kmph cruising on highways).

I absolutely love how refined the 1.0 TSI is, for a 3 pot motor and how well it revs and delivers that power.

Dealing with Volkswagen and Tata after sales is like dealing with an alcoholic & a drug addict respectively. So no big difference there.
But Kaveri Tata has been phenomenal in my experience of having 3 tatas currently in the garage.

I have been informed that Altroz Racer has arrived in my city for Test drives. I will share my opinion after I drive the Altroz Racer.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 14th June 2024 at 08:16.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 14th June 2024, 13:30   #218
Senior - BHPian

People might be laughing at Altroz Racer, but it's been noted by even middle-aged lady drivers too.

My friend, who is driving a March 2010 i10, is looking for a replacement due to NGT's stupid rule here in Delhi. She's turning 50 this August and is still a fan of MTs over ATs. After test driving many CSUVs (Fronx, Brezza, Venue, Nexon, and Punch), the Nexon Petrol Creative Plus MT was finalized. Her only grouse was Nexon's size. But somehow she decided to go with Nexon and was planning to book it in the first week of July.

I casually forwarded her Racer's video, specs, and price list early this week, and things turned upside down thereafter. She will be booking a white Altroz Racer R3 after a test drive sometime next month. (We both had a test drive of the Altroz back in February 2020 and liked the car very much, sans some fit and finish issues related to the glove box lid.)

Now my similar-aged Beat too needs replacement next year, and the Racer will be a strong contestant along with Verna Tubo MT as of now.
myavu is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 05:39   #219
Senior - BHPian

I saw an orange Altroz Racer the other day in Hinjawadi. Perhaps some youtuber may have been checking it out. I thought it looked pretty neat. The orange has a glossy reflective look, attention catching, but not garish.
Old 15th June 2024, 12:26   #220
BHPian

I've scoured Youtube for reviews and previews and i'm happy to report that the stripes are stickered onto the hood. Most of us who are irking at the garish stripes will possibly find it a 10 min job to remove it.

Rest of the car looks updated enough~14 lakhs on-road BLR with ventilated seats, sunroof, 360 deg camera, cruise control, digital insturments looks palatable considering the mad inflation we witnessed post covid. Small cars are a feature, not a bug in big cities like mine. 120hp in a hatch lowered to the ground v/s 140-150hp in a 220 mm suv.

We know we'll prefer the hatch no?
shastryBLR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 13:17   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now the major question I ask myself is - Is spending 3+ lakhs for that gorgeous 3 box sedan look I'd justified?
Well, that will always be subjective. In my book, it is justified because the Racer looks hideous and Virtus is the most graceful looking car under 20L at this point. On another note, if you don't have a thing for three box look, shouldn't you be comparing the Racer with i20 N Line? The i20 N Line looks much better , will be more reliable and the base variant has all the must have features.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 13:22   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
On another note, if you don't have a thing for three box look, shouldn't you be comparing the Racer with i20 N Line? The i20 N Line looks much better , will be more reliable and the base variant has all the must have features.
I exactly have a thing for the classic 3 box look and hence comparing it with Virtus. I love how beautiful the virtus is.

Reasons for not including the nline -

1. Not as safe as the Altroz/Virtus
2. It doesn't feel as engaging to drive.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 15th June 2024 at 13:24.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 13:37   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I exactly have a thing for the classic 3 box look and hence comparing it with Virtus. I love how beautiful the virtus is.
Assuming you are running a business, check if tax benefit from depreciation can be availed for the additional 3-4L spent. Otherwise, makes no sense selling an Altroz to buy another despite an engine change.

On an another note, since your yearly usage is high, you should probably eye cars that last a life time, e.g. Crysta or Hycross etc.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 13:56   #224
BHPian

Quote:
A bit off topic but I must say that I miss those days when you could get a mid variant Verna 1.6 crdi at 13 lakhs that could do 0-100 in 9.15 seconds
V0id2003 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2024, 20:41   #225
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2615660
A dark edition with grey stripes would have been a nice compromise for the people who dislike the blaring white stripes. Racing Stripes is something of the 90s and 00s and have been so out of trend. Nowadays, even the American muscles sticks to subtle blacked out sleeper look for their performance cars. The stripes look so out of place just like the white ceramic trim in the earlier nexons. And what's with the orange accents. Everybody knows it's the red accents and callipers that gives the extra bhp.

Tata seems so disconnected with the market that they should seriously take some sort of online survey or even feedback after every test drive and learn why people are choosing the alternative even though they were interested in their vehicle initially. But, It's quite rare because I haven't yet received a follow up call from Tata even after service (Will surely get one from dealer).
Quote:
The following opinion is from my perspective as a user who has daily highway usage involving driving at consistent triple digit speeds on majorly great highways.

I have been eyeing the Virtus 1.0 MT for sometime now as a replacement for my Altroz diesel(which I absolutely love though). Basically because it was as much fun to drive (a bit faster to 100kmph too if thats what your idea of fun is), as safe, but had better NVH, got a 6 speed MT which I missed in Altroz diesel & looked gorgeous.

From initial reviews, the engine is pretty good. The sprint to the tonne is also almost identical at 11.xx seconds, where the VW must be slightly quicker. All I need to see is how refined the 3 pot 1.2L turbo petrol is at normal usage (90-110 kmph cruising on highways).

I absolutely love how refined the 1.0 TSI is, for a 3 pot motor and how well it revs and delivers that power.
Theoretically, the sedan with its longer wheelbase should feel more planted on the highways and twisties. I don't believe that the MPFI engine in altroz can get as refined/responsive as the GDI engine of TSI. But they should be roughly equal. So It may be better to focus more on the handling rather than the engine in various driving conditions (city, rural, highways, twisties) and see if you prefer the hatchback/sedan.
EDIT: Also, as @jetsetgo08 has mentioned, No reason to to update from diesel to the turbo petrol. You might gain some performance at the top end if you even use it, but you would lose out on the FE.

Last edited by Bagheera : 15th June 2024 at 20:48. Reason: Missed additional point.
Bagheera is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks