Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2023, 12:46   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
How about this amateur guy's YT video?

https://Youtu.be/UKy_geOWVvY

Since the South Delhi's showroom guys were not happy and asked to get down from the display car a number of times, had to stop the video abruptly. Anyway, it was their premises and prospective customers. Hence, didn't want to have any conflict with them. Most of the general type of features or aspects of Exterior and Interior were already covered by general Youtubers. The outward folding of ORVM was not properly explained. The ORVMs can take the hit from the cyclists/ bikers/ cows and buffaloes; gets folded backwards.
This is a useful video. Less style, more substance. I learnt a lot from this video and appreciate the effort taken by the gentleman. Thanks for sharing!
gsferrari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 13:10   #1067
BHPian

As per latest information we will be able to test drive Jimny by end of May followed by announcement of price. So expect deliveries to start sometime in June.
Old 3rd April 2023, 16:49   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I went again to the Jimny Showroom because it is quite close by.

I was able to spend 45 minutes of quality time with the vehicle and there are some little things I m going to put out here along with some pics, basis my observations.
Shankar, thank you for the detailed description and photographs.

I have a couple of queries:

1. How much is the loading lip in the boot?
2. How deep is the foot well in the front (and rear - if there is any difference).

Smaller the loading lip - easier to load/unload the vehicle with heavy bags.
Minimum the foot well - easier to clean.
I owned a Qualis for 15 years and it was absolutely FLAT. It was a breeze to clean it and also load/unload big stuff. Also the fully folding rear seats gave it the space of a ship!!

Last edited by dileep : 3rd April 2023 at 16:52.
dileep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:02   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileep View Post

1. How much is the loading lip in the boot?
2. How deep is the foot well in the front (and rear - if there is any difference).
Smaller the loading lip - easier to load/unload the vehicle with heavy bags.
Minimum the foot well - easier to clean.
I owned a Qualis for 15 years!!
Boot Loading lip is quite insignificant. Almost flat. No problem dumping large and heavy stuff into the vehicle. And when the seats are folded there is really a good amount of luggage space.

Front Footwell is normal and I found myself quite. comfortable despite being tall and with long legs.
Its not too deep like a cave. And there is no protruberances onto the left leg and left foot like there is in the Thar. I did not consider it to cause concern when cleaning.
Rear foot space is pretty adequate. Feet go under the front seat. Not like Thar where rear passengers find it hard to rest their feet.
Have put a few photos specifically to try and show a perspective of the above though not absolutely exact.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9552.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9551.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9510.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9506.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd April 2023 at 17:04.
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:38   #1070
BHPian

Talking about the price point of Jimny : Out of curiosity I was doing a basic check on how much Suzuki will be pricing this little beauty. So, I checked Jimny(3 Door) price in UK - and it is price at UK £16,790 i.e. ~ INR 17,00,000 lakhs. Now, to have an apple to apple comparison, I checked Ignis 1.2 (Allgrip 4*4, with bigger tyre size than Jimny) in UK - which is priced £17,750 i.e. ~ 18,00,000. So this shows that the 3 door Jimny (1.5 engine) costs less than Ignis (1.2 Engine), at least in UK(both 4*4).

So based on this comparison, Jimny 5 door production cost shall be almost equivalent to the production cost of Ignis in India(without 4*4), and if we add the hardware costs of 4*4 system, then the ex-showroom cost shall not go beyond 9 lakhs for Jimny Zeta. Anything above this price range will create a lot of doubts into the minds of customers who are looking to buy pseudo SUVs like Brezza, Nexon, Xuv300 etc etc. To make it a mass product Suzuki may price it at 8.99 lakh ex-showroom. Otherwise it will have the same sales phenomenon as XUV300 i.e. great car but slightly overpriced, hence less sales.

P.S. - Ignis in India starts at 5.82 Lakhs and top model goes upto INR 8.15 lakhs (obviously it is without 4*4).
VivekWalia1986 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 18:04   #1071
Senior - BHPian

@dileep
Here are two more pictures;
1. taken from the inside with the seats folded
2. taken from the rear quarter glass

Both show the loading lip clearly.
It isn’t flat. Yet it isn’t inconveniently deep as in the Swift for example.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9499.jpeg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_9568.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 18:43   #1072
BHPian

Jimny boot loading lip is approx. 30-40 mm. However it is not inconvenient since boot floor is at a comfortable height.

I am attaching a hand sketch for ease of understanding various internal dimensions of the 5 door Jimny (please consider +/- 10 mm tolerance).
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230317_151552062.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230317_151543707.jpg  

Maruti Jimny 4-door @ Auto Expo 2023-img_20230322_184543154.jpg  

RijuC is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 19:07   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
This is one of those rare occasions when being the first to do something is moot when what you've done is hot garbage.

This video isn't worth even a cursory glance.
Some video on the car for the time-being is better than nothing , just my opinion.

Maybe you'll find the below video better, watch 2:00 onwards.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd April 2023 at 20:15. Reason: As requested.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 21:47   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Some video on the car for the time-being is better than nothing , just my opinion.

https://Youtu.be/CIQExQnzRWY
So basically some random guy is already driving it on the road, and we in Kolkata cant even see it in flesh. What a shame. But good part is the dynamics he is talking about. Though i think we should take it with a dollop of salt. Nevertheless some point of view is better than no point of view. Loving this little car though. Also i am sure by the time i get the car, the accessories list would have swelled. Good times ahead.
jackofsome is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 23:26   #1075
BHPian

Speaking of accessories, what would be the accessories folks here are looking at? My use case scenario is the same as with my Thar previously, and the Duster AWD currently, mostly hilly on road driving in Himachal, with some excursions on the tougher terrain, and 3 months of snow and ice driving on strong gradients. Based on a lot of UK/Aussie/German reviews I think the following list of mods/accessories/upgrades should suffice, what would be your top mods?

1. Without changing the rims, up size the tires, hopefully to Yokohama G015, the only snow rated SUV tire available in India IMO, and works like a charm on snow

2. Some under-body protection like a skid plate, hopefully bolt on 3rd party one's won't be as expensive as the official Suzuki one's in UK cost as much as a new Alto

3. Bolt on roof rack to expand luggage space, though I read somewhere the rated weight capacity for the roof rack is not more than 30kgs

4. Covers for the exposed rear window defroster, mud-flaps, rain guard, a bonnet guard maybe as some South African owners feel the paint gets some chipping on the tip of the bonnet after a while.

5. If the pricing is decent, then maybe a 2 inch lift kit with springs and shockers, will make the ride a bit more enjoyable and make it a just a bit more off-road capable

6. Some sort of under-body and paint protection coating, haven't seen what's the latest and greatest in the market as yet, tips welcome!

Last edited by HillyThar : 3rd April 2023 at 23:28.
HillyThar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 23:26   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

https://Youtu.be/CIQExQnzRWY
Thanks for sharing .

Finally a decent (first ever) road drive video worth watching. Impressive on road drive and acceleration for the type of such boxy design and the engine figures. Hope it wont change much after upgrading to 215/75 size.

Articulation looks super and thanks to longer wheelbase than traditional 3 door Jimny, it will be now more stable and confident during off-road and will be great vehicle with upsized tires.

Hopefully it gets available soon for proper test drives and reviews.
offroad_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 07:25   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Chennai receives step-motherly treatment again. A metro doesn't even feature on the "roadshow". While I wait to see the vehicle in the flesh and make up my mind, vloggers are taking joyrides in cars that may end up in the hands of paying customers? Surely MSIL is aware of this incident? Are they tactically using regional influencers to pump up the hype machine before commencing the structured journo-junkets?

Good to see a X-large built driver getting reasonably comfortable behind the wheel.

I hope Chennai gets a vehicle on display soon. I just want to know if I am going to continue with the booking or cancel and retain my Pajero. I'm not interested in the hype and drama. This is a tool, not a trinket.
gsferrari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 09:09   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivekWalia1986 View Post
Talking about the price point of Jimny : Out of curiosity I was doing a basic check on how much Suzuki will be pricing this little beauty. So, I checked Jimny(3 Door) price in UK - and it is price at UK £16,790 i.e. ~ INR 17,00,000 lakhs. Now, to have an apple to apple comparison, I checked Ignis 1.2 (Allgrip 4*4, with bigger tyre size than Jimny) in UK - which is priced £17,750 i.e. ~ 18,00,000. So this shows that the 3 door Jimny (1.5 engine) costs less than Ignis (1.2 Engine), at least in UK(both 4*4).
The very basis of cost reference of the 5 door Jimny is wrong. Jimny is not manufactured in UK, Australia, South Africa etc. Hence please do not consider the $, £, € currency prices. Logistics and many other factors like fluctuating energy prices, uncertainty, PPP factors are built-in in that cost, and we start with a wrong reference point.

If we really have to extrapolate the cost of the 5 door Jimny being manufactured in India, we need to consider the cost of Jimny Sierra for the Japan market in JPY. The price range is approx. 1.7 to 2 million JPY which translates into 10.5-12.4 Lakhs INR. 5 door Jimny will be manufactured in India, Gurgaon plant. Also, the main parts and components are sourced and manufactured in India. Obviously, cost of locally manufactured parts and components for Indian 5 door Jimny will be cheaper than Japan manufactured (or sourced from off-shore for Japan manufactured Jimny). Design, Engineering, R&D and Testing etc. costs are significantly high for Japan make. Please consider all these factors while building the expected cost of the Indian 5 door Jimny.
RijuC is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 09:52   #1079
Senior - BHPian

@gsferrari - Im also pretty big built person and tall at 6 ft 2. But am definitely not as XXL as that Bearded Brother Jack in the Video. (There’s always a Bigger Bear!).

When I sat in the Jimny yesterday along with one more tall showroom exec, I had no problem with shoulder room and overall space.

I also am unable to understand how all these self proclaimed ‘youtuber experts’ get the chance to drive these vehicles before anyone else. Its totally ridiculous.

One showroom sales fellow yesterday told me he had driven it briefly near his showroom with 4 persons in the car - all showroom fellows. I honestly wasn't too happy about that. And I was also witness right there to one other weedy little mutt starting and revving the engine. I immediately put a stop to that with a ‘hard look and clenched fist’.
I suggest you take a trip to Blr and come see the Jimny. I am also shocked that these MSIL guys haven’t considered Madras. They should definitely have taken the fight to Mahindra Research Valley! Saying all this, if you view my notes on this Jimny below, I think you’ll get a reasonable perspective.

@jackofsome - ditto sentiment. And I absolutely cannot understand why this is not available to see in Calcutta!

@HillyThar - the immediate suspension upgrade would be great. Ironman has a ready proven kit. Have to check on underbody plates. And of course move to AT tyres - Yoko G015 would be my first choice too. Maybe a bolt on turbo too? Have a look at the thread on desired mods on Jimny.

@rijuC - I agree this will not be a challenge to load heacy luggage into. Even long things can be fitted with a little care when the seats are folded down.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 10:13   #1080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@gsferrari - Im also pretty big built person and tall at 6 ft 2. But am definitely not as XXL
I've been tracking your feedback after the two visits you made to the showroom. Seriously considering traveling to Bangalore to have a look see myself.

I'm 6'2" and large built / heavyset. The softness of the seat foam concerns me. Is there any way you can compare with the new Baleno seat because I found those seats tremendously comfortable. I would also want to know if the Baleno seats will fit inside the Jimny and on the original racks without fuss, that would be the second mod I will do if the seats are compatible.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks