Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2023, 11:01   #16
BHPian

Re: December 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

I am curious about the segmentation of cars. The Harrier costs close to half of the Tucson. How are they placed in the same segment - D1? What is the reasoning behind this segmentation?
shailendrakr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 16:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
FADA Vehicle Retail Data for December 2022
I'm puzzled by Mahindra's numbers. Regarding commercial vehicles, one hardly sees any Mahindra HCV trucks and buses on the roads, yet its numbers are higher than Ashok Leyland's numbers, which is very unbelievable to me. Maybe bcoz of tractors? Or is it bcoz Bolero is also included here? (which would make sense as Bolero seems used more as a commercial vehicle than a passenger vehicle (eg. airport tarmac, rural agri goods transport, etc), but I see that its also listed in Aditya's sales tables under passenger vehicles under MUV category. Count it either way, but shouldn't double-count in passenger vehicle as well as commercial vehicle tables)
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 07:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Someone mentioned there is no Hyundai in the top 10, but clearly the Creta is there and has been for some time. That apart, the B1 segment graph indicates the Tiago as inching up the charts while its competitors like WagonR and Celerio are clearly falling. I am also surprised that Carens has not been as successful( GNCAP apart). Because it is decidedly better than the Alcazar in a 3 row configuration and even a base /mid trim Carens would be superior to the Ertiga/ XL6. On that note, Renault must launch the Triber with the 1.0 Turbo CVT engine. I am sure it will have a good demand. Thats the only model that has some inherent value proposition. The Kiger seems to be falling by the wayside after the initial success.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 18th January 2023 at 07:09.
Old 18th January 2023, 09:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I'm puzzled by Mahindra's numbers. Regarding commercial vehicles, one hardly sees any Mahindra HCV trucks and buses on the roads, yet its numbers are higher than Ashok Leyland's numbers, which is very unbelievable to me.
I too had this doubt, but, as far as commercial vehicles are concerned, it also included lower capacity vehicles such as Jeeto, Supro, and Bolero Pick Up trucks. I think this could be the reason for higher volumes in CV segment.
arj2695 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 09:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Steady decline in Fortuner numbers. Is it the Hycross effect? Also feel a small percentage would be swooning towards the Hyryder for it's pano sunroof, hybrid motor and other goodies on offer.
07CR is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 09:56   #21
BHPian

Steady decline of both Compass and Meridian. With no new products in sight, future is bleak. No Grand Cherokee on the list.
Old 18th January 2023, 10:17   #22
BHPian

Good to see Tata & Mahindra increase their market share. Tata's now has a full range and Mahindra is keeping to its competency. Maruti's market share is declining probably due to entry level hatchbacks going out of favour.
Wonder how Kia/Hyundai address Kia eating into Hyundai's market share as Hyundai was clocking aound 18% before Covid/Kia entry. Or as a group maybe they are ok with it.
Old 18th January 2023, 10:46   #23
BHPian

With poor product and pricing strategy, Jeep had this coming. Jeep positioned Compass as a lifestyle product but failed to attract buyers. The price of the current Compass is at least 4 to 8 lakhs higher than it ought to be. Selling 600 to 800 cars is a premium territory but Jeep is neither a premium segment like German trios nor play cost strategy now. It ended in the wrong place as Fiat cars did a few years ago. I won't be surprised if they close the Jeep brand and bring back Fiat cars again. Their only strategy for India is to get in, get out and get in.
swoosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 10:52   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
I am a compass owner. I must say I am worried if I made the right choice. Looking at the dwindling sales numbers(even with Meridien added)..

One would expect the manufacturer to do well in order to have peace of mind about after sales and service.
As a Fiat owner, parts have absolutely not been an issue though the brand was discontinued some years ago. Jeep is part of the same company (now called Stellantis) and parts are distributed through the same mechanism (MOPAR) so I expect that parts should be available for several years. Not sure about service. I lucked out because, when Fiat discontinued their previous sales & service outlets, they authorised a third-party shop very near where I live, who have been doing a great job.

Citroën too is under the Stellantis umbrella, so in one form or another I think Stellantis will be around for a while.
rsidd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 11:01   #25

I beg to disagree on the Fiat parts supply. I had my Linea waiting multiple months for parts last year. My FNG tried sourcing through MOPAR as well as other means but no luck.
There have been supply issues, price increases in the last year.
int3 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 11:58   #26
BHPian

They were supposed to launch the Creta rival a year ago! No new news on that! They have put on hold their sub 4mtr SUV too (per autocar). Not looking good for Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Steady decline of both Compass and Meridian. With no new products in sight, future is bleak. No Grand Cherokee on the list.

Last edited by GTO : 18th January 2023 at 14:16. Reason: Please type your posts out perfectly (spellings, capitalization, punctuation etc.)
sunilarkt is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th January 2023, 13:43   #27
BHPian

Jeep sold fewer cars than Mercedes-Benz and BMW? I hope alarm bells are ringing at FCA? Or are they just used to it at this point?

Name:  screenshot.png
Views: 827
Size:  38.3 KB

If there is at least one sensible chap in their management team, can that person please do at least one of these things?

- Drop the price by 4-5 Lakh (Both Compass and Meridian)
- Bring Meridian's 2WD AT to Compass
- Reintroduce MT for Compass's Sport variant and extend it to other trims
- Fix those squeaks and niggles

They had plenty of time to learn and improve after their Fiat debacle, but they didn't. Meridian was another missed opportunity. How can they survive at this rate? As an ex-Fiat owner, I feel bad for those good machines riddled with a poor management team. I've been driving an Ecosport for 5 years now, and the Compass is the only suitable option when I look to upgrade in a few years. But these numbers don't give me the confidence that they will stay afloat till then.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 13:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilarkt View Post
They are were supposed to launch creta rival a year ago! No new news on that! They have put on hold on their sub 4mtr suv too (per autocar). Not looking good for Jeep
Its right that the sub 4m car is not coming to this shore. Jeep is surely treading in Fiat's path. Fiat was more of engine supplier with their 1.3MJD and the day Tata/MG stop their engine orders, that's when Jeep/Stellantis will feel the heat.

All said and done, there's no car in this price range to match its driving pleasure, better to enjoy when its available.
bullitt1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 16:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post

If there is at least one sensible chap in their management team, can that person please do at least one of these things?

- Drop the price by 4-5 Lakh (Both Compass and Meridian)
- Bring Meridian's 2WD AT to Compass
- Reintroduce MT for Compass's Sport variant and extend it to other trims
- Fix those squeaks and niggles
Customer value is more complicated than just reducing prices. Currently if they are making lets say 2L profit per car, by reducing prices that much they will sell the same number of cars at a loss! On top of that everyone who bought one at a higher price are going to be angry.

Jeep needs to bring in an all new Compass, its about time. Meridian should have ideally been launched based on an all new compass than this old one.
Old 18th January 2023, 16:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Customer value is more complicated than just reducing prices.
True, and with their offerings today just don't seem to give that value. Even beyond the cost, if Jeep is able to offer a niggle-free experience, they'd be in a much better shape. And I'm not even talking of Toyota kind of reliability; at least as good as the pre-facelift Compass. To my knowledge, that one never rattled like this new Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Currently if they are making lets say 2L profit per car, by reducing prices that much they will sell the same number of cars at a loss! On top of that everyone who bought one at a higher price are going to be angry.
Yes, some people are not going to be happy. But FCA will need to take some hard decisions in the larger interest if they are to survive. I remember how Ford had overpriced the Ecosport riding on top of strong demand. Brezza's launch is all it took for Ford to correct their pricing. I would attribute a lot of the Ecosport's success to Ford's continuous improvements (maybe too many towards the end).

But all that aside, I genuinely hope FCA and Stellantis succeed. Because they offer some truly phenomenal machines like the Compass and the C5 Aircross. If someone from their team is reading this, "Please pull up your socks".
Vibhav-Van is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks