Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2023, 19:33   #1096
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Jimny is definitely a well-built vehicle according to me. The doors feel solid and nice when one opens and closes them as does the rear boot door and bonnet too.
Since you have vast experience in 4x4 vehicles and own both Gypsy and the Thar, what is your feedback for

1. Bonnet hood- I could observe diagonal flex while opening/ holding.

2. Front LHS and RHS fender side sheet metal- the edges were very sharp and thickness was tinny.

I didn't particularly felt good about these two sections.

Also, did you see the gap between the rear bumper edge and the body vertical wall, where the boot door hydraulic strut is attached? Good cleaning and drying will be required for those hidden places. Otherwise rust and corrosion can start from those areas. I could notice something like rust mark near one hinge of the boot door.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230317_131404418_hdr.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230317_151716909.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230317_151755408.jpg  

Last edited by RijuC : 4th April 2023 at 19:35.
RijuC is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:40   #1097
BHPian

I am also attaching few underbody photos clicked during my 4th visit to the NEXA showroom for the Jimny on display.

Since I am not conversant with the RWD and 4x4 automobile mechanicals, can't comment whether good or bad or adequate. Request experienced Tbhians to kindly provide your views and observations so that we newbies can learn and understand the machine in a better way.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230401wa0112.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230401wa0036.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230401wa0040.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230401wa0032.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230401wa0115.jpg  

Last edited by RijuC : 4th April 2023 at 19:41.
RijuC is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:44   #1098
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Can you comment on the build quality? Is it decent or Maruti flimsy?
This was the summary after the EuroNCAP tested and gave the Jimny 3 stars in 2018, so mind you these weren't as stringent as today's tests.

Quote:
In the frontal offset test, there was insufficient pressure in the driver's airbag to prevent it from 'bottoming out', allowing the head to contact the steering wheel. The score for the head was penalised for the behaviour of the airbag and the displacement of the steering wheel, and protection for this part of the body was rated as marginal. The passenger compartment was extensively deformed in the offset test, especially around the door-frame and the score for the driver's chest was penalised for this unstable collapse. Combined with marginal dummy readings, protection for this body area was rated as weak. Although dummy readings indicated good protection of the knees and femurs of both driver and passenger, structures in the instrument panel and dashboard were thought to pose a risk of injury to occupants of different sizes, and protection was rated as marginal. In the full-width, rigid-barrier impact protection of the head of the rear passenger dummy was rated as weak, based on dummy readings during the test and protection of the chest of both driver and rear passenger was marginal. Tests on the front seats and head restraints showed marginal protection against whiplash injury in a rear impact. A geometric assessment of the rear seats indicated good protection. The standard-fit autonomous emergency braking (AEB) system performed well in tests of its functionality at the low speeds, typical of city driving, at which many whiplash injuries are caused. However, the Jimny did not qualify for these points as Euro NCAP requires good head restraint performance as a pre-requisite for AEB points.
https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/62964...-datasheet.pdf

shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:54   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
Since you have vast experience in 4x4 vehicles and own both Gypsy and the Thar, what is your feedback for

1. Bonnet hood- I could observe diagonal flex while opening/ holding.

2. Front LHS and RHS fender side sheet metal- the edges were very sharp and thickness was tinny.

I didn't particularly felt good about these two sections.

Also, did you see the gap between the rear bumper edge and the body vertical wall, where the boot door hydraulic strut is attached? Good cleaning and drying will be required for those hidden places. Otherwise rust and corrosion can start from those areas. I could notice something like rust mark near one hinge of the boot door.
I don’t know about ‘vast’ experience. There are many others who live and breathe 4x4’s day in and day out. But yes, I’ve used and enjoyed several 4x4’s and continue to do so.

I did open and close the bonnet from the front. I didn’t observe diagonal flex. But if one lifts it from one side, it is possible that there is some diagonal flex. It isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s just the laws of physics kicking in.

I did look at the fenders underneath especially. I did not see any fender linings. My Gypsy has fender Linings and so does my Thar. I need to understand this piece more.

There will usually be some gap between the body wall and bumper edge. It is there in my Thar also. And it helps. Because muck can get trapped and a little gap is good so that one can spray it off and clean it. Yes any car will require careful drying and cleaning that’s for sure. But most of these cars made of zinc coated steel ought not to rust much at all. In my observation the old Gypsys and all did rust in coastal places but never much in the hills and inland. Mine for example is 9 years old and zero rust,
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9449.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9450.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9484.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9494.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9483.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th April 2023 at 20:12.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 20:28   #1100
Senior - BHPian

The bonnet has no role to play in your safety/protection. The lighter it is, the better. I expect to see bonnet airbags in the future for pedestrian safety. It is just an aerodynamic and aesthetic surface that additionally keeps your engine and critical components protected from the elements.

The last thing you need is a "solid" bonnet slicing through the windshield/pillars and taking out the driver and passenger in a frontal collision.

The lighter it is, the better. It just needs to be "fit for purpose".
gsferrari is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 21:49   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I'm 6'2" and large built / heavyset. The softness of the seat foam concerns me. Is there any way you can compare with the new Baleno seat because I found those seats tremendously comfortable. I would also want to know if the Baleno seats will fit inside the Jimny and on the original racks without fuss, that would be the second mod I will do if the seats are compatible.
My father in Madras uses a Toyota Glanza 2019 model. This is the same as the Baleno. And yes indeed those seats are very very comfortable indeed.

I found the Jimny seats to be very comfortable but not in the same league of ‘cocooning’ which the Glanza seats provide. But then, Im used to Jeepy things and am happy with the overall level of comfort the Jimny provides. I am placing a pic here of me sitting in the Jimny (with ugly mug suitably obscured) for you to get an idea.

I have no idea whether or not the seat rails in the Jimny will accommodate the Baleno seats. But I believe that the width of the Baleno seats may not be accommodated in the Jimny. They will very probably touch in the middle.

My old Gypsy had a pair of high set Swift seats. They didnt really fit well. They were well cushioned but didnt fit perfectly on the rails so they used to shake a bit and they were too close together. They were much bigger than the OEM Gypsy seats and consequently for a tall person they were a bit too high. That Gypsy is with Mr Bibendum now.

My present Gypsy is absolutely bone Stock and you will be surprised how comfortable and supportive these stock seats and their seating position are.

I am also placing some photos of the frontal views of my old Gypsy, my present Gypsy and this new Jimny.
It shows the seats through the windshield. Might give a perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9477.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9559.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_7901.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_7921.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th April 2023 at 22:00.
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 21:50   #1102
BHPian

While Jimny manages to succeed in our market or not is anyone's guess, it is without doubt the most scrutinized car in our country. And the pre-launch scrutiny is set to continue for a few more weeks!

Last edited by Emvi : 4th April 2023 at 21:54.
Old 4th April 2023, 22:06   #1103
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to add earlier. I also like the Jimny because it has 6 Airbags.
My 2 year old Thar has only 2 airbags, my 11year old Mini Cooper has 6 airbags, my 9 year old Gypsy has none and had I kept my Yeti it would have been 12 years old now and it had 6 Airbags even then.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9572.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 22:08   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am also placing some photos of the frontal views of my old Gypsy, my present Gypsy and this new Jimny.
It shows the seats through the windshield. Might give a perspective.

Looks like your photos have been ripped off by this YT channel unless I'm missing something.
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 22:51   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
https://Youtu.be/ipYEBAnQ0uU

Looks like your photos have been ripped off by this YT channel unless I'm missing something.
Sir, that's me

I visited the NEXA PASCO Platina Building MG Road, Gurgaon twice on 17th March, 2023. Then on 21st March, 2023 visited the NEXA TR Sawney, Sector-29, Gurgaon. Last weekend, 1st April, 2023 I visited the NEXA Rana Motors, East of Kailash, New Delhi. 4 visits all together, and I have more than 500 photographs clicked on my mobile.

If someone connects with me directly, I can provide the EXIF of each of these photographs.

Also, yesterday posted my first review video in this thread. I am not a professional car reviewer. And have very little knowledge about the 4x4 electro-mechanicals. However, from my own knowledge and understanding, I made that video (obviously without any script or preparation). However, since the showroom was very cramped and they had many prospective customers, the showroom staff was not very happy and asked me to get down multiple times from the car. Also, they were not very happy while I was recording various seat positions and features.

Since I had to abruptly end my video, I tried to stitch together those photographs and made a video with my voiceover. If you check the video, it's very amateurish. However, I tried to highlight all the points I have observed and understood.

My intention was to inform our friends who have already pre-booked but couldn't yet check out the Jimny physically. For your information, I have shown the Jimny to many friends through video calls.

Also, for your information, this YouTube channel is not monetized neither I intend to monetize it. I have another YouTube channel which I started for uploading my dashcam videos and headlamp performance on suggestion of some Tbhians. My YouTube journey started in this manner.

You can check out the Twitter account with the same name. There also I have shared all details of my observations.

It's either coincidence or the similar line of thinking that we all TBhpians have irrespective of the mileage covered, years of driving experience or knowledge.

It's a great forum. But frankly, I am disappointed today.

Did you see that I posted a hand sketch of the dimensions that I measured? Do you really think any ABCD person can measure and provide the dimensions this way? Yes, despite of being an engineer I am not good in drawing. I tried my best to reproduce the dimensions properly.

Thanks and regards,

Rajat Chakraborty

[N.B. Mr. Shankar.Balan is one of the senior TBhpians whom I follow and respect a lot.]

Last edited by RijuC : 4th April 2023 at 23:01.
RijuC is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 23:03   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, that's me
Ah! That explains a lot

Great work on the content. Really enjoy the unique perspective that other YT channels didn't care to look into.

I had no idea that was you
gsferrari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 23:07   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am also attaching few underbody photos clicked during my 4th visit to the NEXA showroom for the Jimny on display.

Since I am not conversant with the RWD and 4x4 automobile mechanicals, can't comment whether good or bad or adequate. Request experienced Tbhians to kindly provide your views and observations so that we newbies can learn and understand the machine in a better way.

Thanks.
Thank you for the photos!

From your pic and the one posted by shankar balan, I find it a little curious that the exhaust pipe outlet as well as the fuel inlet are both located on the right hand side. Usually, they are located on opposite sides. Reproducing the pics for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9474.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img20230401wa0115.jpg  

directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 04:55   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, that's me
Did you see that I posted a hand sketch of the dimensions that I measured? Do you really think any ABCD person can measure and provide the dimensions this way? Yes, despite of being an engineer I am not good in drawing. I tried my best to reproduce the dimensions properly.
]
I saw that sketch in your post. And I think it is a good effort with a good intent behind it. It is nice to see a ‘real world’ experience based set of measurements on some of these small, yet important parameters that are usually ignored. So Thank You for taking the trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Thank you for the photos!

From your pic and the one posted by shankar balan, I find it a little curious that the exhaust pipe outlet as well as the fuel inlet are both located on the right hand side. Usually, they are located on opposite sides. Reproducing the pics for reference:
It cannot be assumed as the norm that the inlet and exhaust pipes are always on opposite sides.
My Feb 2021 Petrol Mahindra Thar has its fuel tank inlet on the left side and the exhaust pipe outlet is also on the left side. My 2012 Cooper has its fuel tank inlet on the left side and the exhaust pipes exit at the rear-centre of the bumper. Any light lorry or tractor might have its fuel inlet and tank on either side. But usually their exhaust pipes point upwards and can be on either side too.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th April 2023 at 09:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 09:32   #1109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
From your pic and the one posted by shankar balan, I find it a little curious that the exhaust pipe outlet as well as the fuel inlet are both located on the right hand side.
Exhaust pipes exit on the right side most of the times, atleast cars that are sold post 2000. Atleast that is whats followed by CVs so as to not smoke the pedestrians standing on the road side.

Fuel inlet is a curious thing. Though not as serious as the control stalks orientation, most RHD cars have their fuel lids on the opposite side to the driver (i.e. on the left side), while mostly European cars (designed as LHD) have it on the right side. A minor incovenience as compared to the control stalks orientation. Also cars like the Harrier/ Safari too have the fuel lids on the right side, eventhough they don't even have a LHD version.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 11:04   #1110
BHPian

Sales and Marketing head of Maruti India, Mr. Shashank has confirmed that the launch and sales of Jimny and Fronx shall start in the month of April('they are trying' he mentioned). He also confirmed about Jimny bookings which stands at ~23.5k and Fronx has ~16.5k bookings.
VivekWalia1986 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks