Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2023, 13:59   #1336
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

As per customer base, the idea to bring the 5 door Jimny is justified only if Maruti thought that they could offer the aam aadmi an affordable 4x4 which could double up as a city car too, otherwise they could have just launched the 3D Jimny without investing millions in a new assembly line.
Interesting times ahead.

A previous post by me where I quoted Mr. Cv Raman from MSIL talking exactly the same thing further makes me believe that the Jimny was meant for the mass market and to open up the 4x4 culture to a larger audience. .
But we are missing a point here. The millions invested for this stretched car is also due to the fact that people from world over is demanding a slightly bigger Jimny and I was watching a first reaction video from Australia where those guys were absolutely elated that this 5 door will be a perfect overlanding vehicle for them now without the compromise for space. So Maruti surely does not look at India being the sole 5 door market.

Hence not sure about the pricing strategy, for me, 12.99 is the sweet spot for the Alpha AT. Demotivated with the recent price leaks though 2-3 more weeks to go.
jackofsome is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 14:25   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofsome View Post
But we are missing a point here. The millions invested for this stretched car is also due to the fact that people from world over is demanding a slightly bigger Jimny and I was watching a first reaction video from Australia where those guys were absolutely elated that this 5 door will be a perfect overlanding vehicle for them now without the compromise for space. So Maruti surely does not look at India being the sole 5 door market.

Hence not sure about the pricing strategy, for me, 12.99 is the sweet spot for the Alpha AT. Demotivated with the recent price leaks though 2-3 more weeks to go.
I agree, MSIL will definitely look at exporting it to other countries, it has already been homologated in Japan and I am sure Australia will get it too, however, India has the biggest potential for sales if they price it correctly for the India mass market.

Last edited by Traveler : 25th April 2023 at 14:38.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 17:41   #1338
Senior - BHPian

In the brochure, Maruti has explained the Departure, Ramp Breakover and Approach angles in very easy to understand manner.

Though, I think, all these values are in unladen condition.

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-annotation-20230425-165928.png
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 18:22   #1339
BHPian

Do you guys still want to speculate the Jimny price after the Fronx debacle and expect that it will be priced reasonably Remember Brezza, it was way overpriced when launched last year but it looks value for money now when compare it with Fronx (Turbo) not to mentioned that it has topped the sales chart.
Trust me MS will suck every penny out of the customers in the name of niche product and reliability. We will be disappointed and hurt at first then will whine for few day but at last will take it with a pinch of salt and start blabbering and justifying the price tag.
Its seller's market now and consumer be damned!
khanmaj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 18:50   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmaj View Post
Do you guys still want to speculate the Jimny price after the Fronx debacle and expect that it will be priced reasonably Remember Brezza, it was way overpriced when launched last year but it looks value for money now when compare it with Fronx (Turbo) not to mentioned that it has topped the sales chart.
Trust me MS will suck every penny out of the customers in the name of niche product and reliability. We will be disappointed and hurt at first then will whine for few day but at last will take it with a pinch of salt and start blabbering and justifying the price tag.
I am not hoping that they will price it reasonably, they will try to price it at a premium, however they do have a very potent competitor standing in front of them in this case, notwithstanding their own Brezza as well. So there are a lot of factors at play for getting the Jimny priced aptly.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 20:13   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
I am not hoping that they will price it reasonably, they will try to price it at a premium, however they do have a very potent competitor standing in front of them in this case, notwithstanding their own Brezza as well. So there are a lot of factors at play for getting the Jimny priced aptly.
I agree with the logic however if we look at past few launches, Maruti is not giving a hoot to the competition and they price the vehicle at par. They did it with Brezza, GV and Fronx and tasted the success. I doubt they will give much thought to Thar while pricing Jimny though I would love to be proven wrong on this. Jimny and Thar are equally capable but will attract different set of buyer you know what I mean.
Old 25th April 2023, 20:22   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with the logic however if we look at past few launches, Maruti is not giving a hoot to the competition and they price the vehicle at par. They did it with Brezza, GV and Fronx and tasted the success. I doubt they will give much thought to Thar while pricing Jimny though I would love to be proven wrong on this. Jimny and Thar are equally capable but will attract different set of buyer you know what I mean.
You are right, the Thar audience may never buy a Jimny for the reasons we know. However getting a ordinary Joe to buy a Jimny would mean it has to be competitively priced otherwise it remains a very niche vehicle which doesn't bode well with the mass market seller that MSIL is.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 21:48   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanskar View Post
I’m just hoping they go for some introductory pricing like the other manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
At least they'll be bound to introduce some sort of attractive introductory pricing which is going to help folks who have booked early.
In recent past, MSIL has not priced any NEXA offerings with "an introductory price", and I believe this is not a special case at all for MSIL. I do not expect prices to be attractive for first few buyers/bookings. Forget about it !

Quote:
Completely agree! They know the Indians love the Gypsy. I don't plan to buy or book the Jimny, but do admire it as I learnt driving on a Gypsy.

An earlier point made i.e. related to keeping global markets in mind while designing the product, makes complete sense. Maybe the folks at MSIL are thinking- "If its priced at a 'reachable' point, we wont be able to meet the # of bookings made. If this doesn't sell at 'a premium', let's export if we get too many cancellations"

I just also noticed another cool feature in the Jimny's a.k.a headlamp washers. Image courtesy: Nexa website

hp52_vishy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 00:46   #1344
BHPian

If at all MSIL were interested to launch Jimny at a competitive price as a true successor of Gypsy, they could have launched it under Arena and kept Fronx under Nexa. But its not the case. And we can all see that MSIL is hardly even mentioning Jimny as a Gypsy successor, but positioning it as a World famous offroad vehicle with stories to tell. And to top of it all, this ridiculous strategy of rotational basis display. All this point to premium position and such planning from MSIL. I could be wrong. But at most they might keep one soft top version in olive drab colour reserved for Army under 9 lacs. But these Alpha and Zeta versions will be 12-16 lacs or more onroad.

Also, this delay in thier launch, the pricing, media reviews etc. not giving a good feeling about its strategy and position in Indian market.
offroad_maniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 06:36   #1345
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
So it seems Jimny will go well as a Mercedes G-Wagen rip-off, as Thar is an unashamed Jeep Wrangler rip-off.
Thar is almost same size as Wrangler and is a blatant copy. Except the boxy profile, Jimny has nothing alike G-Wagen and the Indian car buyer will never consider this as G-Wagen lookalike.

If it sells, it will sell for its small footprint or its popularity overseas definitely not for its G-Wagenish looks as it is nothing comparable to G-Wagen without any aftermarket body kit. This is not the case with Thar, its size, looks are Wranger rip off ready, right out of the Factory.
tarmacnaut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 07:11   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
Thar is almost same size as Wrangler and is a blatant copy. This is not the case with Thar, its size, looks are Wranger rip off ready, right out of the Factory.
To give you some more fuel.
I have made my Thar into a super blatant wannabe Wrangler!
(As many others too have done).
Frankly I’m quite happy with my ‘cut price’ Wrangler.
75% of what Wrangler gives at 25% of the price.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_0487.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_0348.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 07:26   #1347
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have made my Thar into a super blatant wannabe Wrangler!
(As many others too have done).
Great looking Thar
Agree, Mahindra really got back on Chrysler after the law suits, with the Thar's design. In the end it was the consumer that was benefited with the Wrangler homage that Thar is.
This is what I meant, Jimny is nothing close to G-Wagen, like the Thar is to Wrangler. If at all Jimny sells, it will definitely be not for the G-Wagen like looks as it simply doesn't have the size and not even 10% similar to one.

Last edited by tarmacnaut : 26th April 2023 at 07:28.
Old 26th April 2023, 07:47   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
Great looking Thar If at all Jimny sells, it will definitely be not for the G-Wagen like looks as it simply doesn't have the size and not even 10% similar to one.
Jimny will sell a certain number for various reasons. But considering the speculation around the pricing and overall practicality our Indian context, it may not be able to set the sales charts completely afire.

Its inherent great qualities cannot be stressed enough. Go anywhere baby tourer with a small footprint. Just hop in and drive. It somehow evokes a huge sense of freedom and fun. I am waiting to test it and test the upcoming 5 door Thar too.

Only after some level of testing can one make up one’s mind as to which vehicle amongst these is best suited to one’s needs.

Right now, I own a Thar and a Gypsy both. I know how much I love both for different reasons. The Jimny is also very very appealing for me because of the above reasons.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 10:34   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have made my Thar into a super blatant wannabe Wrangler! (As many others too have done).
+1 to that, Here's mine
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-20230426_103220.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 12:02   #1350
BHPian

Greetings Team,

My SA says next month 10th to 15th they have training on Jimny.

So, launch is near and hope atleast...

1) They send display vehicles to Hyderabad and Chennai before that!! Sigh!!!

2) And during the launch itself the pricing is announced as well unless they want us junta to keep playing the guessing game!!

Drive Safe.
matchvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks