Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2023, 16:16   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
One the SWB not being available and two the much nicer red leather interiors
It's sad that BMW stopped offering red interiors on the 3 series in India after the F30. It's probably one of the best things I love about the cars interior. Maybe it had less takers. Attaching pictures of my 9 year old Coral Red Dakota leather seats that still make people smile.

BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh-pxl_20220727_161152924.night.jpg

BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh-pxl_20220727_161216127.night.jpg
georgesunnyt is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 17:01   #32
BHPian

Don't quite approve of this move by BMW. Anybody wanting more leg space could easily opt for a 5 series. Why cannibalize the market of the 3 series? It has been the first option of most driving enthusiasts wanting to enter the luxury segment. Clearly BMW needs to be reminded of their tagline.
Nikhilvm4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 08:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- There has been no significant change in taxation in the last few years. However, the 3-Series has gone from a 45-50 lakh car to a 65 - 70 lakh car.
Seeing that 3 series is 65-70 lakhs means that it has kept pace with overall inflation.

15 years ago, the top end Innova was 12 lakhs and a Mercedes Benz C Class started at around 25 lakhs. Today, the former is easily 30 lakhs (for the top end variant), a ~2.5x jump. A 3x jump for a luxury car is not out of the ordinary considering more imported parts and generally well-heeled consumers who have more disposable income.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 02:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post
Let's not forget how the overall taxation works in these countries. You have to pay your income tax in the US or you go to jail. So the proportion of people promptly paying taxes is very high and many times at a higher tax rate. A better statistic to look at maybe the overall tax paid by the individual in comparison to their income - IT + GST/sales tax + Cess.

We have too many exemptions and exceptions when it comes to paying basic income tax; appeasement politics make sure some people who ought to pay taxes are given exemption because, they vote. Rich farmers to goons to businessmen, legally or illegally, evade taxes in our country, making the government look at extracting more out of those who pay their taxes promptly. Unfortunately, this means that they not just milk the cow that gives, but make it work overtime and over-extract. If our government lets go of the taxes that it can collect from those who pay honestly and of course avenues like car sales etc, they will have empty treasuries. If the income tax is promptly paid by all of the population that earns and the tax system is sorted at a holistic level, this could improve.

We also pay income taxes here, especially the salaried class is subject to extreme taxation. Are they given some waiver or exception to the double taxation imposed on them when they buy a car?

Companies and rich individuals in the US too are prone to evading taxes via shell companies etc. Sadly, it's not some magical place where everyone pays their fair share.

https://americansfortaxfairness.org/...s-tax-dodging/

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/10/i...ill/index.html

https://www.republicworld.com/world-...x-in-2018.html
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 11:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
We also pay income taxes here, especially the salaried class is subject to extreme taxation. Are they given some waiver or exception to the double taxation imposed on them when they buy a car?

Companies and rich individuals in the US too are prone to evading taxes via shell companies etc. Sadly, it's not some magical place where everyone pays their fair share.
I think we are already OT, in the interest of not digressing from the topic, I humbly request we agree to disagree even if you think I am not right here and conclude this discussion.:

Unfortunately salaried individuals are a minority in this country. Even there, the situation is quite grim:

https://www.india.com/business/state...-cent-5402776/

No place is magical and corruption is prevalent in every country, I am not debating that.

If you read news articles, the percentage of Indians paying Income Tax is between 1% - 6%.

Out of the 94%-99% of the people who have not paid taxes would have mostly evaded taxes and there is generally little legal recourse against them - unless the value of IT is very high in which case, the department conducts searches and raids.

https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/...519-2020-09-21

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...352021053.html

Whereas in the US, the worst case with COVID is 43%, down from 54% the previous year. The tax slabs are higher, the law & order system will almost certainly prosecute someone who evades tax. I am not talking about tax avoidance through an exemption under legal route. Lots of Indians have registered their headquarters in the US and treat Indian entities as cost centres and avoid taxes in India, which is legal.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/25/57pe...021-study.html
HighRevving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 16:06   #36
BHPian

I think BMW not launching the standard wheelbase 3 series probably has to do with the upcoming CAFE norms of BS6. The new X1 is rumoured to be launching with a detuned 2 litre diesel engine making 150hp down from the previous 190hp state of tune. This probably shows how much tight of a situation BMW is in due to new regulations. Maybe they thought rather than launch a standard wheelbase 3 series with less power, they would rather not sell one and plonk the normal engines into the better selling 3 series Gran Limousine.
georgesunnyt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 17:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesunnyt View Post
I think BMW not launching the standard wheelbase 3 series probably has to do with the upcoming CAFE norms of BS6. The new X1 is rumoured to be launching with a detuned 2 litre diesel engine making 150hp down from the previous 190hp state of tune. This probably shows how much tight of a situation BMW is in due to new regulations. Maybe they thought rather than launch a standard wheelbase 3 series with less power, they would rather not sell one and plonk the normal engines into the better selling 3 series Gran Limousine.
Arent the BS 6.2 norms similar to the European standards? If BMW can sell the car in Europe why not in India? Or are they withdrawing the standard 3 series in Europe as well?
Old 6th February 2023, 10:47   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Dropped in to take a few 330L LCI pics. Little too kinky for my tastes .

Random thoughts in no particular order:

Rear diffuser was in body colour which was strange, and looked odd in conjunction with the chrome tips.

That iD8 screen looks jazzy when on, but cheap when off. And the struts to mount it look aftermarket to say the least.

Grey colour looked nice! Front grill is not pure chrome but a dull chrome one. Black would be better though.

Overall, interiors were plush and classy. I believe there is good interest in the LCI, coupled with the fact that the new C Class is facing serious ground clearance issues in BLR speedbreakers
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh-img_20230206_093704.jpg  

BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh-img_20230206_093701.jpg  

BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh-img_20230206_093407.jpg  

BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh-img_20230206_093352.jpg  

BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh-img_20230206_093348.jpg  

BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh-img_20230206_093342.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th February 2023 at 10:52.
itwasntme is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 00:19   #39
BHPian

Just took a brief test drive of the 330i grand limousine LCI
I ve been driving the Octavia 1.8tsi for two years now. I have been dreaming to buy a 3 series from the E90 days when one of my distant relatives had one 320d.
Circa 2019, bought a Seltos, the experience changed my life. Sold it and bought an Octavia as lateral upgrade. Extremely satisfied with its performance and pleasantly surprised with the Skoda service

Was waiting to buy a 330i lci but the Swb version is no longer there. So decided to think about getting a 3gl 330i. M340i is once in a lifetime car as per enthusiasts, but way out of my budget. Even the 70 odd for GL is a huge stretch, but hope it would be worth it.

My observations
The overall car looks odd. The long silhouette and the longish cabin with a stubby boot. Though it maintains the 50:50 weight distribution, it looks like a long shouted daschund with a short tail. At 4.8m it is long, but never felt it’s length on narrow roads. It filled up our apartment parking space like a champ. See the “looong” side profile in the attached picture.

Ride of the car is much better than 330i swb, does not have the nose diving nature of the g20 320d SWB luxury line. I was pleasantly surprised by the ride quality and nimble handling. It took narrow and bumpy cochin roads with minimal fuss. I ve always considered my Octavia as a “sedanish” SUV but 3 GL rode like the softly sprung Octavia without the pitching and floaty ride quality.

Sport mode makes it a beast. You do get a push, got this mad rush which I missed after the swift days. M340i would push harder but it does feel like softer 330i Swb.

The large touchscreen though a treat to watch is cumbersome to use.

Waiting for the m340i test drive. Everyone s saying YOLO
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh-img_9373.jpeg  

BMW 3 Series Gran Limousine facelift launched at Rs 57.90 lakh-img_9371.jpeg  

sandygordon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 09:56   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

First time seeing a LCI GL in black. Looks great especially with the chrome highlights which otherwise are a bit garish in the lighter colours.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 22:47   #41
BHPian

M340i vs 3 GL LCI

Enthusiasts have been screaming about M340i and how great that car is. Took a brief test drive of the M340i as well. It is a track car IMHO. I won't take it on bad roads and I never felt it to be a daily driver. It's too stiff and not at all practical on bad roads. It might carve corners like a hot knife going through butter, but would give you a "jeep bottom" in the process. I had my hamstrings cramping up after a brief stint through traffic. May be I am too old for this stuff.

I don't mind being called a non-enthusiast, but I would pick the 330i GL over the m340i any day. I can choose the M340i for a track day for the sheer performance or for the pure music it makes, but someone will have to take that thing on a flatbed to the track.
sandygordon is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 22:50   #42
BHPian

Had a longer TD of the 3GL LCI. The only con I felt was the lack of under-thigh support for a six-footer. The extendable under-thigh support never touched the back of my thigh due to the knees-up position. Moreover, lack of lumbar support also hurts. This is the only thing that is preventing me from going ahead with booking the 3GL. Compared to the Octy the front seats are low and narrow for a six-footer.

Any solutions / suggestions from tall BMW owners?
I feel the Octavia L&K has spoiled me with the seating and excellent lumbar support.
Old 27th August 2023, 20:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
M340i vs 3 GL LCI

I had my hamstrings cramping up after a brief stint through traffic. May be I am too old for this stuff.

I don't mind being called a non-enthusiast, but I would pick the 330i GL over the m340i any day. I can choose the M340i for a track day for the sheer performance or for the pure music it makes, but someone will have to take that thing on a flatbed to the track.
What the m340i needs here is the adaptive m suspension which is just a 999$ add-on in the US.
georgesunnyt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 21:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
M340i vs 3 GL LCI

Enthusiasts have been screaming about M340i and how great that car is. Took a brief test drive of the M340i as well. It is a track car IMHO. I won't take it on bad roads and I never felt it to be a daily driver. It's too stiff and not at all practical on bad roads. It might carve corners like a hot knife going through butter, but would give you a "jeep bottom" in the process. I had my hamstrings cramping up after a brief stint through traffic. May be I am too old for this stuff.

M340i is very much useable, and can easily do most of the 4 lane roads/highways without needing flatbed. GL is a family car which can offer good performance, the M340i is a performance car which also can be your family car. While the GL offers bit more cushy ride at slow/city speed, it can get bouncy(especially rear) at high speeds on a highway.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2023, 07:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
M340i is very much useable, and can easily do most of the 4 lane roads/highways without needing flatbed. GL is a family car which can offer good performance, the M340i is a performance car which also can be your family car.
The above was a personal opinion, as roads around here are bad and I am not a big fan of M340i suspension. The usability quotient for me at least for the 340i is low.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks